Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DESTROYED WINTER: Snow is flat, no depth. Snow looks like white paint on the roofs.

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited May 2018
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    I think it is more a case of everyone rejoice that Seasons is coming and that Seasons seems to be jam-packed with tons of stuff.

We can quibble over the realism of snow.

Theoretically, we can add snow drift/build-up via modded geometry - ie static - ie you'd have to keep swapping it.

TS3 had snow angels, but those were geometry introduced into the world, then removed. It wasn't some kind of real-time depth effect - it was a mesh.

But they didn't look odd. I've moved mine around when in build mode XD then they look odd. Right. Now snow angels look bizarre! Where are they pushing the snow from? It's clearly flat so sims must be sweating snow.

Also, I am not being mean before I sound that way but where is the jam packed?

Judging sims 3 trailer vs sims 4 trailer and that means I'm only looking at what we saw in the sims 3 trailer it has at least double the stuff sims 4 has.

So how is
    A swing
    A splashpool
    A scarecrow
    A tree
    A weather machine
    A sprinker
    A skate rink
    And a roller blading rink
    Jam packed. Everyone keeps saying this but sims 3 seasons had way more objects to interact with. What am I missing? This is what always bother me with sims 4 is there are next to no objects in a pack, just a bunch of clothes and a big feature that isn't that interesting.

Yes I just looked at objects because right now it's easiest to compare.

They added new parties but if the time limit thing is still there how fun will a feast party be? I enjoy having the family spend the whole day to celebrate snowflake day not a timed event.

I really want to see what everyone find so exciting. Because I was excited about seasons but it seems to have nothing. I mean two of those are actual bg object that they took 4 years to make.
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    The Sims 3 has a persistent world. The Sims 4 does not.

If you want dynamic snow that has perceived depth then you have to potentially rebuild a scene each time you travel - ie to a nightclub, to The Goths house, back to your Sim's house.

What happens when you play the Sims? Time passes.

You have to rebuild scenes to do this because the world is not persistent.

The notion of snow gathering on roofs, etc is easy - but it cannot be done on-the-fly like it is with The Sims 3. There is no way of doing it other than when loading a scene, calculating/re-calculating snow and then displaying the scene.

EDIT:
    ie, how are you simulating snow on lots that are not resident - ie loaded - ie visible?

If the snow is thawing outside a lot and you then travel to The Goths' house then it has to be re-calculated - it may have been summer when you last visited The Goths - every time you go back to their house during snow periods, you will have to recalculate the weather - in terms of actual snow depth, coverage, drift, etc.

We think the worlds of The Sims 4 are not persistent, but they are to some extent. When I travel to a particular lot, from another world, and then I go somewhere else, and then return to where I was before, the Sims will still be there. It all involves a matter of internal configuration so that the worlds can store certain information, in the same way they will be able to store information about the texture of snow on the ground and on the roof, not for the simple fact of being the current season of the year.

Not having snow accumulation because of persistence is strange, let's face it. And the game gives examples that can be persistent on several quite specific occasions. If the accumulation of snow does not work properly, the rest of the seasons would not work either, and would be constantly changing with each trip that we were to make, because a station does not only have a fixed look, it is variable.
    There is a striking difference between persistent simulation and persistent geometry.

I would expect Sim's etc to be persistent - ie the game probably has to be able to access them without rendering them.

Having what you/we want is achievable - maybe it will be like that; however, it would depend on how much effort Maxis want to put into this.

I don't seen any possible reason why Maxis have a backdoor on this - unless they had planned it all along. It could well be that Maxis had pre-thought of a solution; HOWEVER, from what everyone is complaining about - there is no current visual evidence that you are getting what you want.

I am just saying this probably isn't for 'laziness'/'shortcut' reasons - I honestly believe it would be technically problematic - but not impossible.
    edited May 2018
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I think it is more a case of everyone rejoice that Seasons is coming and that Seasons seems to be jam-packed with tons of stuff.

We can quibble over the realism of snow.

