Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Moving Lots between layers

At the number of lots, spawners, objects etc grows, finding them in each layer is getting harder and harder to do. I'm thinking or redoing the layers by neighbourhood instead of type. I created a layer for "Downtown" but I can't find a way to move the downtown lots into it. I never remember to activate the spawner layer and I end up moving them afterwards without a problem. I can't seem to do this with lots though. Anybody know how to do so. I tried to Google it, but I found too many general references about lots and layer and whether they should be grouped together or in neighbourhoods, but nothing about moving them, unless it is buried in the rest.

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Hello,

I use the layers differently to you so I have a separate layer for each "category", all my lots for example go into the lots layer and all my trees and plants go into another layer. Like you I occasionally forget to activate the correct layer but have never had a problem moving anything, by dragging and dropping, between layers. This includes lots. I have never worried about where an object or tree is in the world because of a nifty little function called Find in Render.

As I have quite a few lots now and use the layer system to group them all together in one place I find it essential to name a lot as soon as I have created it.

Hope this helps.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I've been grouping all my lots together up till now. The Spawners are in a another layer all together. It's getting daunting however, to be able to find things. That's why I'm planning on switching to a neighbourhood layer plan. Then everything in that area will be together and hopefully easier to manage with many more layers. As I understand it, layers have no effect on game play (except the grouping of trees which should be in one layer) I'm also getting used to naming all my lots and giving them addresses (I still need more street names etc. I'm using names from Aldous Huxley's book 'Island' for inspiration. It's been a while since I've read it. I guess I'll have to read it again. I'm also naming all my spawners based on location and type.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi :)

Just click on the lot and drag it down or up to the layer you want it (in the World Layers panel). If the lot is empty (no building) make the new layer active, delete the lot then hit undo to add the lot the active layer.

There's a search function (filter) and if you keep lot in the name, it will list all the lots.

You can have have layers in layers- I sometimes do a layer called Lots and it has two layers, one for Community lots and one for Residential lots.

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited June 2018
    Something else, since you say you have a hard time finding things.

If you want to find it in your Layer Panel- click on the object and hit the space bar. It will bring up the option- Find in World Layers Panel. Click on it and it will bring it up in the panel.
    2Ckm8Fj.png

If you want to find something listed in the Layers Panel- *right click on it and there is the option to - find in Render Panel; click on it.
    I76MQ6L.png

You can drag layers into other layers or separate them by dragging them. To take a layer out of another layer- as you can see I have 2 different layers in my lots layer- just click and drag one up to the very top- the world layer (has the world name on it if you named it). :)
    6nEni2Y.png
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I think I've just changed how to organize things. I like those sub-layers. I can create one for each neighbourhood and organize it that way. Thanks. A LOT.
    If you want to find it in your Layer Panel- click on the object and hit the space bar. It will bring up the option- Find in World Layers Panel. Click on it and it will bring it up in the panel.

I'd found "Find in Render Panel" but this will be useful. Thanks again.