Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you improve Teens?

Comments

• PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't understand people who say that teens should be shorter than adults...
    Some teenagers can be even taller than some adults... :''D (In real life I mean)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    Some teenagers can be even taller than some adults... :''D (In real life I mean)

But this is a game - not real life and they do need to be made with enough of a difference that players can tell at a glance they are neither a child nor an YA. You need to see that in CAS - just making a YA and naming one a teen, one a YA, and one an adult as the only visual difference or by making them bone skinny is not making them different at all when one can make an adult or YA as bone skinny.

When I can go into CAS and make a teen, her YA sister, and her mom look exactly the same - so if I place a picture of all three and no one can see instantly which one is the teen - in a game then something about that teen needs to be different enough that one can instantly tell one of those is a teen. Making them a bit smaller framed and shorter has always been the solution in past Sims games - even if in real life not all teens are shorter or smaller framed than their older family members. Believe me when I play the Teen runaway challenge and they were only allowed to talk to other teens and kids - I simply could not find another teen as the NPC YA's dressed and looked just like them - so they ended up with nothing but child age sims as friends. I mean I am all for a challenge but that was an almost impossible challenge because they are not discernible from each other.

Also The Sims is only based somewhat on life - it obviously has little to actually do with real life in many other ways - so having a teen visibly shorter sure makes it easier on most players seeing sims in a crowd and tell at a glance which ones are the teens. In my game seeing teens go every where adult do makes it even harder when one cannot see at a glance they are not adults.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Shorter teens and exclusive teen content. You know, like in previous Sims games and in Generations?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • qadara77qadara77 Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2018
    I'd like to see them be able to learn how to drive and take the driver's test. (which would mean having cars though).

An aspiration like "Expert Driver" that requires passing a driving test, driving a younger sibling to/from school a specific number of times, and requires driving a group of "friends" (relationship of good friends or better) to social events a specific number of times. Maybe even throw in running specific errands for the teen's parents a number of times.

You could actually do all kinds of stuff with this. You could put in whims to be a speed demon or super cautious driver. It could affect mood if they get caught violating traffic laws.
  • qadara77qadara77 Posts: 44 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The height is a major issue for me so they either need to fix teens or add preteens massive size jumps make it hard to tell stories when you go from a child to an adult-sized teen in an instant. Teens need hobbies activities teen specific traits lot types teens show up to and high school is another thing teens need adults have an endless supply of active careers you can follow them all day the teens not so much.

I don't understand why the teen height is such an issue for so many people. I am a parent and my 12-year-old is 5"10. I'm 5'6". He hasn't even become a teen yet is already towers over me. Many teens are the same height or taller than their parents.

What I think would be a great solution (good luck getting it added) would be the ability to adjust height for adult sims upon creation. Then the parent heights would factor into the height of the children.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited April 2018
    I think the problem is that the teens...don’t feel like teens. Or feel like older teens/college students instead. They don’t look like teens and do the same things as adults with no milestones beyond maybe one crush thing (the rings) and making out action. Not much to differentiate them from adults, especially since they can wear lots of the same stuff and look fully grown like the young adults.

Homework helps, but we had proms and driving lessons in the past. I would like more teen stuff.

We need something that is in between the child and the college student.

Either that, or give the Young Adult stage something different that separates them from both the Teen stage and Adult stage. Those teen and up stages (until Elder) look almost identical to me.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Just having more whims would make them more interesting - whims to call a crush, whims to have sleepovers, whims to invite friends over...

Teens are just SO BORING.

I do agree that a whole 'generations' pack with lots more content for every stage would be nice, but teens really need the most work.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Height adjustments would be awesome but I can imagine it would be a nightmare from an animator's point of view. :)
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I'd like more teens-only content and interactions. Including clothes that can only be worn by teens. Changing the life stage's height would take a lot of work at this point, and I'd rather see that energy focused on new content. But I think shorter teens should make a comeback in Sims 5.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018

Because not all of us want to swallow the endless excuses some simmers make for EAs decisions.
    I don't understand why people complain about people who say that some teens should be shorter either.
    Endless excuses some people come up with.

Teens in the sims 2 and 3'were a full and complete life stage compared to young adult/ adult sims.

In 4 there not a complete life stage.

So because some teens in the real world , not all are tall. That's the perfect excuse to why in this game they were lazy with teens?
    We are talking about the game after all not the real world!
    We only have two smaller life stages

Toddler
    Child

As newborn isn't even a proper lifestage.
    Then its cloned sims for

Teen/young adult/adult/elder

Newborns and teens were done terrible.

Both still are terrible .

Personal opinion of course ;)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I think teen townies are the worst. Yeah we have acne, braces, and some teen styled clothes, but teen townies never take advantage of that. A teen filter needs to be put in place, so they'll automatically wear more appropriate clothing/facial details. I'd hope once they aged up, there teen clothing/facial details wouldn't follow. Overall teen clothes, bedroom stuff, and unique gameplay is still really needed.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    Since their height doesn't bother me that much, I want them to add more teen exclusive activities. (eg: Proms, teen parties etc.) or teen exclusive aspirations.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Since their height doesn't bother me that much, I want them to add more teen exclusive activities. (eg: Proms, teen parties etc.) or teen exclusive aspirations.

