Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Just a small update. I'm still waiting for my hospital date! I did manage some time on my project this week but I have nothing new to bring to the thread yet. The harbour area is still proving difficult to landscape. Any tips on making decent slopes would be appreciated. The harbour area will eventually be divided into two lots. The larger will have visitors allowed because I thought it would be nice for my sims to moor boats. The other, much smaller lot will be the harbour master's office. No visitors allowed for that one, purely decorative. It is also becoming clear I shall have to fix the water level for Fenbury soon. I want to put some waves on to the beach and there is an area of the harbour where waves lapping against the sea wall will look good.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Having another reasonable day so decided to work on a major build. This will be the home of one of the prominent families of Fenbury. I had decided on a family name but realised it was a name involved in a serious fraud case. As the father of the family earned his fortune in shady deals I concluded it better to use something else. Anyway I digress.

Some of you may remember I showed pics of River View Road. Well this property is at the end of this road. It is ultra modern which might seem out of place, except for a bet made me by hubby following an architectural programme we watched and the fact the father of this family would want to stand out from the crowd.
    aDtgknV.png

2SCVDat.png

The aim of the design is free flowing space, so the main living floor has no interior walls, with the bedrooms and kitchen in side wings. The master suite has it's own floor. I could add more architectural guff about the blue portals and picture windows but honestly all I wanted was a contrast to the stark white.

dbWARhK.png

Obviously it is a wip and will look a lot better once there is landscaping. The interior will wait until I export Fenbury and can safely use my store content.

Two final things to note. EIG does not like the glass floor tile from ITF. I love to use this for glass roofing but every time I do EIG crashes.

Secondly I am running out of ideas about how to deal with this

d41UOyY.png
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Hi @Bettyboop55 :)
    I recently came across a thread that addressed a similar problem. I'm not sure if the cheat works in CAW or just when editing world/lot in game;
    forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934514/sims-3-and-things/p1

It's the 21st post down with an instructional video. Hope this helps.
    Hello @Odonata68 the whole thread looks interesting :) Thank you for providing the link. Next time I am near my laptop I will give the cheat a go. I have several lots like this and as it says in the video it is better not to upset the routing.

Sim enim est vita
    I have left the problem of uneven terrain until after my trip to hospital (currently postponed due to a fire at the hospital, I kid you not). So I have spent the last few days tackling the thorny issue of Fenbury harbour. I also took the opportunity to do more work on the Tudor area and Queens Square.

D8m5JVi.png

It's amazing how much better things look with just the terrain painted and some hedges put in. The actual lots themselves need work but this can't really be done until I have exported Fenbury and reinstalled all my store content.

e0kYVug.png

All I have added here are a few lights which I found in CAW game objects. The view is of the business offices of Hinge and Brackett. I bet nobody gets that reference :) Still undecided about the terrain paint to use for the paving between the lots.

z4B7F0j.png

My main problem with the harbour is cutting a slope down to sea level. As is obvious it is very much a work in progress and I have taken the opportunity to redo the Captain's House by smoothing the very uneven terrain at the top of the slope.

qp3c78u.png

A bit of landscaping is helping me keep a sense of proportion. I shall probably put some parking spaces behind the palms at the top of the slope. There is also further fencing to be put in so the sims can travel safely up and down the slope without standing there squawking because their way is impeded by rocks.

1EAs5eq.png

Does anyone remember the film The French Lieutenant's Woman? Well I wanted a quayside for Fenbury Harbour and more by luck than skill managed to fashion one out of the natural rock. It does look much at the moment but with the Harbour Master's Office still to go in, fencing, signs and lighting it will eventually look more like a modernish quayside.

Sim enim est vita
    At the risk of boring people I shall harbour on :) For weeks I have puzzled about the design of this area and today things seem to come together better. So here are two more pics.

lq5Czvz.png

YgYVZcV.png

I am so pleased to have the Captain's house back in situ and looking considerably more level than the first time. As for what will go beyond the harbour, well that will be the church of St Martyn's. Then I plan some judicious pruning to reduce the size of the island part of Fenbury.

Sim enim est vita
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    A small update.

sFIsheU.png
    EpXzYyJ.png
    vJzvD2z.png

Sim enim est vita
    edited June 2018
    Another small update. I spent most of yesterday sorting out the Graveyard. This proved more fun than I thought it would be as I got to grips with buydebug for the first time. Even so I was unable to find a small flag to go on top of the church tower without using MOO and I would love to find a small wooden sign for the church noticeboard. Most of the churches over here don't go in for neon signs.

TiIClhR.png

The more observant will notice I have toned down the stonework. The basic church design is based on the church I got married in which is most definitely Saxon. The stone is therefore very weathered Cotswold stone. I am assuming with Fenbury church however that both the Normans and Victorians have fiddled with the architecture, hence the big window and the decoration on the church tower.

