Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's official- No snow depth

Comments

• cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited June 2018
    filipomel wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »
    Again I’m not upset about it. After seeing all the new seasonal details that they’ve added I’m still rather impressed with what we are getting, trees blowing in the wind, real lighting strikes that cause a real flash of light, the heat waves in summer, how sims animations reflect the current climate, and everything besides just the details! This is the first seasons pack that seems very gameplay heavy compared to previous packs. Previous seasons packs only really added leisure activities.

Except that all of those things were in previous Sims games, particularly TS3 and that was just the tip of the iceberg of that pack, not 90% of what was on offer. So what exactly is it that is so "gameplay heavy" about this version of Seasons?

Those details that I've mentioned actually aren't in the previous games, trees didn't blow in the wind, lightning strikes were just white flashes on the screen as opposed to actual lighting effects, there were no heat waves during hot temperatures, sims didn't actively react to weather besides the occasional animation in-between actions. As for gameplay heavy, we're getting a new career, new objects related to that career, the career offering two branches within it, we're given the option to create our own holidays, that within itself opens up entirely new possibilities for gameplay, along with all the new leisure activities that we're receiving. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only gameplay added in previous Seasons packs was just leisure activities, festivals in 3 was just a temporary event that offered a lot of leisure activities.

Yes emphasis on previous games. The Sims 4 should have more effects than it's predecessors, should offer more but it seems to be talking away just as much because the now overused, to the point of being redundant, excuse " focusing on other things", Doesn't "create your own holidays" really mean change weather and choose Christmas from the parties drop down to have a Southern world Xmas
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited June 2018
    Again I’m not upset about it. After seeing all the new seasonal details that they’ve added I’m still rather impressed with what we are getting, trees blowing in the wind, real lighting strikes that cause a real flash of light, the heat waves in summer, how sims animations reflect the current climate, and everything besides just the details! This is the first seasons pack that seems very gameplay heavy compared to previous packs. Previous seasons packs only really added leisure activities.

Except that all of those things were in previous Sims games, particularly TS3 and that was just the tip of the iceberg of that pack, not 90% of what was on offer. So what exactly is it that is so "gameplay heavy" about this version of Seasons?

Those details that I've mentioned actually aren't in the previous games, trees didn't blow in the wind, lightning strikes were just white flashes on the screen as opposed to actual lighting effects, there were no heat waves during hot temperatures, sims didn't actively react to weather besides the occasional animation in-between actions. As for gameplay heavy, we're getting a new career, new objects related to that career, the career offering two branches within it, we're given the option to create our own holidays, that within itself opens up entirely new possibilities for gameplay, along with all the new leisure activities that we're receiving. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only gameplay added in previous Seasons packs was just leisure activities, festivals in 3 was just a temporary event that offered a lot of leisure activities.

Yes emphasis on previous games. The Sims 4 should have more effects than it's predecessors, should offer more but it seems to be talking away just as much because the now overused, to the point of being redundant, excuse " focusing on other things", Doesn't "create your own holidays" really mean change weather and choose Christmas from the parties drop down to have a Southern world Xmas

Umm, I don't know, I don't think anyone knows yet how this new create a holiday feature is going to be like, I'm just speculating on the possible possibilities of such a feature.
  • lopithecuslopithecus Posts: 1,735 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    It has snow. Just not snow depth. The winter in The Sims 4 from what I've seen so far looks absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't understand how it could feel like half of a pack just because the snow won't build up.

Nope there isn't snow. Even light snow would accumulate on objects. Look at the stuff closely, it a recolor
    Fake snow painted on.

This is all based on opinion. You don't think it's snow, which you have every right to believe, while I do consider it snow, whether it is painted on or doesn't accumulate or isn't on every object. It's snow to me, personally.