Theoretically, we can add snow drift/build-up via modded geometry - ie static - ie you'd have to keep swapping it.

TS3 had snow angels, but those were geometry introduced into the world, then removed. It wasn't some kind of real-time depth effect - it was a mesh.

But they didn't look odd. I've moved mine around when in build mode XD then they look odd. Right. Now snow angels look bizarre! Where are they pushing the snow from? It's clearly flat so sims must be sweating snow.

Also, I am not being mean before I sound that way but where is the jam packed?

Judging sims 3 trailer vs sims 4 trailer and that means I'm only looking at what we saw in the sims 3 trailer it has at least double the stuff sims 4 has.

So how is
    A swing
    A splashpool
    A scarecrow
    A tree
    A weather machine
    A sprinker
    A skate rink
    And a roller blading rink
    Jam packed. Everyone keeps saying this but sims 3 seasons had way more objects to interact with. What am I missing? This is what always bother me with sims 4 is there are next to no objects in a pack, just a bunch of clothes and a big feature that isn't that interesting.

Yes I just looked at objects because right now it's easiest to compare.

They added new parties but if the time limit thing is still there how fun will a feast party be? I enjoy having the family spend the whole day to celebrate snowflake day not a timed event.

I really want to see what everyone find so exciting. Because I was excited about seasons but it seems to have nothing. I mean two of those are actual bg object that they took 4 years to make.

Because the snow is not as deep or basically just a texture, then a snow angle mesh would just be more shallow (assuming they use one) - I would expect them to probably still use a 3D mesh and it would be masked the same way as the TS3 one with some kind of particle effect of snow.

The bottom line is, until we see more of Seasons, we don't really know what we are getting or how they are doing it.

So, someone could mod in replacement meshes, but they might look ridiculous if nobody is also doing something about the depth of the actual snow.

There is no way to easily mod snow depth on a lot - it is doable, but it would not be consistent with the lot next door, etc - unless you are modifying a ton of stuff.

• the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    I'm thinking the reason the gurus haven't said anything about snow accumulation isn't because they don't have it, but because they literally cannot say a word about it, I don't think they're allowed to say anything until an official blog post all about Winter is released, and then we'll see whether there's snow accumulation or not.

I reckon because of the controversy surrounding snow, the gurus desperately want to reassure us that there is accumulation (if there is) but cannot, because if they spoil any information that will be discussed and/or revealed in the blog post then their jobs would be at risk - and unfortunately snow in general just might be one of those things.

Despite all evidence we have thus far pointing at now accumulation, I'm still going to hold hope and wait until they are allowed to officially say something.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited May 2018
    -- deleted --
    Based on the number of snow accumulation threads and comments, surely it would be easier for the Snow campaign to at least explain how they want to achieve the snow that they want?

I mean, you want snow accumulation - ie depth, etc - but HOW do you want it to be achieved? What's the plan?

I can say I want a 747 passenger airliner to have ejector seats, but there has to be a bit of thought into it - you can't just fit ejector seats to a 747.
    Based on the number of snow accumulation threads and comments, surely it would be easier for the Snow campaign to at least explain how they want to achieve the snow that they want?

I mean, you want snow accumulation - ie depth, etc - but HOW do you want it to be achieved? What's the plan?

I can say I want a 747 passenger airliner to have ejector seats, but there has to be a bit of thought into it - you can't just fit ejector seats to a 747.

Assuming snow accumulation isn't a thing, I hope the developers have enough time to implement it before launch (which I doubt) - honestly, I'd be happy if they included it in a patch (say a month after launch) - just like how they improved the ball pit through a patch.

