Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Finally decided to buy a proper PC to play S3, but what should I buy?

Hi!

I have finally decided (after ten years, maybe) to put my student loan to good use and buy a PC that actually runs the Sims 3, fully and fast. And not only the base game, but all the Expansions, Donwloadables and maybe about three times as large amount of CC. The problem now is, after making this totally insane, richbitchy decicion to waste my money, that I have no idea what should I buy. Through years I've been mistaken to tell the customer service people that I'm going to play the Sims 3, and they've checked the requirements of the base game and then sort of refused to believe that they have nothing to do with the actual need I have for the PC to run the game. I'm hopelessly ignorant about the technology running the game, so I thought that there must be at least someone who knows both about Sims 3 and PC's in here.

So, is there a tech nerd around, who would help a co-simsnerd in need? :) I have been watching this Lenovo Legion Y520T, that has GeForce GTX1060 3GB, Core i7-8700,16GB RAM,256GB PCIe SSD,1TB HDD, of which I understand pretty much that it has a 8. gen i7 processor and a terabyte of memory and those are a good thing, and that it costs waaay too much. I'm willing to pay for a proper PC with value worth the money, but hot chokolade, these cost about a monthly salary...

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Nope. There's nobody here but us chickens. Go away, we're trying to (sleep, play our games, do something else...) >:)

Just kidding, of course. o:)

That machine would be fine for all of TS3, but that doesn't mean it's the best choice or the best value for the Euro.

Processor: You don't really need an i7 that strong on desktop for this game, a quad core i5 will do fine. But the extra power is not going to hurt (except the price tag). Do you have any other intended uses, now or in the future, for this computer?

RAM: At least 8 GB. With 16 GB, this one is more future-proof. I wouldn't buy a new PC with less than 16 GB these days.

Graphics: At least an Nvidia GTX 1050 in that series or the AMD equivalent. This one has a GTX 1060, that's better than recommended. Any higher than that would be overkill for TS3, although again may have other uses in the future if you play or will play other graphics intensive games.

Storage: This one has two internal drives, a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. The SSD would constrain your space for TS3 and all expansions too much and too soon unless it's at least twice that size. If you go with this configuration, I would suggest installing the game on and redirecting the user Documents folder to the larger HDD. If you can get a larger SSD (or add one later), that's great too but would drive the price higher.

Branding: Yes, Lenovos tend to be high priced for what you get. I can only quote US prices right now, a desktop similarly configured, not that brand, would start at around $850-900 (USD), plus monitor if needed. Less if we don't have the SSD.

@phoebebebe13 - Any words of wisdom to add for a player in Finland or do you see anything on that site in particular that looks like a better choice?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    Oh @igazor <3 Thank you! I should have known I can count on you!

The sad truth is, that I really have no other use for the PC... :D It's really insane... So i5 it will be and something else than Levono, if I can find a good match. Now I know much more of what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for your help! And a special thank you for using language I can understand! :p

If @phoebebebe13 has some recommendations, I'd be thankfull to hear them out too :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I see you have a decent Euro budget, pm user @chesterbigbird . She is a computer build expert, tell her your budget, country, the games your playing and she can help you with a desktop.
  • SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    Thank you @phoebebebe13 :) I'll do that.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Your very welcome :)
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Igazor, what are your thoughts about the VooDoo computers?
    edited April 2018
    Igazor, what are your thoughts about the VooDoo computers?
    I think back when they made them, it was a great way to spend up to $20,000 USD (yes, that many zeros) on a computer. VooDoo was a luxury brand that HP acquired a long time ago and they retired the name four years ago. The HP Omen line took over.

Not to say I wouldn't have any use for one but would have to see specs on a particular model to really judge. One doesn't always get the quality one is paying for with the fancy upper end brand names. These certainly looked pretty though, if that's any kind of a factor.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I always used a Dell pc, but since that last one was struck by lightning, I bought a computer much better than my Dell that a friend made who builds computers. Its been great. There are a couple of minor issues, but it saved me money to buy a non-brand name. Thank goodness I have a friend who can build and repair computers if needed.

I was always just curious about the Voodoo computers. BUT, since they are so pricey, I never bought one.

thank you for your input igazor
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'm using a Lenovo Ideapad 110 with: ($400 CAD on sale)
    Ram - 8 GB RAM
    Processor AMD A9-9400 Radeon R5, 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G 2.4 GHz
    (I don't know much of what this means)
    Windows 10 Home
    I'm wondering how many expansion packs I can run on this before I start running into problems? I'm thinking of getting some more (watching for sales or multi-packs -ie WA/Gen)

I'm running 5 expansion packs a a bunch of mods and CC. The Sims has never run better.

I inherited my brother's gaming system with 16 GB RAM and 8 Compute Cores (He was a mega gamer - I ended up wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch. That was easier than uninstalling all the stuff I didn't want). Many years ago, he tried out The Sims (notice lack of a number), got me hooked on it, then gave me his disk when he got tired of it. I wonder how many expansion packs I could run on that thing.
    edited April 2018
    @MadDoctor61 - On the Ideapad, it's going to depend on which expansions. They take different tolls and performance hits. Its processor just barely meets the recommended requirements for Pets, the heaviest hitting of all of the EPs (followed in order by Seasons, ITF, and IP). The weak spot is its graphics card. An R5 is integrated, slightly stronger than the more commonly seen Intel integrated chips of its time, but still just that. Different players will have different experiences and expectations on that one. I would think that the four EPs mentioned above would be out of the question, but some have managed to get them going, others find their game starts to stall out on Pets and Seasons.

