Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    Here for Coffee Hour and so excited! I love the Q&A so far! :)

Welcome, Kymber! :D
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    Jes2G wrote: »
    I'm a lot more relaxed and concerned about quality over quantity now. I don't just want to tell a story; I want to tell a good story. Good stories don't just happen, and now I'm willing to be patient and let it happen in its own time.

This!

That :grin:
    forum_final.png

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I'm a lot more relaxed and concerned about quality over quantity now. I don't just want to tell a story; I want to tell a good story. Good stories don't just happen, and now I'm willing to be patient and let it happen in its own time.

This!

i knew you would say that.
  • RosemaryMarieeRosemaryMariee Posts: 223 Member

This!

I agree :)

gen8-banner-landscape.png

Join the heirs as they tell their stories through diary entries in Noble Doubt!
    TS3/TS4/Origin ID: RosemaryMarie

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I have a question! Has anyone started back at the beginning of Season 1?? If so, what are your thoughts on our girl's first entrance to the story?

I'm joining late, and on mobile so finger-tied, but I wanted to pop in to say that I love how Juliana shows up in all the screenshots first! I was like , wait ! Who is that girl ? Could that be the Juliana we're discovering ?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    if kevin and juliana were friends why was he so afraid to tell her how he felt?

this might be something i asked privately once but ce ce wanted me to be a part of this.

Thanks for asking this question!

As a person who's been in that situation, I told a friend I was feeling them more than friendship. It didn't end in a relationship, but we're still friends. If anything, it removed that awkward tension that came up occasionally. I'm all for telling the friend! If the friendship is tight, you won't ruin it.

HUGE CAVEAT: It took me 8 years to do it, so... Keviana gets points for only taking 18 months.

HA! Yeah, I had a similar situation. I was extremely nervous to tell him. At the time, it was the hardest thing I had ever done! But, like you, telling him made me feel so much better. I wasn't even looking for him to reciprocate. I just wanted to get it off my chest! It took me a little less than a year to do it lol.

Impressive. I want to be like you when I grow up! You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser... At least, I want to be, haha.
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    Thanks to cece for pinging me...I haven’t reread anything but I think @Jes2G knows how much I adore Keviana. It hasn’t been about just Juliana’s growth, but Kevin had a lot to sort through before he was ready to move forward. I’m still waiting for more! Ugh...Three seasons of waiting. But so much has happened. Also another relationship that needs some serious love is Jillary...I just named it, I don’t think they had a ship name before now.

I love where the story is now. So a couple of questions for Jes....

1. How did you come up with the family that adopted Juliana? They are so complex. Still miss Harriett.

@Jes2G Don't answer this one yet! I'd like to keep it on ice for the main discussion if you don't mind... unless you really want to, then feel free! :p

I'd like to see what people think about the Humphries family at the beginning before we hear from Jes about that question. Even if you're not re-reading the story, what do you remember thinking about the family? I remember loving Harriett from jump, being slightly afraid of Harold. And I remember thinking Hillary was soooooo shallow and vapid. And I think Axel reminded me of my own brother, who can be kinda MIA from my family. I don't remember Rebecca from the earlier chapters.

I loved Harold from the beginning and was afraid of Harriett ! SO controlling! I really felt that Harold had this freezing sadness inside of him and I was hoping Juliana would thaw it. (I was actually expecting unrequited love, but what we got was way better ! )

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

i got used to seeing the name rosemarie i forgot she probably has real name. but i like both.

i talked about the story yesterday. :):)
    I have a question for everyone! Because we're discussing the beginning, did you have any predictions in the first season? It's hard to tell where a story will go in the beginning, but maybe there was something you hoped to see. Or, maybe you thought it would follow some trope?

All my predictions came true ! (Except for the weird unrequited love bit, but it was answered by a much healthier and better love!) I've shared with Jes how brilliant I think her first paragraph is because it all comes from there.

• RosemaryMarieeRosemaryMariee Posts: 223 Member

i got used to seeing the name rosemarie i forgot she probably has real name. but i like both.