But most us aren't game designer (or plane engineers). We're not responsible or getting paid for giving them in-depth instructions on how to make better snow. It's not that we expect something completely impossible. We would just like to have more than recolored grass. Make the snow look like it's actually a few inches high. Maybe it is impossible with the game engine (I think they said there are quite a few limitations?) but isn't it pretty sad to even choose to go this way in the first place then? It's 2018 and once again we have to cut corners in a EP because the game engine can't handle it.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

But most us aren't game designer (or plane engineers). We're not responsible or getting paid for giving them in-depth instructions on how to make better snow. It's not that we expect something completely impossible. We would just like to have more than recolored grass. Make the snow look like it's actually a few inches high. Maybe it is impossible with the game engine (I think they said there are quite a few limitations?) but isn't it pretty sad to even choose to go this way in the first place then? It's 2018 and once again we have to cut corners in a EP because the game engine can't handle it.

As we move forward with Sims 4, some of the end users will have to live with the decision that was made in 2014 and this scenario is not only experienced by EA/Maxis. It is important for the developer to futureproof thier game especially the engine used in the infancy of development. If you don't one might be stuck until the program end of production.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    You will all play Seasons next month - it will pour down with snow - tons of it - you will squeal like excited pigs - then, all of a sudden, it will lash down with rain and wash all of the snow away.

You and your Sims will be looking at wet, green, grass where 2 seconds ago there was a blanket of white.

Toddlers that were exploding with excitement will stand, motionless - frozen with a demonic fury - their bottom lips on the ground, as the last speck of snow is washed away.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

It isn’t about the game engine.
    Erpe wrote: »

I don't mean to spread false informations. If it wasn't about the game engine, then I apologize for being wrong. But I remember they often repeated that some limitations stopped them from adding things that we had in the past.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    No offence to anyone but how can you tell from a 10 second clip of the trailer that the snow will be flat? I mean I would understand that you would be mad if you saw a livestream of the game and the snow was flat and not what you were wanting . But a trailer and screenshots aren't doing it justice right now and you are mad over the fact you are basing all your facts on screenshots and a trailer.

It's an official trailer of in-game footage. TS4 Seasons releases on June 22nd. Pretty much gone gold right? What could possibly be tweaked? I'm pretty sure the game is DONE regardless of the fibs they tell. The proof is in the official trailer. But if some want to remain blind and deaf, oh well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0hCTyj2Kc

TS3 Seasons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5nTGm0j3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJPJ_rWZJM

TS2 Seasons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uw0uQVoCyw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULaCKSl002U
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

I don't mean to spread false informations. If it wasn't about the game engine, then I apologize for being wrong. But I remember they often repeated that some limitations stopped them from adding things that we had in the past.
    The game engine was designed for this game. But it could certainly handle more depth in the snow. I agree that they have said something about certain limitations. But the limitations are clearly about EA’s idea about TS4 becoming a new game with new content and as few repetitions of content from the previous games as possible.

Things take time and if the devs should repeat all main things from the previous game then there would be too little time to make new content. The snow was simplified this time (and so were babies, teens and different build tools). But only to make it possible to make a lot of new and different content instead. We are supposed to focus on the new things and to go back and play TS3 again if we miss the old things too much. But some simmers just want TS4 to have everything :)
  • ItsSimerellaaaItsSimerellaaa Posts: 9 New Member
    Well I'm thankful for a Seasons EP. Imagine if Ea told us we wouldn't get seasons because of whatever issues. The community would have been even more mad. Honestly, Ea is always under fire no matter what decision they choose. The snow really isn't that bad. TS4 and TS3 are two completely different games, and I wish people would stop comparing the two. It's okay to not like something, but to constantly berate Ea, and their skill and dedication is uncalled for. I commend them for doing a good job with whatever resources they have. Also... This hasn't even been confirmed by Ea! So for all we know Ea could just very well be teasing us, and saving the good stuff for later. I have faith. o:)
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    I recall a year ago a forum discussion about how people thought seasons supposedly wouldn't even be possible because of the game engine, backdrops, etc. And then later people were convinced seasons would be split up into different gamepacks.

