Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Quick Guide to SimLit - Sims Story FAQ

Comments

• TimelordSnowyTimelordSnowy Posts: 41 Member
    neat.(and sorry for late reply. I thought it would tell me if someone responded but I guess not ;-;) Does wordpress accept images from places like imgur? I use that for all my photo stuff and it would be far more convenient for me if it does...I might mess with it this weekend and get a thing started then if it does
    Please Ping if responding to something I say. I wont see otherwise thank you :)
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    neat.(and sorry for late reply. I thought it would tell me if someone responded but I guess not ;-;) Does wordpress accept images from places like imgur? I use that for all my photo stuff and it would be far more convenient for me if it does...I might mess with it this weekend and get a thing started then if it does

It does.... :)
  • MinraedMinraed Posts: 1,159 Member
    Wow, this is awesome. I had no idea there was such an organized community of writers. In my past life, up until a couple of years ago, I was so immersed in my Sims community site and work related to it that I lost the fun, now I am merging my love of the Sims with my recently reinspired love of creative writing. I am really looking forward to immersing myself here. Thank you.
    [img][/img] Visit Simaginarium
  • ShadyboopShadyboop Posts: 6,751 Member
    Um... What if I use drawings in some scenes...?
    I prefer Shade than Shady
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Shadyboop wrote: »

That should be totally fine. You can be creative in simLit. Some people don't use pictures at all. :)
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Shadyboop wrote: »

@Shadyboop Hi! I sometimes use drawings too, and I know I'm not the only one. :)
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • jazzyrocksoul88jazzyrocksoul88 Posts: 70 Member
    Could someone please tell me how to share a wordpress blog to the story section of this site? I used to be able to copy and past the url, now i'm not sure if I still can and am just doing it wrong... There's no url share link on wordpress itself. Thank you.
    Be sure to check out my rendition of a Spirit Animal Legacy/Traditional Legacy Challenge Combo!
    33%20Precious%20Saraste%20and%20Ame%20Pic_zpszjgpsupi.png

The Saraste Tales Legacy Intro
    Happy Simming!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you mean a share link for an individual page of your blog, one way is to look right under the title. There should be a link icon. Click or tap on that, then the word copy at the end.
    Another way I do it is to go the index page after publishing whatever post I want to share, select the right link, and click copy link. Then paste that into the link box in the message.

You can also just copy the link from the address bar while viewing your site. Hope this helps.
    image.png
  • jazzyrocksoul88jazzyrocksoul88 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks! @TresaofPern
    Be sure to check out my rendition of a Spirit Animal Legacy/Traditional Legacy Challenge Combo!
    33%20Precious%20Saraste%20and%20Ame%20Pic_zpszjgpsupi.png

The Saraste Tales Legacy Intro
    Happy Simming!
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    edited May 2018
    You're welcome, @jazzyrocksoul88
    image.png
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited June 2018
    Can I get some tips for starting a story and sticking to it? I have a horrible tendency to give up after a few weeks/months :/ I have a good SimLit idea I've been pursing without sharing it anywhere yet and I want to actually finish a story for once.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Can I get some tips for starting a story and sticking to it? I have a horrible tendency to give up after a few weeks/months :/ I have a good SimLit idea I've been pursing without sharing it anywhere yet and I want to actually finish a story for once.
    Don’t do anything overly ambitious - don’t start a 10 generation legacy for example. If your idea has a clear beginning middle and an end, then go for it. And just the fact that you want to finish it goes a long way. It feels good to finish. :)
  • SmsMnc14SmsMnc14 Posts: 50 Member
    How long did it take for your SimLit to get exposure? I'm currently writing about the Parentcy Challenge, using wordpress and I don't want to release another chapter until I have some viewers.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited June 2018
    SmsMnc14 wrote: »
    How long did it take for your SimLit to get exposure? I'm currently writing about the Parentcy Challenge, using wordpress and I don't want to release another chapter until I have some viewers.
    First, people need to learn your story exists. You can try Writer's lounge and let the fellow writers know you started a blog. It is also good to start your own forum thread dedicated to your story. I also recommend joining a reading circle. That way you can gain a group of regular readers, but you also have to read and discuss their stories in return. In general reading and commenting on other writers' stories helps to get noticed. We support each other by mutually reading our stories, it's the best way to make friends too.
    Be patient. It can take months for your story to gather a decent amount of readers.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • SmsMnc14SmsMnc14 Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2018
    Maladi777 wrote: »
    SmsMnc14 wrote: »
    First, people need to learn your story exists. You can try Writer's lounge and let the fellow writers know you started a blog. It is also good to start your own forum thread dedicated to your story. I also recommend joining a reading circle. That way you can gain a group of regular readers, but you also have to read and discuss their stories in return. In general reading and commenting on other writers' stories helps to get noticed. We support each other by mutually reading our stories, it's the best way to make friends too.
    Be patient. It can take months for your story to gather a decent amount of readers.

