Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited May 2018
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    RgYBJBO.png

If someone can explain where the layer of snow in this image is I'd be really grateful. I can't see any difference in the roof line, road, pavement; anything anywhere. Even the drain doesn't have any kind of snow cover; that should be a dead giveaway for sure (and if it was layered up in front of it then you wouldn't see it).

That's exactly why I posted that pic too. At a quick glance it looks like it has different level on certain areas but those are visual illusions.

Edit, saw you added lines, thanks! That completely removes the illusion. Is it just me or is there no actual snow on any objects either? It's just like pain brushed on.
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    RgYBJBO.png

If someone can explain where the layer of snow in this image is I'd be really grateful. I can't see any difference in the roof line, road, pavement; anything anywhere. Even the drain doesn't have any kind of snow cover; that should be a dead giveaway for sure (and if it was layered up in front of it then you wouldn't see it).

That's exactly why I posted that pic too. At a quick glance it looks like it has different level on certain areas but those are visual illusions.

Edit, saw you added lines, thanks! That completely removes the illusion. Is it just me or is there no actual snow on any objects either? It's just like pain brushed on.

The no snow on objects is even more apparent on the big house that switches through the different seasons. I'll do another demonstration for it.
    tFU6JMe.png
    Dd_XDRRUQAAodWv.jpg

This seems to be a blizzard and the snow is still very clearly flat.
    RgYBJBO.png

The no snow on objects is even more apparent on the big house that switches through the different seasons. I'll do another demonstration for it.

Great! Could you possibly do one with one of the fences that is 'covered' in snow? I'd like to see if the dept there is also an illusion, which I assume it is.
    YsC3RWK.png

Note that this is clearly very heavy snow. Whilst the snow is still completely flat some objects, such as the BIG WIDE PARASOL have no snow at all!

za57fR2.png

I can't be the only one that noticed this the first time they watched the trailer?

I'm almost certain that snow doesn't exist in this pack and that they've just recoloured/painted outdoor items to appear white; hence items which you would expect to find indoors (and some other items, such as the parasol), have not even one flake on them.

It's all visual effect. There's no actual snow. Gurus: prove me wrong, PLEASE.
    tFU6JMe.png
    We can also see the lack of depth highlighted by the fact that the placed grass foliage is the same height as it always is and that there's no snow surrounding the bottom of the bushes (which, by the way, should surely have malted their leaves by this point?).
    tFU6JMe.png
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    @Moodbeamy can't post the picture right now but when we see the ice skating ring in the trailer, there seem to be a little bit of snow on the picnic tables in the background.

I'm not sure if objects do change or not when exposed to snow
    loutredor wrote: »
    @Moodbeamy can't post the picture right now but when we see the ice skating ring in the trailer, there seem to be a little bit of snow on the picnic tables in the background.

I'm not sure if objects do change or not when exposed to snow

Again it's just a repaint. There's literally some white 'frost' splashed onto the surface of each table. They've gone to the bother of painting a white strip on top of the fencing and lanterns there too but again there are examples in that part of the trailer of items which have no snow at all.

I am 99% certain that it's all just a visual effect. I always wondered how Seasons would work with the way worlds are build in TS4 and the fact that the background in neighbourhoods is an FX backdrop. Well; now we have the answer. The whole thing is one big chunk of visual effect; not just the backdrops but playable spaces and objects. There is no snow, only visuals. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. It's at this point in the franchise that I really am prepared to walk away as I said previously. I can't justify spending money on that.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited May 2018
    kittymeow wrote: »
    I understand that a lot of you are upset about the snow but can we please be nice to eachother. Calling someone gullible because they don't see any issues is pretty nasty, especially when you yourself are talking about right of opinion.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, when I first saw the trailer I thought myself that the snow was kinds flat but I'm grateful we even have seasons and I don't even know for sure they shown the whole of winter. We have a few trailers to come yet.

This is what upsets me about the community sometimes, a lot of you are way to quick to judge and get argumentative about it which just gives a bad vibe to the whole forum. I've even seen a few players go from being so excited to being persuaded by those who are critising to agree with them. Can't you just wait a little longer to see more of the game before you jump to criticise?

It just makes me really sad and I think it's getting pretty toxic.
    The time is now to speak up not after the game is released and nothing can be done people spoke up about Get Together not having enough to do it was delayed improvements were made we even got that horrid diving platform and the don't wake the llama game out of it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I understand that a lot of you are upset about the snow but can we please be nice to eachother. Calling someone gullible because they don't see any issues is pretty nasty, especially when you yourself are talking about right of opinion.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, when I first saw the trailer I thought myself that the snow was kinds flat but I'm grateful we even have seasons and I don't even know for sure they shown the whole of winter. We have a few trailers to come yet.

