Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What New Features will there be besides Calendar?

Comments

• loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    loutredor wrote: »
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Tanja1986 wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    How is knowing how many days it is until bunnyfest so great?

You have the question answered right here with our behavior. Extremely many people anticipate the release of Seasons, including myself! Counting down the days and preparing stuff for it, like game changes before hand etc. If we have an actual functional calendar in game we can create the same anticipation for certain events, such as family visiting etc. and much more. I for myself know it will help, I have way too much to do in my real life, can't keep track of my Sim's life as well. So I don't write anything down and as a fact never had a party event yet, because I just don't have the incentive to prepare for it days in advance and anticipate it. I know the calendar + the weather of course will bring tons of energy into my Sims game style!

This.

So your sim gets engaged...
    • You put the wedding in the calendar.

Is that it? NOPE!
    • Weddings need fancy togs! Schedule an event to go dress/suit shopping wiith the bridesmaids/groomsmen.
    • Crowded house? Book a honeymoon for some alone time after the wedding.
    • What about food? Plan a tasting of cakes at a bakery or sample meals at a restaurant.
    • Get the girls/lads together for a hen/stag party.
    • Future Mother-in-Law needs to chill? Have a spa day together before the wedding.

And finally...
    • Wedding Day! Do the thing with the ring.
    • Head off on honeymoon, get pregnant and start planning for the baby's arrival.

You can already do all this though. You don't need the calendar to do those. I understand it will make things easier to organize for you but you don't actually need an in game feature to plan things either.

I don't know about you, but I don't see the fun in trying to remember hundreds of events & activities for my sims when the game can do it for me and give me an in-game reminder so I don't forget. Also, it keeps track of when sims are busy/already have something on their schedule and what the weather will be like. Not to mention choosing dress code, activities and who knows whatever else we can customize. You guys are seriously diminishing the potential of this feature.

Apart for their work hours, I don't think sims outside your household will have a schedule, unless story progression was implemented. But more importantly, does that mean we will have to take every guest's work hours into account when planning a party? That seems more like a negative than a positive to me.

As for the other features you mentionned: can't you already choose the dress code for events? Just like planning parties in advance, it was such a basic feature in Sims 3 that I didn't even realize it would be an addition for Sims 4. But ok then, that's great I guess. As for the activities, I am not a fan of events with checklists.

Also, hundreds of events? What kind of life do your sims have? :D

Well, I would think sims that we invite to an event would get it added to their schedules. But hopefully in that case, the guest can 'take time off' from work to attend. We can currently invite sims at any time & work hours are ignored.

I don't think we can choose dress code for parties, but we can for club gatherings. That was just one example of things we can (probably) customize. There will be more.

You're right. Since I have hundreds of sims, I would have to keep track of thousands of events. Lol.

Things do add up, ya know? ;)

You seem to think we can make schedules for different households and they will still be effective when another household asked them if they are free. Even if that was the case though, do you think the events would still happen when you play another household? Like, you could attend the wedding or the party you planned for household 1 as guests while playing household 2? That seems unlikely to me, but you never know.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I have suspicions that the Calendar is going to be much simpler of a tool than some people are planning for.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

You have the question answered right here with our behavior. Extremely many people anticipate the release of Seasons, including myself! Counting down the days and preparing stuff for it, like game changes before hand etc. If we have an actual functional calendar in game we can create the same anticipation for certain events, such as family visiting etc. and much more. I for myself know it will help, I have way too much to do in my real life, can't keep track of my Sim's life as well. So I don't write anything down and as a fact never had a party event yet, because I just don't have the incentive to prepare for it days in advance and anticipate it. I know the calendar + the weather of course will bring tons of energy into my Sims game style!

This.

Is that it? NOPE!
    • Weddings need fancy togs! Schedule an event to go dress/suit shopping wiith the bridesmaids/groomsmen.
    • What about food? Plan a tasting of cakes at a bakery or sample meals at a restaurant.
    • Future Mother-in-Law needs to chill? Have a spa day together before the wedding.