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm checking the Writer's Lounge and Reading Circle out right now.
    Furthermore, I made my signature into my story to get exposure. I also created my own forum on here but nobody has given any feedback yet. I started to feel discouraged but then again I know these things take time. So, I've been focusing on writing more content instead.
    My forum can be found here: Parentcy Challenge - GENERATION ONE
  • RPA91RPA91 Posts: 16 Member
    I have spent the last few hours reading through this entire thread! Thank you all so much for your information and assistance and the OP for creating this.

I have recently started writing some sims stories and this has really inspired me! <3
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    @SmsMnc14 the problem is that it's a vicious circle. people most likely won't start reading if you don't put out regular content because that a) gets you noticed and b) shows that you won't abandon your story halfway through. A lot of readers value consistency :) good luck!
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    @Julyvee94 That is my main issue. I plan to make SimLit writing as one of my priorities because of that.
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @SmsMnc14 the problem is that it's a vicious circle. people most likely won't start reading if you don't put out regular content because that a) gets you noticed and b) shows that you won't abandon your story halfway through. A lot of readers value consistency :) good luck!

and @ninaumi

PS: Regularly doesn't mean 5 times a week. Even if you update once every month or on whatever schedule you like it's the consistency that I think matters a lot. You don't have to pressure yourself to put out 5 chapters a week if you can't keep it up :)
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

and @ninaumi

PS: Regularly doesn't mean 5 times a week. Even if you update once every month or on whatever schedule you like it's the consistency that I think matters a lot. You don't have to pressure yourself to put out 5 chapters a week if you can't keep it up :)

i agree with july. it means regular for you. semi regular is okay too.
  • addie19addie19 Posts: 11 New Member
    Quick question: How do you guys come up with titles for your stories? I love writing so I'd like to try this out but I'm stuck on a title..
    addie19 wrote: »
    Quick question: How do you guys come up with titles for your stories? I love writing so I'd like to try this out but I'm stuck on a title..

Hi @addie19 have you tried brainstorming lots of different words that describe or fit your story and seeing if anything sparks your imagination? That's what I sometimes do when I'm stuck.
  • addie19addie19 Posts: 11 New Member
    > @simscognito said:
    > addie19 wrote: »
    >
    > Quick question: How do you guys come up with titles for your stories? I love writing so I'd like to try this out but I'm stuck on a title..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi @addie19 have you tried brainstorming lots of different words that describe or fit your story and seeing if anything sparks your imagination? That's what I sometimes do when I'm stuck.

That's a good idea, I'm ashamed to say I haven't thought of that yet xD
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i actually didn't. people started calling it the benders and it stuck.
    > @simscognito said:
    > addie19 wrote: »
    >
    > Quick question: How do you guys come up with titles for your stories? I love writing so I'd like to try this out but I'm stuck on a title..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi @addie19 have you tried brainstorming lots of different words that describe or fit your story and seeing if anything sparks your imagination? That's what I sometimes do when I'm stuck.

That's a good idea, I'm ashamed to say I haven't thought of that yet xD

Ahh don't be ashamed. I'm actually pretty terrible at coming up with titles but this one worked for me. :joy:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top