I wanted to create a sense of repose and continuity. Although with the lighthouse so close I doubt anyone will be getting much sleep :D
    tbBBkzC.png

The other thing I have been working on is the landscaping. Mainly colouring in around the lighthouse and cliffs. As mentioned I have reduced the size of Fenbury island but this means more green to be covered up. The buildings in the distance are plebs corner.
    s8vMhWE.png

This next pic shows Fenbury castle ruins in the distance. By including the Lighthouse I will need to rethink the castle ruins as both the ruins and the lighthouse will act as focal points along the frontage of the world. With the river and bridge as the "middle".

SN3Pk9W.png

One last thing. My op has been postponed until September pending further tests. I shall continue to do what I can with CAW but there are no guarantees on progress at this point.

Sim enim est vita
    Not much to talk about this week as real life has got in the way. I have made a little progress but not the kind of things which can be shown in pictures. The plot for my hospital, and indeed the hospital itself, are now in game. I have been doing some landscaping and work on the pond which is part of Fenbury Green. One thing I have enjoyed is placing some effects. So I have been making waves, literally and there is now some seagulls to be seen by the lighthouse. More pics hopefully next week.

Sim enim est vita
    I've gone back to building for a bit of a change. Based on some buildings I saw in Clifton, Bristol I have created Cherry Tree Terrace. What makes these buildings different is the raised pavement. In RL the raised pavement sits over the extended basement. I reasoned the only way to reproduce this accurately would be beyond my building skills so I have used the foundation tool only.

Cherry Tree Terrace is close to Queens' Square. One of the pictures of it is taken from the Square. As always it is a work in progress, although I am pleased with the effect of the landscaping which definitely softens the architecture.

YgojTSC.png

Y1XX2Tj.png

MWe1PI1.png

Sim enim est vita
    More building this week.

5EWCkam.png

This is an early pic of the Memorial Gardens. After WW1 I am going to assume the good burgers of Fenbury wanted to remember their lost fathers and sons in some style. Some small places in the UK suffered huge losses. So Fenbury will have a Memorial Hospital, Memorial Cricket Ground and Memorial Gardens. Much as I dislike cricket as a sport, it was either a cricket ground or a memorial football stadium. I dislike cricket only marginally less than British football :D:D In terms of location the Memorial Gardens are next to the Town Hall. That will make it easier for the Remembrance Day ceremony.

Sim enim est vita
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    What a lovely idea! It looks beautiful!
    KhemKat19 wrote: »
    What a lovely idea! It looks beautiful!

Thank you :)

Sim enim est vita
    I wanted to show what I am currently working on, which is the area around the town hall. For Fenbury I did not want something old or ultra modern so the story goes the original town hall was hit by a stray bomb during WW2. Surprisingly nothing around it was damaged, although the theatre did have all it's windows replaced. This has allowed me to consider a Roman villa style but having got the basics down I think it lacks something so I may rethink the wall textures.

I am also having issues with the flagpoles (no joke). I could not find them in buydebug so resorted to adding them by using objects in CAW and going to a different layer. Sadly I seem unable to move them far enough on to the lot. I also need to redo the steps.

There will be no update next weekend. RL has once again got in the way.

PZ6gfVj.png

jDKNiZx.png

j39VHbh.png

FNfDE9y.png

The poor theatre! It will look much better when the landscaping is in place and I have found a unifying terrain paint for all three lots, the Memorial Gardens, Town Hall and Theatre.

Sim enim est vita
    5mnfUHb.png

560p8qv.png

QyJZHRZ.png

ONlkvTH.png

I just couldn't leave the theatre as it was. It would bug me not being able to fix it next weekend so I have done what I can in the last couple of days. I think it looks better with the change of windows and some landscaping in place. The lighting was fun even if I managed to miss two of the outside lights.

Sim enim est vita
    Despite RL I managed to find time to do some more building, using EIG.

VdzcbUv.png
    Day Spa. This is still a WIP.

1iOW5Hg.png

vFzToUO.png

I sorted out the lighting for the Memorial Garden and Town Hall

BwAOaMj.png

99ciQgy.png

x8I6wI6.png

Finally I imported the Gym and did some further revision.

iYJ9Co3.png

SZwyG7R.png

3oRpvC9.png

AgBE1Ao.png

Now I must go rest my badly bruised wrist.

Sim enim est vita
    RgaPGEO.png

This is one of the two lots I have been working on this week. A few weeks ago I mentioned that the castle ruins would require some work in order to provide a counterpoint to the lighthouse which I had just finished landscaping. Well I finally felt ready to work on that area this week and the first thing was to complete the landscaping. This I did only to have CAW crash on me and corrupt the file. I lost a whole morning's work but it was partly my own fault, I should have saved more regularly.