LOL Thank you :)

gen8-banner-landscape.png

Join the heirs as they tell their stories through diary entries in Noble Doubt!
    TS3/TS4/Origin ID: RosemaryMarie

edited May 2018
    :):)

LOL Thank you :)

your welcome.
    Hmmm - you had me in a twist... I had no idea where it was all going. I thought maybe Juliana would be the great healer of their mixed up family. But instead it seemed she made things worse instead of better. I guess I had hoped she and Harold would have connected more. When we get one word out of him I wanna high five someone! And the part with the piano - I loved...

Interesting! In my mind she and Harold do connect, but their relationship doesn't look like a typical, happy friendship, you know? He doesn't say much, and neither does she, but they get each other. Actually, there's a chapter in the not so distance future where we'll get a reminder of how he feels about her. :smiley:

Gotta jump in on this one! I feel that Juliana IS the great healer of the family . .. it's just that healing is slow and backwards/forwards . Look where the family is now... much healthier ! Of course , grief is also a healer . ...

And Juliana , while in service as an angel , is really a very young woman who needs a lot of healing and growth of her own , which she has currently found!

CathyTea wrote: »
    I have a question! Has anyone started back at the beginning of Season 1?? If so, what are your thoughts on our girl's first entrance to the story?

I'm joining late, and on mobile so finger-tied, but I wanted to pop in to say that I love how Juliana shows up in all the screenshots first! I was like , wait ! Who is that girl ? Could that be the Juliana we're discovering ?

Oh that was so fun lol.
    forum_final.png

oh just in case i don't get back here after work i wanted to thank ce ce for the invite. i have this habit of knowing when things are then forgetting because life went nuts.

and everything i said about jes writing is true. i really do love it so i'm glad i didn't miss this.
    I have a question for everyone! Because we're discussing the beginning, did you have any predictions in the first season? It's hard to tell where a story will go in the beginning, but maybe there was something you hoped to see. Or, maybe you thought it would follow some trope?

All my predictions came true ! (Except for the weird unrequited love bit, but it was answered by a much healthier and better love!) I've shared with Jes how brilliant I think her first paragraph is because it all comes from there.

Wow, all of them? That's so cool. :smiley:
    forum_final.png

Good morning! Let's discuss Hillary today.

ObgReAG.jpg

Ooh! Yes, let's!

Hillary has been so many things to me over the seasons. Did anyone think she had the ability to step into her mother's shoes? Like, even the potential? I certainly didn't at first. She really surprised me.

Well, seeing how controlling her mom was , yes! I did think she had the potential ! I've seen it before . ... get the controlling one out of the picture , and the others often are freed to assume their natural roles.

Hmmm - you had me in a twist... I had no idea where it was all going. I thought maybe Juliana would be the great healer of their mixed up family. But instead it seemed she made things worse instead of better. I guess I had hoped she and Harold would have connected more. When we get one word out of him I wanna high five someone! And the part with the piano - I loved...

Interesting! In my mind she and Harold do connect, but their relationship doesn't look like a typical, happy friendship, you know? He doesn't say much, and neither does she, but they get each other. Actually, there's a chapter in the not so distance future where we'll get a reminder of how he feels about her. :smiley:

Gotta jump in on this one! I feel that Juliana IS the great healer of the family . .. it's just that healing is slow and backwards/forwards . Look where the family is now... much healthier ! Of course , grief is also a healer . ...

And Juliana , while in service as an angel , is really a very young woman who needs a lot of healing and growth of her own , which she has currently found!

It's funny you say this. Someone who reads the story but is not on the forums told me one of her predictions was that Juliana would be angel and heal the family. She said for a long time it didn't look like this was going to be true, but thinking about it, her presence did indirectly help.
    forum_final.png

oh just in case i don't get back here after work i wanted to thank ce ce for the invite. i have this habit of knowing when things are then forgetting because life went nuts.

and everything i said about jes writing is true. i really do love it so i'm glad i didn't miss this.

Thank you, friendsfan. :) I'm glad you were able to hang out.
    forum_final.png

Questions for everyone!

We agree that Harriett's death in conjunction with becoming a mother propelled Hillary into the person she is now. What if Harriett were still with us? How do you think Hillary would be today? Would the unexpected pregnancy alone be enough even if it took a little longer? How long would she have waited to confront Jase?

It's so sad for me to say this , but I really feel that Harriett's pasding, and the love and healing shared during the passing and then through the grief , is the change that brought health to the family . But of course, the movement towards health is the propelling force of this story , so if she'd stuck around, needed changes would have come in other ways . ..

