March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Medieval and Windows 10

Hi, I have disk versions of both Sims Medieval and its expansion and both were purchased at release. The game runs on my Windows 7 desktop but I tried installing them on my new Windows 10 laptop and it won't run. Plus I'm afraid that if (when) I purchase another Windows 10 computer the same thing will happen. What do I do? Thanks.
jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

Comments

• aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    I bought it on Steam and redeemed the codes for both base game and DLC. I looked for updates and then played it just fine on Windows 10. Mods work just fine too. No crashing. Make sure its up to date, older version of the game I think is incompatible with Windows 10 or something.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited February 2016
    So @aws200 I have to rebuy it on Steam for my Windows 10 laptop? I was afraid of that, thanks.

There's a note on the Steam site -
    This game only works with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, with the latest Service Pack
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• artisticquirkartisticquirk Posts: 1 New Member
    @venusdemilosims Did you get TSM to work on Windows 10? I'm facing the same issue and am curious if I, too, have to repurchase on Steam.
  • DawnyDaviauDawnyDaviau Posts: 10 New Member
    I'd contact EA Support and explain, they might be able to help you out. Seems a bit odd you have to re-buy the game again. They may give you a new key so you can download it, providing you still have the invoice and the key!
  • KlewbossKlewboss Posts: 58 Member
    So I had an issues like this, after hours digging around I found out something with the latest up-to-date version of the disc copy of TSM would not allow the game to actually open. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game (not updating it) and it played. Unfortunately i had to uninstall it again because my laptops dvd drive wasn't stable and had problems running any disc. So I just recently purchased the deluxe version on origin, got the pirates a nobles pack so not a waste in my opinion. Runs better and loads a lot better than m old disc, so there obviously some what is it... some remastering that append.
    Petition for honesty from EA on subjects like Toddlers, CASt, Open World, Story Progression, OLYMPUS, etc... http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/844877/petition-for-honesty-and-official-word-from-ea-on-toddlers-story-progression-cast-open-world-etc?new=1
  • rainesrandirainesrandi Posts: 47 Member
    I had trouble playing my game on my laptop and called EA and they helped me get it working. I bought the game when it came out and then got into 3, at that time I was running 7 on a desktop, then moved to a win 8 on my laptop, once EA fixed a problem on their side it ran fine. Now running 10 and all the games.
    GrandiSunshine
  • mikeslovemikeslove Posts: 74 Member
    I was having trouble running it on Win 10, too. I went into Origin and put in my product code and was able to convert them to a digital download. They run perfectly.
    Happily Simming since 2008.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    mikeslove wrote: »
    I was having trouble running it on Win 10, too. I went into Origin and put in my product code and was able to convert them to a digital download. They run perfectly.

@mikeslove - how did you go about doing this, if you don't mind my asking? I too cannot run TSM on my new Windows 10 PC and would dearly love to be able to do so.
  • mikeslovemikeslove Posts: 74 Member

@mikeslove - how did you go about doing this, if you don't mind my asking? I too cannot run TSM on my new Windows 10 PC and would dearly love to be able to do so.

Go into Origin and under the Origin menu at the top, click on "Redeem Product Code". You enter the code from your physical copy there and it will turn it into a digital copy. It takes forever to download but the game runs perfectly.
    Happily Simming since 2008.

Go into Origin and under the Origin menu at the top, click on "Redeem Product Code". You enter the code from your physical copy there and it will turn it into a digital copy. It takes forever to download but the game runs perfectly.

Thanks very much!
  • allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    Yeah for some reason TSM doesn't like Windows 10. I have both through origin (but if you have the disk you can register your product code like they said above ^^) and so I had to uninstall and re-download it. Only thing that sucked was that despite having backed up my game files I had to unlock all the ambitions AGAIN so basically I just started fresh.
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
    Yeah for some reason TSM doesn't like Windows 10. I have both through origin (but if you have the disk you can register your product code like they said above ^^) and so I had to uninstall and re-download it. Only thing that sucked was that despite having backed up my game files I had to unlock all the ambitions AGAIN so basically I just started fresh.

