Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear EA - Data Usage

Not happy EA. :s

I installed The sims mobile yesterday. In the middle of the night, this app turned off my WiFi and switched to Data while I was not even in the game . I keep my phone data off and use wifi. This app used 70 mb of data in one day. To all who may have a data plan and only have so much data a month, be aware this app may use all your data. Make sure you turn all your data off on your phone and turn the data off on the app too

Comments

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member

I installed The sims mobile yesterday. In the middle of the night, this app turned off my WiFi and switched to Data while I was not even in the game . I keep my phone data off and use wifi. This app used 70 mb of data in one day. To all who may have a data plan and only have so much data a month, be aware this app may use all your data. Make sure you turn all your data off on your phone and turn the data off on the app too

Thanks for the warning. I am not going to install that on my cellphone.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    james64468 wrote: »

Thanks for the warning. I am not going to install that on my cellphone.

Your welcome. I think I have all the Data turned off now. woke up and the data was not mysteriously turned on in the middle of the night. Running a test today to see what happens.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2018
    They other day I was going to all the pre-installed apps of my new mobile and was surprised to see how much permissions they all had by default. Some permissions went as far as being able to influence system settings. Most permissions I think they don't need in order to work as they should. So I turned a lot of them down and figured: if an app doesn't work because I revoked their permission, I will notice it soon enough and change it back, if needed (of course I stayed away from system settings: I'm talking about apps that if they don't work because I revoked permission, no damage will be done to my phone).

So I'm wondering, wouldn't that work for this app (I don't use this app myself): revoke certain permissions so it won't turn of your WIFI and use up your Data?
    @SimLibby I turned off everything including permissions. I don't know if it is coincidence now that i shut everything off but my game is having issues saving. I play one sim, leave the game, log back in to play the next sim, repeat. this seems to work better. I have more than enough space for the game and my phone specs meet requirements. People just need to be aware this app is a data hog for those who don't have unlimited data plans.
    Yeah, this is a good post. If you don't mind, I'am going to re-post this on Dutch officials.

I had this "Using up data" once. Turns out, when going out it automatically uses up your data (it searches for wireless spots or something) unless you turn it off. Didn't know about this. Me and mobiles, not a a good match, not a fan.

I don't know if it is coincidence now that i shut everything off but my game is having issues saving.
    Hopefully some other players can report about this and you can compare notes.
    edited May 2018
    @SimLibby Feel free to share the info. More info. I forgot I had set my sims up for working long shift hours while i was sleeping so they could complete more tasks. I'm sure allot of people do this to advance in the game ;) This is when the sims game switched my phone from wifi to data and why i got all that data usage. I did not set my sims up to do tasks while I was sleeping last night for fear the game would try to trigger data even though I had it switched off
    Got it. I included it in the message. :)
  • ForumExplorerForumExplorer Posts: 24 Member
    Yeah it's ridiculous.
    Sometimes it even gets stuck loading on Wi-Fi.

It completely unplayable without Wi-Fi which makes me wonder if I can play it anywhere else at home, then why am I playing it all instead of Sims 4 on computer.
  • Assana8Assana8 Posts: 31 Member
    I get 50GB each month in my plan. I watch videos and TV shows online as well as play the Sims mobile. 50GB just covers all that. I usually play every day.
    036ae1c16dc75d087037a7af203b8877--cosima-niehaus-bbc-america.jpg
    - Don't suck on your bitter lemons, add a little sugar and make sweet lemonade.
    Assana8 wrote: »
    I get 50GB each month in my plan. I watch videos and TV shows online as well as play the Sims mobile. 50GB just covers all that. I usually play every day.

I set this thread up for people who don't have that much data ;)