Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Snow was always been a challenge in the Sims Franchise! #thisisshocking

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Luke wrote: »
    Lol @ people saying that TS3 had the "perfect" snow.

You can't say that TS2 snow was worse just because it was single, closed lots ... for what it offered at the time, TS2 got a lot more right compared to TS3.

But I am also wondering why we all forgot about TS1 in this discussion. I think that TS1 is very relevant to this discussion. Back when the game was operating on sprites.

anigif.gif

Did it ever really snow in Vacation Island? Whenever I played there, it was just snow on the ground and never any precipitation.

It was still fun though. <3 Even if it wasn't a "real" weather system
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Luke wrote: »
    Lol @ people saying that TS3 had the "perfect" snow.

You can't say that TS2 snow was worse just because it was single, closed lots ... for what it offered at the time, TS2 got a lot more right compared to TS3.

But I am also wondering why we all forgot about TS1 in this discussion. I think that TS1 is very relevant to this discussion. Back when the game was operating on sprites.

anigif.gif

Did it ever really snow in Vacation Island? Whenever I played there, it was just snow on the ground and never any precipitation.

It was still fun though. <3 Even if it wasn't a "real" weather system

No, it did not.
  • Options
    CrymCrym Posts: 8 New Member
    I've never had that problem with the snow, and I used to play Sims 3 on a low-end laptop.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I only had it happen a few times at very specific angles that really aren't great angles for playing the sims anyways. (actually the angles in those shots are also not angles I would play the game at.)
  • Options
    janitajasminjanitajasmin Posts: 44 Member
    Honestly I don't mind it that much, I'd rather they spend time adding other amazing features than taking all of their time trying to make the snow perfect. But I'll know more once I play it and see it in action
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    What a shame for you guys, I never even heard about that problem. I guess I am lucky to have always had a fairly decent computer (certainly not top end spec, but not bad at all). I would have been pretty sad if I'd had that effect.

Though, times have moved on since then so I guess I was still hoping for good snow in this version. It looked ok in the trailer, apart from the random piles of snow that sims were shovelling... so I will wait and see what I think of it after purchase.

Snow looked horrible in sims 3 for people who didn't have good PC's, which sadly I'd guess were a pretty decent chunk of people considering they focused so much on making sims 4 more accessible. On my old PC the snow looked absolutely terrible.

Here's a picture of what snow looked like for many users including me on my old pc, (pic not mine)
    jznzlgzm2dmd.jpg

The issue was that snow looked terrible without advanced rendering on, and advanced rendering was pretty intensive, I wound up just sucking it up and taking the FPS drop with advanced rendering on, but I was always laggy during the snow time.

Never had advanced rendering enabled on my laptop and my snow/worlds absolutely did not look like this. If your game looked like this then you’re machine was below minimum specs.

Also, they’ve said snow was not a performance issue. So I’m not sure what you mean by “making snow more accessible”, but you are not on the right track with that statement. They went with the flat retexture because the art budget is much smaller for this game and they are forced to use much fewer polygons per object - everywhere.

I never said more accessible, and I followed up my comment with another stating that they said sims 4 wasnt because of performance.

Your whole art budget thing is purely speculative unless there's a post I haven't seen. The fewer polygons is to make it easier on old computers which sims 3 was notorious for being bad with.
    Cynna wrote: »
    What a shame for you guys, I never even heard about that problem. I guess I am lucky to have always had a fairly decent computer (certainly not top end spec, but not bad at all). I would have been pretty sad if I'd had that effect.

Though, times have moved on since then so I guess I was still hoping for good snow in this version. It looked ok in the trailer, apart from the random piles of snow that sims were shovelling... so I will wait and see what I think of it after purchase.

Snow looked horrible in sims 3 for people who didn't have good PC's, which sadly I'd guess were a pretty decent chunk of people considering they focused so much on making sims 4 more accessible. On my old PC the snow looked absolutely terrible.

Here's a picture of what snow looked like for many users including me on my old pc, (pic not mine)
    jznzlgzm2dmd.jpg

The issue was that snow looked terrible without advanced rendering on, and advanced rendering was pretty intensive, I wound up just sucking it up and taking the FPS drop with advanced rendering on, but I was always laggy during the snow time.

Did that PC meet recommended system requirements? Not just some, but all (memory, cpu, gpu)?

If so, that's pretty bad.

