Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need more random names for non-English languages

The game really need more names in CAS and for townies and NPC.
I've checked the game files and this is how many names there are in the Norwegian language compared to the English.
Norwegian:
Female:
Male: 40
Last names: 40

English:
Female:
Male: 1076
Last names: 3150

As you can see, if you're playing the game in Norwegian (and probably other languages), you'll get very low variation when it comes to names and you'll just be seeing the same names over and over and over. (I'd repeat the last two letters in that sentence several more times to prove my points but I think I'll let that be.)
This just gets boring after a while so we really need more names, I'm sure I'm not alone feeling this.
I personally wouldn't mind to get all the English available while playing the game in my own language.

Comments

• Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Weird. My game's in English, and yet every townie I meet is named Yoshida or Sakamoto.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Weird. My game's in English, and yet every townie I meet is named Yoshida or Sakamoto.

Right. Ever since City Living, almost every randomly generated sim has an Asian name. I can’t believe they still haven’t fixed this (or maybe I can). It’s highly annoying.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

Right. Ever since City Living, almost every randomly generated sim has an Asian name. I can’t believe they still haven’t fixed this (or maybe I can). It’s highly annoying.

I decided it's not a broken name generator but on purpose. Like in tribute to someone on the team, or a CEO or Disney bigshots, or to those who do the outsourcing (that team or peson etc.). I don't know, but it isn't the first time Maxis added big shot names to the game (CEOs and Investors etc.) and then the game had a lot of Sims by those names. So, I don't expect it will ever be fixed after I decided I'm right. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Cinebar I had a Sim in TS2 named Randy London before. I forgot who it was with that second name but once years ago I accidently referred to a developer as 'Randy London' and no one knew who I was on about! :no_mouth:

Funny how there has never been any Sim with the name Will Wright generated before and if there has then I want to see evidence! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    my game is install in French if I needed an English name I would simply type it other wise I would select a French name for my sims
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2017
    Morten8035 wrote: »
    The game really need more names in CAS and for townies and NPC.
    I've checked the game files and this is how many names there are in the Norwegian language compared to the English.
    Norwegian:
    Female:
    Male: 40
    Last names: 40

English:
    Female:
    Male: 1076
    Last names: 3150

As you can see, if you're playing the game in Norwegian (and probably other languages), you'll get very low variation when it comes to names and you'll just be seeing the same names over and over and over. (I'd repeat the last two letters in that sentence several more times to prove my points but I think I'll let that be.)
    This just gets boring after a while so we really need more names, I'm sure I'm not alone feeling this.
    I personally wouldn't mind to get all the English available while playing the game in my own language.

YES. THANK YOU.

I play in Norwegian too, and dear lord there aren't many names available in the randomizer at all. Is it possible to mod more into it? I know for a fact that there are way more names than just 40, and I really feel like the translators got incredibly lazy here. The townies are all named more or less the same garbage, I want more variation!!!

Honestly it gets to the point where I just merge the townie households that end up with the exact same last names, that's how lacking our list of names is. Honestly kinda surprised my first name is even included.

Let me just say that I really, really envy the English-speaking players and their vast variety of available RNG names. :|

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    Exactly! I play in german and the names are really bad. I'm not creative with names, I'd love to be able to use a decent random name generator. I'd be happy with the english names actually. I think there is a mod that lets you use the english pool of names instead, but I can't find it anymore. And I don't want to play the whole game in english just to get some decent names.
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
  • Options
    Morten8035Morten8035 Posts: 44 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    YES. THANK YOU.

I play in Norwegian too, and dear lord there aren't many names available in the randomizer at all. Is it possible to mod more into it? I know for a fact that there are way more names than just 40, and I really feel like the translators got incredibly lazy here. The townies are all named more or less the same garbage, I want more variation!!!

Honestly it gets to the point where I just merge the townie households that end up with the exact same last names, that's how lacking our list of names is. Honestly kinda surprised my first name is even included.

Let me just say that I really, really envy the English-speaking players and their vast variety of available RNG names. :|

Yeah, there's up to 17.000 first names names and probably more in Norway, 80 in the game is just disappointing.

I have done some modding and managed to add all the English names to the Norwegian names list. Only confirmed working in CAS so far, don't know if townies will get them yet until I meet one.

Either way, mods or not, I would really like to get more officially added names to the Norwegian list.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    In Portuguese I bet it should not be that far from 80. I'm always stuck with a handful of names for the game generated, and it isn't even the popular ones. I'm so thankful for the San Myshuno riot, although even so I'm getting a lot of the same asian ones.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Morten8035Morten8035 Posts: 44 Member
    I have met sims with Asian names but I don't think I've had the problem where a lot of townies have those kinds of names. I'm my case it's just the same Norwegian names over and over again.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    My game does pop up with some of the same names, and in fact I see more non-European names than ever before lol. I too see plenty of Sakamotos and Rameshes and Abd Al Kaders and diversity is great and all, but it's a little too diverse in my games, and appreciate the rare European name from time to time.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    mozavmozav Posts: 1 New Member
    It is a great game, exciting and exciting.
  • Options
    minimouetteminimouette Posts: 75 Member
    my game is install in French if I needed an English name I would simply type it other wise I would select a French name for my sims

mine is installed in french too, but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 I am annoyed that the only name spawning are french names when i'm making sims from different ethnic background. I wish we could patch in att the names of any language....
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I play in Portuguese-Brazil. And it's exactly the same amount, 40 of each. To solve this problem, I made a mod with a friend that adds a huge amount of Brazilian names.

