Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    YsC3RWK.png

Note that this is clearly very heavy snow. Whilst the snow is still completely flat some objects, such as the BIG WIDE PARASOL have no snow at all!

za57fR2.png

I can't be the only one that noticed this the first time they watched the trailer?

I'm almost certain that snow doesn't exist in this pack and that they've just recoloured/painted outdoor items to appear white; hence items which you would expect to find indoors (and some other items, such as the parasol), have not even one flake on them.

It's all visual effect. There's no actual snow. Gurus: prove me wrong, PLEASE.

This is insane, I didn't see that since I was watching on my phone. Do you think CC and other stuff will even have snow?

Probably not, because I think they just added some recolor or whatever layer to certain objects. They simply ''forgot'' about the rest.

They released 14 stuffpacks already so yeah they need to do recolors of every object, they simply just didn't do that.

So I doubt CC has snow on it.

It's a lot of work if you ask me, like the pictures above show that @king_of_simcity7 posted, every object has snow in sims 3, including the lampposts because it was done properly.

It reminds me of the Gender update thing, I was excited to have more pants in general but since they now automatically add some female pants to the male section, I found a good pair of pants and then it looks funny because it is designed for females and it shows between the legs area.
    So basically the snow in this pack is as useless as the pants from the update XD

It IS a lot of work, but they knew beforehand they had to do it somehow. I mean, they know exactly they are going to make some EP focused on Seasons a long time beforehand.

It's their thing really, we pay them millions, and I think we also deserve quality. It seems more like the Snow was just something they came up with at a later stage like: Oh PLUM! we still have to add snow! ...
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2018
    YsC3RWK.png

Note that this is clearly very heavy snow. Whilst the snow is still completely flat some objects, such as the BIG WIDE PARASOL have no snow at all!

za57fR2.png

I can't be the only one that noticed this the first time they watched the trailer?

I'm almost certain that snow doesn't exist in this pack and that they've just recoloured/painted outdoor items to appear white; hence items which you would expect to find indoors (and some other items, such as the parasol), have not even one flake on them.

This is insane, I didn't see that since I was watching on my phone. Do you think CC and other stuff will even have snow?

Probably not, because I think they just added some recolor or whatever layer to certain objects. They simply ''forgot'' about the rest.

They released 14 stuffpacks already so yeah they need to do recolors of every object, they simply just didn't do that.

It's a lot of work if you ask me, like the pictures above show that @king_of_simcity7 posted, every object has snow in sims 3, including the lampposts because it was done properly.

It reminds me of the Gender update thing, I was excited to have more pants in general but since they now automatically add some female pants to the male section, I found a good pair of pants and then it looks funny because it is designed for females and it shows between the legs area.
    So basically the snow in this pack is as useless as the pants from the update XD

It IS a lot of work, but they knew beforehand they had to do it somehow. I mean, they know exactly they are going to make some EP focused on Seasons a long time beforehand.

It's their thing really, we pay them millions, and I think we also deserve quality. It seems more like the Snow was just something they came up with at a later stage like: Oh PLUM! we still have to add snow! ...

This is what makes me think that it might be more of a performance-related choice. They must know this stuff is wanted; they also know, in ways we can't know, what will slow our games down overly much and what won't. There've been a few posts in this thread going into some of the technical side of things. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the explanation we get is at least partly technical.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    'The floor turns whitish'

Well I did expect to hear something like that. We had that type of snow in TS1 and due to the way that TS4 has been handled at the time it sadly does not surprise me that some limitations are still running deep.

I mean I am sure that the snow looks good but it will never be like this:

25439918_10155150950346497_5318618482707908985_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f132cc7c188a8f588822270f377a8a89&oe=5B7633C9

25439877_10155164902806497_1473496160896222256_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f4cfcadf098987781b873976fd49c3b4&oe=5B88D324

25587073_10155164902816497_251566390260241761_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=00ed46d5350f82d47601b716e989b6b6&oe=5B7FBE34

25586901_10155164902961497_1124105621126505700_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=326ce23a2f72b7385051a0632c71301a&oe=5B837010

25626425_10155164903101497_1305906306773779251_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fc56f6dbb83181564c3a91b073565bf4&oe=5B834598

To me it doesn't look good at all. To me it doesn't look like snow, it does look like some white painted terrain and roof.

