March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Build Mode is Abandoned [ UPDATE] Good News.

Comments

• SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Why do we have to choose what stair style we want most? Unreal. How about making a pack for the builders already, ts4 gameplay is boring! At least give me something to build with. I still want elevators like in ts2, ceiling tiles and terrain tools. If we have to wait for a singel lot to load with a load screen it shouldn't be that huge of a deal to add these items in. It was done years ago. Why is everything in this game so watered down? Annoying.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Why do we have to choose what stair style we want most? Unreal. How about making a pack for the builders already, ts4 gameplay is boring! At least give me something to build with. I still want elevators like in ts2, ceiling tiles and terrain tools. If we have to wait for a singel lot to load with a load screen it shouldn't be that huge of a deal to add these items in. It was done years ago. Why is everything in this game so watered down? Annoying.

Because they don't care. It's all about how much stuff they can recycle and market as new while throwing one or two new things to distract the masses to give them money. They don't care.

They don't even come to these threads to listen to us. If they really wanted to make serious money on this game, they would take every suggestion that has been made and find a way to implement it into the game. But they can't, or won't, due to the game engine limitations....therefore we get the limitations as well. We can talk about it until we are blue in the face.... at the end of the day...we either take what they offer and open our wallets to it... or finally decide we've had enough and move on to another game. Either way....They don't care.

• sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    We have to choose because (as in the words of the Guru) "we can't do everything at once" which, obviously translates to "we can only do one thing at a time". ;)
  • PetreakPetreak Posts: 24 Member
    It's good to hear a SimGuru has been wanting the same stuff we have. Thanks for posting! Hopefully it can be turned around soon, we really don't need later, that's for sure.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Thanks you for the repsonse, Houts!
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
    edited May 2018
    Post edited by SimmerNickYT on
    hPtVNfA.png
  • mr014mr014 Posts: 1,648 Member
    edited May 2018
    1. Paintable ceilings - don't really care.
    2. Independent foundations - YES please!
    3. Terrain manipulation - sure, why not.
    4. Pond/lake tool - definitely!
    5. Stairs tool (U-shaped & L-shaped with landing) - YES please!
    6. Single handrail - sure, why not.

* Stage/platform tool like TS2/TS3 (TS3 had a really low one), with adjustable height from very low (1 step) to
    quite high (8 step) like foundations - YES please!

* We need windows that we can put on sloped roofs.

Also, TS4 added the ability to move windows up and down along the wall, which was a great addition - now, why can
    we still not move doors and windows along the horizontal wall axes in smaller than full grid square increments?
    Post edited by mr014 on
  • SisselinSisselin Posts: 150 Member

I'm pretty sure they won't make a pack for builders because they want everyone to have the new things for building! But they are atleast starting to get going with the build stuff and there is even talk about making the elevators functional with a hypothetical sims in wheelchairs update
    tumblr_inline_p9jlrfQZR61v3om1q_540.png
    Get my cc and follow me on tumblr here https://sisselin.tumblr.com/tagged/my cc
    tumblr_p44az47wrF1wvxve9o10_r1_1280.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Sisselin wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they won't make a pack for builders because they want everyone to have the new things for building! But they are atleast starting to get going with the build stuff and there is even talk about making the elevators functional with a hypothetical sims in wheelchairs update
    tumblr_inline_p9jlrfQZR61v3om1q_540.png

OMG Disabled Sims. That would totally be something never done before. You'd need ramps as well as stairs for people who have small foundations.

That's not to say we'll get them. But it sounds like the devs want to make them.

But I do NOT want to pay for builder stuff.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well, sounds like the devs want to do it. Now they just have to secure the budget for it. Anyone want to organise a peaceful demonstration outside the office window of whoever holds the purse strings?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I've been hesitating to respond in this thread because I didn't feel there was much I could say to make Builders feel better. However, Grant's recent twittering (and some stuff happening around the office) has me feeling more optimistic about finally getting some traction on all the stuff the build community (and myself) has been wanting since... forever!

I'm not sure where you're all getting the "we'll only get one thing" idea regarding what Grant has been tweeting about, though I understand the slow pace of new build features has been frustrating and probably makes you feel pessimistic about the future. Hopefully we can turn that around sooner than later.

Music to my ears. I hope so. And like soon.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes we need more cause at this point the building aspect is totally lame...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    As much as I love building (and am very happy to read about the new glass roofs and that building does very much appear to be something on the mind of the Simgurus), I don't realistically see a pack dedicated just to building potentially being on the horizon for the sims fact that while it caters to an arguably significant number of simmers, it may be too narrow in its focus or may exclude the rest of the simming population out there who aren't into building.