And finally...
    • Head off on honeymoon, get pregnant and start planning for the baby's arrival.

You can already do all this though. You don't need the calendar to do those. I understand it will make things easier to organize for you but you don't actually need an in game feature to plan things either.

I don't know about you, but I don't see the fun in trying to remember hundreds of events & activities for my sims when the game can do it for me and give me an in-game reminder so I don't forget. Also, it keeps track of when sims are busy/already have something on their schedule and what the weather will be like. Not to mention choosing dress code, activities and who knows whatever else we can customize. You guys are seriously diminishing the potential of this feature.

Apart for their work hours, I don't think sims outside your household will have a schedule, unless story progression was implemented. But more importantly, does that mean we will have to take every guest's work hours into account when planning a party? That seems more like a negative than a positive to me.

As for the other features you mentionned: can't you already choose the dress code for events? Just like planning parties in advance, it was such a basic feature in Sims 3 that I didn't even realize it would be an addition for Sims 4. But ok then, that's great I guess. As for the activities, I am not a fan of events with checklists.

Also, hundreds of events? What kind of life do your sims have? :D

Well, I would think sims that we invite to an event would get it added to their schedules. But hopefully in that case, the guest can 'take time off' from work to attend. We can currently invite sims at any time & work hours are ignored.

I don't think we can choose dress code for parties, but we can for club gatherings. That was just one example of things we can (probably) customize. There will be more.

You're right. Since I have hundreds of sims, I would have to keep track of thousands of events. Lol.

Things do add up, ya know? ;)

You seem to think we can make schedules for different households and they will still be effective when another household asked them if they are free. Even if that was the case though, do you think the events would still happen when you play another household? Like, you could attend the wedding or the party you planned for household 1 as guests while playing household 2? That seems unlikely to me, but you never know.

I hope so, because I like that kind of interconnectivity. However, I was really thinking about sims we aren't playing. But now you make me wonder what would happen if we invited our neighbors to a party, then switched over to that household. If the event is still in the calendar, we'd get a reminder, and maybe a confirmation asking if we want to go? I mean, we can already be invited to birthday parties so hopefully they just expanded on that.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

This.

Is that it? NOPE!

And finally...

But that's already in game? If I play my game and its Monday, my sim gets engaged. I can say to myself, I'll do the wedding on Friday. What's the difference between the player saying that and the game tracking it?

Your ideas are good, shame we need a wedding pack to properly implement them.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member

This.

Is that it? NOPE!

And finally...

But that's already in game? If I play my game and its Monday, my sim gets engaged. I can say to myself, I'll do the wedding on Friday. What's the difference between the player saying that and the game tracking it?

Thing is.. when you have a ton of sims in one house it's hard to keep track of whose married's whose' birthday is coming up,etc. Try playing with a grandparents, either their son or daughter and their in-law, and grandchildren
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

This.

Is that it? NOPE!

And finally...

Thing is.. when you have a ton of sims in one house it's hard to keep track of whose married's whose' birthday is coming up,etc. Try playing with a grandparents, either their son or daughter and their in-law, and grandchildren

I do?

• SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    I would like to know op what would you want there to be in seasons you said there is no game play but you haven't said what game play you would want

I would like to see gameplay like we had in Sims 3:

WINTER Activities:

1. Snowboard Ramp -- Sims can do tricks and flips for exercise and entertainment.

2. Skiing -- Sims can go to the mountains, stay in a Ski Lodge and go skiing during the day.

3. Swimming Pools freeze over -- Sims can ice skate on their pools.

4. Sims Get Too Cold -- Have to go warm up in the house or ski lodge, sit by the fireplace and drink Hot Chocolate.

FALL Activities:

1. Bobbing For Apples -- Can be for House Parties

2. Raking Leaves -- Create piles of leaves that Everyone can play in, including cats and dogs.

3. Sim Gnubb Game -- Family activity in the cool, crisp Autumn air.

4. Bonfire Parties -- Guests drink Hot Chocolate, Hot Apple Cider and bring homemade dishes for a Potluck Dinner.

SPRING Activities:

1. Badminton Net -- Family can play in the warm, fresh Spring air.

2. Kite Flying -- Family can build kites and fly them in the Parks or Beach areas.

3. Bike Riding -- Family can teach kids how to ride bikes and go for family rides.

4. Dance & Play in the Rain -- All ages.

SUMMER Activities:

1. Lay on a pool float or pool LOUNGE chair and get a tan or sunburn!

2. Vacation on the Beach -- Collect seashells, find treasures and swim in the ocean.

3. Volleyball Net -- Family can play at home or in the Parks.

4. BBQ Parties -- Family & Friends sing Karaoke, play in the pool and eat great food!

This is just a minimal list of game activities... it's not difficult and would be easy to incorporate into our game. If only we had developers/programmers and EA's actual INTEREST in the Sims now in 2018.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    I would like to know op what would you want there to be in seasons you said there is no game play but you haven't said what game play you would want

I would like to see gameplay like we had in Sims 3:

WINTER Activities:

4. Sims Get Too Cold -- Have to go warm up in the house or ski lodge, sit by the fireplace and drink Hot Chocolate.

FALL Activities:

2. Raking Leaves -- Create piles of leaves that Everyone can play in, including cats and dogs.

SPRING Activities:

Play in the Rain -- All ages.

This is just a minimal list of game activities... it's not difficult and would be easy to incorporate into our game. If only we had developers/programmers and EA's actual INTEREST in the Sims now in 2018.

Getting too cold, or getting too hot are BOTH in Sims 4 Seasons

Raking the leaves been confirmed

and playing in the rain been confirmed at least for children no idea about others
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    Re-reading the blog entry—>some of the gameplay I can sort of spot are: Getting a visit from Father Winter, gift giving, and scarecrow. Those are still considered gameplay stuff to me.

We also still got skating, making snowmen, and decorations.

I wonder if the snowboarding would be included with soccer (a feature I wanted) for a Free Time pack or a Sports pack?

I’m still waiting for a little soccer kicking activity like in Sims 2 and Sims 3.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Soccer_goal

While it came in Seasons in Sims 3, it came in Free Time in Sims 2.

Sims 3, the basketball was I’m the store, while Sims 4 had it as part of a pack.

So, who knows if Sims 4 will include soccer (and other activities) in a separate pack or not?

Especially after the My First Pets, with a DLC for DLC, lol.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    build sand castles was never in a seasons pack or sun tanning on a beach those were in other packs those things are nice and I want them but
    I would rather have a beach pack for this
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited June 2018
    elelunicy wrote: »
    @graventhe wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    That's how I feel too. It is starting look that besides Santa there is nothing really gameplay wise. Especially when the calendar is a major feature.

I can't believe calender is a major feature, like literally this is super easy to do and EA tries to find the less exciting tasks to do in very lazy way to not work harder on this EP and make it exciting
    A calender is the major feature..i mean lol..i dunno whether to cry or laugh
    Any modder can make calender feature in a week it's super easy and doesn't take much coding, I don't get people who excited for this and forget all the awesome things we could do in fall in Sims 3 from haunted house to participating in contests

Calender, by and large, is a new UI feature (you click the calender icon to see weather forecast/upcoming holidays/your sims’ schedules and you can click on a specific day to create a custom holiday). It’s meant to help players to manage their Sims and make better use of their days.

It’s literally impossible for any modders to make the same feature, as creating brand new UI panels is not possible. Even the most advanced mods only use the basic existing UI dialogs called from the gameplay engine.

The fact that modders can't do it because they can't mess with the UI without destroying the game, doesn't mean it was all that hard for the devs.

