Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's official- No snow depth

Comments

• MorinGlory23MorinGlory23 Posts: 64 Member
    I honestly can't fully understand why without seeing some concept art of snow depth in the game. They were able to do it in the Sims 2 which came out when computers were still boxes, and they did it with the Sims 3. In both games it was pretty and realistic. Heck if it snowed too much kids got snow days in both games. Plus they could have done some texture of something to the snow so it doesn't look like paint or the winter mod, which looks like they owe the modder some credit. I'm holding back on the pack. They gets everyone so hyped for the pack but once we get it its bugged, broken, and good for only a few days of gameplay. Like can anyone explain to me why toddlers and pets have more depth then child-elder sims??
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Honestly, I don't find it a big deal. Of course im disappointed but it's definitely not something im going to get up in arms about. Honestly, I'm much more interested in the other features like holidays and snow activities to be worried about snow depth.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't find it a big deal. Of course im disappointed but it's definitely not something im going to get up in arms about. Honestly, I'm much more interested in the other features like holidays and snow activities to be worried about snow depth.

May I ask you which snow activities are you excited about?

Snow angels, ice skating, snow men or shoveling weird lumps of snow for what I presume will be collectables.

Just asking and not being rude if it comes across that way.
  • DragonSireDragonSire Posts: 12 New Member
    > @Aine said:
    > SAEldarin wrote: »
    >
    > 06Bon06 wrote: »
    >
    > soko37 wrote: »
    >
    > I will probably get ripped for this, but I still think the snow looks pretty. It has a sparkle to it and when the picture scales back and shows a snow covered neighborhood, I definitely get the sensation that it's winter. It does look a bit like white paint on the roads, but looks beautiful hanging off trees and the icicles hanging off houses. It feels like winter, and that's what is important to me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't think you deserve to be ripped for an opinion. Nobody does. The roads don't look that bad but to me the white grass and the odd looking snow angels bother me. The weird snow piles where it is otherwise flat snow bother me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As for those odd snow piles...I'm wondering if they're just like the leaf piles in TS2. Makes sense to rake up leaves all over the yard, right? But snow? If those piles show up all over the yard, and my sim wants to shovel his walkway but ends up shoveling random snow piles scattered throughout the yard, I'm sending my sim straight into the Asylum challenge. Or am I the only one who thinks shoveling your yard is plum?
    >
    >
    >
    > My guess is that they are repurposed from the leaf piles, just painted white - with maybe some small mesh changes. And yes shoveling the yard is super silly. Especially since there is no snow depth at all. Finally the sims have gone insane. lol

They re purposed a fair amount from what I can see, besides the obvious snowball/mud/balloon fights, skating/iceskating, snow piles/leaf piles.
    DragonSire wrote: »
    > @PRSJMS said:
    > I don't really mind this at all. We barely ever get deep know where I live. I think the deepest ever in my life time was a couple of inches. I'm far more interested in the general effects of the weather and gameplay than the cosmetics, to be honest!

lol so because you don't get much snow, you wouldn't understand places that do and the culture that comes out of it, snow boarding, skiing, ice hockey, snow mobiles etc. So what is normal for you certainly isn't normal for everyone.

I've never touched snow in my life but I love deep snow in the games. It feels like a holiday with the deep snow.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I’m in complete and utter awe by the fact that so many players are complaining about snow, and that so many players are quick to disregard all the brand new content we are getting with this pack just because there’s a lack of snow details. I had no idea that snow was ever this important, to anybody, ever.
    filipomel wrote: »
    I’m in complete and utter awe by the fact that so many players are complaining about snow, and that so many players are quick to disregard all the brand new content we are getting with this pack just because there’s a lack of snow details. I had no idea that snow was ever this important, to anybody, ever.

It's always been to me. It's summer her during the holidays so I love having that thick snow, ice cold feeling I get from sims 3 when it is winter.
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Snow angels, ice skating, snow men or shoveling weird lumps of snow for what I presume will be collectables.

Not necessarily excited, interested. I'm interested about kind of activities there are to do in the snow. How it affects the temperature and how that affects the sims and the new thermostat, etc.

Not necessarily excited, interested. I'm interested about kind of activities there are to do in the snow. How it affects the temperature and how that affects the sims and the new thermostat, etc.