-1425 female first names (originally 40);
    -277 last names (originally 40);
    -518 male first names (originally 40).

Solved my problem. =)

In any case, this small number of names in the other languages is inadmissible. They can easily solve this.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    RosalettaRosaletta Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you! I too play in Norwegian and I have been rather annoyed by this. All my townies have so similar names that it becomes difficult to distinguish between them. I was planning to marry one of my sims to a townie and the other day I thought I saw her walk past the house. So I made my sim go out to talk to her, and was so confused when they barely knew each other. Turns out she was a different townie, with identical hair, the same first name and a very similar surname... so yeah. Not even the first time that happens. I switched to an online generator for my own sims when I started to suspect that there were few names in the game generator, so now there's at least some diversity among them :smile:

I understand that they won't put in as many names as in the English version for all the translated ones, but 40 is not much at all. I would love if they added some more.
  • Options
    simlottesimlotte Posts: 56 Member
    edited May 2018
    I play in english and I don't remember what it was like when I was still playing in German, but lately ALL townies have the same names and it's not english ones but mostly asian or arabian? I don't really know the origin of the names, but it's been kind of annoying to have only foreign names in game and no english ones. I am in my 5th generation of my legacy, so all the original townies have long gone and I try to move in a lot of households I create or download from the gallery to have some control over who is in my neighborhood, so that way I control the names as well, but all Maxis-made Sims in my game have non-english names!

And in my current generation they all literally have the same name! My kid has befriended a few other kids (in school, on the playground...) and three of them have the SAME PLUM NAME! I hate that! I mean I have friends withe the same last name or the same first name. But how rare is it to meet three people with the same first and last name!?

All I want is some diversity! Some english names, some foreign names and most of all I don't want all Sims to have the exact same name!
  • Options
    PinkHairGuitarPinkHairGuitar Posts: 44 Member
    The German random names are really awful (if they show up at all among the city-life-names. They are from the 60s or 70s, and nobody today would name their children with most of them. I really wish I wasn't a noob and could change those names myself and add more names. As for now I'm using a mod that gives me the English names in my German gameplay, and that's way better than all the awful German names in game. It would be better if they'd use real "old" names than these 60s or 70s style. Too late for that. -There are so many modders changing names for their country, but no German, unfortunately. I have two "first name" books lying next to my game computer, so that I can at least change them all manually and have REAL diversity including names from every country. .... Why isn't it possible to add names of choice, for example add Brazilian names, Swedish names etc.? Can't be SO difficult to implant some sort of that in game options. The names are surely somewhere hidden in everyone's game, no matter which country the game language is. And it would be so great to be able to just ADD further name options. ... However, I'm happy for the mod that lets me use English names even if I've got the German game version. ... Over and out. B)
    Guy on my picture is Freaky Pink, famous detective and womanizer.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    Luckily I play in English because all the Finnish names in the game are awful :''D (well, Finnish names, in general, are quite hideous but you know)
    I've played in English for years now because some of the translations in Finnish are so cringy which it's not the translators' fault btw... :-D
  • Options
    giulliagiullia Posts: 25 Member
    A while ago, I tried to play in German, and it was so upsetting. It looked as though everyone had the same names. So I just went back to English, and now I have a huge variety, even though most townies have asian-sounding names. I don't mind it, but it's weird when I see people with physical characteristics that don't fit their names at all.
    The Goldsmith Legacy
    - A Sims 3 Legacy Challenge.

6.jpg?w=1024

• Options
    This might be a very silly question @giullia @PeculiarPlumbob : HOW is it possible to change the game settings to another language??? I'm always automatically on German. ...And well, I've been playing the Sims since the beginning with Sims 1. Still don't know how to change the game language. :/ :/
  • Options
    YardenroYardenro Posts: 376 Member
    LOL is there Hebrew? I don't think so haha

-Yarden.
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I play in Portuguese-Brazil. And it's exactly the same amount, 40 of each. To solve this problem, I made a mod with a friend that adds a huge amount of Brazilian names.

-1425 female first names (originally 40);
    -277 last names (originally 40);
    -518 male first names (originally 40).

Solved my problem. =)

In any case, this small number of names in the other languages is inadmissible. They can easily solve this.

Is it hard to do? I'd really want to be able to do that with french names because I'm sick of the 80 ugly names we've got!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    lisalittlesimmerlisalittlesimmer Posts: 404 Member
    @PinkHairGuitar could you link the mod maybe?
    My lot showcase
    Origin ID: lisalittlesimmer
    K5IURhP.jpg
  • Options
    Sure... I hope it is okay with forum rules: :s
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=608274
    It doesn't eliminate the city life names for randoms, but for all others.