It met the minimum requirements, but not recommended. Yes, the fault was entirely my PC, but many other users had that issue as well, which is how I found it so easily. Another common issue were the distorted pets.

They said they couldn’t get snow at an acceptable visual quality level, and did not want to repeat mistakes they have made in the past. This is clearly a reference to the ball pit which suffered from the smaller art budget resulting in an object with fewer polygons, and originally a ridiculously bad surface texture.

I think this is the case. I am pretty sure this is exactly what Grant was implying when he responded to someone inquiring about the lack of snow depth who also mentioned the low poly ballpit.

However, visually speaking, after seeing this GIF, I do think the snow in TS4 is the best looking out of the whole franchise. Certainly wish we could have had snow depth though.

I have no idea if this is representative for the actual snow in the game, but I wouldn’t want it to glitter myself. It’s a shame snow apparently didn’t show properly on people’s computers, but in my game it’s often looked absolutely stunning. Especially in Sunlit Tides and Midnight Hollow <3 And in Bridgeport I had that glitch (I do recognize it, in that world) but I love how grim BP looks in wintertime.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited June 2018
    Wasn't the entire world of Aurora skies completely bugged with snow for almost everyone? Was that ever patched? I never bought that world because of it.

I remember the team going on and on about how beautiful it looked in the winter lol.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Wasn't the entire world of Aurora skies completely bugged with snow for almost everyone? Was that ever patched? I never bought that world because of it.

I remember the team going on and on about how beautiful it looked in the winter lol.

The way that world was designed caused a conflict with snow, but it was only an issue with that world because the ocean level was higher than normal.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Aurora Skies was my favorite world and I never had an issue with snow there.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options

I played there briefly and I only remember the doorsteps being a bit strange (without snow). The rest looked fine in my game.

Raven_917_zpsda361c04.png
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Yeah, these “mega issues” from Sims 3 are only becoming an issue now that Sims 4 scrapped snow and people feel they need to justify that.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2018

Yeah, these “mega issues” from Sims 3 are only becoming an issue now that Sims 4 scrapped snow and people feel they need to justify that.

It is almost like that with every pack that comes out and it has it shortcomings. I look at CL as one when it was found out you can't build apts from scratch or even have apts in other neighborhoods and in Sims 2 and to an certain extent in Sims 3 you can make them anywhere you want.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    These are some really good points and I am glad this was bought up. People dont seem to understand that sometimes things need to be sacrificed in order to improve on other aspects, like snow being less detailed in TS4 because it will be applied to more areas, unlike TS3. That snow on TS2 looks horrible. And the graphics in TS3 in general was horrible.

Paying attention to such small details such as snow is probably hard, and understandable. Maybe some of you guys should learn how to code. :*
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options

No no. Remove the quotation marks. Those were mega issues.

There are a couple of people justifying the snow compared to the huge mass complaining about the lack of depth. Play the game first and chill.
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    ElenPink wrote: »
    These are some really good points and I am glad this was bought up. People dont seem to understand that sometimes things need to be sacrificed in order to improve on other aspects, like snow being less detailed in TS4 because it will be applied to more areas, unlike TS3. That snow on TS2 looks horrible. And the graphics in TS3 in general was horrible.

Paying attention to such small details such as snow is probably hard, and understandable. Maybe some of you guys should learn how to code. :*
    I think the graphics are opinions - Many people prefer the other graphics to the TS4 cartoon style.

And I have to admit I don't understand that sentence - "snow being less detailed in TS4 because it will be applied to more areas, unlike TS3"
    TS3 had a completely open world while TS4 only has one active neighbourhood at a time. How is that more of an area than TS3?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Oh yeah, because dozens of threads

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/650201/buyer-beware-aurora-skiess-ugly-snow-problem-simgurusmitty-response

and THIS garbage:

rt0fmEI.jpg

lgGBvpA.jpg

1CeORAF.jpg
    czrtwFC.jpg

4lGNNXq.jpg

So these weren't "Mega issues" but the lack of deep snow because they decided the snow didn't look good with the sims 4 IS a mega issue? Seems a bit hypocritical. The whole title of this thread is about issues the previous games have had with snow, because each iteration has had their fair share of issues.

But I PROMISE you if one of the sims 4's worlds looked like this with snow people would be up in arms. People WERE up in arms, there were dozens of threads of angry customers.

