Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Walls help

06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
Does anyone more experienced know of a better way to cover this edge, it's pretty high so I stacked two but what looks really weird is the corner.
Is there a different method or a different wall that I mat have missed.

BBBmkVf.jpg

Thank you

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited May 2018
    Does it have to be that high? I usually move them to where one shows the good corner and the other is movef into it- to hide that open area.

You can use Super CAW to get the Ambitions walls or the ITF dam. But- that seems really high for them, too.

*Be careful with the walls sitting in the lots. You might want to give some room around the lot- not right at the edge.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    @Rflong7

Well I actually made the city a bit higher than I meant to so that's why this is so high, I guess I can either just lower the military base or lower everything.

It was, I tried all the wall pieces.

Thank you! I was wondering about that. How many squares would you think I should leave open?
    Turn on your routing to make sure the red lines of the wall's shape aren't in the lot. I don't know how many...depends if you want anything walking around it. :)
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Turn on your routing to make sure the red lines of the wall's shape aren't in the lot. I don't know how many...depends if you want anything walking around it. :)

Thank you <3 I ended up lowering everything a bit so the walls work great now.
    @Rflong7

Sorry to summon you again but will it cause routing problems if the wall shape is under the road?

EC37Z86.jpg
    Yes, it can. Sims can get out of their vehicles and be trapped in the sidewalks that are in the red areas- which are not routed. :(

Just slide them off the road/sidewalk and you're golden. :mrgreen:
    Make sure they can get to the areas without going onto a lot. They don't like walking onto lots to get to it. :)
    @Rflong7

Just slide

Thank you so much. I will move them up a bit then and paint the grass. I put it right next to the sidewalk and when I used your routing tip I saw the red went under the sidewalk area of the road.

Thanks for the tip, there is an area all around the lot. The walls won't cause routing issues under normal land?
    The red shows where the object blocks routing- it will keep Sims from walking there. The road lets Sims get out of their cars and 'materialize' on the sidewalk. That can place them on the sidewalk where the object blocks passage. It traps them. It might never happen- because they'd stop the car at a lot but sometimes thing work to mess things up if there's a chance. :)

Give horses 2 squares of passages around objects and lots to pass (in those open areas). Sometimes they seem to spawn in the strangest places. :)
    @Rflong7
    Thank you again.
    Excuse me for all the question I'm asking but I want to make sure I get it right.

The red shoes when it is under land. Does that mean sims won't be able to route there?

You say leave to squares for horses, that isn't necessary between lots? Because I placed all of mine with a one square gap.

You are so helpful <3 you deserve a cookie factory. It was actually your worlds that inspired me try again and build my own.
    I have read horses like 2 squares but if you've never had problems with them, don't worry about having 2. :)

No, Sims won't route there (inside the red routing areas of objects) or they will get stuck walking- on sidewalks/roads. That's why you check with the Show Routing option.

I don't mind the questions at all. :mrgreen::cookie:
    Well seeing as I haven't played this world yet, if you think 2 squares are better I can easily move the lots up a bit, sicne I've only put down lots and roads for that very reason.

So I should probably leave about two squares around the road to :#
    HUEL0Z9.jpg

See they are one square apart, this is the city center but moving them up so there is two square difference will be worth it if it means horses won't get stuck.

cUnCTY4.jpg

Lastly, the red showing through the grass, sims won't be able to walk there?

4dUy50G.jpg

Thanks again for answering all my question XD The last world I attempted I didn't bother much with any of this.
    edited May 2018
    Horses run on the roads/sidewalks so I don't see a problem. It's getting around/between lots and objects.

Yes, they won't be able to go into that red area. But make sure there aren't any holes in the object area. Some objects, I can't think of any right now- don't restrict access all the way through (like a hole in the middle. Which makes a place Sims can generate and get stuck.
    Turn off Objects in Toolbar-View-Layers and untick Objects. That will hide all the objects so you can see under and through them. :)

XkNJvy0.jpg
    Horses run on the roads/sidewalks so I don't see a problem. It's getting around/between lots and objects.

Yes, they won't be able to go into that red area. But make sure there aren't any holes in the object area. Some objects, I can't think of any right now- don't restrict access all the way through (like a hole in the middle. Which makes a place Sims can generate and get stuck.
    Turn off Objects in Toolbar-View-Layers and untick Objects. That will hide all the objects so you can see under and through them. :)

XkNJvy0.jpg

I ended up spacing out all the lots to fit a sidewalk between. Just to prevent any unnecessary problems.

I will do that tomorrow. So you mean the land underneath should be flat?
    No, the land doesn't have to be flat. :)
    @Rflong7
    Here is what I have

nFd7jZ5.jpg

Without the objects
    NGL4SFR.jpg

Any tips on a more natural look?

Rbb2I63.jpg
    What do you want it to look like?

I sometimes alternate the Hill - Steep/Valley - Steep on low strength but high falloff to give it some roughness. It takes some back and forth with the tool to get something. But, it depends what you want it to look like

Also, since you're editing the land so close to a lot, you might want to use the Mask at a few squares away to protect the edges of the lot. Keep the sculpting from ripping it too much.

You can smooth the masked part gently if you need to- after you clean the mask. :)

AbSefUB.jpg

2nvoz2k.jpg
    Ahh thanks, I will do that since I kept having to rebuild the land.

I want a softer look... Or maybe I should make it rocky. But I used the gentle tool and it kept making holes or weird hills even on the lowest strength.
    If you want- make a gentle slope and add lots of rocks. :)
    If you want- make a gentle slope and add lots of rocks. :)

Ok thanks. I'll try that. I think I should go for a more rocky look around there.
    Terrain paint also adds to the look- so, while it doesn't look too rocky while it's grass, painting it will add to the Rock look.

Terrain paint also adds to the look- so, while it doesn't look too rocky while it's grass, painting it will add to the Rock look.

Thanks again. I'm waiting to finish the sculpting before I paint it. Same reason my world is treeless
    Ah, okay. :)

I sculpt and paint areas as I go- after the general idea is laid out. I don't put trees down until it's mostly done, either. That's with the paint/sculpt touch up time.
    The first world I immediately put down a lot of trees. I've winced realized that would be a lot of work if I changed the terrain.

I think I should paint it when I'm finished with the area to get a better idea of how it is looking.

Can I show you my mountain area tomorrow and you tell me what you think? I used the mountain tool but I'm thinking of redoing with the hill thing I saw lots of people talking about because I'm not sure it looks very good.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    OMG Bon is creating a world!! :o More power to ya, I tried CAW for about a half hour before deciding I had no clue what was going on, I stink and never touching it again. :D Pics when you are done!!