We absolutely need teen aspirations.
  • K4siesK4sies Posts: 267 Member
    Well I'm not bothered by the height. The only thing that bothers me is that teens just don't have enough teen-stuff to do. The Parenthood GP did very well to add content but I really need more. Like @SimsAddict_244 said - Proms (and more) would be really nice! I wouldn't even care if it was a rabbithole like TS3. As long as it would be included.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Both height and content. A Teen's room pack would be great :) Also I feel like it's a bit frustrating that they only have two traits.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Also I'd like if they could do more teen stuff like having slumber parties, sneak out, go shopping with friends, organize parties when the parents aren't home, stuff like that....
  • More_MooreMore_Moore Posts: 408 Member
    The height is perfectly fine from an objective standpoint). The lack of exclusive content for them is not fine though. I feel like they're the most glossed over life stage in this iteration when it comes to content. Then elders.
    Simmer since day one. Owns every Expansion and extras. Even the console games. XD

Feel free to chat me (I like games/RPGs, game dev, and animu/anime)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    kismet wrote: »
    I don't think the teens can sneak out still can they? I'd like some more mischievous options for them. Being a teenager is all about rebellion you know? It makes the game more interesting.

Yes I think Sims 2 were the rebels of the franchise they snuck out with the chance of getting caught by police.

Going on with a school day Game Pack have teens get a chance to ditch school which they do but do they get caught? If not like they should get caught and have consequences of getting grounded at home. I remember ditching and getting caught it was not pretty when I got home.

Getting caught should have an impact on grades as well -- progress bar should drop and possibly drop down the next level if low enough. Maybe have more options for "extra credit' (which currently doesn't show up ntil you're at B grade level).
    marcel21 wrote: »
    This game really needs a generations pack from newborn to elder.

We need a lot of things and its not the first on my list. But its still needed!

Newborns and elders have been ignored

Kids and teens need better activity's and schools

Preteens would be nice

Newborns are basically objects, and at this point I don't think they'll be anything more than that. #FreeTheBabies

I don't see much chance of preteens either, and shortening the current teens would be an astronomical task because you'd have to adjust a lot of the CASsets especialy clothing. Probably equivalent to the gender patch.

Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier in thread but an age filter that would keep townies from looking like rejected High School Musical extras would help -- could apply to hairstyles as well, but players would be able to remove the filters like they can the gender filter when they take the Sim into CAS. You might have a teen male Sim that's cursed with early onset male pattern baldness thanks to genetics for example, or maybe he shaves his head to follow the lead of his favorite sports star. And of course you have the YAs who refuse to grow up and still dress like they're in high school. (I see I'm not the only one with this idea.)

I think one thing that would really help would be more teen specific interactions and activities. Skateboarding, with the pieces to build our own skateboard areas in large parks, would be a good option. Helmets and knee pads (optional but would reduce chance of injury) could be added to CAS. If you don't wear helmet/knee pads and have a major fail, a long term moodlet that would prevent you from skating for a few days, maybe could be lessened if you have Spa Day by going to the spa for a therapeutic massage (which would cost Simoleons) or taking one of the bath soaks at home (wouldn't totally cure it but would reduce duration). Interactions: more mean/mischievous interactions between siblings, more rebellious interactions between teens/parents as teens really test the limits of parental control during that time.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    Can we all agree this isn't right? :D Why would a teen sim have this hair... lol there definitely needs improvement to their clothing/hair filtering.
    b24a8c7d35ffd457e21b5676c9cede3b.jpg

I have intentionally created teens with that hair style for specific game play purposes that are borderline cruel (especially the teen girl with that hairstyle). That being said, the computer generated npc teens probably shouldn't generate that hair.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I think we need taller children, and taller toddlers.

A toddlers head should be at crotch height for adult sims. They're well know for headbutting their fathers in the tender region.
    And children should be a fair bit taller than they currently are, as they look too short.

I saw an 11 year old today, who was a couple of inches shorter than his mother.

I digress.
    Teens need more angst, more rebellion, more grunted replies to questions from adults.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    There could be at least special party options for teens, like sleepovers, lan partys (with laptops), rabbithole invitations like shoppingspree that give moodlets, traits like mobile phone addiction (Waah, Smombies!), and more teen-ish reactions in certain situations, that not depend on traits, having a lazy day for example, where jogging, homework, or cleaning give a terrible bored moodlet.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • RenSimmerRenSimmer Posts: 16 Member
    I think we need more activities for the teens and also more hairstyles, clothes, shoes and accessories; it would be awesome to have some more unique and stunning visuals for them.

We need more furniture for the rooms too, beds, posters, some more walk in closets, stuffed animals, and shelves.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    (with laptops)
    Yeah. Where are the laptops?

I think every teen I know has a laptop. They're a standard part of education now.
    It's past time they added laptops, and gave teens the option to use a laptop or home computer to do their homework.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Guys it's possible! :)
    ea565ae97d30a2091f7e3a1a99fd9b98.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    qadara77 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    The height is a major issue for me so they either need to fix teens or add preteens massive size jumps make it hard to tell stories when you go from a child to an adult-sized teen in an instant. Teens need hobbies activities teen specific traits lot types teens show up to and high school is another thing teens need adults have an endless supply of active careers you can follow them all day the teens not so much.

I don't understand why the teen height is such an issue for so many people. I am a parent and my 12-year-old is 5"10. I'm 5'6". He hasn't even become a teen yet is already towers over me. Many teens are the same height or taller than their parents.

What I think would be a great solution (good luck getting it added) would be the ability to adjust height for adult sims upon creation. Then the parent heights would factor into the height of the children.
    Unless your 12 year old is being confused for a 20-50 year old I don't get your point because teens in this game are. Sim teens do not have the look of youth teens are not easy to spot as they should be and should not require the word "teen" over their head when you hover over them to know they're a teen which has been the only fix they have got in what 4 years now. Height is one thing that is easy to spot never once in Sims 2 did I confuse a teen for an adult because they had the height difference and actually had the look of a teen.

So as I said yes height is a big issue but I'd just as easily be happy with preteens and teens to be made to look more youthful fix both of my issues easily without sliders.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"