And they didn't scrap snow, there's no deep snow. It's okay to be upset but don't lie.

Why is it okay to constantly judge the lack of snow depth over and over and because of it Sims 4 seasons is a half baked expansion without knowing the rest of the details, but when people bring up VALID points about the lack of sims 3's greenhouse and even selling one in the store like less than a month later, and an entire WORLD not working with the snow it's simply okay and no big deal, just a tiny issue with the sea height in the world.
  • Options

I think the graphics are opinions - Many people prefer the other graphics to the TS4 cartoon style.

And I have to admit I don't understand that sentence - "snow being less detailed in TS4 because it will be applied to more areas, unlike TS3"
    TS3 had a completely open world while TS4 only has one active neighbourhood at a time. How is that more of an area than TS3?

My bad, I get TS2 and TS3 jumbled up. TS2 is not open world, TS3 is.
    I still find that the graphics in TS3 are of lower quality than TS4. I rather have "grass painted white" over balloon faces.
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I played there briefly and I only remember the doorsteps being a bit strange (without snow). The rest looked fine in my game.

Raven_917_zpsda361c04.png

They might have patched it since then, it's been a LONG time.
  • Options
    silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    I can say.. TS3 was poorly rendered. even some high end, top of the notch gaming PC's struggled to run it. TS3 was utter garbage, the only way I could get it to run properly was to install mods to fix EA's mess. that including stuck cars, stuck NPCs, NPC inventory clutter....some of these things I even had to fix myself.

and if it ran for you was a gamble..... my first laptop which meat the minimum requirements ran it okay, but pets looked a mess and snow was broken. my cheap asus which barely even met the requirements loaded slow but the world looked perfect, then my pretty decent HP laptop basically didn't run it at all and broke.

hell, my boyfriends 2012 macbook air with some poor graphics card and 4gb ram ran the game better than my HP.

snow was a mess, so was the sims 3.

I don't see why its such a big deal. I'd rather have something that works over something that breaks and causes my game to crash.

and don't get me started on isla paradiso.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    My sims 3 game crashed all the time. I lost so many saves I can't even remember how many. I thought it was my low-end computer so I bought a top of the line computer. Same thing. I could not play Isla Paradiso without a mod. So despite the fact that I loved the TS3 graphics more than the ones in 4 I much prefer playing in 4 because I get to keep many generations of my families. So the fact that I don't have this or that item just doesn't impress me when people bring it up.
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member

T hope you're all wrong, no offense, (I don't want a fight. just an argument from opposing sides)

The Sims 4 may not have open worlds because each world are separated by neighborhoods. But if we compare the graphics style of the 3 and 4. It really is a big difference.

"TS3 had a completely open world while TS4 only has one active neighbourhood at a time. How is that more of an area than TS3?"

I have already said this but,

TS4 has a total of about 40+ neighborhoods I think (excluding hidden worlds and lots from GTW). They'll want every world and nighborhood to be more detailed in all seasons, not just winter. And because we're talking about seasons, not just winter. Multiply the numbers by 4. I think it'll take them around 200 times of revamping every single world and neighborhood.

y'all got bread?
  • Options
    edited June 2018

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/650201/buyer-beware-aurora-skiess-ugly-snow-problem-simgurusmitty-response

and THIS garbage:

rt0fmEI.jpg

lgGBvpA.jpg

1CeORAF.jpg
    czrtwFC.jpg

4lGNNXq.jpg

So these weren't "Mega issues" but the lack of deep snow because they decided the snow didn't look good with the sims 4 IS a mega issue? Seems a bit hypocritical. The whole title of this thread is about issues the previous games have had with snow, because each iteration has had their fair share of issues.

But I PROMISE you if one of the sims 4's worlds looked like this with snow people would be up in arms. People WERE up in arms, there were dozens of threads of angry customers.

And they didn't scrap snow, there's no deep snow. It's okay to be upset but don't lie.

Why is it okay to constantly judge the lack of snow depth over and over and because of it Sims 4 seasons is a half baked expansion without knowing the rest of the details, but when people bring up VALID points about the lack of sims 3's greenhouse and even selling one in the store like less than a month later, and an entire WORLD not working with the snow it's simply okay and no big deal, just a tiny issue with the sea height in the world.
    The point is, a point is being made here of snow in Sims 3 because there were glitches in a few worlds. The cracks in Bridgeport and apparently another world (still not sure which one is shown in the OP/article they’re coming from) and the Aurora Skies issue (which surprises me because snow in Aurora Skies simply didn’t look that awful in my game; so maybe they did patch it in, or maybe it simply does come down to the graphics card?; bottomline is I don’t have that problem). In Bridgeport it most definitely is not a mega issue, at least, not to me. I love Bridgeport in the snow, the cracks just show when you turn the camera in a certain way.