Once I got the landscaping redone I then tackled the building of the castle ruins, only to discover that I needed the MOO cheat in order to use the castle kit. This is one cheat I don't use any more because it does funny things to the game so I have my fingers crossed because I really don't fancy a game or CAW reinstall at the moment. I also think the colour of the stonework is too light but the thought of individually recolouring each individual piece at this stage is a no go.

Hopefully I will be able to post some more pics early next week but RL must come first this weekend :)

Sim enim est vita
    Woke up this morning and felt lousy so rather than going out I have spent the day working on Fenbury. A mixture of building and landscaping today. The problems last week have set me back a little so what I am about to show you is very much WIP.

I have scrapped Fenbury Hall. Both the building and the position of the lot felt awkward. There were issues with flattening the terrain as well. So I spent some sorting out the terrain and then moved the lot closer to the cliff tops. The actual building was inspired by Dorney Court in Berkshire.

yEWmbYm.png

FufgYgf.png

wILdx0u.png

The hall interior is double height, except for a gallery which allows access to both wings of the house. I was going to use a stone floor but I found this patterned wood. The only thing lacking is ceiling tiles, but I really never got the hang of using those.

I did some further work around the Castle Ruins today.

iTAecHR.png

5AJRCWo.png

N65xFmI.png

Finally for good measure I added a waterfall.

XgvwoQ0.png

ATqv2NK.png

Sim enim est vita
    A mixture of landscaping and house building this week. I know now I have an awful lot of terrain painting of rocks and sand to do. A lesson for the next world I create. Anyway as I thought the use of MOO last week has resulted in EIG being a pain. I had real problems placing a staircase in the Dower House I have created.

The UK is surrounded by the wrecks of ships. One of the problems with being a sea going nation from early times. Occasionally really bad storms throw up parts of these wrecks or expose them after years in the sand. Not unsurprisingly then it has happened off the coast of Fenbury. I think it is safe to ignore the fact it is a Chinese junk :D The selection of game objects is non existent.

m5NWJLE.png

MlzT4py.png

Most aristocratic houses had an associated Dower house. Very few wives would have wanted the Mother In Law about the place once her husband inherited the title. It was a way the old Lord had of ensuring his widow had a roof over her head. Many of these houses sat within the grounds of the main house and survived when so many more lordly establishments were pulled down in the 1950s and 60s. My old 6th form house was a Georgian House, Grade II listed. And yes it was haunted. Sadly the owners could not afford to maintain it and it was declared unsafe for use. It has been allowed to decay still further.

This one is Georgian and based on some images of Dower Houses I have seen for sale. It has been nicely maintained over the years and is to be inhabited by Lord Fenbury's younger brother and his family.

EGEQK16.png

sMSp8Rp.png

KI4BXNW.png

I assume the castle walls have not properly rendered because I have used the Castle Kit rather than the wall building tool.

VBKFrCe.png

As always there is still considerable work to do but I have plenty of time before my surgery which is scheduled now for Sept.

Sim enim est vita
    Willow Tree Lane with Queens Square

ZTN2Tt0.png

ccqgHAU.png

O2zpXrA.png

Sim enim est vita
    The final side of Queens Square, the beginnings of Birch Tree Lane. As for the Victorian cottage, again it is based on an image found on line. I am hopeless at cottages, so the brickwork needs sorting out and those wretched chimneys.

QKCsqg7.png

iczJJWY.png

Sim enim est vita
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    The houses on Willow Tree Lane are stunning! You're such a talented builder :)

I'm so sorry to hear you have to have surgery, that's never fun :/ you're in my thoughts and prayers! <3
    @KhemKat19 thank you :)

This is what I have been working on today. I seem to be having tremendous trouble with the colour of the brickwork but on the whole I think the cottage is looking a bit better.

BctiOiV.png

IU50uYZ.png

l2TRTv5.png

Sim enim est vita
    I spent today finishing off the outside of two lots in Birch Tree Lane. The larger lot is in high Victorian. It is not a style I usually go for as it is far too fussy. However a town like Fenbury would have these houses. There is a beautiful example on the outskirts of Salisbury which I used to pass regularly on journeys to my grandparents. In the garden of my lot I have concentrated on creating a herbaceous border. Not easy given the choice of plants and shrubs available. These borders used to be of great fascination to the British and of course in Victorian new plants were coming in from all over the globe. The ideal setting for a herbaceous border is by a brick wall, the heat from the bricks helping to keep the more tender plants warm. Anyway enough of the Gardener's world bit.

C8Mpink.png

RiG1qiT.png

And finally the cottage. I have changed the brickwork yet again and abandoned the idea of chimneys. I suspect if I used cheats I could get the right height chimney for a single story building but I really don't want to use cheats anymore than I have to.

2diW87W.png

Anyway that brings the work to the area round Queens Square to a close for now. I am taking the weekend off to decide what to tackle next.

Sim enim est vita