Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you play with just one household?

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    I play one main household. My current family is a young couple, not yet married and no kids. They are based on real life people. I created both sets of elder parents, all their siblings and used MC to set all the relationships and friendship levels. I'll probably have to rotate a bit as the siblings will eventually marry and have kids. Or I may just create the spouses and kids and move them in.
  • MollyneonfoxMollyneonfox Posts: 11 New Member
    Ive only played one family since I got the game(Feb 28th). Currently only on gen 6 but I like them too much to switch between households.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    NO, I have one main family but there are many other families related to their story so, no I don't play with only one family.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • RevolverOcelotsRevolverOcelots Posts: 438 Member
    It depends on my saves I keep my legacy family in a whole other save file completely cuz thats the one i play with aging on but in one save since aging is usually off i can play a few families without worrying people might die or anything
    8c1695baf85e527a0357f825b6539ff2cd9de1a7.gif Where Have All The Cowboys Gone?
  • BananaSplitBananaSplit Posts: 7 New Member
    I have 2 sims they are neighbor, I make the first one flirt with the second one, so at certain point I switch to the second one in order to accept whatever it has to make a contribute in the relation, but then my first sim act like a stranger and not liking any of my actions, this is really weird like the first sim have no memory what happened, I hate this and I give up on trying multiple sims
  • simesmerizedsimesmerized Posts: 202 Member
    Yes, I currently have 3 households I rotate between. They're all related to each other one way or another. I have aging off and age them up only when and if I feel like it. I also don't set a time to switch back to a different house. I might play one household a sim week and the next 2 days before switching. I just play who I feel like. Household #1 is a mother and her toddler daughter. They live in a small cottage in Windenburg. Household #2 is a couple in San Myshuno with their toddler son. Household #3 is in Brindleton Bay and consists of 4 young adults. I've been playing all of these sims (except the toddlers, they're new) for years. haha Sometimes I age them up, age them back down, whatever goes. They've all basically been married multiple times, had a few kids, etc...
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I stick with one family the majority of the time. Occasionally I make other sims to play, but somehow I always end up coming back to my favourite sim.
  • Star_sapphire097Star_sapphire097 Posts: 1 New Member
    Eh, I play about 10 families but I always have to use cheat ''cas.fulleditmode'' to age my sims back down sometimes. On Sims 2 I just kept making them and not really playing them lol
  • StoneRynoStoneRyno Posts: 43 Member
    I have played both ways in TS2. I haven't played TS3 or 4. I have been undecisive with purchasing either. I want to play multiple households however one major thing i didn't like about that in TS2 was time progression between households. For example if I invite one of my sims from another household over for hours for the day, and then switch to that sims household to play out the day for them. The sim that was invited over to the other household doesn't conform to the I'm not here but there for this time frame of hours and then come back. Similarly within a household if i left the lot to go downtown or something when i came back it was as if no time had passed. My desire was that the sim(s) that stayed home were played out to the time the other sim(s) were out bring played on somewhere else.

My desire was that all sims were played out in equal time and were not present if they were somewhere else as a result of play with a different household. I don't know if this has changed any since TS2. Even if it hasn't I'm sure I'll end up playing both ways again.
  • DollieDollie Posts: 23 Member
    I usually only play one save file at a time. Sometimes if I'm feeling a little adventurous I may have two going!
    yJYOKFo.png
    ✿ Origin ID :: Dollcakes ✿
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I play with one household. The only times I switch is if I need to set something up (like a club or something). Then I change that family back to "non played".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    No that would be way too boring
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I’m currently playing 81 sims . At least 3rd generation each household, some 6th. I like my sims to have large extended families.
  • hkamelothkamelot Posts: 16 Member
    I have always played one household. I tend to micromanage my Sims so I worry if I go to another household my Sims from the main household will be behind where they could be with skills, careers and aspirations.
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    Anyone in this thread who can tell me what it is like to play rotational and legacy at the same time? What is a good lifespan to set to and how do you set your autonomy? I kinda want to play other households but I kinda don't want to lose control over my current one.. seems tricky!
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    Anyone in this thread who can tell me what it is like to play rotational and legacy at the same time? What is a good lifespan to set to and how do you set your autonomy? I kinda want to play other households but I kinda don't want to lose control over my current one.. seems tricky!