But I do see why you wouldn't consider it snow and understand that.
    k55mmxl
    "The one you confide in the most. The one who understands you best. The one you'll miss more than any other. When he dies..." - Batman/Superman 018
    SuperBat ruined my life!<3
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    What a storm.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Actually, all of those things did exist in previous games and then some. I'm not sure what you mean by lightning is an "actual effect" unless you mean that goofy X-Men thing? Lightning did, in fact, visibly strike the ground, items, Sims, etc. in both TS2 and TS3 and it looked exactly like lightning...not a "flash of white light". There were days that were noticeably hotter than others and your Sim would react accordingly with heatstroke, sunburn and suntans... They didn't have a loud musical sting and a bright popup telling you that they were "UNCOMFORTABLY HOT", but, I mean, it was obvious. As for activities on offer, gameplay, reactions from the Sims to the weather, etc., I...literally put my face in my hands and felt exhausted at the idea that they couldn't have had anything much before in past games or that a single career was something to be hyping. I'm sorry, nothing personal, but I just don't have the hours in the evening to go into all of the details. :/

You do get a thermostat and a kiddie pool. That's nice.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2018

Trees blow in the wind in TS3. Lightning is not just a white flash effect in TS3 either- in both TS2 & 3 it strikes things. In TS3 it leaves a burnt patch on the ground after a lightning strike and the fork can easily be seen when it hits if you happen to be looking right at it. The flash can be quite blinding. TS3 has heatwave ripple effects - these show up quite clearly in Al Simhara.
    Do try to at least get your info correct.

Edit - Here is a very nice picture of lightning striking in Oasis Landing

cvtYLus.jpg
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2018

Err.. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 had nice lightning effects. Lightning in TS2 could even strike trees on fire, or electrocute Sims in hot tubs. The Sims 3 had wind, and varying levels of it, too.

In The Sims 2 Seasons, we also had snow depth, skating, greenhouses, expanded gardening features, a new rustic/rural world with lots of new rustic furniture, full-fledged PlantSims, 6 new careers (not just one), new NPCs including penguins, new lifetime wants, three new deaths, new radio stations, curved swimming pools, loads of family-based interactions, and a plethora of other features not listed. So, both prior packs did offer far more than “just leisure activities”.

This whole ordeal is what I was referring to in another thread. We have these omissions, and the content that is actually new does not really equate in value to what we’re seeing in comparison. It’s a shame people “take score” of packs based on which features return, but i do understand the sentiment, as new content doesn’t always hold its own weight.
  • RaavenRaaven Posts: 1 New Member
    To be honest, I am only here for the kiddie pool. :sweat_smile:
    Everyone, everywhere, stressing about the snow depth but no one has yet stated their disappointment for not being able to swim in the ocean? :/
    I think we all should give some respect to EA too... It's not like their brains are super-computers and I do understand they have to make some sacrifices... Look on the bright side, at least we got seasons? I was waiting for this moment since The Sims 4 were released - I was being very optimistic at that time about the game and thought, seasons will be included in the base game... Oh, silly me!
    But with each new expansion pack, my expecations have dropped.
    Anyway, there are many things The Sims 4 will probably never have; open world system, cars ?(they would be pretty useless if there is no open world concept), create a style (not sure about that one) but hey. Every sim game has something special on it's own. The Sims 3 will always have a special place in my heart but with time passing, changes must come. And I do think they generally did a good job creating The Sims 4. The emotions, animations, etc... Of course I am angry that I have a loading screen stuck up my face everytime I want to go and grab some coffee or just visit a neighbour... But I think the CAS is pretty amazing - if we ignore the lack of create-a-style.
    It will always be this way.
    We will never get everything we want. And to be honest, the whole sim community always has extremely high expectations and large amounts of criticism, getting less and less grateful with each new expansion pack EA releases.
    With every new expansion pack coming, we want more interactions, more clothing, furniture, new world, new animals, witches, careers, schools, islands, you name it, we want it. But we have to understand that they are only humans too and half a year is not a lot of time to create a huge project like this.
    I was pretty sad about the fact that they will stop creating EP for The Sims 3 once TS4 are being released... But I lived through and so will you snow-depth-loving people. XD
    However, if you really lack something in your game... Download a mod... There are lots of them out there and I am sure the snow depth one will be on it's way very soon. ^^
    Anyway, that was just my opinion. We shouldn't be that harsh to EA, but EA should be nicer to us too... I mean... The prices are pretty high for what we usually get in an SP/EP -Compromises should be made!

But as I said. I am only here (paying 40€) for the kiddie pool.

I hope all of you are having a great day! (:
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member

Illustrated depth:
    ezrlXFz.jpg
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Went on a hunt to find it.

