March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I could use your opinions on this house I'm working on :)

AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
edited June 2018 in The Sims 3 Builders
Okay, so this is a house WIP that I recently found in my folder that I forgot about and started working on again. Pictures are of both the front and back yard. And this is very much a work in progress so anything crappy you see already I’ll most likely be getting rid of soon enough :P

Anyway I am absolutely clueless when it comes to modern houses so I’d like your opinions: Do you like having a two-story window above the main story?

Front yard
tumblr_p9rooi8RI81xq9hdmo2_540.jpg

tumblr_p9rooi8RI81xq9hdmo4_540.jpg

Back yard
tumblr_p9rooi8RI81xq9hdmo1_540.jpg

tumblr_p9rooi8RI81xq9hdmo5_540.jpg

Or do you prefer the one square story window above the main story?
Front yard:
tumblr_inline_p9roqpj9RE1vhkp6x_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9rolefq801vhkp6x_540.jpg

Back yard:
tumblr_inline_p9rp0hRJc91vhkp6x_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9rp0msk5Y1vhkp6x_540.jpg

Feel free to give opinions and input. It will be very much appreciated :)
Post edited by Amphora on

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It's lovely and you have got the sense of space and light which is the hallmark of modern houses. It is also good to see a darker colour used for the exterior walls as most people associate modern with stark white. I once did a modern house with a teal blue render and wood for contrast and added textural detail. https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7815008nd

The only thing I might do is move some of your trees further from the building so the clean lines of the design are more prominent.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited June 2018
    Thank you for your kind words :)
    I based the house off of this blueprint
    w1024.jpg?v=16

But if you had to choose, do you think having a double window above the main story or do you think the single window is fine? I can’t decide. Lol

And I couldn’t see the house you made on the Sims 3 site. I think it got deleted :/
    I’m sure it was much lovelier than my house though. I very much prefer building cottages than moderns lol
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I would leave the double window as it gives the illusion of height.
    Rabbits! All my stuff gets deleted. It wasn't particularly good but I had based it on a real house that I saw while I was on holiday in Cornwall.

And I wish I could build cottages like you do.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,392 Member
    It looks superb. @Amphora. And I love how it's got plenty of windows to let in that light.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Thank you, @Nikkei_Simmer! So you like the double windows as well? The more I look at the pics the more I’m starting to prefer them too. Next time I go in my game I’ll have to change it up :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It’s so dark. Looks haunted
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It’s so dark. Looks haunted

It does have a ghost living there actually... :o
    She made the mistake of ranting about death too many times so her family living there has to deal with periodic hauntings of the toilet :p
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    I like the two! Looks more roomy.
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,392 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    Thank you, @Nikkei_Simmer! So you like the double windows as well? The more I look at the pics the more I’m starting to prefer them too. Next time I go in my game I’ll have to change it up :)

tumblr_p9rooi8RI81xq9hdmo2_540.jpg

I'm really liking what you did with the double windows. :) and the storey above.

I also like the other one as well...you should actually save both of them to bin. :) Variety. :)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I've decided on doing the double windows above the main story. :)
    I appreciate your opinions!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I love the double windows. The more the better.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm different, I like the single windows. It still gives the impression of space and light but in a more compact way without wasted space. I think the double ones look too tall.

That aside, I rarely download modern, but this one is gorgeous.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • polrbearpolrbear Posts: 938 Member
    I agree with @Pary on the single windows :)

The double window seems very "busy" to me, but that's just my opinion :)
    I play Sims 2, Sims 3, Sims 4, and The Urbz: Sims in the City on gamecube and ds. Main Game: Sims 352033322186_3a08467dc6_o.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Love the original inspiration house. You've done a good job of recreating it.

I would make the chimney shorter though by using a half wall on the top instead of a full height wall.
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I'm with pary and polrbear on liking the single windows. I always prefer a shorter roof and I love using friezes to add height. So, though the first is gorgeous if playing with an actual second story, I really, really like the second version best. Plus, I love that inspiration pic with the brick and wood combination that way!
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,259 Member

I prefer the single windows too. Looks great so far :D
    @ciane and @socoolsim
    You both are making me debate on whether or not to go back to the single frieze above the first level. The double windows are two friezes on top of each other instead of a livable space so now I’m rethinking the house design. Lol :p