I don't play legacy but rather do the generational thing within rotational play. I'm currently juggling about 20 houehold in one rotation, have free will on (with generous use of the pause button as or if needed) and my lifespan is on long. Auto aging is OFF except for the household I play at each time.

I'd recommend to set aging off except for the household you play at each time and turn off auto age for everything else. That way, your households will age equally as you rotate them and you won't loose control. That does mean that the townie pool and any housed household that is not part of your rotation wont age but you could always age them manually as time goes by.

As for which lifespan to use, I prefer the long one but if you have many households like me, little over 20, the aging overall is quite slow, so if you aren't as patient as I am or not involved in a lot of storylines (I am for instance only on generation 1 for each household, still), I am thinking that the normal lifespan might be for you if your rotation contains a lot of households. But if you keep it to a small number, you might prefer the long lifespan. But to be honest, that is something that you have to find out for yourself.

You might also want to look at the big supermod, the MCCC one. I haven't installed it myself (still thinking about it) but it might give you better control, especially regarding aging and even story progression for the households you don't play but is part of your world.

Anyway. This is my recommendation from my own experiences with rotational play in Sims 4.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Basically if I play a second or third household it's just to support the first, so I stop aging before I do, and when I'm done I turn it back on again.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    Thanks @Stina1701A! :smiley: That's some good advice. I already have MCCC installed and have a custom life life span which is a bit longer than normal but shorter than long. This has worked perfectly for me playing legacy.

I switched to another household once, when I did I turned aging off for a while which was enjoyable, but I figured if I am going to play rotational there will need to be a bit more story progression. Maybe for now I'll stick to aging on when playing my main, and switching aging off for a while in the entire world when I want to play another household for a while.

I can certainly recommend MCCC, it gives a lot of useful settings and it's been perfect for game progression to me. Takes some tweaking the settings to find the right settings for you but I don't think I could go back to TS4 without MCCC at this point! :blush:
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Both, I'll play my households then switch to some of the premade sims that come with the game. I like to see how different the other sims are compared to mine.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    mayray wrote: »
    Or do you switch between multiple families?

I used to play with every family in the neighborhood in sims 2

but then in sims 3 I stuck to just one family.

I've been managing the world a lot lately and its made me think about how much i used to enjoy switching between families and wanted to see what others were experiencing.

I always play lots of families in the Sims - I switch on varying rotation of usually around 30-35 households and even play some of the Maxis households enough to get their houses and sims the way I want them. I do not play the Maxis Sims in my rotations though and only revisit them when I feel it's needed - for aging or adding to the family or something.

I don't like how short aging is in the Sims 4 - even long is too short - so I control all aging. I don't want the bars filled with just elders - so that is why I also control neighborhood aging.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »

I'd recommend to set aging off except for the household you play at each time and turn off auto age for everything else. That way, your households will age equally as you rotate them and you won't loose control. That does mean that the townie pool and any housed household that is not part of your rotation wont age but you could always age them manually as time goes by.

The way I compensate for that is to pick one household in the rotation - the first, usually - and turn aging back on for non-played households, then turn it back off again when I rotate out. I'm pretty regular about playing one week per household so it stays fairly even, barring the townies I randomly age back down because I don't want them to die *coughDonLothariocough.* If you didn't want such a regular schedule though you could just turn it on for whatever random amount of time you to make sure everyone advanced a bit.

• rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I have created several different custom households, but I have only been playing the one same household and save game data since the game was released.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I have no choice but to play 1 household per game save. TS4 makes it impossible to play rotationally as one can in TS2. Since it is evident that EA has no interest in so much as providing an option, we are left to hope some modder will step up to the bar.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have no choice but to play 1 household per game save. TS4 makes it impossible to play rotationally as one can in TS2. Since it is evident that EA has no interest in so much as providing an option, we are left to hope some modder will step up to the bar.

I don't find it difficult at all to play multiple households. What about it is different from TS2 that doesn't work for you? (As a caveat, I do play with several mods that may make my potential experience different.)
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I play rotationally. I couldn't play TS4 if I didn't.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg