Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is the snow so flat? :(

Comments

• Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Did anyone else see that the snow has no depth to it? I wonder why they could do it in TS3 but not now.

Most likely it hasn't been polished yet or that isn't the deepest we'll see.

I hope!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    4SglDEJ.jpg

Sims 3; heavy snow (at night) to almost melted. It's got depth.

Also you cannot make snowangels or snowmen if the snow is not heavy enough in TS3!
    I was thinking maybe we only saw light snow in the trailer, but it could still be heavier at times, only they did not show it. But then why would they show the snowangel being made in light snow? It's awkward!
  • Options
    Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    Sonia016 wrote: »
    I can't deny the snow looks so artificial, nothing natural at all but I also doubt they will do anything about it, this game is coming in a month time.

Ugh I’m happy with the rest of the pack, I just wish they’d taken a couple more months to figure out the snow depth somehow.
    Whatever, it’s still a day one purchase for me! :lol:

because we couldn't wait... can we? I thought this will be a november thing too and guess what now, they must've feel obliged to give us something good after months of silent treatment. ;)

The Sims Game
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I hope they add snow depth in a later update, it's the big one disappointment of the pack so far.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    Tbh if TS2 managed to do better, why the hell can't TS4? Idc about the whole saving specs or w.e it's an excuse at this rate for TS4 to skip out on details.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    The denial of simmers on this topic is mind boggling. You can clearly see the texture is as flat as it can be, with some slight shading on top.
    Look, I want to love every part of the game too, and it plums that we have deal with disappointment, but just because I can see this particular flaw doesn't mean I don't love the game or that I don't like the other things we're getting with this pack. But yeah, it's really disappointing, and I'm not even surprised. There are certain things that cannot be done with Sims 4 that could be done with 2 and 3. We know that.

If you're a simmers that doesn't care about snow depth, then good for you, enjoy. But for alot of simmers this is a real concern, especially since alot of us have been waiting for seasons for years now. I'd rather have waited another 6 months to get the complete experience of snow, instead of a clearly flat white painted texture.

I dunno, maybe they panicked when simmers started to worry about the future of sims and they decided to release the pack early, it's hard to tell. Either way, it's clear they could have done better.

These releases are planned months in advance; they're not done on a whim because people are upset. If the snow DOES lack depth (I'm hoping to be proven otherwise but having just discovered that another thread on the matter was deleted I'm not holding out much hope) then it's because they either can't do it or won't do it. It's not because they've rushed the pack out to silence people.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Look at the man shovelling snow. THe snow just... appears on his shovel. He doesn't take it from anywhere. The snow angel lady is just creating a texture. The people are simply standing on white. There is no depth or any footprints.

There is no snow. There is only white, and things reskinned as powdered with white. And while this works on a superficial level, it demonstrates that either the engine, or the pack budget, didn't allow for it and ultimately shows a failure on a technical level.
    The thing that really upsets me is that someone made a mod called "First Snow" in 2015 and it looked really cool for a mod (even had snow textures on benches etc), but I was hoping the actual Season EP would be better because it's from a big company and paying attention to snow seems like an important thing in a pack that focuses on weather. But here we are. It looks just like the mod from 2015.
    Example pictures from the mod I found on Google:

imgingest-8237257518272581325.jpg
    the-sims-4-first-snow-mod-screenshot.jpg
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    We are complaining about an EP that isn’t out yet why should I be surprised and I see nothing wrong with the snow. You guys are way to critical about things and things that aren’t even out yet.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2018
    We are complaining about an EP that isn’t out yet why should I be surprised and I see nothing wrong with the snow. You guys are way to critical about things and things that aren’t even out yet.

^^^^^

If anything they'll fix it in a pack. You guys whine about everything and anything.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif
  • Options
    It's not whining. Lots of people have said the pack looks good, the game play we have seen looks fun etc but the snow looks terrible. The sim making the snow angel from a glance at a screen shot just looks like she's lying down as you can't see the snow angel in the snow.

That is poor. People have the right to call that out. As long as it's done respectfully then people are entitled to say it. If it weren't for people giving feedback the ball pit would still look like a Google image stuck on the top. Feedback is good for this game as it is for all games.

