Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's time to bring in more reaction options like lol, agree and disagree.

husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
edited June 2018 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
These are very important to return as i want to react to posts with more than just awesome and like, i mean all the other forums have them, why should we be not allowed to use them, does it have to do with the community?

{EA_Lanna: merged similar threads and updated title a twinge to better encompass this and the direction the threads gone in}
yondu-guardians1.jpg
over here i post my cc
new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
you may know me as g1g2

Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    They removed them because formers were abusing them and putting LOL when they shouldn't be. I think it caused a lot of upset.
  • husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    kittymeow wrote: »
    They removed them because formers were abusing them and putting LOL when they shouldn't be. I think it caused a lot of upset.
    I'm quite aware of the cause but maybe there could be an option for those who are sensitive to disable certain reactions.
    I think the gurus should make a poll and let us decide
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    you may know me as g1g2

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited June 2018
    We're better off without them. It's just more needless drama. And they WILL be abused. It's been shown.

This. And especially whenever there may be a glitch that allows people to see who hit what, then you're going to have people wondering why so and so hit the lol button on a thread/post that wasn't even funny to begin with. Or you're going to have members blasting whomever had hit the disagree button as there is some people who can't handle being disagreed with, so they turn to attacking those who disagreed with them. Sure I would like to see the lol button come back but I fear that it would be abused again by members who may like not certain forum members here.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm quite aware of the cause but maybe there could be an option for those who are sensitive to disable certain reactions.

They already made a poll to let us decide. Didn't matter; they still took them away when people couldn't handle it. We've had two chances; they're never coming back.
    IceyJ wrote: »

They already made a poll to let us decide. Didn't matter; they still took them away when people couldn't handle it. We've had two chances; they're never coming back.

But we have different moderation this time and i have trust on them
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    you may know me as g1g2

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Disagree.
    It would be left up to moderation to babysit yet again. They would have one more headache to police. If people would use them appropriately it's one thing but I wouldn't count on that. I guess insightful isn't doing the job well enough?
    egTcBMc.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018

We had different moderation when the poll was made. This would be the third time (if they brought it back,) due to new moderation. Don't see it happening.

Besides, it's more about trusting the community. The mods don't want to babysit us any more than they have to.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member

We had different moderation when the poll was made. This would be the third time (if they brought it back,) due to new moderation. Don't see it happening.

It's not about moderation after people use tools maliciously. It's about not letting them use tools maliciously in the first place. Simmers managed to prove themselves not trustworthy enough to not make extra work for moderators. I'd rather moderators focus on actual discussion and even involvement in the community.

I'm a moderator elsewhere. Every time I have a tool that can stop people causing trouble in the first place, I have more time available to be productive and make a better place for members, not just to slap hands.

@luthienrising I agree with you on this one. IMHO, I think they should remove Insightful and Awesome and just leave Like (not counting Flag and Quote). So, you either Like it, or you don't!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    ehaught58 wrote: »

It's not about moderation after people use tools maliciously. It's about not letting them use tools maliciously in the first place. Simmers managed to prove themselves not trustworthy enough to not make extra work for moderators. I'd rather moderators focus on actual discussion and even involvement in the community.

I'm a moderator elsewhere. Every time I have a tool that can stop people causing trouble in the first place, I have more time available to be productive and make a better place for members, not just to slap hands.

@luthienrising I agree with you on this one. IMHO, I think they should remove Insightful and Awesome and just leave Like (not counting Flag and Quote). So, you either Like it, or you don't!

The perfect sims 4 world, i guess the forums might as well mirror the current iteration of the series.
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    you may know me as g1g2

The perfect sims 4 world, i guess the forums might as well mirror the current iteration of the series.

I agree, the Sims 4 has always been about making it simple. Why should the forums be any different?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    One thing that some members may perhaps fail to understand completely, not the OP I mean Internet users in general, is that well-running community forums intended to be safe havens for all participating members are not exercises in democracy. We as members can vote on anything we like (within reason) to get our preferences across, and hopefully express our opinions in other ways (again within reason, up to a point) but that doesn't mean that majority rules.

All of the forums I belong to, including those I help moderate, are dictatorships. I like to think most are benevolent instances of such, not evil regimes, but there are those out there as well. This one we are on here is an example of a well-meaning forum that is now much better and more visibly staffed with moderators than it once was, but it is still ruled by those in charge and not by its membership. :)

The current management here has repeatedly expressed that the reasons for not having the other reaction buttons available far outweigh the benefits they once provided. I miss the LOL one in particular myself at times, not so much the others, but can't really say that I disagree with their intentions and reasoning either.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    D-R-A-M-A

with a capital D

I say bring it on! Also the ability to see who reacted to your post and not just the number of times.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    D-R-A-M-A

with a capital D

I say bring it on! Also the ability to see who reacted to your post and not just the number of times.

