Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does it make sense to get wet without having open worlds?

When I saw for the first time that seasons were an official EP I was excited, however, I was also wondering how many things will be lacking (seeing The Sims 4 incomplete packs) and I have to recognise that there weren't many, though some of them would have been great.

After this I was wondering... If there are no open worlds and you can't modify them, is it worth getting wet in an area that you can just do things limited by your garden? Or is it too annoying waiting for 1 minute just for going to the park with your family?

I mean, in The Sims 3 It was great since wherever you went you would feel inmerse in the climate. Imagine you want to go to the gym, if there were open worlds like in The Sims 3, you would open your umbrella, get cold and feel the rain. But, in The Sims 4, you just have to take a taxi in front of your house to get anywhere.

What do you think?

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I really enjoy my sims going out into their neighborhoods... jogging, interacting, even camping ect. The areas are quite large depending on the neighborhoods. Seasons will make the experiences I do already and have with my sims more immersive, of that I have no doubt. The loading screens have never annoyed me in Sims 4. I was much more annoyed with the length of time to travel and my sims needs plummeting before I got to do anything with my sims in Sims 3.
    egTcBMc.png
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes, if you are outside. You still have neighborhood parks and yards. Outside in the rain should mean that you will get wet. I heard it even affects laundry that is hanging up outside. Sims also still walk, jog, etc....outside.

I don't get why everyone praises sims 3 so much. What good does all of that do when you can't even enjoy playing the game? The buggiest game there is (I tried giving it many chances and even waited until the game was complete). Sims 2 was more fun, why does nobody ever compare things with sims 2?
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    It's never bothered me one bit in Sims 2. I actually really disliked the open world in Sims 3 and it's one of the reasons I stopped playing (that and Sims all having similar features).
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    From what I understand from Twitter and reading what the gurus have stated, the entire world will experience the same weather as your active lot. If it is raining on your home lot it will be raining at the park.
  • NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    actually the rest of the world does not exist as long as you are not there, the lot you are on is always the active one until you change it. they said that every world(part) will have different weather, like no winter in warmer regions, no rain in the desert, no heatwaves in colder areas etc.

its possible weather will change on loading screens or just if the same weather is not possible. i just hope they did it gradual and we dont see weather and season pop up. they definitely need to show how it looks when snow starts falling and green turns to white. pop up winter would be horrible.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    edited June 2018
    My sims live in the perfect location to take advantage of all the seasonal weather. I relocated the pet hospital in Brindleton Bay and moved my family to that location. They often hang out in the courtyard area in front of the house to mingle with other sims walking by. And they go for walks to the park shown in the upper left corner. There is no loading screen to get to that park and I usually accompany them when taking the dog for a walk.

JG6zRHu.png
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    Well usually when you travel to another lot that is in the same neighborhood, your sim walks until they are in front of it, before there is the loading screen.
    Also you can spend time outside without travelling to a specific lot, if you want to fish, to look for collectibles, to camp somewhere (if you have OR).
    So I would say, yes, it totally makes sense your sims would get wet under the rain.

@simgirl1010 I wish all parks were open without loading screens... I is so frustrating to see that other park area just next to the first one but to know you can't go there without loading the lot...
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    My sims live in the perfect location to take advantage of all the seasonal weather. I relocated the pet hospital in Brindleton Bay and moved my family to that location. They often hang out in the courtyard area in front of the house to mingle with other sims walking by. And they go for walks to the park shown in the upper left corner. There is no loading screen to get to that park and I usually accompany them when talking the dog for a walk.

3f8obnQ.png

I'm actively playing a lot in that area right now all the houses have active households. Can't wait to see what weather will be like near the pier in that world also. I've got sims on the island in Windenburg and two other areas in Windenburg also. It's gonna be gorgeous! Gotta work more on my lots today.
    egTcBMc.png
  • butterflyxgirlbutterflyxgirl Posts: 427 Member
    I’ve never minded the loading screens. Sims 3 was buggy as anything for me and often my assets wouldn’t load properly when taking my sims anywhere. I’ve tried playing it on my updated computer and it still is buggy. I appreciate the detail they are putting in this and am excited to hear more about it as they get ready for release.
    loutredor wrote: »
    Well usually when you travel to another lot that is in the same neighborhood, your sim walks until they are in front of it, before there is the loading screen.
    Also you can spend time outside without travelling to a specific lot, if you want to fish, to look for collectibles, to camp somewhere (if you have OR).
    So I would say, yes, it totally makes sense your sims would get wet under the rain.