I will be forever haunted by the thumbnail for LGR's review of that pack. :D
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm just worried that the weather won't be gradual like in sims 3. Sims 3 did a wonderful job with the various effects, like glass windows frosting and fogging over in the cold etc. And rain would slowly pick up, not start out as a thunderstorm right away. Snowfall also started out light.

Edit: Saw a screenshot and there IS frosted glass at least! yay! Loved that touch in sims 3.

Weather isn't always gradual. I live in SW England and it can go from bright and sunny to overcast and pouring down in minutes.

Yeah not always, but in sims 2 nothing was gradual. The sun would randomly disappear and it'd be dark etc.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm just worried that the weather won't be gradual like in sims 3. Sims 3 did a wonderful job with the various effects, like glass windows frosting and fogging over in the cold etc. And rain would slowly pick up, not start out as a thunderstorm right away. Snowfall also started out light.

Edit: Saw a screenshot and there IS frosted glass at least! yay! Loved that touch in sims 3.

Weather isn't always gradual. I live in SW England and it can go from bright and sunny to overcast and pouring down in minutes.

Yeah not always, but in sims 2 nothing was gradual. The sun would randomly disappear and it'd be dark etc.
    The Sims 2 also had dimensional time where you'd be having a snowstorm while the lot next door was in high summer because you hadn't advanced the time there.
  • Options
    MeskenasBoiiMeskenasBoii Posts: 39 Member
    Flat earthers be like:

If the world is round....
  • Options
    > @pepperjax1230 said:
    > We are complaining about an EP that isn’t out yet why should I be surprised and I see nothing wrong with the snow. You guys are way to critical about things and things that aren’t even out yet.

Regarding The Sims 4 trailers, most if not all trailers of future DLC shows pretty much there's everything to it. If there showing, VERY LIKELY, like seriously I would bet 90% that snow accumalation isn't shown for the purpose as the company wanna hide the absents of such neat mechanic. If they had shown it in TS2 and TS3 trailer, why wouldn't they not include it in TS4 one too? Also, adding onto the fact that there aren't many objects place outside could be a subtle unnintentional innuendo that suggests half of object catalogs won't get covered in snow when exposed to the precipitations of winter wonderland.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I wonder if the snow is gonna form slowly like The Sims 3 or is it gonna jump into stage one then stage three like the sims 2
  • Options
    Not to mention there is a scene where a ground parasol during winter/snow placed outside, which doesn't even have frost on it. NOW that's very suggestive that snow buildup is a pie in the cake and can be anticipated that we aren't getting it in this expansion pack.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It's not whining. Lots of people have said the pack looks good, the game play we have seen looks fun etc but the snow looks terrible. The sim making the snow angel from a glance at a screen shot just looks like she's lying down as you can't see the snow angel in the snow.

That is poor. People have the right to call that out. As long as it's done respectfully then people are entitled to say it. If it weren't for people giving feedback the ball pit would still look like a Google image stuck on the top. Feedback is good for this game as it is for all games.

I honestly can't see how making a snow angel is going to add to my game play. Just like watching the stars or clouds doesn't.

UNTIL they actually do something about the sims themselves, this game is a wash. Everything is fluff and there's no reason to play it.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited May 2018
    "I wonder if the snow is gonna form slowly like The Sims 3 or is it gonna jump into stage one then stage three like the sims 2 "

Just be glad it (hopefully) wont be a load screen, They will probably add depth in a "My First Snow Pack" add on
  • Options
    Not to mention there is a scene where a ground parasol during winter/snow placed outside, which doesn't even have frost on it. NOW that's very suggestive that snow buildup is a pie in the cake and can be anticipated that we aren't getting it in this expansion pack.

Actually if you pause the trailer on the first scene of snow (right as the logo conveniently blocks the view of everything) and have a good look you can see that there's not really snow on anything. The lampposts, hanging baskets, fences, chairs, bins, outdoor decorations... NOTHING has snow on it. It screams to me that not only is the snow on the roofs and ground just a paint job... there isn't any actual snow AT ALL, never mind depth.
    tFU6JMe.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top