Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    edited June 2018
    @TresaofPern - I do believe it is a total of 3 levels (which includes the basement and 2 upper floors), sort of like the space build.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    @SoulGal7 , I think you're right, but wanted to be sure. I'm taking a break from my build to think.

image.png
  • Cebu2coolCebu2cool Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2018
    The basement and two floors will be okay. The build I have in mind has a third floor that is in the attic. With a lack of proper dormers it'd have been a challenge. Doable but a challenge. Now the "dormers" will be just for show.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited June 2018
    nrMxwDI.pngf0QDFrV.pngoPsl3Pc.pngf0QDFrV.pngAz4BO1v.pngf0QDFrV.pngqkXexiw.png
    ATTENTION BUILDERS: Due to popular demand we have increased the budget for this build to §500,000. Go nuts!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • fabtiffsimfabtiffsim Posts: 1,008 Member
    Good gravy there's some really good stuff in that last challenge! Can't wait to see the next round errybody!!!
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I don't think I'll get time to do this round, but I'll be checking them all out and passing out some fav's.
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

Thank you, @BuildnShare I actually bounced in my chair.
    image.png
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    Thanks @BuildnShare for the budget increase!
    Glad we could help @gmcrozier and @TresaofPern :smile:
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare my home requires an above ground basement, is this permitted?
  • 4Sanne4Sanne Posts: 46 Member
    gmcrozier wrote: »

That's exactly what I was thinking :smiley:
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    @TresaofPern - I do believe it is a total of 3 levels (which includes the basement and 2 upper floors), sort of like the space build.

I was just coming in to check on that .. glad I saw the budget increase <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    @gmcrozier @4Sanne - Do you mean that you have the ground floor on the first floor?! So that it is built 'into' the landscape?! If, so, yes, we just shouldn't be able see the basement from the exterior of the house.

GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare that budget really seems lean. Any chance you can multiply it by 3?

Agreed. I keep scaling back what I want to do in an effort not to go over. And I've only got the kitchen, part of the first floor, and the outline of the second floor done so far.
    Also, does that three floors include the basement? Or is it meant ot be 3 floors above ground plus the basement?

@TresaofPern - as long as you have at least 3 floors total (including the basement) you are good to go.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    My build requires dormers to look like the house I found. In order to make them I needed to add a false third floor and added fake dormers. I hope this is okay.

See attached photo for a similar house.

PS when the challenge is over I intend to make that floor accessible and functional. It's a cool space. :smiley:

ieO5M62.jpg
    Cebu2cool wrote: »
    My build requires dormers to look like the house I found. In order to make them I needed to add a false third floor and added fake dormers. I hope this is okay.

See attached photo for a similar house.

PS when the challenge is over I intend to make that floor accessible and functional. It's a cool space. :smiley:

ieO5M62.jpg

You can have 3 upper floors should you wish @Cebu2cool - the brief states at least 3 levels (including the basement).
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited June 2018
    @BuildnShare this is why I wanted the basement above ground......
    DuzkhAw.png
    The grand entrance, just isn't as grand without the stairs.
  • 4Sanne4Sanne Posts: 46 Member
    DuzkhAw.png

Yeah, that's what I had in mind... Lots of regency buildings look like that :)
    I hope that's within the rules. (Kinda breaking my brain right now to work around it, so I hope I don't have to :# )
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    If you raise the foundation to the max, you can still have stairs of eight steps AND a below-ground basement, no?
    Xinqun wrote: »
    If you raise the foundation to the max, you can still have stairs of eight steps AND a below-ground basement, no?

yeah, but the two arches lead to the servants and delivery entrance. No worries, I'm re-doing my build anyway.
    DuzkhAw.png

@gmcrozier - it's really not a basement though is it? It's entirely up to you how you wish to interpret the brief though.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare I know that I am being a pain, however could I please get some clarification. I was unclear on some of the rooms that were requested for this build. This is what I found....

"Parlor is a dated word to mean a sitting room in a private house. Generally it means a room in a private house used to receive guests; it could also be a room in a convent.
    Drawing room is a room in a large private house where guests are received."

So based upon this definition... A parlor, a sitting room and a drawing room are the same thing.
  • itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    @BuildnShare I know that I am being a pain, however could I please get some clarification. I was unclear on some of the rooms that were requested for this build. This is what I found....

"Parlor is a dated word to mean a sitting room in a private house. Generally it means a room in a private house used to receive guests; it could also be a room in a convent.
    Drawing room is a room in a large private house where guests are received."

So based upon this definition... A parlor, a sitting room and a drawing room are the same thing.

Thanks for asking! I was wondering myself.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    I've made them each distinct in my build. Drawing room - withdrawing form the dining room to sit and chat. It's more formal. SItting room - like a living room, more for family or to tell the employs what to do that day.. Parlor- for entertainment.
    image.png
    Ahhh the Rooms.

Earlier I asked an English friend on Twitter, Cinderellimouse, if she had any insight. I think she's a literature major and might have a clue.

Here's her response.

"I know all those words but I always thought they were the same thing!

Lol!

Ok, so I gather a parlour in the Regency period would have been
    the best room in the house and used for entertaining guests and for
    parties and events like for wedding receptions.
    The word 'parlour' is derived from a word for speaking, so it's 'The Talking Room'.

The Drawing room is similar but it's more private.
    It originally meant the 'withdrawing' room because the hosts and a few special guests
    would leave the main entertaining space and go to that room to talk a bit more privately.
    In the Regency period it was often upstairs and it would lead to the main bedroom.
    So it was like a reception room for people close to the host.

I'm less sure about the sitting room, but I think this would have been used more for
    reading and casual social events. So it was quieter and less formal than the other two rooms.
    It might have been less fancy as well because it wasn't as 'public' as the other two rooms.
    So comfortable and homely with lots of books, I guess."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top