The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's this error file?

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
xcpt DESKTOP-BFV2SAH 18-05-22 13.57.42.mdmp
xcpt DESKTOP-BFV2SAH 18-05-22 13.57.42

Whenever the game stops working, I get these error files. I don't know what is meaning of these files.
Is there anyone knows about this? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Game stops working is a game crash. Maybe @igazor knows what those mean

What world are you playing? Some worlds are messed up. I get "Game Stops Working"when I have been in build/buy mode too long and the game runs out of memory. I also sometimes get this if it snows heavy . Are you saving frequently. if you don't save frequently, the game may run out of memory and crash or won't be able to save
  • Options
    Game stops working is a game crash. Maybe @igazor knows what those mean

What world are you playing? Some worlds are messed up. I get "Game Stops Working"when I have been in build/buy mode too long and the game runs out of memory. I also sometimes get this if it snows heavy . Are you saving frequently. if you don't save frequently, the game may run out of memory and crash or won't be able to save

Oh I've been holding a party all through the night. Yes I usually save my game 3 to 4 times a sim day. Just before getting this error, I didn't get any message. The game quit itself automatically. But I'm sure my computer spec is enough to run all expansion packs. I'm playing in Isla Paradiso edited version so I don't have any lagging in game. I reloaded the game and the bonfire party is finished at noon. My other sim already went to rescue sims in the ocean as a lifeguard and the party was still going on..at home.

• Options
    If the game stops working, it's a crash and you won't get notice. I have not done a bonfire or am I playing IP. I'm not sure if you have game corruption or there is an issue with the bon fire or Ip. @igazor may know and will chime in when he comes on the forum. There maybe a mod to fix this?
  • Options
    If the game stops working, it's a crash and you won't get notice. I have not done a bonfire or am I playing IP. I'm not sure if you have game corruption or there is an issue with the bon fire or Ip. @igazor may know and will chime in when he comes on the forum. There maybe a mod to fix this?
    Thank you so much.:)

• Options
    Your very welcome :)
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Whenever the game crashes, whether it be silently or with lots of on-screen messages about TS3 has stopped working, you will get two xcpt files -- a crash log and a memory dump. That's what the two files mentioned in the OP are. You can just delete those. Usually upon analyzing them, like 99% of the time, the only thing they tell us is that the game crashed (which by then we would have already known).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited May 2018
    Are you playing on a Mac now? I can't remember. The Mac version of the game has a much smaller ram limit compared to Windows. How long had the game been running before crashing?

Sometimes, the game will crash on me around the 5+ hour mark if I have it running that long. That's just the game hitting its ram limit. I reduced the amount of CC/mods I had installed and that helped in my experience. Note: I had 5GB of third-party content installed before reducing it down to just below 1GB. Rarely will it crash soon after launch on me... but if you pop in and out of CAS a lot like me, that alone will eat up ram usage.

Saving often is a good habit to make of course but it's not going to clear ram usage. The best method for clearing ram is to simply quit and then launch again. Annoying maybe but if you're going to play for a few hours, it might prevent some crashing. If you're crashing often, there might be a reason why. Otherwise, this game is not perfect and will crash every now and then but constantly crashing is not normal.

If you're using the Origin version of the game on Windows, there is a Crash Log Analyzer but it's not going to always be able to analyze things. There are two versions, patch 1.67 and blew + patch 1.69. These can be found on MTS but will only work for the Origin version of the game on Windows I believe.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Was pretty sure the OP was running the Windows version of the game.

I've never really understood the affection so many players have for the Crash Log Analyzers. I mean, I understand the intent, but for the most part with some few exceptions, the correct version of CLA for one's patch level (1.67 vs. 1.69) essentially tells us things like "you have custom content," and "your system was out of usable resources" (either RAM or video memory). Or just "your game crashed." Not in so many words, but I've been led to believe that they rarely reveal more information than that.

Maybe I've been missing something?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Oh, I've only used it once or twice myself years ago but if the OP wanted at least some kind of reading out of it :/ *shrugs*

The reason I asked about Mac is that I remember reading they ended up giving up their PC laptop to a family member and got a Mac after that... but I could be remembering wrong.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    What I should have said was, I believe they are running the Windows version of the game on Mac hardware through Bootcamp, same as all of us cool kids do I am. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @SimplyJen

igzor is right. My computer is I mac but I'm running the sims 3 on windows 10, bootcamp. Usually, I'm not in the circumstance that playing the sims 3 over 5 hours continuously. Whenever I have to do some work, I definitely turn the game off even 10 mins away for giving some time to let my computer get rest for a while. My DCCache is around 1 GB, almost store item, and Mods folder is 150 MBs. Usually, I play for 2 hrs in one go. But this time, it happened when I played only 5 mins in real time and 10 hrs in sim time. (just sleeping during the night). I always save my game just before my sims go sleep at night. Yesterday, the game crashed while loading to main menu from the beginning. It showed me the screen is grayed out with no message. I waited for about 10 mins, and then I had to force quit. I think I need to do factory resetting maybe..