They may prefer instead to go with a broader approach when it comes to features--so that this way there may be other things for other types of simmers out there to want to pick up a pack. Especially as there are a significant number of simmers out there who aren't builders or who actually don't enjoy it/actually dread or even hate it (or just prefer to go with something already built and existing instead).

However, having said that, I'm happy to see that so many of the build mode features we've received so far have thankfully been given to us for free in patches.

I hope this is a trend that continues--and I hope to see more build mode items (including many that have posted in earlier posts that we had in past installments) make an appearance in the game in the future.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I don't have a lot of talent in creating builds, but terrain tool and the water tool have been around since TS1, and in every game since then, EXCEPT Sims 4. Sims 2 and 3 had the ability to add more floors than Sims 4 does, which is a serious limitation. And they didn't even give us the tools to create our own apartment shell structures, like are used in San Myshuno.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    This will be the first time we get roof glazing that will both let in realistic light rays and keep the weather out, without doing something bizarre with transparent ceiling tiles that ruins the realistic light effect. So I guess builders have something in this next patch! I don't think we'll get terrain sculpting and CFE, I suspect there is too much depth to what parts of code are affected by defined levels, in this particular engine.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    What annoys me the most is the lack of separate foundations. Also I would like L-shaped and U-shaped stairs.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    So many different things we keep asking for.... and they keep giving us ROOFS!!!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    So many different things we keep asking for.... and they keep giving us ROOFS!!!

It's the easiest. They pretty much re-meshed the roofs we already had with glass materials.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    You see, this is why they don't give us a color wheel. Because that's all they do with content in this game...recolor or remesh...recycle and resell it as new content. Builders and creators not welcome here unless you get on board with buying what's in the game. 4 years in and they are just now getting around to teasing everyone with voting for a new stair style... but just one... Oh you can't have them all.

It's lazy, it's rude, and I've really had it with EA.
  • DrearydearyDrearydeary Posts: 85 Member
    Everything in your post is spot on op!
    The thing that bothers me the most is not being able to delete or place single floor tiles, this causes me headaches every time I'm building.
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    Wow!! I am not a builder so I was not aware of this but I hope the sims team adds more customization options for builders.
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Shira3000Shira3000 Posts: 348 Member
    When The Sims 4 was announced, one of its promises was a revolutionary build mode, packed with new tools and lots of practicality. And that was not a lie, really many new things have been added, from practicality to new tools (some of them included per update).

Examples:

1. Pools were added to the game.
    2. We can choose up to the edge of the pool.
    3. Basements were added.
    4. Half walls were added.
    5. Added a tool that allows us to choose even the style of water from fountains and pools.
    6. And we also had new styles of roofs that were added more recently.

(If I forgot something, please let me know).

But still, I feel like the builders of this game are abandoned. It will not be new types of roofing that will change that reality. We are abandoned.

The problem is that since when the basements were released in 2015, no really important and heavy functionality has been added to the game ever since. The improvements and additions were small, nothing that we could classify as really important.

I was really hoping for important things for build mode in 2017, and when I went to see it, it was just a few new roof models in the game. Oh really?

With all due respect for your work, @SimGuruHouts , I really expected a little more.

Lets go:

1. Ceiling Tile.

Since when The Sims 4 was released, to this day, we can not change the ceiling tile. We have to deal with that same white ceiling tile in every building and this is very frustrating. And it gets even worse if we consider that this feature was present in The Sims 3 since the base game was released in 2009.

Talking like a layman, this functionality does not seem too complex to add to the game and I think it might already have been added to The Sims 4 a long time ago. Come on, the game will complete 4 years this year, there was more than enough time for something like that to be added.

AUJQDMo.jpg

2. Independent Foundations:

This is an extremely annoying problem, and I have seen many people complain about it for the past 3 years.

In The Sims 4, it is not impossible to build a building that sits above a foundation while another building, still in the same lot, remains at ground level as we can see in the image below.

When we use a foundation in The Sims 4, it affects everything that was built in the lot, and that's a limitation on how many lots can be built.

wMFEab9.png
    1MUQ9cB.jpg

3. Terrain Tool

I honestly don't even know why I'm talking about it. This is definitely one of those tools that we are already sure will never return, at least in The Sims 4. This is one of the tools of the build mode that most players have asked for the return, but that so far the producers did not give a word about, and most likely will be like this until the end of the generation.

The terrain tool was an important tool in both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3. It was responsible for allowing advanced builders to create incredible buildings, especially when using cheats like: constrainfloorelevation false, which allowed terrain leveling to affect structure of buildings.