I do think it's very likely that because of the game engine, depth of snow, while not impossible, would severely limit what they could do. Either taxing lower end PCs or they'd invest all their manpower into creating the snow and then we wouldn't get other things such as beekeeping or flower arranging. It's true that it's 2018 and ideally we would have better technical capabilities; however, if the game engine is created a certain way where there is no terrain etc. it may be a completely different challenge than it was in the past to create snow depth.

Yes, Sims 4 is more like Sims 2 - which had snow depth, but that had very defined lots, not the open neighborhood areas like we have in Sims 4. Each world in Sims 4 is custom-created, not generated by a tool like Sims 2 worlds. So I imagine depth of snow would need to be custom created for each world, not "calculated" according to a terrain map.

While depth in snow would be nice (if it is indeed missing), I'm much more interested in the gameplay and how it impacts our Sims.
    Pegasys wrote: »
    I recall a year ago a forum discussion about how people thought seasons supposedly wouldn't even be possible because of the game engine, backdrops, etc. And then later people were convinced seasons would be split up into different gamepacks.

I do think it's very likely that because of the game engine, depth of snow, while not impossible, would severely limit what they could do. Either taxing lower end PCs or they'd invest all their manpower into creating the snow and then we wouldn't get other things such as beekeeping or flower arranging. It's true that it's 2018 and ideally we would have better technical capabilities; however, if the game engine is created a certain way where there is no terrain etc. it may be a completely different challenge than it was in the past to create snow depth.

Yes, Sims 4 is more like Sims 2 - which had snow depth, but that had very defined lots, not the open neighborhood areas like we have in Sims 4. Each world in Sims 4 is custom-created, not generated by a tool like Sims 2 worlds. So I imagine depth of snow would need to be custom created for each world, not "calculated" according to a terrain map.

While depth in snow would be nice (if it is indeed missing), I'm much more interested in the gameplay and how it impacts our Sims.

Surely creating the snow for each neighbourhood would make it far easier - that way they can create 3 "states" (3 different layers of snow) and perfectly design them to fit each neighbourhood (?)

I'm not a game developer so what do I know :joy:
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm thinking the reason the gurus haven't said anything about snow accumulation isn't because they don't have it, but because they literally cannot say a word about it, I don't think they're allowed to say anything until an official blog post all about Winter is released, and then we'll see whether there's snow accumulation or not.

I reckon because of the controversy surrounding snow, the gurus desperately want to reassure us that there is accumulation (if there is) but cannot, because if they spoil any information that will be discussed and/or revealed in the blog post then their jobs would be at risk - and unfortunately snow in general just might be one of those things.

Despite all evidence we have thus far pointing at now accumulation, I'm still going to hold hope and wait until they are allowed to officially say something.

I'm not convinced but it's possible. They've shot down other things pretty fast, things people also really want (like no new world, no festival grounds, etc.). You're right that if the answer was a simple nope there isn't, they may just be allowed to say that. And they do mention blizzards so I still think there will be different types of snow. I think they were gonna address this in their upcoming Q&A though so maybe we'll find out more then. I still don't think the snow will be super deep, but I agree that there's probably still quite a bit we don't know at all, and how snow works may definitely be a part of that.
    SimTrippy wrote: »

I'm not convinced but it's possible. They've shot down other things pretty fast, things people also really want (like no new world, no festival grounds, etc.). You're right that if the answer was a simple nope there isn't, they may just be allowed to say that. And they do mention blizzards so I still think there will be different types of snow. I think they were gonna address this in their upcoming Q&A though so maybe we'll find out more then. I still don't think the snow will be super deep, but I agree that there's probably still quite a bit we don't know at all, and how snow works may definitely be a part of that.

But they usually stay quiet about thing they know will bother people and make a big excuse announcement about it.

I believe we can say this looks like a blizzard

The snow is still flat

Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg

Also, if there were any type of snow depth, the lowest snow wouldn't be in line with no snow.

RgYBJBO.png

@Moodbeamy image
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited May 2018
    @06Bon06

Thanks for mentioning me and introducing me to this thread!

For those of you that still have faith... well, I;m sorry. I'll share with you what I posted on another thread on this matter.