Another thing is that there are even objects outside that don't even get covered in snow at all! Like a table and parasol, Trash Cans, Lamp posts etc.

I find it extremely rushed.

If you are making a whole EP dedicated to Weather/Seasons (it's named Seasons for a reason), you would expect them putting as much effort in every weather related aspect as they can.

Winter like this is just immersion breaking, but we all know they are probably not going to change anything because of our feedback (so much for ''your feedback matters'') They will probably come up with some low blow excuse about performance or ''trade off'' because otherwise they could not have done things like beekeeping or whatever.

The pack overall looks good (but trailers always look good) but this is another low point in this series. If you think you had it all, they find something else to totally mess up..

But hey: ''Your feedback matters'' and ''We take player feedback VERY seriously'' yeah, right.

It has limitations and I am disappointed but I can live with it, some may be buying the pack because they are tired of endless summers and that is the one reason I am getting this pack. However, it would be interesting to see the rest of the pack as well.

Look, I am not saying this complete pack is bad. I am just saying they did an amazing sloppy job with the winter in the game.

What some people seem to forget (and no, I am not targeting you when I say this) is that we pay MILLIONS of dollars for this game all together. Why can't we just have a fully well made EP? I mean, this EP focus is Seasons and Weather, you would think that they did their absolute best, most of their budget, most of their effort to make the weather and seasons and its effects the best and most complete ever?

It just looks like snow was just an afterthought at this point.

I never said you said the pack was bad. I was just saying how I feel and I agree with your post but as said I can live with it even if I am disappointed because I just tired of endless summers. I and no one here can say how much they could have done here with this pack only EA/Maxis knows and whatever decision they made that is what I and others that buy this pack have to live with. Other than the SPs, packs have had shortcuts made to them due to technical reasons or business reasons and like you and I am repeating what I posted it would be interesting to see the rest of the pack.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    YsC3RWK.png

za57fR2.png

I don't know if what I meant got lost but I meant that painting every object is a lot of work. I feel that was either the case or the engine doesn't support any terrain editing including snow. But it looks really bad.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Only things make me happy is that the snow looks better than in TS3. Just my opinion.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    One thing that contradicts the snow being too complicated, though, is the fact that they now say they aren't ruling out things like terrain tools or a create a world tool. I'm pretty certain those types of things are going to be HIGHLY complicated to program and implement successfully. They may not be able to really do them, but they're starting to talk about working on these types of tools. So, if they think that can manage those items, they should also be able to manage "deep snow." Or at least improve the snow slightly. Maybe those things will just get patched in later, and that's fine with me. I'd just like to know that they plan to improve it at some point. Also, there could be some climate-based mechanism that we haven't seen. I think it's unlikely, but of course it's possible.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I am not sure that a CAW tool is that difficult for them to make because I believe that they already have such a tool for their own internal use. Therefore releasing such a tool to us is likely just about modifying their own tool a little such that it can be used by the public.

Depth in the snow is much worse because it likely has to be made individually for all the objects that can be covered by snow. To do this for all kinds of objects must be a huge work. So I don’t really believe that there is any chance that they will do it when they haven’t done it already.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2018
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    One thing that contradicts the snow being too complicated, though, is the fact that they now say they aren't ruling out things like terrain tools or a create a world tool. I'm pretty certain those types of things are going to be HIGHLY complicated to program and implement successfully. They may not be able to really do them, but they're starting to talk about working on these types of tools. So, if they think that can manage those items, they should also be able to manage "deep snow." Or at least improve the snow slightly. Maybe those things will just get patched in later, and that's fine with me. I'd just like to know that they plan to improve it at some point. Also, there could be some climate-based mechanism that we haven't seen. I think it's unlikely, but of course it's possible.

Complicated to develop, but static. They could have little effect on performance. Create-a-world would be an external tool, probably designed so that what it produces is no more of a performance issue than our current worlds. Terrain is terrain; it doesn't change.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Only things make me happy is that the snow looks better than in TS3. Just my opinion.
    May I ask why? The only reason I could imagine is that some people don't like the whole graphic style of TS3, but even then I would say the snow definitely looks better...
    May I ask why? The only reason I could imagine is that some people don't like the whole graphic style of TS3, but even then I would say the snow definitely looks better...