The brother's gaming system would be unknown unless we knew more about its specs in turn.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited April 2018
    I want Pets
    Dogs
    Birds
    small animal collecting
    Unicorns, raccoons, etc.

I don't want Pets
    Cats
    computer lag
    Cats
    Cats
    (I'm not into horses either, but it isn't really a negative)
  • kimieswildroseskimieswildroses Posts: 116 Member
    I play on a Lenovo i5 quad core 8 gig ram 1 tb hard drive. My hubby upgraded my ram i think i have 12 now not sure oh and this is a laptop. I run all packs except for Island paradise and Into the future. I have those just decided when i reloaded sims 3 i didn't want them this go around. I have loads of cc also. The game runs fine on my pc i have had this laptop for 2 years now i bought it on Amazon for 540.00.
    edited April 2018
    I want Pets
    Dogs
    Birds
    small animal collecting
    Unicorns, raccoons, etc.

I don't want Pets
    Cats
    computer lag
    Cats
    Cats
    (I'm not into horses either, but it isn't really a negative)
    The breeds of animals you choose to play with in your game doesn't matter so much, up to a point (of course a household with some humans and a high number of dogs and/or cats is going to play differently than one without). But I was talking about Pets as an EP. It's great if you can get it and the Seasons EP to work on that computer along with the other EPs that you require, not everyone will be able to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited April 2018
    I play on a Lenovo i5 quad core 8 gig ram 1 tb hard drive. My hubby upgraded my ram i think i have 12 now not sure oh and this is a laptop. I run all packs except for Island paradise and Into the future. I have those just decided when i reloaded sims 3 i didn't want them this go around. I have loads of cc also. The game runs fine on my pc i have had this laptop for 2 years now i bought it on Amazon for 540.00.
    What does it have for a graphics card? That's the piece of the prior post's Ideapad that would potentially be holding it back.

Lenovo is "just" a brand name. The company makes lower end, middle, and top of the line models for both laptops and desktops like most other major computer manufacturers. We can't really give a system credit or take much away for having a certain brand name or not when assessing expected game performance and of course some players will find that their games perform better than expected, some not as well.

It's not entirely typical for a $540 laptop plus the cost of the RAM upgrade to be able to run all (or almost all) EPs quite that well, so I would have to say you have been fortunate with that one. And, of course, different players have different play styles and expectations within the game so no two of us really put our computers under the same load as each other even though we are all playing the same game here.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • kimieswildroseskimieswildroses Posts: 116 Member
    It has an Intel HD graphic's 5500. with 256 allotted memory.
    It has an Intel HD graphic's 5500. with 256 allotted memory.
    That is not a dedicated graphics card and is generally not considered strong enough to carry the heavier hitting EPs. Again, sounds like you have been very fortunate with that one thus far.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I've got some money and am thinking of getting a new laptop. I am getting antsy for 'Pets' and maybe later 'Island Paradise'. I can't/don't want to spend a fortune on a top-of-the-line model. I'd like to keep it down to $500 or so and since I'm in no hurry, I can stretch if further by watching for sales. What should I be looking for if I want a computer capable of running those packs, along with WA/Gen/UL/NL?
    edited May 2018
    I've got some money and am thinking of getting a new laptop. I am getting antsy for 'Pets' and maybe later 'Island Paradise'. I can't/don't want to spend a fortune on a top-of-the-line model. I'd like to keep it down to $500 or so and since I'm in no hurry, I can stretch if further by watching for sales. What should I be looking for if I want a computer capable of running those packs, along with WA/Gen/UL/NL?
    I think you're going to have to up the ante there a bit. Laptops capable of running and expected to carry all TS3 EPs begin at around $900 USD, prices will be higher in other countries. Desktops run cheaper and you get stronger components for less money. There will be sales at times, but not quite as low as you are planning for on laptops.

Processor: At least 2.4 GHz, most i5 or i7 or the AMD equivalents will be fine but it's best to avoid the U-series processors on laptops as they usually aren't strong enough and aren't made for the kinds of stress we put our systems through while playing.

RAM: At least 8 GB, but more would be better especially if one wants to run anything else (e.g., a web browser) alongside the game.

Graphics Card:
    At least a GTX 1050 mobile in the current series or the AMD equivalent. Older cards are fine too if they are strong enough within their own series, but they don't make or at least it would be unusual to see new laptops with the older cards anymore.

Drive Space: At least 500 GB. SSDs are great, but they drive the price tag up and don't do any good if they are too small (256 GB or under) on which to install and work with the game and its tools and content.

Case/Cooling:
    Under-specced and lower range laptops are not meant for gaming and will tend to not have sufficient cooling systems, which can lead to all kinds of performance issues and overheating.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!