March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons: Snow Depth and Accumulation?

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I would just feel cheated if they include thick snow in another game pack - in seasons I expect thick snow to be present, we shouldn't have to buy another pack to complete the experience.

Which is totally understandable. I doubt that will be the case though. Or well, I hope so :/

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I doubt they are hiding deep snow. Why would sims be able to make snow angels and snow men on flat snow then? Why would there be awkward lumps of snow to shovel on perfectly flat snow.

Look at all the stuff this game still doesn't have. Simple stuff that is problematic to add. We have waited nearly 4 years to get swings. I don't think they'll make amazing snow and hide it and then not want to talk about it.

At very least they could've responded with no the snow isn't flat.

Who knows, they say there are blizzards.

Perhaps because they don't want to make this only available in some worlds, and deep snow won't be in all worlds ?

In which will it be then? It'll have to be in new crest or the other bg world or they'll have a lot of angry people.

If they went the "different climate for each world" route, I think San Myshuno, Granite Falls, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay could fit. Oasis Spring and Selvadorada are definitely out. Newcrest, Magnolia Promenade and Willow Creek share a similar theme and have palm trees so they would be a strech I think.

But that would mean to have the full functionality of the pack you'd need another ep
    That's mean for a full seasons experience you need to spend $80

That's as bad as MFP stuff finishing the set in the pets EP.

We also saw show in wunderburg and it was flat. You'd think they'd show it off in that pic.
    loutredor wrote: »
    You know, I wander if maybe they didn't decide to do flat snow in order to be able to make footprints.
    Making footprints in 3D snow might be way more complicated. Were there footprints in TS2 and TS3? I can't remember x'D

There definitely was footprints in sims 3 snow.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I doubt they are hiding deep snow. Why would sims be able to make snow angels and snow men on flat snow then? Why would there be awkward lumps of snow to shovel on perfectly flat snow.

Look at all the stuff this game still doesn't have. Simple stuff that is problematic to add. We have waited nearly 4 years to get swings. I don't think they'll make amazing snow and hide it and then not want to talk about it.

Perhaps because they don't want to make this only available in some worlds, and deep snow won't be in all worlds ?

In which will it be then? It'll have to be in new crest or the other bg world or they'll have a lot of angry people.

If they went the "different climate for each world" route, I think San Myshuno, Granite Falls, Windenburg and Brindleton Bay could fit. Oasis Spring and Selvadorada are definitely out. Newcrest, Magnolia Promenade and Willow Creek share a similar theme and have palm trees so they would be a strech I think.

But that would mean to have the full functionality of the pack you'd need another ep

We also saw show in wunderburg and it was flat. You'd think they'd show it off in that pic.

Not if that's something they have a trailer planned for.

But again. Why are sims able to build snow men and make snow angels in flat snow if there is deeper snow?
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    You know, I wander if maybe they didn't decide to do flat snow in order to be able to make footprints.
    Making footprints in 3D snow might be way more complicated. Were there footprints in TS2 and TS3? I can't remember x'D

There definitely was footprints in sims 3 snow.

Oh ok, forget it then! :D No excuse for them!
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

But again. Why are sims able to build snow men and make snow angels in flat snow if there is deeper snow?

Why not ? It's not like they have to make it only available in deep snow.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    You know, I wander if maybe they decided to do flat snow in order to be able to make footprints.
    3257436_orig.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • SimplyobsessedSimplyobsessed Posts: 315 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'll be disappointed now if they don't improve snow, especially with the gurus saying "We can't talk about snow right now!". If the only reason they wont talk about it is only because they know it is a disappointing area of the pack they don't want to draw attention to I will be disappointed. I'm hoping they are working on an improvement and that is why they can't talk about it.

Why not ? It's not like they have to make it only available in deep snow.

Because it looks so out of place. And if there is deep snow I'd think it's something that you'll travel to those town to and enjoy there. Rather have that than awkward lumps of snow on white terrain paint.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'll be disappointed now if they don't improve snow, especially with the gurus saying "We can't talk about snow right now!". If the only reason they wont talk about it is only because they know it is a disappointing area of the pack they don't want to draw attention to I will be disappointed. I'm hoping they are working on an improvement and that is why they can't talk about it.

I hope so. I don't want to be disappointed again with this game. I want to be happy now, but there's always something to put me in a bad mood. Always compromise. Raah, I'm really angry about that!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Bleepbloop wrote: »

If you are so fixated on the APPEARANCE OF THE DEPTH OF THE SNOW, I honestly feel sorry for you. Maybe you only feel empowered when you’re criticizing others, or making demands. The least you could do is wait until you’ve actually PLAYED THE GAME to decide it doesn’t live up to your astronomical standards and expectations.
    I've been playing the Sims for years, I love this franchise.

And I have defended Sims 4 from unfair criticisms, I thoroughly enjoy playing it - criticism is different to denigration. Criticism can be unfair but sincere criticism comes from a place of love - I love the Sims franchise and I want TS4 to be a fantastic Sims game. I'm sure the OP and others see it the same way.
    It seems there is some form of snow? Look at the difference between the lines between summer and winter. Or in the very least I guess some of the white paint covered the edge of the sidewalk

eZXtXAF.png
    It seems there is some form of snow? Look at the difference between the lines between summer and winter. Or in the very least I guess some of the white paint covered the edge of the sidewalk

eZXtXAF.png

tHo9ZPc.jpg
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    edited May 2018

eZXtXAF.png

yup I'm seeing a difference.