Oh you :p
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    The issue with just leaving it at likes reminds me of part of the fiasco that had existed on the Sims2 forum back in the day where initially they had the option for liking or disliking a post (which also could elevate someone's rank on the forum, based on a set of titles). After a while, it led to people getting bent out of shape or upset if their posts had been disliked and eventually led to that button being taken away.

In leaving it at just likes, though, it led to what came to be known as "bene begging" (as the term for likes over there had been actually asking if the user found a given post beneficial, so it led to likes being shortened to "benes" over there) where posters began posting asking for people to essentially "like" their post in the hopes of acquiring more "benes"/likes in hopes of also acquiring a higher rank or title on the forum. In essence, some people began abusing the system or treating it like a big popularity contest when it shouldn't have been.

I personally would rather not see a return to that system ever again and actually appreciate that we have "insight" or "awesome" as options as well.
    nolurk wrote: »
    The issue with just leaving it at likes reminds me of part of the fiasco that had existed on the Sims2 forum back in the day where initially they had the option for liking or disliking a post (which also could elevate someone's rank on the forum, based on a set of titles). After a while, it led to people getting bent out of shape or upset if their posts had been disliked and eventually led to that button being taken away.

In leaving it at just likes, though, it led to what came to be known as "bene begging" (as the term for likes over there had been actually asking if the user found a given post beneficial, so it led to likes being shortened to "benes" over there) where posters began posting asking for people to essentially "like" their post in the hopes of acquiring more "benes"/likes in hopes of also acquiring a higher rank or title on the forum. In essence, some people began abusing the system or treating it like a big popularity contest when it shouldn't have been.

I personally would rather not see a return to that system ever again and actually appreciate that we have "insight" or "awesome" as options as well.

Oh man, I remember when this site first opened up and we had the Disagree button as well as a Spam button for people to report spam posts. Now if I remember correctly about these buttons was that whenever someone hit Disagree and/or Spam button that it took away points from our points total putting some members on the negative side of things. And then people would be upset that so many people was disagreeing with them and reporting them for Spam. And because we would lose points due to this, people got worried about getting banned if our points got to far on the negative side.

And I remember the TS2 days when I would see forum members posting stuff like "handing out a bene to you" and thinking what the heck are they talking about as I was a new member to the site, so I didn't know that they were there to help one climb up in rank over there. I'm just glad that the only ranks that we have here is "New Member" and "Member" ranks and nothing else. And it really doesn't take a long for a new member to level up to full member since the requirements for this site changed from 50 points/30 post to 25 points/15 posts.

And I agree with the "Insightful" and "Awesome" as I like hitting Insightful when I see a thread/post that was helpful and Awesome when someone has an great story and/or picture thread of their builds/Sims... :)

nolurk wrote: »

That is the point! People will exploit whatever choices they give us. So, the fewer the choices, the less they can exploit and abuse them.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I still don't even understand the subtle difference between the buttons. I'd be happy to just have "like"
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I still don't even understand the subtle difference between the buttons. I'd be happy to just have "like"

For me, Like and Awesome mean 2 different things. Say for example that I Like you because we share the same interest but I find Ehaught58 Awesome because he has superpowers and can do things that you and I can't do.

The meaning of Like is:
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/like#dataset-american-english

The meaning of Awesome is:
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/awesome#dataset-american-english
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I disagree. Because people were abusing the system.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    It's probably best not to have the disagree button back. Over half of the forum users don't seem to be able to differentiate between disagree & dislike anyway. They seem to think that if someone disagrees with their opinion that it means "they hate them" and it leads to more moaning than ever.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I agree *gives awesome instead of agree* sadly the history of these forums show that a lot of Simmers can not be trusted with anything. It is a shame because most players are decent but why was there a need for some players to hit lol on someone else's pictures of their Sim wedding?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    No thanks. I already not very popular, I don't really want those features. I already know people disagree with me and a button doesn't really add to the discussion anyways.

I say we need better moderating or communication then buttons. People always misuse them for people that they dislike or just give likes to their buddies. I am just glad that the flag button is harder to misuse as you actually have to fill out what the problem is (that used to be a big problem on other forums. Seen it happen to others).