March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adventures in CAW

@Rflong I didn't want to take over @06Bon06 thread so here I am. With my own caw adventures.

I'm also journaling some of my trial & error's, as I try my hand at this element of ts3.

You mentioned in the other thread you wouldn't know why swimming did/didn't work at the beach without images, so here are two pic's. I think I've figured it out, or sort of figured it out.
Overhead of the whole tiny mess. ;)
caw1_orig.jpg

My sim proclaiming routing issues at the beach.
caw2_orig.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that it's a combination of to close to the edge of the map, not enough water depth, and maybe slope. Although the slope is really gentle. The slope is steeper at the inland lake but it's much deeper.

Here's the current project, which started as a medium flat map completely under water. Which I have a feeling will lead to other issues but I'm still enjoying the practice with lot placements, as well as everything else that involves caw.
mediumworld-wip_orig.jpg

I've been reading the blogs linked in @auntielynds stickied post, so far my two favorite resources despite not being complete are Kaela's rabbit hole list, and the sims wiki content list.
Peace, GranMama Dragon
Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
Save Game Often
repair & clear caches Often
S3 Studio
S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
Behrooz
S2/3/4 Randomnes

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I don't have a solution. It look cool but I don't think it's the slope. I've downloaded words were sims would teleport from a cliff into the water.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited June 2018
    The beach edge goes off the map- where nothing can go. So, that slope ends and probably doesn't give any room to get in the water deep enough.

Even though the map is surrounded by water, the land only goes so far (its size)- the water off the map (green land) is just an illusion and not accessible. :)

As long as you raise the land above the water they can travel the land. I see you have the routing lines showing, that means they can access there. :)
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    I was feeling a bit daunted by the above medium world I jumped to, so I'm stepping back to work on ideas and test out notions with a tiny map.

Keeping notes with pictures over on weebly. http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/building-tips--tricks/more-adventures-in-caw

Some of what I've been testing doesn't work so great. Although I have figured out that 5x5 lot's and 5x10 lots can work as micro lot's for a single sim. They can even be kept strictly base game object lot's but it requires careful placement with lots of testing. On the 5x5 to stay base game you need a minimum of 3 levels to the structure, and have to use the ladder. On a 5x10 a very snug 3x6 (18 sf) efficiency is feasible. With ITF items and the loft bed, you can get a little bit more flex but not to much. I do like that the itf food replicator also doubles as a dishwasher for clean up.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    One more batch of notes for today http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/building-tips--tricks/does-size-really-matter
    I explored base game only micro efficiency building for a single sim. 5x10 lot size works, and 18 sf (3x6) for the build worked nicely; very snug, but it works. :)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Hi :mrgreen:
    Those are some tiny lots. Good work on testing them and sharing the information. :cookie:
    edited July 2018
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :mrgreen:
    Those are some tiny lots. Good work on testing them and sharing the information. :cookie:

Thanks, I was working on my small town (256x256 map) and ran into an issue with switching between layers, trying to move lots & ending up with vanishing sidewalks/roads, along with odd chunks of missing land if I tried to move/clone a lot after switching between layers.

So I deleted the one I started with, and am very slowly use ground textures to draw in placement for everything. Fyi if any one is wondering sidewalks are 2 squares wide, and roads are 12 squares wide.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Yes, the chunks get messed up if it goes over a certain number of lots. I've seen it leave lot holes and blue chunks. Removing or moving lots out will fix it. :)
    At this point I'm back on my, upgraded, original pc. Finally reinstalled caw.

Played around with SV lite a few weeks ago, erased some of the non routing areas around the base in the mountains to add a px & base housing. Forgot to save ... crash ... there went 6 hours of editing in caw.

Today I went back into caw again, but this time started with one of the small maps and tweaked it a little, the seasoned caw workers will spot all my flubs easily enough.

A small map is 4 tiny grid bits put together ... and next time I touch caw, I might stick to a tiny map

I've done a thing ..... it's small it's ultra simple ... and the lone road is not perfect; but it's a decent small world for a first sharing. It can be used for a renovation's, apocalypses, or to build your own tiny town.
    http://mamadragonssims.weebly.com/renovation-challenges/a-sim-a-world for notes and a short slide show of the mostly barren island; otherwise peak at my studio ( https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9298173 ).
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Save Game Often
    S3 Studio
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    You could try a 512x512 total map size with your 256x256 map idea in the center so you will have plenty of water but not too much landmass to deal with.