Thank you, friendsfan. :) I'm glad you were able to hang out.

me too.
    @cecerose0208 's last comment has me thinking. So, Hillary hit Jase pretty hard when she finally confronted him, dumping everything on him at once. And then, he started going to the doctor appointments with her, and then the child was born a week early! Then of course, after that, he spent every day at the Humphries house for a few hours to be with his daughter. Though we appreciate Jase coming around to giving Hill a break and starting a relationship, does anyone feel like he was forced/pressured into considering to trust her again? Like, he felt like he should do it for the sake of their child? Or, do you think it's something he would have done anyway because he still loved her so much?

He would have done it anyway ! He wants to forgive and love!

Good morning! Let's discuss Hillary today.

ObgReAG.jpg

Ooh! Yes, let's!

Hillary has been so many things to me over the seasons. Did anyone think she had the ability to step into her mother's shoes? Like, even the potential? I certainly didn't at first. She really surprised me.

Well, seeing how controlling her mom was , yes! I did think she had the potential ! I've seen it before . ... get the controlling one out of the picture , and the others often are freed to assume their natural roles.

That's a great perspective and the reason I decided Harriett needed to go though I didn't think Hillary would go so far as to become her lol. Well, we all know she's not a Harriett clone, but she's got the basics down lol.
    forum_final.png

Ooh, I forgot to add another question I have for everyone. Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents? We know they love their children and had complicated relationships with each one. And we know each of the kids grew up with their deep issues.

Rebecca has been married like three times. Playboy Axel couldn't settle down if he wanted to. And poor Hillary is just now learning how to love herself. I'm not saying all of their issues are their parents' fault, but you know...

What are everyone's thoughts about this?

They're terrible parents! The worst! I'll support my points when I'm not on mobile !

Questions for everyone!

We agree that Harriett's death in conjunction with becoming a mother propelled Hillary into the person she is now. What if Harriett were still with us? How do you think Hillary would be today? Would the unexpected pregnancy alone be enough even if it took a little longer? How long would she have waited to confront Jase?

It's so sad for me to say this , but I really feel that Harriett's pasding, and the love and healing shared during the passing and then through the grief , is the change that brought health to the family . But of course, the movement towards health is the propelling force of this story , so if she'd stuck around, needed changes would have come in other ways . ..

Agreed!
    forum_final.png

Ooh, I forgot to add another question I have for everyone. Would you consider Harriett and Harold good parents? We know they love their children and had complicated relationships with each one. And we know each of the kids grew up with their deep issues.

Rebecca has been married like three times. Playboy Axel couldn't settle down if he wanted to. And poor Hillary is just now learning how to love herself. I'm not saying all of their issues are their parents' fault, but you know...

What are everyone's thoughts about this?

They're terrible parents! The worst! I'll support my points when I'm not on mobile !

LOL I love this too! I can't wait to get the rest.
    forum_final.png

I'm here I'm here! Yay Coffee Hour! :D

In what order did you create your characters? I presume Juliana came first in CAS (though I could be wrong), but who came after that? And didn't Kevin come from the gallery?

Hmmm...there are three variations of the answer lol. If you're talking about simply coming up with the characters, their names, and very loose stories for them, then this would be the order: Juliana, Harriett, Harold, Hillary, Jase, Axel, Rebecca, Jack and all her kids. Yes, Kevin came from the gallery. I don't think I downloaded him until I was almost ready to begin the story.

If you're talking about creation of the actual Sims, Harold & Harriett already existed, but they were young and even had different traits. Then, of course, I created Juliana. After her, it was Rebecca, Axel, Hillary, Jase, Jack and all Rebecca's kids.

If you're talking about sitting down and making the characters come to life with detailed stories, it would be Juliana, Harriett, Hillary, Kevin, Harold, Jase, Rebecca, Axel, Jack, the kids, and then Kevin again. <--he was the reason it took me so long to begin season 2. I didn't understand him enough and I found the story extremely unbelievable! Like, seriously, why would a good-looking, rich man go for a poor, homeless foreigner who can barely talk to him? I didn't buy it lol. So, I had to spend time with him and understand how this could happen before I could write again.

Oh ! I want to talk about characters straight out of CAS ! This is my reminder to myself . ..