This is something that really misses, especially to help in the aesthetics of the lots, and that saddens me.

vWLWrRK.jpg

4. Water Tool / Lake Tool

This tool walks alongside the terrain tool as it affects the ground level. I really miss building real lakes

Even today the players of The Sims 4 are forced to build pools disguised as lakes. In an attempt to make it seem more natural, players place several stones on the edge of the pool to try to create a more beautiful landscape, and disguise the pool.

Are we going to have to deal with this until the end of the generation?

8H3QsQn.jpg

5. L Shaped Stairs Tool

I've been waiting for this for years, since The Sims 3, but it seems that stairs is a feature that producers apparently have no interest in improving in the game.

1BNfODv.jpg

In The Sims 4, players are required to build their homes within a foundation so that it is possible to create something that comes close to a L shaped stair. Of course, many people don't do that because creating a home within a foundation makes it very difficult the way the building is built.

In The Sims 3, the only way to create L shaped stair was by using the constrainfloorelevation code inside the building by changing the floor level, which affected the walls of the house. It was a step back from the third generation and I will now explain why:

ghLPP6w.jpg

In The Sims 2, in Open for Business Expansion Pack, the stage/platform tool was added. This tool was similar to the foundation, but unlike it, it was possible to add them in the inner part of the house, glued / leaning against the wall. This tool was perfect for building L shaped stairs in The Sims 2, and when it was launched, players no longer needed to use the cheat constrainfloorelevation to make L shaped Stairs. The only problem is that, as far as I remember, it was not possible set the platform height, so the L-shaped stairs always had their initial part close to the ground.

I keep wondering how amazing it would be to be able to build L-shaped stairs in The Sims 4 using a tool of their own, allowing me to even set the height of the ladder.

IMPORTANT: I know that many players want spiral stairs, I also want to, but spiral stairs are actually just an object that producers just need to create. And honestly, I do not know why this has not yet been done.

For now, for me, L-shaped stairs are more important.

It's tricky to deal with so much missing features in build mode.

6. Single Handrail

I don't know if you know, but in The Sims 4 it's impossible to build stairs with just a single handdrail. It turns out that when we use the handrail tool on a ladder, the game automatically adds two handrails, each on a different side of the ladder.

It's a small detail, but I've been through some situations where the ladder would look perfect if there was a handrail only on one side, but as the game adds handrails on both sides automatically, there was nothing I could do.

8KXp1RK.jpg

In The Sims 3 and The Sims 2, we can only add one rail if that's what we want.

I think the producers wanted to make the players' work much more practical with some things that in the end what they did was disturb the way the players build something.

@SimGuruHouts , I beg you, help us with build mode, all the things I've said here are important, and at least 2 of them do not seem to me to be very complex to introduce, like the case of individual handrails and ceiling tile.

I want to take the opportunity and invite @ehaught58 to join the discussion. I know you've been one of the great advocates of new tools for game building mode.

You really expressed everyone's desires! All the things you mentioned in my opinion are essential to greatly improve this game and make us, the players, happy! I especially want the types of stairs and the independent foundations, I think it's just a scandal that in The Sims 4 - the leading game and the most advanced game - you can not design and build stairways in a convenient way. It's just strange and odd that you can only build straight stairs without L-shaped steps, U-shaped stairs, Stair Landings and more. In general, I think that it is worthwhile and necessary to have a special tool for building stairs, as everyone wants and will have the opportunity to design their own shaped stairs.
    Please, The Sim Gurus, Read those words!
    thevogel wrote: »
    You see, this is why they don't give us a color wheel. Because that's all they do with content in this game...recolor or remesh...recycle and resell it as new content. Builders and creators not welcome here unless you get on board with buying what's in the game. 4 years in and they are just now getting around to teasing everyone with voting for a new stair style... but just one... Oh you can't have them all.

It's lazy, it's rude, and I've really had it with EA.

This. I was watching the Seasons livestream yesterday and they were showing off the new CAS items. And one of the Simguru's said that they have added so many swatches and that it was amazing. But like you said. If we would have that freedom in the first place they could spend their budget and time to add other stuff instead of wasting it on overrated recolours.
    hPtVNfA.png
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    Great OP. Thank you so much for this @celipoesias

The lack of building tools is one of my sore points with TS4.

We really don't rule when it comes to building.

While building has become more streamlined with ease of functionality, sacrificing complexity created more problems and frustration.

For me, independent foundations are critical, so too ladders and other stair options.

If we can't get terrain tools, or even a lake tool, at least give us the option to create curved pools. I mostly create lots with natural features like ponds and lakes and the process would be a lot less frustrating if I had a simple curved tool.

Also, give us the option of creating apartments/townhouses outside of San Myshuno - and workable elevators not tied to a high-rise shell.

Other little annoyances: columns that can only snap to grid, the fact I can't just have one handrail and the lack of sunken hot tubs.