Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use imaginary friends?

124...Next

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    cwaddell wrote: »
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but I believe deleting it is a bad idea, as its not just an object, its a sim. So its like deleting a sim, you don't actually get rid of it, just the physical part. It still has scripts firing etc. or, it still exists.

You may be right, although I had no problem in the past when I deleted it. I would delete them as soon as they showed up in the mail so they never became animated.
    That's the key. If the IF ever became animated, then there is an occult sim attached to it that needs to be Totally Annihilated (TA'ed) with MasterController if one must get rid of it. Otherwise, it's still just a doll. I would always check on MC's TA screen under MC > Sim > Advanced, filtered to Occult Type = IF on City Hall though to make sure a sim didn't get created and assigned to that doll just to make sure.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • jennytrujennytru Posts: 1,045 Member
    I enjoy playing with IF in Sims3 but only if I have the intention of going Geppetto on them and turning them into a real person. I usually change their faces after the big turn. Some of my more entertaining moments are when the kid is playing with their IF in front of their parents and the parents look at their kid like they are crazy and spin their finger next to their head. :)
    I've used them in my legacy storytelling and had a family mix of mermaids and IF. One of them got smashed by a vending machine though...
    Moonstone.jpg

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    SimKeats wrote: »
    I could be mistaken, but I believe deleting it is a bad idea, as its not just an object, its a sim. So its like deleting a sim, you don't actually get rid of it, just the physical part. It still has scripts firing etc. or, it still exists.

Deleting is only a bad idea if you want to continue playing that save.
  • JJFABBYJJFABBY Posts: 40 Member
    I used to like them, but I get annoyed by the way my sims are constantly occupied by them and never do anything but interact with the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 things. The last straw for me was when their parents started giving me routing errors, and I couldn't figure out why until I saw an invisible mop materialize in their path. Go figure.
  • JuudiaJuudia Posts: 23 Member
    They are just too creepy
  • Danged_HuskyDanged_Husky Posts: 39 Member
    I don't really use them. I'm seriously annoyed by the dolls, even, because I don't remember being able to get rid of them
  • wiredhanna67wiredhanna67 Posts: 402 Member
    I actually don't mind them, I enjoy them and find them super cute!
    If I'm playing with a certain family and don't want the doll I either enter moveobjects on go into buy mode and delete it or put it in the parents inventory.
    Usually I make sure my toddlers play with them enough so they grow up with them, then around teen years I'll either make the imaginary friend real or make it "disappear" most of the time I'll let them get married depends really.
    gLQgzBe.gif
    The voice in your head is just me in your headphones, Everyone knows that we're the devils hero's!
  • Chrissatodd1Chrissatodd1 Posts: 11 New Member
    I just turned my IF real when my daughter was a kid so she didn't grow up with her as the doll and then i changed his traits so he wasn't insane or a moocher then changed his name to steve rogers and married him off to my daughter, he has green hair, and he is cute now as a young adult. But when i got the doll it's name was bobo lol creepy. when he was the doll he'd keep booby trapping all the things. lol
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I just turned my IF real when my daughter was a kid so she didn't grow up with her as the doll and then i changed his traits so he wasn't insane or a moocher then changed his name to steve rogers and married him off to my daughter, he has green hair, and he is cute now as a young adult. But when i got the doll it's name was plum lol creepy. when he was the doll he'd keep booby trapping all the things. lol

This is an old thread but I've never managed to make one of my IF's real. My Sim had the skill and the potion but I just never got the option, don't know if it's because I play with Aging off or not.

I'd like to do it, may try again.

• harmonia_nectere7harmonia_nectere7 Posts: 33 Member
    I actually despise them with a passion. The toddlers constantly singing to them is like nightmare fuel. I've aged them into children a couple of times and will usually marry them to the kid they matched with. Once the IF fell in love with his brother, that was entertaining. I use Nraas Returner to get rid of them and I'm a much happier person now.
  • KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    I used Retuner to get rid of them in my newer games, too.

In my older games there are a lot of IFs made real, and I have entire families made up of IFs in one of my older games. I should get back to that save just to see whether born-in-game IF babies get creepy dolls from Aunt Sally, too!!!
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    You know, I actually don't mind them. They're kinda cute in a creepy sort of way, and they fit for some of my kids' personalities. I just like being able to choose which kids have them and which don't, so I installed a mod for that.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    I finally got one to turn from the doll to the Imaginary Friend. I had turned Aging back on so that might have been the problem.
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes, I use them regularly. It saves having to find a partner for your sim.... Lazy yes. Imaginary friends can be hard work. The later you change them to a real boy or girl the worse their personality traits. They are like toddlers who were never potty trained or kids who never went to school, and as a result they tend to have adverse traits. You will need to reprogram them, either with a cheat or a mod, or if you are going to play by the rules - you have to get them a lot of lifetime award points so they can choose a new personality. You can't change them to a witch or a vampire or a were or a fairy. They are forever "imaginary friends" with no great talents except for turning into an adult sized strutting doll. Unless, again, you use a mod or a cheat, but what then, is the point of the exercise? I do have one very old imaginary friend who actually has crayon scribbles all over her back and arms. She's an antique. The modern imaginary friends do not come with cartoon scribbles.

Another disadvantage of an imaginary friend is that its child has to spend hours as a toddler and young child befriending it and building the friendship to the point where the child gets the option to turn the toy real. And for that you need an adult in the household with enough skill at the potions bench to make the conversion potion. The sooner the toy is converted the nicer the personality, but in the meantime your real kid has wasted time when he or she could have been reading skill books, playing with blocks or learning to cook. It can set back your real child's learning progress and if you are letting your sims age and die it will possibly hinder their career progression. A properly skilled child starts with cookery and handiness advantages, can paint, do exercise - if they spend hours with their imaginary friend none of those skills are acquired.
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Yuck! They are too creepy.
    Earcat wrote: »
    Yuck! They are too creepy.

I've turned all my toddlers and child's dolls into Imaginary Friends (but not real) and made them part of an insidious plot by the Dr. Terrible Science Centre to take over the town, lol.

• EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Nick your kitten is adorable but he looks likes he's asking you to take that hat off his head!
    Earcat wrote: »
    Nick your kitten is adorable but he looks likes he's asking you to take that hat off his head!

He's outgrown the hat now.