This is what upsets me about the community sometimes, a lot of you are way to quick to judge and get argumentative about it which just gives a bad vibe to the whole forum. I've even seen a few players go from being so excited to being persuaded by those who are critising to agree with them. Can't you just wait a little longer to see more of the game before you jump to criticise?

The time is now to speak up not after the game is released and nothing can be done people spoke up about Get Together not having enough to do it was delayed improvements were made we even got that horrid diving platform and the don't wake the llama game out of it.

Kate has already said that it won't be delayed. The best we can hope for is that they go back and amend things later but I doubt they will; they'll make plenty from this from those that simply aren't bothered by it (which if I'm honest I think is mainly the younger and/or newer fans to the series; it seems that those of us complaining are the veterans) or who are just 'grateful' (yes, you can be asked to pay for something yet be grateful) that we finally have 'seasons' and I don't think they'll be too bothered by a few lost sales from those of us that are unhappy.

Every single time they announce something for this game there's a feature either done badly or missing altogether and every single time we're given silence, then they promote everything else about the pack, then they throw in a quiet line about how they had to omit said feature due to working on something else. Perhaps it's time EA increased the budgets for these packs then. I run the checkout lanes where I work. I manage a team of thirty people. Sometimes people are off sick whilst others are on holiday. I don't provide the customers with half an experience by making them wait twice as long or refusing to help any that need it. I don't tell them that we can only scan half of their shopping today as budget/time restraints mean that we don't have the time to serve them properly and that we have to serve other people. No; I speak to my store manager and tell him that I need more hours to spend to get people in to cover. I then get the budget I need to ensure that the job can be done properly. Perhaps it's time for the Gurus to stop blaming the accountants that set the budget (they're getting the blame for them being unable to talk about certain features now too; didn't know that accountants dealt with the product itself...) and take responsibility themselves, firstly by telling EA that they CANNOT make the pack that they know we want for the budget they've been set and that they'll need to invest more in it.I'm not happy with always being told that it's budget or time. In that case, tell them you need more, it surely can't be that hard.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Some people have quoted this image hoping to find, perhaps, some kind of depth, but unfortunately this is not the case.

As you may have noticed, the Sims leave footprints on the snow as they walk on it. These footprints have a bit of high relief.

If you notice, there are two Sims on the sidewalk, one going in the opposite direction to the other. What happens is that the male sim was walking very close to the footprints that were left by the female so, that walked in the opposite direction. This ended up creating an illusion of optics that his feet would be sunk into the snow, when in fact they are not.

And yet, if you look at the whole lot shown in the same picture, you may notice that all objects and plants are fully exposed out of the snow.

L6GVwfi.jpg

I hate that the roof doesn't even look covered in snow. Looks like a roof painted white. The snowfall is gorgeous but once it settles it's disappointing.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    @Moodbeamy thanks for adding the lines, I think I fell for an optical illusion...it really looks like a repaint on second thoughts.
  • AlwaysTheSunAlwaysTheSun Posts: 388 Member
    They should also improve light in the game. Don't really what to see them lines at night like in The Sims 3

D3DytqZ.jpg

There's a big difference.

jNrcjzm.jpg
    tYbszh0.jpg

ChadSims2 wrote: »

Kate has already said that it won't be delayed. The best we can hope for is that they go back and amend things later but I doubt they will; they'll make plenty from this from those that simply aren't bothered by it (which if I'm honest I think is mainly the younger and/or newer fans to the series; it seems that those of us complaining are the veterans) or who are just 'grateful' (yes, you can be asked to pay for something yet be grateful) that we finally have 'seasons' and I don't think they'll be too bothered by a few lost sales from those of us that are unhappy.

Every single time they announce something for this game there's a feature either done badly or missing altogether and every single time we're given silence, then they promote everything else about the pack, then they throw in a quiet line about how they had to omit said feature due to working on something else. Perhaps it's time EA increased the budgets for these packs then. I run the checkout lanes where I work. I manage a team of thirty people. Sometimes people are off sick whilst others are on holiday. I don't provide the customers with half an experience by making them wait twice as long or refusing to help any that need it. I don't tell them that we can only scan half of their shopping today as budget/time restraints mean that we don't have the time to serve them properly and that we have to serve other people. No; I speak to my store manager and tell him that I need more hours to spend to get people in to cover. I then get the budget I need to ensure that the job can be done properly. Perhaps it's time for the Gurus to stop blaming the accountants that set the budget (they're getting the blame for them being unable to talk about certain features now too; didn't know that accountants dealt with the product itself...) and take responsibility themselves, firstly by telling EA that they CANNOT make the pack that they know we want for the budget they've been set and that they'll need to invest more in it.I'm not happy with always being told that it's budget or time. In that case, tell them you need more, it surely can't be that hard.

