Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's official- No snow depth

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I mean I guess it's all up to preference. Do you want new things/gameplay or do you want to play the same game? Do you want to focus on gameplay or do you want the game to have more visual aspects? It seems like you can't have it both ways

We had it both ways in sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 is the first time they are telling us they are sacrificing major parts of the pack to do other stuff which doesn't end up being impressive.

I can't imagine if for sims 3 IP they were like "well we didn't add a new world, or diving, or hidden islands, or house boats but we spend the time to make this one type of boat and a firewall thingy and a lot of cas stuff which is amazing.
  • SimAddiction101SimAddiction101 Posts: 112 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    It has snow. Just not snow depth. The winter in The Sims 4 from what I've seen so far looks absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't understand how it could feel like half of a pack just because the snow won't build up.

Nope there isn't snow. Even light snow would accumulate on objects. Look at the stuff closely, it a recolor
    Fake snow painted on.

There's snow. You can re-watch the trailer if need be but there's snow....

I mean on there stuff. You can look at the pictures. It's not snow, it looks to be painted on. If you mean the effect falling from the sky? I don't think they even confirmed whether it's fx or not.

You mean the snow on the houses, bushes, roads and stuff? I think one of the Guru's confirmed that everything from the trailer was from the game but I don't know for sure.
    I mean I guess it's all up to preference. Do you want new things/gameplay or do you want to play the same game? Do you want to focus on gameplay or do you want the game to have more visual aspects? It seems like you can't have it both ways

We had it both ways in sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 is the first time they are telling us they are sacrificing major parts of the pack to do other stuff which doesn't end up being impressive.

I can't imagine if for sims 3 IP they were like "well we didn't add a new world, or diving, or hidden islands, or house boats but we spend the time to make this one type of boat and a firewall thingy and a lot of cas stuff which is amazing.

Yeah that's what I meant. It seems you can't have it both ways (in the Sims 4). Sorry I didn't specify. Things are different now. I guess the budget is tighter and the time is limited. But Sims 4 Seasons seems to be giving us a lot of things. This is the first pack that I considered pre-ordering (I never pre-order I usually just buy it the day of...*whispers* I'm a poor college kid).
    It has snow. Just not snow depth. The winter in The Sims 4 from what I've seen so far looks absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't understand how it could feel like half of a pack just because the snow won't build up.

Nope there isn't snow. Even light snow would accumulate on objects. Look at the stuff closely, it a recolor
    Fake snow painted on.

There's snow. You can re-watch the trailer if need be but there's snow....

I mean on there stuff. You can look at the pictures. It's not snow, it looks to be painted on. If you mean the effect falling from the sky? I don't think they even confirmed whether it's fx or not.

You mean the snow on the houses, bushes, roads and stuff? I think one of the Guru's confirmed that everything from the trailer was from the game but I don't know for sure.

Yeah that's what I meant. It seems you can't have it both ways (in the Sims 4). Sorry I didn't specify. Things are different now. I guess the budget is tighter and the time is limited. But Sims 4 Seasons seems to be giving us a lot of things. This is the first pack that I considered pre-ordering (I never pre-order I usually just buy it the day of...*whispers* I'm a poor college kid).

The " snow" on the objects isn't snow. Snow would create accumulation on the object even if a little bit. When you compare the objects the ground the roofs to summer. There is no difference between the height of things. That means snow is probably a paint rather than an actual thing. I'd be surprised if snow fall is gradual like in sims 3 and if it melts.

It looks exactly like a mod that came out and that mod didn't have actual snow, it had painted objects so to speak. Kind of like having a winter recolor with snow dusting.

You can also see there are objects in the trailer that don't have snow on them. Which wouldn't happen if it was actual snow like previous games.

And fx means a visual affect which means the snowflakes isn't a 3d model of sort but rather just something you see on your screen. Sims 2 had that type of snow.
  • ceinwynieceinwynie Posts: 162 Member
    What really bothers me is not the lack of snow, it's that every expansion pack of the sims 4 leaves something out... pets were horrible, only two animals and no UI, and let's not forget that there were no toddlers until last year, and even though I'm happy with them now, I can't forget the fact that teens are the same size as adults... a lot of features are missing and I don't understand why seeing that they were present in TS2 and TS3. I really think that TS4 is an amazing game, I love the graphics and a lot of the gameplay aspect of it, but a lot is missing already and now to see that there is no snow depth only makes me more disappointed.
    What disappoints me is how similar the EA snow looks like this

https://youtu.be/SP-omfqCOWU
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think that video is gorgeous. What stands out to me is the atmosphere and the cozy happenings inside. Not the lack of a blanket of snow.
  • MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    I'm glad we got an answer to the snow depth question, but I'm disappointed by what it is. I live in a place where we don't really get heavy snow so I loved having it in game. Curious as to what the blizzards will be like if there's not deep snow outside... and what about snow days for the kids?