Some people are saying how the calendar will be a total gamechanger for them and I just can't see how this is. SEASONS is a gamechanger (or it's meant to be) How is knowing how many days it is until bunnyfest so great?

How is snowboarding game changing? Or swimming in the ocean when I can just plop down a pool and do the same thing? The truth is, all of those features are specific to each simmer in whether or not they are considered game changing. As for me, I'm buying this pack for the holidays and calendar. I could careless about the weather or sending my sims to go woohoo in a rabbithole igloo outside.

That's how I feel too. It is starting look that besides Santa there is nothing really gameplay wise. Especially when the calendar is a major feature.

I can't believe calender is a major feature, like literally this is super easy to do and EA tries to find the less exciting tasks to do in very lazy way to not work harder on this EP and make it exciting
    Any modder can make calender feature in a week it's super easy and doesn't take much coding, I don't get people who excited for this and forget all the awesome things we could do in fall in Sims 3 from haunted house to participating in contests

Calender, by and large, is a new UI feature (you click the calender icon to see weather forecast/upcoming holidays/your sims’ schedules and you can click on a specific day to create a custom holiday). It’s meant to help players to manage their Sims and make better use of their days.

It’s literally impossible for any modders to make the same feature, as creating brand new UI panels is not possible. Even the most advanced mods only use the basic existing UI dialogs called from the gameplay engine.

The fact that modders can't do it because they can't mess with the UI without destroying the game, doesn't mean it was all that hard for the devs.

Some people are saying how the calendar will be a total gamechanger for them and I just can't see how this is. SEASONS is a gamechanger (or it's meant to be) How is knowing how many days it is until bunnyfest so great?

How is snowboarding game changing? Or swimming in the ocean when I can just plop down a pool and do the same thing? The truth is, all of those features are specific to each simmer in whether or not they are considered game changing. As for me, I'm buying this pack for the holidays and calendar. I could careless about the weather or sending my sims to go woohoo in a rabbithole igloo outside.

swimming in the ocean didn't come with seasons ether it was a game patch in 3 and came in another pack in 2
  • TreelifeCreationTreelifeCreation Posts: 401 Member

swimming in the ocean didn't come with seasons ether it was a game patch in 3 and came in another pack in 2

I thought while not directly in the seasons expansion pack it came with the patch that went with the season release. Kind of like lot traits came in a patch with CL but were advertised as part of the pack?
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited June 2018
    alllllll I know is I cant wait to get my hands on the new pool/skating rinks/swings and plus the awesome new hair and clothing. That afro/curly hair is tha BOMB <3:)
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I mean, a lot of things are being kept under wraps for release. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Everyone is really quick to jump to conclusions about how bad things are going to be but we've only been given a glimpse of the ep. I'm not on ea's side nor on the op's side of the issue- I just think we should wait until we have the full thing to start saying stuff like "there's no gameplay"
  • TahabataTahabata Posts: 82 Member
    > @graventhe said:
    > I was patiently waiting for the winter and fall blog to see if there's any fun *cough* NEW *cough* gameplay activity but all what's mentioned is a calender and drinking hot coca and inviting guests to a party..i mean WOW I'm really impressed..i mean besides ice skating (which is literally the only new gameplay thing you can do in winter)
    >
    > I'm sorry I'm really trying hard to find anything interesting to do in fall and winter I'm tired of endless summer and please no, drinking hot chocolate is not a new gameplay, inviting guests is not a new gameplay, you can already do that in game
    > I want GAMEPLAY please prove me wrong and tell how if there's fun gameplay I don't want to lose hope because seasons is my Fav EPs
    >
    > I could just forget about deep snow, no hail, no sunburnt or tan if there's actually good gameplay..
    > EA seems to do what's the easiest less tasking things and recycling ideas and talk about them and promoting them as a new gameplay, like no sorry drinking hot coca is not a new gameplay neither inviting guests to eat in your house
    > Why EA has to be lazy..why

I know how you feel ... Autumn is my favorite season, and all we saw was some pumpkins and a haunted scarecrow. They have already informed that there will be no hail rains and no costumed children knocking on the doors .... What should I expect now?