The thing is what are they doing with the resources? Is everything so difficult to do with this engine because I doubt they have less than they had for sims 3

Yet I can list you the object in every sims 4 pack and every interaction and when compared to what is in a similar sims 3 pack you see how much the content dropped. I did it with just the objects in sims 3 and sims 4's first seasons trailer and sims 3 nearly had double that not to mention one of the objects in sims 4 list is the swing which isn't impressive.
    They should also improve light in the game. Don't really what to see them lines at night like in The Sims 3

D3DytqZ.jpg

There's a big difference.

jNrcjzm.jpg
    tYbszh0.jpg

From what I've seen I haven't even seen those lines in sims 4. Gosh those pictures make me want to play sims 3 soo badly but I'm building my world and I want to play in that XD

It's sad. You can see the snow piled up where it meets the roof. I loved seasons in 3 because it was so beautiful. When it is heavy snow it's heavy on everything. I'm sorry but so far I haven't seen anything in sims 4 season that makes up for the lack of winter.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    The snowy aspect on the roof is simply very different from The Sims 3 to the 4. It's surreal.
    tenor.gif
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I am looking forward to this pack it looks good. Taking in to consideration that TS4 was going to be a Online game I think that nabe done a sterling job with a limited engine the Engel was a downgrade graphics wise and this was a Management decision remember they had to work with what was an online framework retro engineer that for a single player game and then they are working with a limited engender so everybody could play the game ofcouse there will be concessions on the sunbject of TS5 I think they have learnt now what works what doesn’t and what we as fans want so TS5 May well be the best sims of all time.
  • pixelreypixelrey Posts: 3 New Member
    Sim Guru Grant tweeted that the sims 2, 3, and 4 used the same program to create the weather so there should be snow depth!! Not just some lazy terrain or roof paint!
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    pixelrey wrote: »
    Sim Guru Grant tweeted that the sims 2, 3, and 4 used the same program to create the weather so there should be snow depth!! Not just some lazy terrain or roof paint!

I can't find this tweet, would you mind sharing it? @pixelrey
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm thinking the reason the gurus haven't said anything about snow accumulation isn't because they don't have it, but because they literally cannot say a word about it, I don't think they're allowed to say anything until an official blog post all about Winter is released, and then we'll see whether there's snow accumulation or not.

I reckon because of the controversy surrounding snow, the gurus desperately want to reassure us that there is accumulation (if there is) but cannot, because if they spoil any information that will be discussed and/or revealed in the blog post then their jobs would be at risk - and unfortunately snow in general just might be one of those things.

Despite all evidence we have thus far pointing at now accumulation, I'm still going to hold hope and wait until they are allowed to officially say something.
    I'm thinking the reason the gurus haven't said anything about snow accumulation isn't because they don't have it, but because they literally cannot say a word about it, I don't think they're allowed to say anything until an official blog post all about Winter is released, and then we'll see whether there's snow accumulation or not.

I reckon because of the controversy surrounding snow, the gurus desperately want to reassure us that there is accumulation (if there is) but cannot, because if they spoil any information that will be discussed and/or revealed in the blog post then their jobs would be at risk - and unfortunately snow in general just might be one of those things.

Despite all evidence we have thus far pointing at now accumulation, I'm still going to hold hope and wait until they are allowed to officially say something.

I get holding hope but the pictures on the last page paint a pretty bad picture. Even with minimum snow there should be a difference in depth but there isn't. None of the white stuff is laying on top of anything, the objects and everything else seem to be recolored not to mention the objects with no snow on them.

Then there is that storm picture I posted where the snow is still flat.
  • NeverSeemsToEndNeverSeemsToEnd Posts: 292 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Low snow accumulation but we get allot of gameplay objects, seasons, weather, a Botany career, more holidays and the ability to make our own, tbh I'm okay with that, at least this time I can't lose stuff in the snow lol

Not being rude at all but what are the many objects everyone keeps talking about?

Ice skating rink
    Rollerblading rink
    Splash pool
    Sprinkler
    Swing
    Scarecrow
    Tree to decorate
    Weather machine.

These are all the objects they've shown with new gameplay. Is that a lot for sims 4?.

I wonder if we'll still have that stupid timer. Oh no! Better end your new year party, only 10 minutes left. XD
    That's honestly my most hated feature.

You forgot to mention the bee thing, and the flower arragement table. Lots of new gameplay there. :smile:
    Origin ID: NeverSeemsToEnd
  • pixelreypixelrey Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="the_greenplumbob;c-16497715"][quote="pixelrey;c-16497700"]Sim Guru Grant tweeted that the sims 2, 3, and 4 used the same program to create the weather so there should be snow depth!! Not just some lazy terrain or roof paint! [/quote]

I can't find this tweet, would you mind sharing it? @pixelrey [/quote]

@the_greenplumbob I can’t post links but here it is just remove the brackets

twitter(.)com/simgurugrant/status/999697876652511232?s=21
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

He is talking about the Weather Machine not the weather engine/program to create the weather.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member

I think he's speaking about the the object not the weather itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top