It isn't enough to stop me buying the EP, and I hope other things will make up for it, but this is a shame.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Meh, personally I couldn't care less about the depth of the snow. I'm much more interested in other things like the new activities, so this news doesn't bother me at all.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Miricha wrote: »
    I'm glad we got an answer to the snow depth question, but I'm disappointed by what it is. I live in a place where we don't really get heavy snow so I loved having it in game. Curious as to what the blizzards will be like if there's not deep snow outside... and what about snow days for the kids?

It isn't enough to stop me buying the EP, and I hope other things will make up for it, but this is a shame.

That's exactly my case. Where I live it does not even snow. So playing The Sims 2/3 in the winter, and seeing that whole snow getting deeper, gave me a unique feel.

I see some people saying they would not like snow in the game because of their personal experiences, because snow is actually something that causes a lot of problems in real life. But fortunately, The Sims is still a game, and its snow was meant to be fun. =)
    tenor.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    As said EA/Maxis is paying for an decision made in 2104 and Imho that decision did not make Sims 4 an superior product regardless of what packs are added. So far every pack has been gimped to satisfy whatever reason EA/Maxis has not to make this feature as robust as Sims 3 feature was. I lost whatever anticipation I had for Sims 4. The snow debacle is what it is and I am sorry but the snow debacle is only one part of Sims 4 problems. I am not going to pre-order the EP and I am going to wait and see what happens, I was going to get it on day of launch but I do not feel comfortable getting it on that day. I saw what happened with CL which I wish I had not brought. I do not feel sorry for any company that cannot provide me worthwhile features and that is my opinion.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    As said EA/Maxis is paying for an decision made in 2104 and Imho that decision did make Sims 4 an superior product regardless of what packs are added. So far every pack has been gimped to satisfy whatever reason EA/Maxis has not to make this feature as robust as Sims 3 feature was. I lost whatever anticipation I had for Sims 4. The snow debacle is what it is and I am sorry but the snow debacle is only one part of Sims 4 problems. I am not going to pre-order the EP and I am going to wait and see what happens, I was going to get it on day of launch but I do not feel comfortable getting on that day. I saw what happened with CL which I wish I had not brought. I do not feel sorry for any company that cannot provide me worthwhile features and that is my opinion.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    I haven't read through all 17 pages of this, but I'm gonna assume I'm in the minority here...but this really doesn't bother me/isn't a deal breaker for me. Idk. I'm sorry for those of you that it is :( But I'll be honest, that's the last thing I even paid attention to in the trailer. I didn't even notice it in the trailer until it was brought up by other simmers. But, again, if it's a big deal for you then I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting what you hoped for.
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

a_niles06 wrote: »
    I haven't read through all 17 pages of this, but I'm gonna assume I'm in the minority here...but this really doesn't bother me/isn't a deal breaker for me. Idk. I'm sorry for those of you that it is :( But I'll be honest, that's the last thing I even paid attention to in the trailer. I didn't even notice it in the trailer until it was brought up by other simmers. But, again, if it's a big deal for you then I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting what you hoped for.

I'm glad you are happy and excited for the new pack. I saw a couple of people comment that like myself they loved deep snow because they don't have that were they live. I think that's why it's an important feature to myself. It may seem like a minor aesthetic detail to some but to me it's a huge detail.
    candy8 wrote: »
    Looks like this is just a quick and easy EP so they shut us up again, not detail in the EP but we will see they are just using what they have done before and not adding new stuff. This has been all throught the Sims 4 game experience I know there are those that are so loyal that they will defend this but it is the truth.

Seriously?
    Seriously???

It is so frustrating to constantly have to defend the fact that I think this pack looks amazing, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a brainwashed EA plum.

To some it might look amazing to other it doesn't.
    I'm not even looking at what it doesn't have. I'd be fine if it had something that made me forget about snow.

So far they've said summer is amazing and all they've revealed for summer this far is sprinklers and a splash pool. I guess you can add swings but I feel it's year round as shown in the trailer.

I hope they are hiding something amazing because if that's the most amazing season I'm scared of the others. I don't see having a calendar in game as adding any fun but it rather becoming a nuisance after a while.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks, I've removed approx two pages of derailment from recent pages. It's natural to get lost in conversation and veer off topic but if we can try and keep this space for discussing snow accumulation and depth that'd be great and more considerate to others looking to have that discussion. Thanks simmers.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• a_niles06a_niles06 Posts: 3,019 Member
    edited May 2018

I'm glad you are happy and excited for the new pack. I saw a couple of people comment that like myself they loved deep snow because they don't have that were they live. I think that's why it's an important feature to myself. It may seem like a minor aesthetic detail to some but to me it's a huge detail.

I can totally respect that. Everyone plays differently, what's important to some is not to others. I hope it's full of enough content (and I don't mean wall decals....*cough*cats and dogs*cough*....) to be worth purchasing for you and others that are disappointed. Frankly, I'm just excited for some change in scenery - the eternal summer is getting old!!
    ezgif_com_resize.gif

EA_Lanna wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've removed approx two pages of derailment from recent pages. It's natural to get lost in conversation and veer off topic but if we can try and keep this space for discussing snow accumulation and depth that'd be great and more considerate to others looking to have that discussion. Thanks simmers.

Thank you ^^ I hope we can try to stay more on the topic of snow.

I can totally respect that. Everyone plays differently, what's important to some is not to others. I hope it's full of enough content (and I don't mean wall decals....*cough*cats and dogs*cough*....) to be worth purchasing for you and others that are disappointed. Frankly, I'm just excited for some change in scenery - the eternal summer is getting old!!

That's the only thing keeping this pack in a maybe pile... Probably on sale. I hate eternal summer. Oh my. Gosh, when I got cats and dogs and it was just this ridiculous amount of decals. At least I'll never run out of them XD
  • Lexington1988Lexington1988 Posts: 70 Member
    Looks like this is just a quick and easy EP so they shut us up again, not detail in the EP but we will see they are just using what they have done before and not adding new stuff. This has been all throught the Sims 4 game experience I know there are those that are so loyal that they will defend this but it is the truth.

Seriously?
    Seriously???

It is so frustrating to constantly have to defend the fact that I think this pack looks amazing, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a brainwashed EA plum.

I'm not even looking at what it doesn't have. I'd be fine if it had something that made me forget about snow.

So far they've said summer is amazing and all they've revealed for summer this far is sprinklers and a splash pool. I guess you can add swings but I feel it's year round as shown in the trailer.

I hope they are hiding something amazing because if that's the most amazing season I'm scared of the others. I don't see having a calendar in game as adding any fun but it rather becoming a nuisance after a while.

That's totally my point! To some people it sounds amazing, to others it doesn't, and I think it's really important to respect that opinions differ, and just because I'm excited and am liking what I hear, it doesn't mean that I'm blindly loyal to EA (Not aiming this at you, aiming it at people who are saying people who like the sound of the pack would like anything EA throws at them)

It goes both ways of course. If you don't like it, then I'm not going to claim that you're complaining for the sake of complaining. I've seen a lot of both extremes since seasons was announced. Respect goes both ways.

If only sprinklers and paddling pools have been added for Summer, trust me, I'll be disappointed too! But the game was only released a week ago, and I already know a lot more things than I did when I first watched the trailer. More details will be released in the coming weeks, and for myself, I'm not going to decide how good this pack is until I have those details.

Personally, the calender seems like a game changer to me, but I need more details before I declare it so.

Seriously?
    Seriously???

That's totally my point! To some people it sounds amazing, to others it doesn't, and I think it's really important to respect that opinions differ, and just because I'm excited and am liking what I hear, it doesn't mean that I'm blindly loyal to EA (Not aiming this at you, aiming it at people who are saying people who like the sound of the pack would like anything EA throws at them)

It goes both ways of course. If you don't like it, then I'm not going to claim that you're complaining for the sake of complaining. I've seen a lot of both extremes since seasons was announced. Respect goes both ways.

If only sprinklers and paddling pools have been added for Summer, trust me, I'll be disappointed too! But the game was only released a week ago, and I already know a lot more things than I did when I first watched the trailer. More details will be released in the coming weeks, and for myself, I'm not going to decide how good this pack is until I have those details.

Personally, the calender seems like a game changer to me, but I need more details before I declare it so.

Now this is a good discussion.

I know, I'm waiting for more things but what I feel like I've learned with dims 4 is there aren't many surprises waiting around the corner. It's usually you get what you see.

I am curious to know more about it but it feels to me personally not like something I'll use much like the scrapbook from. Sims 3.

Do you know anything I don't know yet? Or something that had you excited.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I agreed initially that it was a little important but I was fighting myself because it is important to me and I just can't say it is not just to have Seasons when I feel the feature is lacking as well as other features that was implemented in the past. I myself grew up in deep snow and had to move because I hate bundling up.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    edited May 2018

This picture looks promising! Glistening snow, foot and paw prints, and look at that dog tube! Is it an illusion, or is it actually deeper in the snow? :open_mouth: either way this screenshot looks amazing and I can't wait for Seasons to arrive!!! I may change weather to always winter in FH :smile:
    Tanja1986 wrote: »

This picture looks promising! Glistening snow, foot and paw prints, and look at that dog tube! Is it an illusion, or is it actually deeper in the snow? :open_mouth: either way this screenshot looks amazing and I can't wait for Seasons to arrive!!! I may change weather to always winter in FH :smile:

The longer I look at it the more I think it is an illusion. I can try a similar shot in game but only tomorrow.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member

Okay, that's not too bad. It just looks like it snowed lightly, not that someone painted the ground.