I don't know why, it's just looks better. :D But I like the graphic style of TS3.
    Lu4ERme.gif

I don't know why, it's just looks better. :D But I like the graphic style of TS3.

Maybe you really like pure white? XD Because there isn't much snow unless you mean the actual snow objects ^^

Maybe you really like pure white? XD Because there isn't much snow unless you mean the actual snow objects ^^

Maybe, anyway. :smiley:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    This is stilll not yet confirmed though.
    y'all got bread?
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Like_That wrote: »
    This is stilll not yet confirmed though.

That’s why this is in Speculation and Rumor, not Confirmation and Fact ;)

Joking aside, the only thing I could see is climate specific mechanics affecting how the snow looks. But, past experience seems to indicate that what we see is pretty much what we get.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited May 2018
    I know the previous thread was closed, but this adds new information to the table, so try to keep it polite.

A twitter user following Grant actually found this screenshot of snow past the Sim's feet.

DeJ-w8XXUAAbdFP.jpg:large

Could we actually get different depths after all? Note that No guru has neither confirmed nor denied that we will get different depths, just that they can't talk about it yet.

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I’m looking forward to knowing more for sure, since they said each world will be different in regards to how seasons play out, maybe some will only get light dustings and others will get tons.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    edited May 2018
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

I searched the whole thread you linked and did not see the picture posted once.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    Oops. Wrong thread. It was posted here a couple of days ago.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940260/seasons-no-snow-depth-and-accumulation/p11
  • MikeytMikeyt Posts: 42 Member
    I'd be disappointed if there is no depth to the snow. However, I'm much more concerned about the fact that most objects placed outside don't seem to have snow appearing on them! Look at the street lights, the decorations etc...
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't know if it's snow depth or maybe the paths do that. I really don't care much as long as my sims look like they are in a winter situation. I know watching the trailer it all looked great to me. I want it to run great too.
    egTcBMc.png
    That's a visual illusion, if you look at the snow next to it, it's flat and if you look at the full picture it is definitely flat. All that happened was another sim also walked there leaving footsteps that gave that illusion.

@celipoesias posted this
    Some people have quoted this image hoping to find, perhaps, some kind of depth, but unfortunately this is not the case.

As you may have noticed, the Sims leave footprints on the snow as they walk on it. These footprints have a bit of high relief.

If you notice, there are two Sims on the sidewalk, one going in the opposite direction to the other. What happens is that the male sim was walking very close to the footprints that were left by the female so, that walked in the opposite direction. This ended up creating an illusion of optics that his feet would be sunk into the snow, when in fact they are not.

And yet, if you look at the whole lot shown in the same picture, you may notice that all objects and plants are fully exposed out of the snow.

L6GVwfi.jpg

And this great comparison was posted by @Moodbeamy
    RgYBJBO.png

If someone can explain where the layer of snow in this image is I'd be really grateful. I can't see any difference in the roof line, road, pavement; anything anywhere. Even the drain doesn't have any kind of snow cover; that should be a dead giveaway for sure (and if it was layered up in front of it then you wouldn't see it).

As you can see, if there was depth the snow wouldn't perfectly align with non snow even if it is very light snow.

here you can see the fire hydrant also doesn't have anything extra on top, the fire hydrant itself has been colored white.

42280555462_392a03723a_z.jpgThe Sims 4 Seasons_ Official Reveal Trailer 0319 by SimsVIP, on Flickr

The footsteps also look pretty flat

This certainly looks like blizzard weather to me but the 'snow' still has no volume

Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Mikeyt wrote: »
    I'd be disappointed if there is no depth to the snow. However, I'm much more concerned about the fact that most objects placed outside don't seem to have snow appearing on them! Look at the street lights, the decorations etc...

That doesn't make much sense, I agree.
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Mikeyt wrote: »

That's because there is no snow. This is what I keep saying. It's not a lack of depth; it's a lack of snow ENTIRELY.

If I was wrong I'm sure I'd have been corrected by one of the Gurus by now; we know that they're watching this thread as the comments keep getting removed.

Go back to page 14 and see the pictures I posted; they're pretty good evidence for what I'm saying.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Thanks again @06Bon06

I'll share these here too: (this is a post I made in another thread on this topic)

YsC3RWK.png

za57fR2.png

There is NO snow in Seasons. It's a white recolour on anything they could manage. Hence some items don't have it.
    tFU6JMe.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top