@simgirl1010 I wish all parks were open without loading screens... I is so frustrating to see that other park area just next to the first one but to know you can't go there without loading the lot...

Yeah, I agree. My sim family owns the vet clinic right next door and they have to take a taxi to get to work. :p
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    My sims live in the perfect location to take advantage of all the seasonal weather. I relocated the pet hospital in Brindleton Bay and moved my family to that location. They often hang out in the courtyard area in front of the house to mingle with other sims walking by. And they go for walks to the park shown in the upper left corner. There is no loading screen to get to that park and I usually accompany them when talking the dog for a walk.

I'm actively playing a lot in that area right now all the houses have active households. Can't wait to see what weather will be like near the pier in that world also. I've got sims on the island in Windenburg and two other areas in Windenburg also. It's gonna be gorgeous! Gotta work more on my lots today.

I really need to do something about Windenburg. There are some gorgeous views there.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    The loading screens don’t bother me, mine are only about 10-15 seconds anyway. What is odd to me is how the worlds are going to have different climates, but are all connected. While I agree it would be really strange to have the same winter weather in BB and OS, it’s going to be just as odd when your Sim is invited out on a date and the weather is suddenly drastically different.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    It takes like 5 seconds for lots to load on my laptop, so I'm okay with the wait. I was okay with it in the Sims and Sims 2 as well. What I wasn't okay with was waiting 20-30 minutes for a world to load on the Sims 3 and then upon entering said world, finding 2-5 sims other than my current household roaming around.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    My sims live in the perfect location to take advantage of all the seasonal weather. I relocated the pet hospital in Brindleton Bay and moved my family to that location. They often hang out in the courtyard area in front of the house to mingle with other sims walking by. And they go for walks to the park shown in the upper left corner. There is no loading screen to get to that park and I usually accompany them when taking the dog for a walk.

JG6zRHu.png

Ohh! I don’t have Cats & Dogs yet, but I forgot there was a world that came with it, lol.

I’ll probably get it (and MFP) in a future sale. I want to experience all of the worlds with the lovely seasons! :smile:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    Regarding the topic, I’ve never been bothered much by the loading screens. I still have and play games that have some loading screens.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited June 2018
    Yes as once you get to a certain area they’re are places within that area you can travel without a loading screen. Also for those with pets there is always taking your pet for a walk, or going for a jog. Or in city life at the festivals.
  • MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    edited June 2018
    Does anyone remember why they use loading screens in the Sims 4? I can see it if your sim was jumping from world to world. But if my sim can carry a turkey onto the porch of their neighbors and see them from the window why do I need a loading screen to knock on their door?

Plus I'm sooo not looking forward to bugs with Seasons as you load and jump from house to world to locations. Imagine Willow creek forever covered in snow or rain because your sim took a trip to Oasis Springs for a day.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Plus I'm sooo not looking forward to bugs with Seasons as you load and jump from house to world to locations. Imagine Willow creek forever covered in snow or rain because your sim took a trip to Oasis Springs for a day.

Imagine it for what reason?.. Why would anyone sit and think up things that could "potentially" be bugs?
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Yes, if you are outside. You still have neighborhood parks and yards. Outside in the rain should mean that you will get wet. I heard it even affects laundry that is hanging up outside. Sims also still walk, jog, etc....outside.

I don't get why everyone praises sims 3 so much. What good does all of that do when you can't even enjoy playing the game? The buggiest game there is (I tried giving it many chances and even waited until the game was complete). Sims 2 was more fun, why does nobody ever compare things with sims 2?

Agreed with all of this. Sims 2 was addictive at the time. Sims 3 never hooked me. And I personally think its because to some open world/CASt = best sims game @XxAirixX
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    It takes like 5 seconds for lots to load on my laptop, so I'm okay with the wait. I was okay with it in the Sims and Sims 2 as well. What I wasn't okay with was waiting 20-30 minutes for a world to load on the Sims 3 and then upon entering said world, finding 2-5 sims other than my current household roaming around.