YsC3RWK.png

Note that this is clearly very heavy snow. Whilst the snow is still completely flat some objects, such as the BIG WIDE PARASOL have no snow at all!

za57fR2.png

I can't be the only one that noticed this the first time they watched the trailer?

I'm almost certain that snow doesn't exist in this pack and that they've just recoloured/painted outdoor items to appear white; hence items which you would expect to find indoors (and some other items, such as the parasol), have not even one flake on them.

It's all visual effect. There's no actual snow. Gurus: prove me wrong, PLEASE.

There is NO snow in Seasons. It's a white recolour on anything they could manage. Hence some items don't have it.
    tFU6JMe.png

But they usually stay quiet about thing they know will bother people and make a big excuse announcement about it.

The snow is still flat

Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg

Also, if there were any type of snow depth, the lowest snow wouldn't be in line with no snow.

RgYBJBO.png

@Moodbeamy image

Yeah I know, and I'm not holding my breath for deep snow. I'm fine with that as long as it looks good, personally, but it'd be nice if they'd at least consider updating it for those that are disappointed. Also, I think they'd do themselves a huge favor by being honest. If it really is an engine limitation, they should just come out and say that instead of "we chose not to focus on snow depth because we wanted to focus on new careers and bee keeping", simply because a seasons EP imho doesn't afford them the luxury of saying anything like that. If they were honest though and actually explained why it doesn't work or why it will have to be updated later, would be wiser, more forthcoming, and although it'd still be met with complaints, I think it would make simmers more open to listening to what they have to say.

The snow is still flat

Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg

RgYBJBO.png

@Moodbeamy image

Yeah I know, and I'm not holding my breath for deep snow. I'm fine with that as long as it looks good, personally, but it'd be nice if they'd at least consider updating it for those that are disappointed. Also, I think they'd do themselves a huge favor by being honest. If it really is an engine limitation, they should just come out and say that instead of "we chose not to focus on snow depth because we wanted to focus on new careers and bee keeping", simply because a seasons EP imho doesn't afford them the luxury of saying anything like that. If they were honest though and actually explained why it doesn't work or why it will have to be updated later, would be wiser, more forthcoming, and although it'd still be met with complaints, I think it would make simmers more open to listening to what they have to say.

Exactly, I'd be more accepting although not happy if they said they couldn't do it because their engine if they make excuses and say they focused on something else it just sounds bad. We had Such good snow in Sims 3 and from what I saw more activities and a life-state. So to say you focused on another small features makes it look like either you don't want to or you can't.

I play both Sims 3 and 4 because they both have thing I enjoy, I prefer 3 but love some of the more modern features of 4 including the build mode. I'd also be curious why sprinklers and Swings took 4 years to be released, I don't really consider them worthy of taking up space in a season's pack :/

The snow is still flat

Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg

RgYBJBO.png

@Moodbeamy image

Exactly, I'd be more accepting although not happy if they said they couldn't do it because their engine if they make excuses and say they focused on something else it just sounds bad. We had Such good snow in Sims 3 and from what I saw more activities and a life-state. So to say you focused on another small features makes it look like either you don't want to or you can't.

I play both Sims 3 and 4 because they both have thing I enjoy, I prefer 3 but love some of the more modern features of 4 including the build mode. I'd also be curious why sprinklers and Swings took 4 years to be released, I don't really consider them worthy of taking up space in a season's pack :/

Ah I think they fit fine, but maybe I'm just very happy to have swings in the game xD the life state also doesn't bother me since we got that one in another EP. And there's still some unexplained stuff about thunder man at the end of the trailer. But I fully agree that they really shouldn't compare making good seasonal effects to some feature, given both great snow and plenty of features were possible in both 2 and 3.
  • ItsSimerellaaaItsSimerellaaa Posts: 9 New Member
    Is this really the state of the Sims community? Analyzing the amount of snow on objects? My god... It could be a glitch for all we know. This is really crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top