Well it says maps so maybe it's not the backdrops. Sorry.
    I hope the back drops change but the map will forever be summer.

You can see in the trailer that the backdrops change with the seasons. Primarily in the first 10 seconds of it.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited June 2018
    Trees blow in the wind in TS3. Lightning is not just a white flash effect in TS3 either- in both TS2 & 3 it strikes things. In TS3 it leaves a burnt patch on the ground after a lightning strike and the fork can easily be seen when it hits if you happen to be looking right at it. The flash can be quite blinding. TS3 has heatwave ripple effects - these show up quite clearly in Al Simhara.

cvtYLus.jpg

By lightning effects I mean this,
    2z53bxs.png
    If you take a look at the picture you can see the environment around the lightning strike light up, shadows casted by the light are more intense, as oppose to previous games simple white flash on the screen, lightning strikes in previous games didn't cast an actual lighting effect, just a bolt of lightning along with bright white flashes on the screen. When I talk about the lightning effects I was specifically talking about the light-ing, not the actual light-n-ing.

As for previous games having wind and wind effects I'm going to need to see some examples, because I am actively playing Sims 3 right now and I don't see wind actively effecting any part of my game except for maybe the direction the falling rain. I don't see trees swaying in the wind or my sims reacting to it.

And heat waves appearing in Al Simhara, maybe you're right, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, it seems like a world exclusive effect that has nothing to do with the seasons expansion pack.
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    Apart from the snow being a major let down, has anyone noticed that the bushes stay green and leafy with just snow paint on top? This may minor but little things like this just take away from the game for me.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Meh, I don't see what the big deal is. It is just a minor visual effect. I am more curious about actual game play as it is getting boring after awhile due to a lack of different venues and things to do (still a bit disappointed that some of the key features aren't in the game yet. I miss my sims getting drunk, slow dancing, etc...). I am hoping Seasons can help with that by adding some new things in the game.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited June 2018
    Of course lightning had a light effect. It lit up the sky and the area that it strikes just like real lightning does, and is far more noticeable at night time. Can't you see the large bubble looking area in the picture? What do you think it's going to look like around there if sims are standing near that? Of course it's going to be a more intense light.

As for "needing to see examples" of wind, I am quite sure you can use google, so I don't need to be finding your examples for you. Try You Tube.

And you didn't say that heatwaves needed to be limited to a Seasons pack. You simply said past games didn't have heatwaves. Which is incorrect.
    It isn't available to Al Simhara only, but it IS an effect that needs to be placed. Regardless, the effect is still accessible to world builders. This is an effect and not a "heatwave" that offers scorching hot temps, though in Summer, when the temperature is in the 30s + , ts3 sims will pass out from heatstroke and become sunburnt.

Also you've messed up the quote and quoted @mortia instead of me.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2018
    Apart from the snow being a major let down, has anyone noticed that the bushes stay green and leafy with just snow paint on top? This may minor but little things like this just take away from the game for me.

Some bushes do stay green and leafy in winter if they are of the spruce, larch, cedar, fir, or balsam families in particular (there are others as well). At least here in New England lots of people buy bushes and trees from those families because they stay green or in case of Larch they turn a bright yellow golden colored. So I guess you would have a major let down living in very snowy New England. But Hedge bushes are very hardy and cold loving plants (they are chosen because snow and cold don't bother them) that rarely lose leaves unless they are diseased. Spruce, fir, and balsam are actually evergreens and are always green - they never lose leaves ever. also unless they are diseased. Heat can cause the leaves to turn reddish brown as they don't do well in heat and direct summer sun. They recover once fall sets in and cooler temps.

That round shrub looks like Boxwood Wintergreen which is green year round - they don't care for sun and lots of heat so they are known to stay green under their snow cover. The one on the left could be spruce, fir, or cedar - all 3 stay green in cool climates.. They actually love the cold.

Filipomel -
    The Heat waves came with WA in the Egyptian world - not seasons. I play adventure characters since Sims 3 came out and saw them right away in WA in Egypt. Store keepers used to warn my sim about Mirages in the hot sand in the desert. Granted I never saw one. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2018

cvtYLus.jpg

2z53bxs.png
    If you take a look at the picture you can see the environment around the lightning strike light up, shadows casted by the light are more intense, as oppose to previous games simple white flash on the screen, lightning strikes in previous games didn't cast an actual lighting effect, just a bolt of lightning along with bright white flashes on the screen. When I talk about the lightning effects I was specifically talking about the light-ing, not the actual light-n-ing.