Depending on the players hardware the loading screens are super short. Mine are about 5 seconds too.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It seemed to work well in The Sims 2, and that game didn't even feature open neighborhoods.
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    Didn't bother me in Sims 2. Especially in University ... I don't know, Open World wasn't the be-all end-all for me as it is for some other people. I agree that it definitely adds to the game, but it shouldn't detract from the actual depth of the AI. I think that Open World was a bit too ambitious for TS3 and would have been more appropriate for TS4 ... like imagine if you had TS4 in place of TS3 ... I think the progression would have been way more natural for the time it was in.

We shall see what Seasons is really like. I don't think you are going to mind it THAT much. If that was the case, what's the point of having any of the capabilities that we currently have outside of our immediate lot? Dog walking; jogging; etc ... like I said, TS2 was basically get in a car to get anywhere ... TS4 is a lot more open - not by much, but it is noticeable, at least to me. I remember TS1 which got me hooked, but I grew up with TS2, so TS3 isn't my bread and butter. For people who have TS3 as their main game that they enjoyed, they will probably notice these things more than someone that preferred TS2.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Luke wrote: »
    Didn't bother me in Sims 2. Especially in University ... I don't know, Open World wasn't the be-all end-all for me as it is for some other people. I agree that it definitely adds to the game, but it shouldn't detract from the actual depth of the AI. I think that Open World was a bit too ambitious for TS3 and would have been more appropriate for TS4 ... like imagine if you had TS4 in place of TS3 ... I think the progression would have been way more natural for the time it was in.

We shall see what Seasons is really like. I don't think you are going to mind it THAT much. If that was the case, what's the point of having any of the capabilities that we currently have outside of our immediate lot? Dog walking; jogging; etc ... like I said, TS2 was basically get in a car to get anywhere ... TS4 is a lot more open - not by much, but it is noticeable, at least to me. I remember TS1 which got me hooked, but I grew up with TS2, so TS3 isn't my bread and butter. For people who have TS3 as their main game that they enjoyed, they will probably notice these things more than someone that preferred TS2.
    Well, in The Sims 2 you were confined to your specific lot. In The Sims 4 you can walk all around the neighborhood. I get that you don't like The Sims 4, but it is objectively more open than The Sims 2, and reason stands to dictate that weather would have a greater impact for that reason alone.

JG6zRHu.png

That is a good place I think for seasons! I have one household living in Brindleton Bay and did some exploring; but I hadn't really played that household or checked out that town much yet as right now I am playing a family who lives in the city/apartment.

Too bad we can't live in that Outdoor Retreat world, but will be nice for a winter vacation and the Jungle Adventure (which I don't have yet but want to get eventually) would be good for a summer vacation until we a beach world (I really hope a beach world is next!)
    edited June 2018
    XxAirixX wrote: »

Agreed with all of this. Sims 2 was addictive at the time. Sims 3 never hooked me. And I personally think its because to some open world/CASt = best sims game @XxAirixX

I gave Sims 3 a chance and I have some expansions (never bothered getting all of them. Did get the pets one as someone gave to me as a gift not too long ago; but ended up returning in since I just can't get the game stable long enough to really play it). The game starts fine at first; a bit slow though at times, it is when reloading a save is when it is nothing but crashes within minutes. I just tried playing it again and sent a firefighter sim who is a witch to that alchemy shop and it crashed! The game barely loaded. I gave up on sims 3 as I tried on multiple laptops and computers (all new at the time and can handle other games fine). It wouldn't be so bad if they made it so it doesn't crash every time you load the game. I can even deal with waiting time (usually around 10-15 mins or so) if I can actually play the game for a few hours.
    The sims themselves aren't my favorite. They seemed kind of dull and ugly, so I used mods to make them a bit nicer and all that. It was the Create a style that lagged and the coding for open world seemed like a mess, which is why is was unstable for many people.

In Sims 2, I loved how lively they were. LOL every time a sim woohooed in public, that old lady will hit them with their purse. If one waits too long in line while shopping, they would sort of throw a fit, Santa would come visit every Christmas if my sims leave cookies, etc....I miss all of that. It was a perfect blend of mimicking real life while also having random and silly moments and doing things you can't do in real that makes it so entertaining and not feel like too realistic/bland or a chore like Sims 3 sort of did.

I only stopped playing as it doesn't work that well on my new computer as it seems to have issues with windows 10 as it isn't really that compatible (never ever throw a party in Sims 2 with windows 10. If you thought lagging in sims 3 was slow, it is agony in sims 2. I was hoping that they would fix the issue with the patch; but nothing worked yet).
    Post edited by XxAirixX on