EDIT: /actually nope.
    Post edited by Jouvay on
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Jouvay wrote: »

eZXtXAF.png

Where?
    tFU6JMe.png
    edited May 2018
    Moodbeamy wrote: »

eZXtXAF.png

Where?

Personally I see a slight difference on the sidewalk in the foreground.
    But it might just be an optical effect because there is snow on the road that is just as white as the sidewalk, as can be seen on the other side of the road.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    I understand that a lot of you are upset about the snow but can we please be nice to eachother. Calling someone gullible because they don't see any issues is pretty nasty, especially when you yourself are talking about right of opinion.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, when I first saw the trailer I thought myself that the snow was kinds flat but I'm grateful we even have seasons and I don't even know for sure they shown the whole of winter. We have a few trailers to come yet.

This is what upsets me about the community sometimes, a lot of you are way to quick to judge and get argumentative about it which just gives a bad vibe to the whole forum. I've even seen a few players go from being so excited to being persuaded by those who are critising to agree with them. Can't you just wait a little longer to see more of the game before you jump to criticise?

It just makes me really sad and I think it's getting pretty toxic.

eZXtXAF.png

Where?

But it might just be an optical effect because there is snow on the road that is just as white as the sidewalk, as can be seen on the other side of the road.

Same but I was thinking the very top of the side of the sidewalk might be painted and that's why it looks like that. Because if there was any depth logically the left side would look higher not lower than the right.

eZXtXAF.png

Where?

Same but I was thinking the very top of the side of the sidewalk might be painted and that's why it looks like that. Because if there was any depth logically the left side would look higher not lower than the right.

Ah right. But I was talking about the sidewalk at the very front, on which the sim is walking. It seems slightly higher. But I think it is because the snow of the sidewalk blends in with the snow of the road so it's hard to say what is sidewalk and what is not.

eZXtXAF.png

Where?

Ah right. But I was talking about the sidewalk at the very front, on which the sim is walking. It seems slightly higher. But I think it is because the snow of the sidewalk blends in with the snow of the road so it's hard to say what is sidewalk and what is not.

Ahh. Just zoomed in and it is another visual effect caused by the small grey area at the end of the side walk. Whne that is next to the all white sidewalk it causes the other one to appear higher because the grey sidewalk piece blends in with the road.

As of right now there clearly is no depth.It isn't even a layer on top of the ground.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    Well maybe it's not quite done yet? Maybe they made the video a while ago and they've since added depth? 'Cos I gotta admit, I'm dead excited about this EP but I noticed the lack of depth for the snow as well. I'm hoping it'll be there when it's launched.

I'm hoping that what we saw from the trailers were an earlier build. I don't know how long trailers take to make, but I'm assuming they must have began sorting out their marketing around January (planning / story boards in January, filming all the shots for the trailer in February, editing them in March, finalising everything in April etc.). Perhaps what we saw the other day (that house in Windenburg) is actually light snow, seeing as it's not actually snowing).

I mean - I'm not a producer, so I don't know how these things work, but it seems plausible...

I did see something that no, there is no snow depth. But tptb have heard our complaints so maybe they'll fix it? Like remember that ball pit from toddlers? Everyone complained about that and they fixed it....I mean how hard is it to make snow depth?
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
    Well maybe it's not quite done yet? Maybe they made the video a while ago and they've since added depth? 'Cos I gotta admit, I'm dead excited about this EP but I noticed the lack of depth for the snow as well. I'm hoping it'll be there when it's launched.

I'm hoping that what we saw from the trailers were an earlier build. I don't know how long trailers take to make, but I'm assuming they must have began sorting out their marketing around January (planning / story boards in January, filming all the shots for the trailer in February, editing them in March, finalising everything in April etc.). Perhaps what we saw the other day (that house in Windenburg) is actually light snow, seeing as it's not actually snowing).

I mean - I'm not a producer, so I don't know how these things work, but it seems plausible...

I did see something that no, there is no snow depth. But tptb have heard our complaints so maybe they'll fix it? Like remember that ball pit from toddlers? Everyone complained about that and they fixed it....I mean how hard is it to make snow depth?

If we're correct and the snow doesn't actually exist and is just a recolour of the existing environment and objects (as it would appear to be; note that in several images none of the outdoor items, including the street lights, actually have any snow at all) to create the illusion of snow (ie, it LOOKS like it's snow) then I would expect very difficult as that means that it's a feature that they haven't actually added to the game.

If we're wrong and there is snow it's just that they've chosen to give it a 'one pixel' layer... then I would assume it would still be difficult but no one near as impossible as the first option.
    tFU6JMe.png
    RgYBJBO.png

If someone can explain where the layer of snow in this image is I'd be really grateful. I can't see any difference in the roof line, road, pavement; anything anywhere. Even the drain doesn't have any kind of snow cover; that should be a dead giveaway for sure (and if it was layered up in front of it then you wouldn't see it).
    tFU6JMe.png
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    In The Sims 5, winter won't have snow. But there will be people saying that we have to be grateful for at least the seasons have arrived. And they will justify themselves saying that at least maybe there are "many other interactions" to compensate for the lack of snow.

I do not want to reproach people who follow this line of thought, but it is my right to think it is ridiculous. That worries me.

I am convinced that we do not need to wait too long to draw conclusions. By the time The Sims 4 City Living was announced, people immediately began to imagine that the elevators would have no interactions and that we could not build our own custom buildings and apartments, and in the end, they were right from the start. :D
    tenor.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top