And this summer, very poorly presented ... No tan, no beaches, nothing really interesting.
    I'm hoping there will be some free upgrade in the future, at least to add some more basic functions. I hope that at least the wind and lightning make a big difference in the game. Like blackouts.
    Wish list:
    - Cars, motorcycles, bycicles. (Detailed animations)
    - Wild Animals (Interactive)
    - Thief and Celebrity (Better and more active!)
    - Bands
    - Farming or Medieval EP
    - Cyberpunk or Asian GP
    - Beach.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    *rubs temples*

Why are some people already making the Calendar and Holidays/Create a Holiday features out to be some kind of lack lustre feature when we don't have any sort of valid idea or information on how these features will actually function?
    they have not said there is no costumed children knocking on the doors
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    they have not said there is no costumed children knocking on the doors

Where did they say that?
  • BloodValkyrieBloodValkyrie Posts: 232 Member
    Of the top of my head, let me see if I can think of the gameplay that I've heard will be in this EP.
    A few seasonal activities, such as ice skating and roller skating, snow ball fighting, snowball fighting, using a kiddie pool, playing in sprinklers, etc.
    Thermostat that can be used for good or evil.
    Customizable holidays.
    Various little things such as leaf raking, umbrella usage, crops changing with the weather.
    Two new careers that involve plants.
    Integration with previous packs, hanging laundry getting wet in rain, outdoor areas in restaurants being more difficult to use, pets reacting to weather, possible club making involving seasonal activities, backyard stuff being more sensible, butler doing seasonal chores.
    Boy/Girl Scouts.

As for suntanning, hail, and snow depth ... well ... I don't care that they won't be in this pack. They all seem like minor things that I won't even notice. I know I didn't notice them when I played The Sims 3, even when that game worked properly, and it often didn't.

If you dislike this EP, then that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions too. I'm one of the people who are looking forward to this EP, even with the information we have so far.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited June 2018
    Well first off seasons is and does completely change your gameplay. You now have the option to take your sim(s) through an actual year with the challenges and fun of each season. You have to ensure they don’t freeze to death or overheat. They now must deal with weather changes. They can watch the news to find out the weather before going out (and dress accordingly)

On top of that we now have the option to create and celebrate holidays or use the pre-made ones. These new holidays include new NPC’s as well: We will be able to plan parities and birthdays ahead of time which definitely changes the way the game is played.

There are two new hobbies that we know of, beekeeping and flower arranging. Adding a lot of options to those that enjoy gardening and outdoor activity.

There is one new career that we know of with two branches.

Smaller things include a new woohoo, two new death types, swings, skating (ice and roller) a kiddie pool for toddlers, and gift giving.

This EP probably has more gameplay features then any of them so far. I’m not quite sure what you expected here? I don’t mean to sound rude but new hobbies, new career, new game functions and 4 new seasons are pretty big game changers.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    There is a lot of stuff we don't know yet and a lot things that we do know which actually including a major difference to game play and all that

Confirmed things-family visits, able to create your own holiday in addition to pre-made holidays (if we can create our own, we probably can take out holidays we don't want or change them. We get more customization, which is the one thing many people asked for along with weather). Sims can also be able to skate, build snowmen and snow angles, pets react differently to weather (some enjoying it more then others), new career, etc....probably tons of other things that I missed. There are also the return of sprinklers, swings, etc...we will be getting a kid pool for toddlers, etc...plus the return of beekeeping.

Some things might actually come with the next patch. One confirmed thing is glass roofs; but we don't know what else (from what I heard about with Sims 3, they got online dating, so that possible to make a comeback. We have to wait and see). We saw 1. trailer and a lot can happen by the time the game does come out and as more information is given to us.