Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Gaming Computer Should I Look For That Can Handle 2-3 Generations Of Sims?

2...Next

Comments

• Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2018
    Holy smokes! This forum blew up overnight. :D

Okay now I'm going to try and address the more important things rather than reply to everyone... as I said, I'm not too concerned about prices because I'm patient enough to wait months saving up for it. I'm not in a hurry to get it. But by 10 grand I mean't I'm not paying for something that expensive or anywhere close. The highest I'd consider paying for is around $4500 Canadian dollars since you've thrown around some potential prices. Again, I'm not a computer expert and ended up exaggerating the price I won't pay for thinking the cheapest kind would still be really expensive. Sorry. :grimace:

I'm also in Canada, British Columbia, in a location where a few of the stores you guys have mentioned are some hours away (although I do plan on going to Vancouver in the summer to visit my great-grandma.) I'm also not much of a gamer either, with Sims being the only real computer game I have, so I probably won't need a computer that's made for the really heavy stuff. And from the sounds of it a custom/built computer is the best way to go rather than off-the-shelf. However I've gotten all my laptops off-the-shelf so I won't have any clue what I'm going to get into with custom/built computers and their parts I'd have to choose from (is there a difference between custom and built computers or are they the same thing?)

Also, just so we're on the same page for desktops or laptops, I've gotten the impression before that a desktop would fair better in terms of space? I tend to have alot of files and some pictures, along with the occasional videos, saved onto my laptop and I know that fills up quite a bit of space. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a desktop or laptop but I'm really interested in one that can handle alot of space because of that.

Hopefully now I've covered all the confusing topics... thanks alot for the replies and everything!
    Post edited by Kay8Orange on
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You don't need to spend that kind of money for the sims on a computer. Custom is better than off the shelf. Desktop is always better for gaming. Laptop is a throw away computer. Desktops can be upgraded or hardware switched out. As far as space get, larger hard drives . @chesterbigbird is a desktop build expert and can help you get a desktop to suit your needs . For your needs you need an intel i5 processor, 1060 card, 16 gb ram and larger hard drives.
    @phoebebebe13 Okay good! :smiley: Thanks again for the reply.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited May 2018
    Memory Express opened a new location in Vancouver but they also have a few locations in British Columbia I believe.

I'm not in Canada but I follow a popular Canadian YouTube tech channel and they recently did a video on Memory Express. Check it out here:
    https://youtu.be/uu7xmjs-dCA

If you can make it to one of their locations, they have the resources to help you shop and even put together something. What phoebebe posted for parts is a good guideline to shop for.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited May 2018
    I always buy my PC desktop every couple years or so, always tailored to play the Sims.

The last one I bought 4 years back and I just googled "best gaming PC rigs", gave the specs to the local tech and he built it. It's huge, really good, runs the game beautifully and since I'm still playing Sims 3, I haven't had to replace it yet. (if Sims 5 comes out, maybe then).
  • kimieswildroseskimieswildroses Posts: 116 Member
    You can also go to the Dell website scroll down to the bottom of the home page and click on Canada. You can build your own PC. I have a dell that i built on their website and it didn't cost me an arm and leg.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Kay8Orange wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 Okay good! :smiley: Thanks again for the reply.

Your welcome. I sent you a PM since chester did not get my page.

I also would not recommend Dell as stated above. They are very hard to upgrade. They use generic hardware. You want certified hardware with a good case that has good cooling, room or upgrades and switching out hardware.
    edited May 2018
    Thanks everyone. :smile: I really appreciate the help.