Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just a quick CAW question

06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
I've been working on a world and I was wondering if I could place all the lots and details like trees and stuff in EIG or should that be done in CAW?

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited May 2018
    I would place all the plants in CAW. I think it's better placement per view and it places the plants into the ground and not floating on it- as I remember World Editor does.

I'd also place some lots in CAW because you can make sure the lots are actually up against the roads. You'll also have to add addresses and any additional costs of lots and maybe beautiful vista buffs to some.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    @Rflong7

Ahhh okay thank you. <3 I never even thought about addresses. Does the extra cost make it more expensive than it would normally for that size lot?

Also now that I have you, do you think it will cause camera issues to have a mountain range around a farming area?
    You can make it cheaper or more expensive. This price will always be added to the lot cost. :)

It can cause some problems but it depends on how high the mountains and how close to the lots; which will cause the camera to bump up.... :)
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    You can make it cheaper or more expensive. This price will always be added to the lot cost. :)

It can cause some problems but it depends on how high the mountains and how close to the lots; which will cause the camera to bump up.... :)

Thanks again. They aren't very high but I did want to add the lots closer to them. I guess I'll have to test that in game to see if it is problematic.

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I found adding lots in CAW tends to be a problem unless it's just a dive lot or a park as they can end up facing the wrong way when placed in CAW and I've seen it in worlds others created where the lot was backwards.I'd either place very few lot or place them in a game after the world is exported from CAW as I've done with Logan which had no lots in new games and I added them in saves.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I found adding lots in CAW tends to be a problem unless it's just a dive lot or a park as they can end up facing the wrong way when placed in CAW and I've seen it in worlds others created where the lot was backwards.I'd either place very few lot or place them in a game after the world is exported from CAW as I've done with Logan which had no lots in new games and I added them in saves.

Thanks. ^^ oh so that's how the wrong way around lot thing happens. I am fine placing the 64x64 lots in caw but the other I want to place in game just because it's so hard to get the sizing right in caw.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use an add any lot size Mod to place them in the game and I rarely place them in CAW because it's caused the known issue with lots facing the wrong way and that Mod allows you to add more sizes in the game if yournfirst sizing choice refused to place.I can have a 60x60 lot when the bigger 64x64 won't place as an alternative instead of going to 50x50.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    edited May 2018
    You will notice that size shows in the bottom right of the screen as you drag out the lot. (turn the grid on- on the top tool bar)

EIG allows for changing front of lot.

You can rotate the lots after placing- there is a marker for the front corner of the lot. Not all lots are built on the front or if building on the placed lot, it doesn't matter because you make it the front and it place front to that lot. :)

There is also a copy lot tool in CAW which let's you copy an unaltered lot, if you have a few of the same size to place in a row. :)

It's not hard and it seem people make it harder than it really is. I think it's harder to place in game and then have to check in CAW to make sure they're up against the road or in the correct layer. Then add buffs and addresses... imo.

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited May 2018
    What's the big deal about which direction vacant lots are placed in? All you have to do is rotate the lot you're putting on one as you place it in Edit In Game or in the game itself. Then if you want to make sure the front of the lot is correctly designated, just ctrl+shift+click on the front of the lot and choose to make it the front of the lot. The last thing I do in Edit In Game once I'm finished there for the last time, is to go to each lot and set the front of the lot and the front door. I do that for both residential and community lots, and I do all of them, even if I've done some before, so I can be certain not to miss any.

It's a whole lot better to take that little bit of extra time in Edit In Game than to try to get the World Editor to cooperate at placing lots where you want them. Sometimes I really hate the World Editor.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    You will notice that size shows in the bottom right of the screen as you drag out the lot. (turn the grid on- on the top tool bar)

EIG allows for changing front of lot.

You can rotate the lots after placing- there is a marker for the front corner of the lot. Not all lots are built on the front or if building on the placed lot, it doesn't matter because you make it the front and it place front to that lot. :)

There is also a copy lot tool in CAW which let's you copy an unaltered lot, if you have a few of the same size to place in a row. :)

It's not hard and it seem people make it harder than it really is. I think it's harder to place in game and then have to check in CAW to make sure they're up against the road or in the correct layer. Then add buffs and addresses... imo.

Ahh that's really helpful. Thanks.

I didn't even notice it showed while you were creating the lot and that was my problem trying to blindly create a 40x40 lot. That should help a ton ^^