Yeah, I was able to register the code on Origin via the Sims 3 website and redownload it all. Works fine so far :)
  • JuliaStein86JuliaStein86 Posts: 14 New Member
    I have installed Windows 10 and want to continue playing Sims Medieval and don't know yet is ti possible?
    I have installed Windows 10 and want to continue playing Sims Medieval and don't know yet is ti possible?

If you already have a disk version of TSM that's not installed, you can regsiter the game on the Sims 3 website (with the registration code that came with your disk) and then download the digital version via Origin.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,331 Member
    I just tried to register my physical copy via Origin (which doesn't work, but the registration page provided the link to the correct website just fine, so no complaint from me). But after registrating the site gave my a scare by saying "You have registered your Sims 3 game, accompanied by a picture of the Sims 3 basegame (which I already had registered)! Reloading Origin then revealed that Sims Medieval was registered correctly and it is now in the process of downloading. Phew.
  • Riri_LittleredRiri_Littlered Posts: 1 New Member
    Unfortunately I had already registered it on another account for the Sims 3 site that I do not remember the info for. What do I do?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Origin has combined both of the packs into one. I found this when "updating" it on Origin and it took a long time to completely download the combined pack. Not sure if you will get that if you only bought the first one, or if it is a freebie, now they have stopped producing new packs.
  • PaprikaPaulaPaprikaPaula Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey guys. =)
    I'm playing TSM on Windows 10 on my laptop. And now I've got a problem. When I play the game and try to minimize the game, the whole computer freezes and I can't do anything. No Task Manager or anything.

Anybody able to help?
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    DVD versions of The Sims Medieval do not work on Windows 8 or 10 (I think it's due to the copy protection used in TSM), you must use the Origin version of The Sims Medieval although be advised that the Origin release includes the Origin sign-in requirement much like The Sims 4 and The Sims 3 1.69.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Renamed2501181205Renamed2501181205 Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having issues understanding how to play my physical copy of TSM on Windows 10 (Since EA is operated and run by a bunch of knuckle dragging 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and can't cooperate with Win 10). Can I download my physical copy through Origin and have it play? If so, how? Do I have to re-purchase a digital copy of the game because EA are money grubbing retards? I've already "registered" my game through the steaming refuse that is Sims3.com but don't know what to do beyond that. I (unfortunately) have Origin installed on my computer, do I do it through that? Can I use Steam instead (since they're not 🐸🐸🐸🐸 🐸🐸🐸🐸). What exactly am I supposed to do to get this game (which I've already purchased from these people) to work. Any help would be appreciated (so long as it's actual help, which EA doesn't seem to offer).
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hey guys. =)
    I'm playing TSM on Windows 10 on my laptop. And now I've got a problem. When I play the game and try to minimize the game, the whole computer freezes and I can't do anything. No Task Manager or anything.

Anybody able to help?

You might have to set the resolution of TSM to the default resolution for the game, to keep it from freezing up like that in Windows 10. 1024x768
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited December 2017
    The game doesn't freeze up on my PC. I run it on resolution 1920 X 1080.
  • WitchirisWitchiris Posts: 67 Member
    @ PaprikaPaula, I don't know if it'll help or not but change the frame rate to the lowest setting on the game settings.. Also change the graphics setting to lowest.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    I run into some trouble installing TS3 on my Windows 10 computer: a notification about not recognizing my graphic cards. So after some searching I found this YouTube film about how to edit certain files so the game would recognize my graphic card. This worked. I also made sure to limit the fps in the conf. settings of my NVIDIA card (another tip I read somewhere).

I already went digital with my Sims Medieval DVD when the game was not running after installing it from DVD. But also with this game I got the notification it was not recognizing my graphic card. Even though I can seem to play it, I'm not that comfortable doing so as long as I haven't address that notification.

So my question is, anyone else had this notification?
    Did, and if so how, you resolve this?
    Any idea if it's a good idea to apply the YouTube film I just referred to, to the Medieval files?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited May 2018
    @SimLibby what graphics card do you have? TS3 has no fps limiter. If you have a good graphics card you need to use an fps limiter. @igazor can give you instructions depending on if you have Nvidia or Amd . What patch are you on for TS3? 1.67 or 1.69?

Same rules may apply to Medieval but I'm not sure. Maybe igazor knows