Ok cool.. I'm interested in seeing that kind of thing too but winter can't be winter to me without snow.
    Remember to keep on topic and be nice to each other^^
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

I'm not sure what's to get about people having different values than you? The lack of snow depth doesn't bother me either but I still can understand how for some it's an important feature.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I would prefer deep snow, especially in FH but I don't need it.
    The snow actually looks like it does when it snows here in S.E. England, so in a way it's comforting that it looks so similar to me.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    Cynna wrote: »
    > @PRSJMS said:
    > I don't really mind this at all. We barely ever get deep know where I live. I think the deepest ever in my life time was a couple of inches. I'm far more interested in the general effects of the weather and gameplay than the cosmetics, to be honest!

lol so because you don't get much snow, you wouldn't understand places that do and the culture that comes out of it, snow boarding, skiing, ice hockey, snow mobiles etc. So what is normal for you certainly isn't normal for everyone.

Last time, Seasons came with Soccer. I was actually hoping for ice hockey this time. :) Same idea, actually -- get an object past a goalie. Still, it would have been cool to sit it on skates or even field hockey.

I'm in a middle ground. The game is okay to me with a lot of mods but I feel it lacks depth and meaning. My sims have no memory and it like they have no awareness to anything happening in their world. They don't react to furniture they like. They don't care if the rooms aren't painted or if there are no lights. It makes me feel like it doesn't matter how their home looks. I know it's a game and the previous sims didn't care either but it gave that feeling.

I was excited to add seasons to my latest family, but I feel disappointed by something I'd never imagine they'd do. I didn't download the first snow mod because I thought to myself I don't want flat 'snow' I'll wait for EA to do it right. They did so well with sims 3 it could just be better. To me it isn't! No matter how many times they mention the thermostat (something we don't have in my country) or the scarecrow, or the florist career. None of those can make up for the lost feeling of the season. And yet I'd still want the pack just so my sims aren't stuck in summer forever.

That's the hook that they reel us in with, isn't it?

It is. But if get this pack on a sale. I made the mistake with pets and I'm not going to repeat it.
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > DragonSire wrote: »
    >
    > > @PRSJMS said:
    > > I don't really mind this at all. We barely ever get deep know where I live. I think the deepest ever in my life time was a couple of inches. I'm far more interested in the general effects of the weather and gameplay than the cosmetics, to be honest!
    >
    > lol so because you don't get much snow, you wouldn't understand places that do and the culture that comes out of it, snow boarding, skiing, ice hockey, snow mobiles etc. So what is normal for you certainly isn't normal for everyone.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That person was just stating their opinion and that they don't personally mind, not that it doesn't matter..
    >
    > Again, I get the disappointment, but some of us are excited about the pack anyway. There's nothing wrong with either :)

Companies like EA keep pushing customers, charging more, including less, splitting up games, loot boxes. Appreciating what is good is not a bad thing. But when people brush things off because they are not emotionally infested in the property, or have tons of cash to spend, or is there first version of the game, should respect people who have been here from the beginning and know they they are looking out for the long term best interest of those paying. They gauge responses to see what they can get away with. EA is not your friend, it wants your money, it does not care about you. That does not mean people working on the project don't. But plum sometimes needs to run uphill.

Lol seriously, I played all the games too. I'm nearly 30 years old, I grew up with the sims just like you and many others did. Anyway, I won't go into this any further, because I know this discussion will just keep winding itself around a point that doesn't matter anyway, but stop equating your dissatisfaction with what is right or true. It isn't any less true that some of us enjoy playing this game, despite its flaws, than it's true that you don't. And if you enjoy this game, seasons is something you can be excited for without losing your right to an opinion.

I'm in a middle ground. The game is okay to me with a lot of mods but I feel it lacks depth and meaning. My sims have no memory and it like they have no awareness to anything happening in their world. They don't react to furniture they like. They don't care if the rooms aren't painted or if there are no lights. It makes me feel like it doesn't matter how their home looks. I know it's a game and the previous sims didn't care either but it gave that feeling.

I was excited to add seasons to my latest family, but I feel disappointed by something I'd never imagine they'd do. I didn't download the first snow mod because I thought to myself I don't want flat 'snow' I'll wait for EA to do it right. They did so well with sims 3 it could just be better. To me it isn't! No matter how many times they mention the thermostat (something we don't have in my country) or the scarecrow, or the florist career. None of those can make up for the lost feeling of the season. And yet I'd still want the pack just so my sims aren't stuck in summer forever.

Like I said before, I really am sad for those who are disappointed and I get how the devs' explanation can seem insignificant. I was just pointing out to our fellow simmer that everyone has a right to their opinions and feelings, and to enjoy or to not enjoy this game.

It's really unfortunate though that the immersion is missing for you :/ I hope that will change either in TS4 still or, hopefully, in a better TS5. I mean, this iteration definitely does lack depth, I'm actually in total agreement about that, but I still like it & feel it's gotten a lot better over the years. But I'm still holding out hope for a TS5 that pleases a larger number of people and that uses some modern technology to bring back a form of open world and, you know, deep snow.

Same
    I enjoy the new things in sims 4. Luckily I still have sims 3 on my laptop and I can enjoy it and with it deep snow.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited May 2018
    A disappointment for sure, but I can overlook it so long as it looks like snow and is as aesthetically pleasing as they claim.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited May 2018
    Personally I'm not dismissing anything. I was quite hyped before the final nail to the proverbial coffin of snow depth. It doesn't matter how enjoyable other features are - I play a seasons pack for the weather foremost - without snow, for me, it's like half the pack - it's like saying we only get 3 seasons when they advertise 4. That's what it feels like to me. No amount of sprinkles on top is going to make the cake taste better. I know that's not the case for everyone, but for me it's too jarring, too weird. Imagine a feature that you consider the most important part of this pack, then imagine it was cut because it was too hard. There you go.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I'm not sure what's to get about people having different values than you? The lack of snow depth doesn't bother me either but I still can understand how for some it's an important feature.

All I’m saying is I never realized until now how something I viewed as so small is actually a big deal to many players, so big of a deal to the point that I already see players saying this new pack is lacking and isn’t good, because of one detail. I never said these people can’t complain, I’m just kind of shocked to see this many players complaining in the first place.
  • SimAddiction101SimAddiction101 Posts: 112 Member
    It has snow. Just not snow depth. The winter in The Sims 4 from what I've seen so far looks absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't understand how it could feel like half of a pack just because the snow won't build up.
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member
    Simguru Grant gave us some fun gifs to "make up" for the lack of snow depth... that doesn't help atall ;__;
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
    It has snow. Just not snow depth. The winter in The Sims 4 from what I've seen so far looks absolutely gorgeous. I personally don't understand how it could feel like half of a pack just because the snow won't build up.

Nope there isn't snow. Even light snow would accumulate on objects. Look at the stuff closely, it a recolor
    Fake snow painted on.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    I'm good. You can still shovel it, you can play in it, leave foot prints. It's interactive enough for me, looks lovely, and I trust that the developers are doing their best to make a good game. The developers themselves aren't out to do questionable work. They want a great game, too. If cutting out the time it would take to get deep snow buildup to look 'just' right means being able to provide more content, I'm sure they made the right decision.

There IS a spot in the trailer, toward the end, where the Sim's feet look to be under the snow a little. When prompted about this 'illusion,' Sim Guru Grant said there were 'no illusions' and what you see in the trailer is what you get so. However you want to take that, whether it's just a weird game play quirk and the shoes went through the sidewalk (not an unusual thing, to be fair), or (hopeful thinking) there is at least some very minor buildup even if only on sidewalks...eh. Shrug? Goodness knows this has probably already been mentioned, anyway. I certainly didn't read all 16 pages of this thread. Call me lazy, you're not wrong.

The short of it, I'm good, looks good, can't wait.
    a63ftuN.png

Nope there isn't snow. Even light snow would accumulate on objects. Look at the stuff closely, it a recolor
    Fake snow painted on.

There's snow. You can re-watch the trailer if need be but there's snow....
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    I can't wait to see what winter will look like in the livestream. I will always be disappointed there isn't more believable snow on the ground, but I might still be pleasantly surprised by the overall atmosphere. Hopefully the backdrops subtly change between seasons, and most of the objects left outside during snowfalls do get snow on them, despite the occurrences we saw in the trailer. If they don't... Well, let's just say I hope they do.
    Actually, I wonder if we could ask the gurus about it?
    edited May 2018
    I mean I guess it's all up to preference. Do you want new things/gameplay or do you want to play the same game? Do you want to focus on gameplay or do you want the game to have more visual aspects? It seems like you can't have it both ways

Fake snow painted on.

There's snow. You can re-watch the trailer if need be but there's snow....

I mean on there stuff. You can look at the pictures. It's not snow, it looks to be painted on. If you mean the effect falling from the sky? I don't think they even confirmed whether it's fx or not.