As for previous games having wind and wind effects I'm going to need to see some examples, because I am actively playing Sims 3 right now and I don't see wind actively effecting any part of my game except for maybe the direction the falling rain. I don't see trees swaying in the wind or my sims reacting to it.

And heat waves appearing in Al Simhara, maybe you're right, but I haven't seen it anywhere else, it seems like a world exclusive effect that has nothing to do with the seasons expansion pack.

I play TS3 at several times a week and there is definitely wind. You can see the trees moving in it and you hear the sound effect. How much the trees move varies depending on how severe the weather is. But you can absolutely see it. (It's actually listed as a feature of the pack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsri_-tIXk

The best places to see it in this video are at 7:12 and 12:46. It's all throughout the video if you look at the trees and bushes, though.

This video also shows trees swaying in the wind plus a lightning strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-F9EuhyX4
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Thanks for the video receipts, @GabbyGirlJ That last one was really nice. I'd forgotten how beautiful the skies looked during a thunderstorm. The moving clouds being lit up from within...spectacular. The effects really gave sense of realism to the storms.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited June 2018
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

cvtYLus.jpg

2z53bxs.png

I play TS3 at several times a week and there is definitely wind. You can see the trees moving in it and you hear the sound effect. How much the trees move varies depending on how severe the weather is. But you can absolutely see it. (It's actually listed as a feature of the pack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsri_-tIXk

The best places to see it in this video are at 7:12 and 12:46. It's all throughout the video if you look at the trees and bushes, though.

This video also shows trees swaying in the wind plus a lightning strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-F9EuhyX4

I've had those awesome storms in sunlit tides where the palm trees were bending. It was beautiful and I took pictures at the time.

Edit.
    Oh my gosh the light effects behind the clouds are so pretty.
    edited June 2018

cvtYLus.jpg

2z53bxs.png

The other person already showed you the other stuff. I wanted to say heat waves appear in any world during summer. Especially when the temp tire is around 30C I'm guessing that's around 90F.

You'll see the heat waves everywhere and sims will get hotter faster than normal

Edited I was going. To correct myself and see I just saw what swimmers said about it coming with Egypt and I might have been mistaken due to using custom worlds but then I remembered they are in Island paradise too, I remember seeing those on a very hot day while testing stuff.

Yes and no. Thanks because I couldn't quite for fire out what was bothering me in the pic. I guess it's a combo of how the bushes look at they only have a light snow dusting.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Yes and no. Thanks because I couldn't quite for fire out what was bothering me in the pic. I guess it's a combo of how the bushes look at they only have a light snow dusting.

Evergreens is a thing, btw. And many hedge plants ARE evergreens.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’ll be honest, the snow or lack of on its own whilst a major disappointment is not a deal breaker.

But taking into account all the other things removed, I’m not sure I want to use my origin gift voucher on it but feel I should because what else can I spend it on? The only game I play on origin is the sims, my other games are via steam.

But we shouldn’t have to pretend in a AAA game that snow deep and that it’s a snow day and the kids can’t get to school, the same way we shouldn’t have to imagine our sims are sad when their caged pet dies. I shouldn’t have to imagine if I have a sim that overheats that he got a really bad sunburn first.

I never had to before and now I do?
    I’m a writer, I have a good imagination but it shouldn’t be filling in the gaps.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    I shouldn’t have to imagine if I have a sim that overheats that he got a really bad sunburn first.

That would be a weird thing to imagine. Sunburn is not at all a symptom of heat exhaustion.. plenty of people have succumbed to it both without being burned by the sun or even being in the sun at all.

But I get the point of what you're trying to say with the snow, at least.
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    Anyway it was quite obvios that another limitation will come with this expansion.
    We can't build our own apartments, we can't ring customers up by cash registers.. Pets strays are only in new town..
    Such a shame that The Sims 4 instead of giving the best from previous games, takes away the best..
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    It's a good thing that iterations of the Sims are different, so everybody can play the game they enjoy :)