But more importantly, the comparison isn’t applicable at all where it comes to being ‘hypocritical’, because in Sims 3 the issues shown are glitches in 2 worlds (or 3?) - there were 19 in total - and in Sims 4 it’s a choice, not a glitch, it will be everywhere (to be clear, I don’t think I’d have an issue with the flat snow myself so I’m not speaking for myself here, but people are entitled to choose what they do or don’t care about). So basically the article this topic is referring to is comparing very rare glitches to a universal choice. I find it kind of dubious by the way people keep presenting the statements in this article as truth when Grahame Nardone reacted surprised and stated Sims 3 shouldn’t look like this. And I can reassure and confirm his statements, the game doesn’t look like that.

I loved Sims 3 when I was playing the game on medium settings (before Seasons so I don’t know how snow looks on medium) because graphics at the end of the day are just that, graphics. Once I could change settings to highest after buying a suitable computer another element was added to that: beauty. After buying that new computer Sims 3 for me just has one downside in this respect: I just can’t stop taking pictures all the time because by breath is taken away constantly.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member

and THIS garbage:

rt0fmEI.jpg

lgGBvpA.jpg

1CeORAF.jpg
    czrtwFC.jpg

4lGNNXq.jpg

The thread you mentionned and the pictures you took from it refer to a bug relative to one particular world, which didn't treat snow properly. It was alnowledged by the team as a bug. It has nothing to do with the general execution of snow in the game.
  • Options
    loutredor wrote: »

and THIS garbage:

rt0fmEI.jpg

lgGBvpA.jpg

1CeORAF.jpg
    czrtwFC.jpg

4lGNNXq.jpg

The thread you mentionned and the pictures you took from it refer to a bug relative to one particular world, which didn't treat snow properly. It was alnowledged by the team as a bug. It has nothing to do with the general execution of snow in the game.

Again, the title of the thread is the challenges of snow. I have shared an example of one of those challenges.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

and THIS garbage:

rt0fmEI.jpg

lgGBvpA.jpg

1CeORAF.jpg
    czrtwFC.jpg

4lGNNXq.jpg

The point is, a point is being made here of snow in Sims 3 because there were glitches in a few worlds. The cracks in Bridgeport and apparently another world (still not sure which one is shown in the OP/article they’re coming from) and the Aurora Skies issue (which surprises me because snow in Aurora Skies simply didn’t look that awful in my game; so maybe they did patch it in, or maybe it simply does come down to the graphics card?; bottomline is I don’t have that problem). In Bridgeport it most definitely is not a mega issue, at least, not to me. I love Bridgeport in the snow, the cracks just show when you turn the camera in a certain way.

But more importantly, the comparison isn’t applicable at all where it comes to being ‘hypocritical’, because in Sims 3 the issues shown are glitches in 2 worlds (or 3?) - there were 19 in total - and in Sims 4 it’s a choice, not a glitch, it will be everywhere (to be clear, I don’t think I’d have an issue with the flat snow myself so I’m not speaking for myself here, but people are entitled to choose what they do or don’t care about). So basically the article this topic is referring to is comparing very rare glitches to a universal choice. I find it kind of dubious by the way people keep presenting the statements in this article as truth when Grahame Nardone reacted surprised and stated Sims 3 shouldn’t look like this. And I can reassure and confirm his statements, the game doesn’t look like that.

I loved Sims 3 when I was playing the game on medium settings (before Seasons so I don’t know how snow looks on medium) because graphics at the end of the day are just that, graphics. Once I could change settings to highest after buying a suitable computer another element was added to that: beauty. After buying that new computer Sims 3 for me just has one downside in this respect: I just can’t stop taking pictures all the time because by breath is taken away constantly.

I think the world in the OP is Isla paradiso for the pictures. I'm not certain but the fence and the colorful buildings in the background have a similar vibe to that world. That would be the third world I'm guessing.

i also agree with what you are saying wholeheartedly. :)