Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love vampires, but you know what really annoys me about them?

Most of my live mode activities involve micro-managing sim's needs. I appreciate a lot of people find that tedious and choose the reward traits that make needs deplete more slowly, but I like, in fact need the need depletion to fit with my play style.

Having said that, I love vampires, and I especially love the sims 4 ones, but two things really irk me;

Firstly, vampiric energy only depletes by either sunlight (non-issue for me, all mine are immune) or doing vampire things - using powers etc. - it doesn't deplete throughout the day (or night) in the same way human energy does. Are you really telling me a vampire who woke up completely rested but hasn't used their powers for a while is still gonna be as fresh as a daisy after being on the go for 4 days straight? It's so annoying. I really wish they'd just get tired and go to bed like everyone else has to.

Secondly, their other needs, apart from thirst also deplete more slowly. The undead seem to also be the great unwashed but after 2 days without maintaining personal hygiene their bodily odour is still at socially acceptable levels.

In effect I end up with vampire sims I really love, but the need micro-managing is diminished, thus leaving me feeling a bit at a loss.

Sorry for the rant. I know they're only little things but they really bother me sometimes.

Can anyone relate?
Gallery ID: babysquare

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    That's interesting! I have mixed feelings, I can kind of relate but at the same time I see why it is the way that it is. I think since the thirst need is so demanding (even without the weaknesses associated with it), it kind of justifies the other needs being a bit more forgiving. But it does take away from the fun micromanaging aspect since all you really have to manage is thirst.

I guess I hadn't noticed, since I tend to have a rather difficult playstyle with my vamp. With thin skin, insatiable thirst, and sloppy drinker, I can only imagine he'd have a hell of a time trying to survive if his other needs decayed more rapidly :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Oh yeah, given that combination I can understand it.

Maybe it's because I choose the least impactful weaknesses, having worked out a few of them can be cancelled out with the carefree trait.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I actually love that the needs deplete so slowly because it gives me a lot more flexibility to focus on doing more fun stuff with my vampires. I see vampires as higher on the food chain than normal sims, and not quite alive, so it totally makes sense to me that they don't stink or deplete as quickly, save for their plasma lust.

But I can see why it's inconvenient for you. Maybe you could try taking some challenging weaknesses, it might fill in that gameplay gap for you. I see the weaknesses as a great mechanic put in place to replace the need challenges to keep vampires from getting too easy or powerful. You might end up enjoying them. :)
    #Team Occult
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I see what you mean LiELF, I'll have to have a think about what I can do with them.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I don't think I could play this game without the micromanagement of my sims' needs! It's the most natural thing, and often comes in handy when I just don't know what to do with a specific sim.

I have a household consisting of two vampires and the Grim Reaper. As you can imagine, none of them needs anything, like... ever. The fox has to be fed and washed occasionally, but that's it, most of the stuff in the house, the toilets, the kitchen, even the bedrooms are basically just decoration, and I can never play with this family for long because of that. As cool as they are, I wish they were a little... needier.
  • sasuxnaruxsakusasuxnaruxsaku Posts: 41 Member
    What bugs me about vampires, is that they don't need to use the toilet O-o Even tho they are dead they should be able too. Sometimes I want to delete the toilet because they don't use it. On top of that they should have more vampire food making options with plasma. Other then that I still love playing with Vampires.
    Origin ID: sasuxnaruxsaku
    Sims 3 Acc: narusasulover16
    SimsAmino: https://aminoapps.com/c/sims/page/user/sasukexnaruxsakura/bNJH_Gf0140r5DwDqVz035dVBEqbJ62
    sims_forums_signature_by_narusasulover16-dcbvagx.png

• MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    Hm, I was pretty sure that my vampires' hygine is decreasing rather normally. But then again, I haven't played with them in a while so maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I agree on the energy though, even though I wouldn't call it annoying, maybe rather weird. They could get tired slower than the mortals, of course, but some enegry lost would be nice addition.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Most of my live mode activities involve micro-managing sim's needs. I appreciate a lot of people find that tedious and choose the reward traits that make needs deplete more slowly, but I like, in fact need the need depletion to fit with my play style.

Having said that, I love vampires, and I especially love the sims 4 ones, but two things really irk me;

Firstly, vampiric energy only depletes by either sunlight (non-issue for me, all mine are immune) or doing vampire things - using powers etc. - it doesn't deplete throughout the day (or night) in the same way human energy does. Are you really telling me a vampire who woke up completely rested but hasn't used their powers for a while is still gonna be as fresh as a daisy after being on the go for 4 days straight? It's so annoying. I really wish they'd just get tired and go to bed like everyone else has to.

Secondly, their other needs, apart from thirst also deplete more slowly. The undead seem to also be the great unwashed but after 2 days without maintaining personal hygiene their bodily odour is still at socially acceptable levels.

In effect I end up with vampire sims I really love, but the need micro-managing is diminished, thus leaving me feeling a bit at a loss.

Sorry for the rant. I know they're only little things but they really bother me sometimes.

Can anyone relate?

To be honest I thought those things did deplete when I first got Vampires, but haven't played TS4 in months so maybe they tweaked it a bit more and changed the way these things deplete to an even slower level? It's possible because I did have to put my vamp to bed when I first played them. Though he never really needed a bath.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have some issue with vampires as well, but they are different.

First off, I dislike that they can be daywalkers. The distinction between a normal Sim and a vampire Sim becomes non-existent in this regard. Vampires are 100% night creatures in my book. I resent seeing Vladislaus Straud in a grub stall in San Myshuno at noon 'Come any, come all and buy my delicious noodles!'. What's up with that?

Secondly, I find they are way too easy to play after you pick just a few perks. So easy, that you start to ponder to only play daywalking vampire Sims who have no need for sleep and just have a lot of plasma packs to cover nutrition.

But okay, it's totally up to the player to choose their play style. We can choose to make it difficult. I suppose that's cool :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I love vampires to bits in TS4. One thing that bugs me about them is that they don't sleep in their coffins for long enough, more often than not I put my vampires to sleep and a few seconds later they wake up but their energy bars have hardly refilled. I guess it's a bug of some kind but I don't know.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    @halloweenchild Have you made sure they don't have the perk 'Fitful Sleep'? Because if they have that, they will wake up too soon from having daymares.

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I love vampires to bits in TS4. One thing that bugs me about them is that they don't sleep in their coffins for long enough, more often than not I put my vampires to sleep and a few seconds later they wake up but their energy bars have hardly refilled. I guess it's a bug of some kind but I don't know.

Also if you choose hibernate instead of just sleep they will stay in their coffin until you wake them up.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I have some issue with vampires as well, but they are different.

First off, I dislike that they can be daywalkers. The distinction between a normal Sim and a vampire Sim becomes non-existent in this regard. Vampires are 100% night creatures in my book. I resent seeing Vladislaus Straud in a grub stall in San Myshuno at noon 'Come any, come all and buy my delicious noodles!'. What's up with that?

Secondly, I find they are way too easy to play after you pick just a few perks. So easy, that you start to ponder to only play daywalking vampire Sims who have no need for sleep and just have a lot of plasma packs to cover nutrition.

But okay, it's totally up to the player to choose their play style. We can choose to make it difficult. I suppose that's cool :)

If you don't want to see Vlad as a food stall vendor or a mixologist (where he usually shows up in my games) you can assign him a career; just go in and play him long enough to get him a job (I usually choose something like writer or painter which would suit someone who has to stay in during the day), then go into Manage Households and mark him as unplayed. That works with any of the vampires.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

Can anyone relate?

Maybe have your Vampire Sims have a hobby trait or two.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I've been playing Vampires this evening and my main issue with them is that they spawn outside like other Sims... even in daylight. I'm always having to save them from themselves if I don't want them to be sun-insenstiive. Also, I had to kick a Vampire out of his work club (he was a journalist, and the journalists would hang out at a bar together) because it kept spawning outside in daylight.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I love vampires in TS4. I don't really mind the other needs depleting slowly as thirst seems to drain very quickly for my vampire Sims, so tons of micromanagement there.
    The major thing that bothers me is that vampire Sims will stay out in the sun and burn up, like they won't save themselves. I've lost quite a few vamps that come home from work and stand out in the sun & don't come into the house...by the time I catch it...they're dead.
    I've cured almost all of my vampires recently except for two kids. Honestly, I feel five are too many weaknesses out of the ones we can pick. If you'd like your vamp to function in a household, many of the weaknesses are a bother. And if you pick the least problematic ones, you end up with duplicate vampire types. That's bad for story reasons. I don't know about other Simmers, but even if I don't write up a story, I have one going in my head as I play.

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited June 2018
    I love the vampires this time around (Sims 4)! :smile: I love that they can be daywalkers and I enjoy getting their spells and having them feed and such. (I usually dislike playing the vegetarian types of vamps with the fake drinks.)

I’m not sure if this was fixed around Parenthood time, but some vamps stand in the sun and don’t save themselves. This includes my own sims when I return to the house and they spawn in a sunny area. (And then they kind of take a while to react, lol.)

A few flaws are a little annoying, but I love the powers concept. :smile:

I miss the biting neck animation, though...

Still, vamps are cool.

I’m waiting for another one of my fave supernaturals: the werewolf! :blush:
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't play vampires that much, and often don't like playing them unless they have become daywalkers xD so it's funny to see how people who play differently don't like that life can be too "easy" for them. I currently only have one vampire, who became one because his family dabbles in curses and myths. I got him to the point of finding the cure and he now only needs to complete the good vampire aspiration before being allowed to use it. But in the meantime, because he has kids and two dogs, I needed him to be a daywalker, so he could help take care of everyone and get some gardening done during the day. I figured out that one daywalker vampire parent is actually a super parent, who's unimaginably useful to have around :D while Mom needs to catch some sleep after uncovering and authenticating artifacts all day for the museum, dad can easily manage a couple of days of helping around the house & can meditate in between to keep going longer if need be. And when mom's up and not currently working and getting in some time with the kids, he can go off to hibernate in his coffin, then still hang out with everyone after in the evening ^^ so yes, because he's got it "easy" I enjoy having him around, since 1 toddler, 1 kid and two active/adventurous dogs take a lot of micromanaging and it's nice not having to worry that he'll be too depleted to make dinner by 5.30 pm :D
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    What annoys me is the options to hunt a vampire is basically non existent playing a vampire is not fun having a Sim that can hunt them is which is a large part of vampire lore and with a pack called Vampires it should be there.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"