@igazor Thanks for the exact answer. I wanted to know what the files mean. :)
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    I'm running mine on Windows 7 on Bootcamp, and it's an older Mac, but I rarely get crashes.
    I do have a ton of The Sims 3 folders, I keep them separate - basically I have one folder for each world I play. (Plus one for testing, and one that has the entire Store installed for when I need missing stencils.)

For me what causes these unexpected crashes are things like going in and out of CAS a lot, or doing a lot of things in a row (what I like to call "rampant mouse clicking"), especially when I'm building and I'm impatiently placing a ton of items without waiting for the game to catch up... Like you I've tried to make sense of crash logs, but generally it just tells me there was a 'catastrophic failure' of some sort, which is not helpful.

If you crash on loadup, though, it could be that something got corrupted. A factory reset may help.
    I generally make a new The Sims 3 folder, put in my Mods folder, the options.ini from my old game, and a small text file called FeaturedItems to to stop the game generating that irritating FeaturedItems folder.
    And then I let the game generate the rest when I start the Launcher to reinstall my Sims3Pack items. Nine out of ten times I can then start up my old Save without crashes.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    KarinL wrote: »
    I'm running mine on Windows 7 on Bootcamp, and it's an older Mac, but I rarely get crashes.
    I do have a ton of The Sims 3 folders, I keep them separate - basically I have one folder for each world I play. (Plus one for testing, and one that has the entire Store installed for when I need missing stencils.)

For me what causes these unexpected crashes are things like going in and out of CAS a lot, or doing a lot of things in a row (what I like to call "rampant mouse clicking"), especially when I'm building and I'm impatiently placing a ton of items without waiting for the game to catch up... Like you I've tried to make sense of crash logs, but generally it just tells me there was a 'catastrophic failure' of some sort, which is not helpful.

If you crash on loadup, though, it could be that something got corrupted. A factory reset may help.
    I generally make a new The Sims 3 folder, put in my Mods folder, the options.ini from my old game, and a small text file called FeaturedItems to to stop the game generating that irritating FeaturedItems folder.
    And then I let the game generate the rest when I start the Launcher to reinstall my Sims3Pack items. Nine out of ten times I can then start up my old Save without crashes.

I feel it depends on computer. I rarely got this with my old version of I mac bootcamp windows 8. And the..graphics card was Geforce Gtx 680MX which is fully supported one. Now I have Radeon Pro 560. The graphics of shadow is all broken in screen. I think it also might be from unsupported graphics card. Yes I can try the factory reset. :)

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Here's what I do. Before I begin to play and start up the game, I clean my RAM to insure I always have enough RAM available to play. I clean out my cache files (doesn't matter if you play in Windows or the Mac OS) to insure that corruption is kept at a minimum. I've been doing this since I always had to do this when playing Sims 2. I play with all the worlds modified by Ella Charmed from MTS. (I use her profile to find her blog and download the worlds from there). I don't have much 3rd party content, but I do have lots of Sims 3 Store content, but that rarely causes the game to crash.

I play on the Mac side, but then I have a desktop 2012 27" iMac.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Here's what I do. Before I begin to play and start up the game, I clean my RAM to insure I always have enough RAM available to play. I clean out my cache files (doesn't matter if you play in Windows or the Mac OS) to insure that corruption is kept at a minimum. I've been doing this since I always had to do this when playing Sims 2. I play with all the worlds modified by Ella Charmed from MTS. (I use her profile to find her blog and download the worlds from there). I don't have much 3rd party content, but I do have lots of Sims 3 Store content, but that rarely causes the game to crash.

I play on the Mac side, but then I have a desktop 2012 27" iMac.

Cleaning caches are what I've been doing always. On mac side, my game is always force quit since 5 mins play with all expansion packs and no cc and mods. I don't have force quitting with only base game installed. I'd like to know how to play the sims 3 without force quitting on mac. Looks like you have the same I mac I had last year. Mine was 27" i mac, i7 3770, 3.4 GHz boost up to 3.8. 32GB rams, Geforce GTX 680 MX. I had rare force quitting with this on windows bootcamp because this one caused force quitting with all EPs on mac side too. But now I'm having Radeon Pro 560 4GB Rams but all shadow in game is broken and white objects happening with this new graphics card. I found this radeon card is not supported in the sims 3. Geforce GTX 680MX is fully supported one. I regret that I got this new i mac.

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Jeansoo I have a new macbook pro with the exact same AMD card as you, but I haven't had any issues with graphics in my game. (I did get the message about the card being unsupported but didn't need to edit the .sgr files or anything.) I played on the mac side for a few months before recently Bootcamping (for the express purpose of getting out from under Cider's onerous limit), and I've very happy with my card's performance on both sides of the partition. I know each computer performs a little differently; one simmer's experience might not be replicated for another. Still, if you want to compare graphics settings, I'd be happy to do so.
  • Options
    I haven't Bootcamped my Mac, but I do run Parallels. I don't have an updated version of Windows (still run Windows XP). I've tried to run Sims 3 on the Windows side, but the game never starts up for me. Oh, I have it installed in Origin, but it always fails to start up. May have to troubleshoot it if Apple changes things.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @puzzlezaddict

2.png

3.PNG

You don't really have this issue? I had the same issue with HD Radeon 5700 Series before. Yes it uses more than 2 GBs memory with all expansion packs, even without any cc and mods, it just shows me desktop background without any notice or message on mac side. I had no problem to run the sims 3 Base game only on mac side but I really love many expansion packs. I didn't have this issue with Geforce graphics card. I firstly started the sims 3 with radeon card on mac. I had the same issue with that radeon card, after that, I purchased radeon 5460, and I got the same issue, after that, I got radeon 5700, and it was the same. After using Geforce card, I heard Radeon card shows great performance, so that's why I got this radeon pro 560 but still have the same issue.
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
  • Options
    I haven't Bootcamped my Mac, but I do run Parallels. I don't have an updated version of Windows (still run Windows XP). I've tried to run Sims 3 on the Windows side, but the game never starts up for me. Oh, I have it installed in Origin, but it always fails to start up. May have to troubleshoot it if Apple changes things.

Can I ask how many EPs and SPs are installed in your game? It's really mysterious that I had 3 macs, 2 were imac and the rest one was mac book pro and all of these gave me force quitting. I can hear it runs very well on some others' mac but I haven't heard how many packs they are running. I tried the parallels and it ran very very slow. It looked like the mac system is not supporting full ram into parallels. It's just my experience.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    made a mistake sorry

• Options
    Everything. The entire run of Sims 3 and a lot of Store content. I have the same graphics card you had, but have quad processors as I knew I wanted to run Sims. I have 32GB of RAM. I run NRAAS mods (Master Controller, Overwatch, Story Progression and Traveler). For my worlds, I run Ella Charmed's fixed worlds which is almost all of them except for a couple of the Store Worlds, but they're small and hardly give me problems. Yes, I even have Katy Perry's stuff. No problem with Pets or Seasons. I read up on installing and playing Sims 3 before I bought it as I came in late. It used to give me Force Quit fits, but hardly does now.
  • Options
    @Jeansoo Yes, I have the jagged shadow edges; I thought you were saying that the shadow rendering wasn't working properly or something. Other boundaries, like the beach in SV, are also less than smooth, but that seems true for a lot of people. I've always thought that it was unavoidable to some extent in TS3, but others may disagree or find ways around it.

I should note that my monitor's native resolution is 2880 x 1800, and I play in 1280 x 800 because I prefer the way it looks. I'm guessing your in-game resolution is also scaled to your monitor as well? Most of my other options are set the same as yours, except my reflections are "mirrors only" and high detail lots is 2 instead of 8.

I don't get the white objects much though (at least on this computer), and I think that's because of the difference in high detail lots. I've found that it doesn't really affect my play, especially if I only have one or two sims, and of course there are many fewer objects for the game to render at any one time. On my old computer, some objects would show up white or as stencils for a few seconds, especially the first time the camera was on that lot in that particular play session, so I always figured that it was the result of underpowered hardware.

If you want to see a few examples, I've posted some pics recently from the PC side. In the first link, the fourth pic in particular shows the jagged shadows very well, but like I said, I've always thought that's just how the game looked. The second link is mostly scenery.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16476522/#Comment_16476522
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16482964/#Comment_16482964

For comparison's sake, this is from the same computer but before I Bootcamped. Check out the water line in particular.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16417004/#Comment_16417004
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @Jeansoo Yes, I have the jagged shadow edges; I thought you were saying that the shadow rendering wasn't working properly or something. Other boundaries, like the beach in SV, are also less than smooth, but that seems true for a lot of people. I've always thought that it was unavoidable to some extent in TS3, but others may disagree or find ways around it.

I should note that my monitor's native resolution is 2880 x 1800, and I play in 1280 x 800 because I prefer the way it looks. I'm guessing your in-game resolution is also scaled to your monitor as well? Most of my other options are set the same as yours, except my reflections are "mirrors only" and high detail lots is 2 instead of 8.

I don't get the white objects much though (at least on this computer), and I think that's because of the difference in high detail lots. I've found that it doesn't really affect my play, especially if I only have one or two sims, and of course there are many fewer objects for the game to render at any one time. On my old computer, some objects would show up white or as stencils for a few seconds, especially the first time the camera was on that lot in that particular play session, so I always figured that it was the result of underpowered hardware.

If you want to see a few examples, I've posted some pics recently from the PC side. In the first link, the fourth pic in particular shows the jagged shadows very well, but like I said, I've always thought that's just how the game looked. The second link is mostly scenery.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16476522/#Comment_16476522
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16482964/#Comment_16482964

For comparison's sake, this is from the same computer but before I Bootcamped. Check out the water line in particular.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16417004/#Comment_16417004

Thank you very much for good example shots.:) I'm not an English native, so I didn't know how to express my issue in English.
    I'm not sure it will be a good comparison with my sea screenshot in Isla Paradiso. I'm currently playing here.
    For me, I get white objects issue on other lot,30x30 size even though I play only single sim on my current quad core 16 GBs Rams computer.

3.png
    This is the one from GTX680MX graphics card. No shadow glitch.

2.png
    1.png
    These 2 sea screenshots are from Radeon Pro 560 in Isla Paradiso.
    I love this graphics except for the shadow glitches under the sunshine.

24.png
    This is annoying me. If you open this image on the new tab or new window, then you will see the broken shadow edge more clearly.

My highest resolution is 4096x2304. This resolution is really hard to read the UI and the stories. So I set it to 2560x1440 on desktop, and I set to 1920x1200 in the sims 3. Also, I'm playing the game on windowed mode. But still have the white objects for a few seconds in SV. I haven't tried in small worlds with this graphics card yet.

I installed only base game on mac side, tried to run the game on the highest resolution and the loading time took over 10 mins to get into SV. Serious 2-3 secs lagging was great on Mac side. I installed the windows 10 on bootcamp, then I ran only base game and lagging has gone completely. But the UI was incredibly tiny on screen, unable to read my sim's lifetime wish in game. So I had to put the resolution down. There was no white object issue on base game but it started to happen after installing all expansion pack but pets. So I got Riva tuner and now I have a few white objects in game. The white object issue was serious before setting Riva Tuner.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Everything. The entire run of Sims 3 and a lot of Store content. I have the same graphics card you had, but have quad processors as I knew I wanted to run Sims. I have 32GB of RAM. I run NRAAS mods (Master Controller, Overwatch, Story Progression and Traveler). For my worlds, I run Ella Charmed's fixed worlds which is almost all of them except for a couple of the Store Worlds, but they're small and hardly give me problems. Yes, I even have Katy Perry's stuff. No problem with Pets or Seasons. I read up on installing and playing Sims 3 before I bought it as I came in late. It used to give me Force Quit fits, but hardly does now.

Oh I'm jealous now. LOL I had 32GB rams before but it gave me force quit surprise..with 100 percent vanilla mode. Maybe I tested it in SV. But I love large worlds with premade sims populated. It's not FAIR. :smiley: It's kind of mac discrimination for no reason. :(

• Options
    @Jeansoo Don't worry about the language; we native speakers misinterpret each other's comments all the time.

After paying close attention the past couple of days, I can say that I still get some white objects for a second or two, but only when I've looked at a lot for the first time since the last time I cleared my caches. I guess the caches store some helpful data about lots, too. But again, I'd try lowering your number of high-detail lots to see if that helps at all.

One thing I was thinking about is that you said your highest resolution is 4096 x 2304. If that's your monitor's native resolution, that's a 16:9 ratio. (2560 x 1440 is as well.) But you have your in-game resolution set to 1920 x 1200, which is a 16:10 ratio. Your computer might render the game's graphics better if you use one of the in-game options that's also 16:9. If you google your mac's native resolution, you should also get a list of lower resolutions that are supported by your monitor.