Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 resolution stuck in 800x600

BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 2
Hi,
So the problem started yesterday after I installed new memory in my laptop. The game had all resolutions but when I launched it twice today I had it was stuck in 800x600 and the was the only resolution listed. I uninstalled all the packs including the base game and reinstalled them only to end up with the same resolution.

My system is a win 10 64 bit and Graphics card is AMD HD Radeon 8400/R3 series I've checked my graphics settings and everything is fine it's just graphics via game. Also I do not use origin when playing TS2. I have them on Disc.

Edit: The game was fine yesterday until installing the new memory.
Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

Comments

• M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    Hmm, it might have to do with that your graphics card is so new that the game doesn't recognise it and automatically assumes the lowest graphic settings. You might want to search for the graphic rules maker to fix things.
    Banner.png
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hmm, it might have to do with that your graphics card is so new that the game doesn't recognise it and automatically assumes the lowest graphic settings. You might want to search for the graphic rules maker to fix things.

Thanks for your response.
    I looked up the program but don't feel like downloading another 3rd party program since I already have SimPe and grumpy loader (For the updates), I also read about changing the settings themselves in the config graphics files and would have to do it for every one of the packs (Which I did). When I tried that after reading SimVip it wouldn't let me save it. I backed up all the con files and after that it still wouldn't let me save it. The graphics settings were still at 800 x 600 resolution.

I also saw I would had to downlad note++ with graphic rules maker too.

Edit: I forgot to mention how I got all the resolutions the first time was opening Simpe and body shop prior to loading the game when first installing it on my new laptop.

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Also make sure that the game is picking up your graphics card. You will have to add it by hand. All manual edit instructions are here.

http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212
    edited April 2018
    @JULES1111 Thank you. I'll try this after I run the game again. My pc was down due to a software failure from an update.

edited April 2018
    Sorry double post.

@JULES1111 Thank you again. I got the game to run normally with full screen and edge smoothing once again. I used notepad++ and also had to change setb texturememorysize from false to true to get the edge smoothing back. Did not have to use graphic rules maker thankfully.

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    Sorry double post.

@JULES1111 Thank you again. I got the game to run normally with full screen and edge smoothing once again. I used notepad++ and also had to change setb texturememorysize from false to true to get the edge smoothing back. Did not have to use graphic rules maker thankfully.

Glad you got it all working again. The graphic rules maker just automatically (sometimes) does these changes. So if you don't mind doing them by hand you don't need the graphic rules maker.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    edited April 2018
    *Glad you got it working but Yeah, GRM is a simple thing to help people who don't want or can't make the changes to the graphics files. It doesn't even have to stay installed and it's nothing like SimPE which edits so much more. :)
    I used the old notepad (no ++) to change it way before the graphics rules maker was made. I'm really glad it was made, so much better for me.
    I can see you don't mind CC so a simple file editor... I don't get it but you be you. :cookie:
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    BMSO wrote: »
    Sorry double post.

Glad you got it all working again. The graphic rules maker just automatically (sometimes) does these changes. So if you don't mind doing them by hand you don't need the graphic rules maker.

It wasn't that hard to edit just mostly just changing scripting.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    *Glad you got it working but Yeah, GRM is a simple thing to help people who don't want or can't make the changes to the graphics files. It doesn't even have to stay installed and it's nothing like SimPE which edits so much more. :)
    I used the old notepad (no ++) to change it way before the graphics rules maker was made. I'm really glad it was made, so much better for me.
    I can see you don't mind CC so a simple file editor... I don't get it but you be you. :cookie:

I may use it next time if I ever have to re-install TS2 which I may have to this weekend. had to re order Apartment life.

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    Since you edited the files and they work well, why not save them so you don't have to edit them again? :)
    I always forgot to save my graphics file edits back in the day. :lol:
  • JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    Hey I hope this finds you! I went though the steps and when I went to save the game it told me I did not have permission
    @JSimmy If I were you I would have used notepad++ it allows you to edit them as administrator or you can just use the graphics rules maker so you don't have to edit the files it does it for you.

• WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I had this issue when I tried to play The Sims Life Stories on my no-name (generic) desktop using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 which seems to be a result of the game not detecting the card correctly. I also had the black box bug on The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories as well (probably a Windows 10 issue).

I know some games such as The Sims 2 Double Deluxe, The Sims 2 Seasons, and The Sims Castaway Stories can lock their resolution to 800x600 if the game is played on an older card even if the older game (e.g., The Sims 2 Pets) hadn't experienced that issue. I had an eMachines with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE which worked in The Sims 2 Pets (I was able to change the resolution) but not in The Sims 2 Seasons (I was stuck on 800x600).
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I had this issue when I tried to play The Sims Life Stories on my no-name (generic) desktop using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 which seems to be a result of the game not detecting the card correctly. I also had the black box bug on The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories as well (probably a Windows 10 issue).

I know some games such as The Sims 2 Double Deluxe, The Sims 2 Seasons, and The Sims Castaway Stories can lock their resolution to 800x600 if the game is played on an older card even if the older game (e.g., The Sims 2 Pets) hadn't experienced that issue. I had an eMachines with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE which worked in The Sims 2 Pets (I was able to change the resolution) but not in The Sims 2 Seasons (I was stuck on 800x600).

Black box is a graphics card issue. I've got that issue and I'm on Windows 7. I mod the black box issue out.

Seasons and Pets increased the minimum requirements so cards that once were good enough to have settings above minimum became unable to have settings above minimum.

Base game had a set. Then Pets came out and raised it. Then Seasons came out and raised it again.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    I know this thread is old, but I installed the sims 2 holiday edition on my pc and some of the options in the performance menu were grey’d out. Are you all saying that all I need to do is download GRM and my problem will be solved ?