Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Return of Really Old Bugs

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims 2
Do custom hoods (player created) come with old bugs like food disappearing from the fridge, dirty plates not being selectable etc.? That is the only thing I downloaded recently (custom hood) and in that hood things like that happen over and over and have to sell fridge to get left overs, force error to delete plates that are grayed out, and other glitches. You know like how FTs hood made stuff disappear (activity table) or jump bugs etc. This custom hood is not built from that template to the best of my knowledge and was created by SC4 according to the creator.

Or could it be that I used a lot of old Maxis base game tiny houses (famous for glitches) for some of the living spaces? I'm thinking it's the hood since I'm having all sorts of glitches like that even in my own builds in that hood, too. But they were in the bin not built fresh in the hood so I don't know what's going on as I have tested every content I have for months at one time or another.

Question do you think it's the custom hood, or Maxis houses? And why some neighborhoods have more glitches than ones we've played for years Maxis or our own?

ETA:Other glitches since installing the custom hood (didn't come with houses) when placing things on walls in decor they disappear. I just don't understand what is wrong here.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do custom hoods (player created) come with old bugs like food disappearing from the fridge, dirty plates not being selectable etc.? That is the only thing I downloaded recently (custom hood) and in that hood things like that happen over and over and have to sell fridge to get left overs, force error to delete plates that are grayed out, and other glitches. You know like how FTs hood made stuff disappear (activity table) or jump bugs etc. This custom hood is not built from that template to the best of my knowledge and was created by SC4 according to the creator.

Or could it be that I used a lot of old Maxis base game tiny houses (famous for glitches) for some of the living spaces? I'm thinking it's the hood since I'm having all sorts of glitches like that even in my own builds in that hood, too. But they were in the bin not built fresh in the hood so I don't know what's going on as I have tested every content I have for months at one time or another.

Question do you think it's the custom hood, or Maxis houses? And why some neighborhoods have more glitches than ones we've played for years Maxis or our own?

ETA:Other glitches since installing the custom hood (didn't come with houses) when placing things on walls in decor they disappear. I just don't understand what is wrong here.

At a guess, the custom hood wasn't packaged properly. Did it come with playables? Or is it just the SC4? (Bugs should not persist from SC4... so if this was not a neighborhood with buildings/playables pre-established in it you're looking at a different cause.)

Are these problems occurring in other hoods?
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    deskitadeskita Posts: 24 Member
    You may just need to delete the groups.cache file which is just in the sims 2 folder. If that doesn't work you may want to try taking out your downloads folder or testing in another neighborhood and seeing if it's only that particular neighborhood or if you have a bad download. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    All the bugs are happening in just the one hood. It is a SC4 map only. Most of the world I filled with the smaller Maxis houses, though I know those are glitched from way back because Maxis used MOO on many of their small builds the problems only seem to get worse even if one of the vacant homes in the bin didn't even have MOO used to place stuff etc. by Maxis. Most didn't even have furniture so yesterday, I placed the Christmas wreaths on a house (Maxis built) and they disappeared, it was the holidays in my Sim's home. It's all sorts of stuff like that disappearing in this one world. I didn't even have cheats on, either. Just decorating their homes for holidays.

All sorts of jump bugs, things disappearing when placed on walls, routing issues like from the fridges to the tables, getting left overs and they poof, plates getting stuck, things like that is why I mentioned the FT hood. It came with all sorts of glitches like that back when FT was first released. This hood was only the map no lots, characters, or other files. I really liked it. I hate to delete it. :/ ETA: This is not the FT template map but a hood created by a player several years ago. Just the map. So I don't understand what is wrong here. ETA: Yesterday it crashed in a large home, so I may have to just delete it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    All the bugs are happening in just the one hood. It is a SC4 map only. Most of the world I filled with the smaller Maxis houses, though I know those are glitched from way back because Maxis used MOO on many of their small builds the problems only seem to get worse even if one of the vacant homes in the bin didn't even have MOO used to place stuff etc. by Maxis. Most didn't even have furniture so yesterday, I placed the Christmas wreaths on a house (Maxis built) and they disappeared, it was the holidays in my Sim's home. It's all sorts of stuff like that disappearing in this one world. I didn't even have cheats on, either. Just decorating their homes for holidays.

All sorts of jump bugs, things disappearing when placed on walls, routing issues like from the fridges to the tables, getting left overs and they poof, plates getting stuck, things like that is why I mentioned the FT hood. It came with all sorts of glitches like that back when FT was first released. This hood was only the map no lots, characters, or other files. I really liked it. I hate to delete it. :/ ETA: This is not the FT template map but a hood created by a player several years ago. Just the map. So I don't understand what is wrong here. ETA: Yesterday it crashed in a large home, so I may have to just delete it.

This sounds like there's something weird in the neighborhood, though not the map. (You could probably remake it safely.)

Try using The Lot Inspector (check for lot problems) The Batbox (Nuke what the lot inspector tells you to, if that fails force errors on all in-world, delete stuck tiles.) Note that you'd have to do this for each lot you have problems on.

Finally, also run the hood checker on that neighborhood. You can post me the results and I'll tell you if I spot an obvious problem source.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    It is possible that at one time the neighborhood contained homes and sims. The creator might have deleted and used programs to remove things, but didn't get all the garbage left behind, before posting it for download. How old is it? The older it is the more chance of the creator doing something silly, not much was known about the negative effects until years after the games release. That's why you can still download lots sims had lived in ect. No one knew any better.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Thanks, I looked in the files and it contains a png of houses that had been in that hood. When I downloaded it it only showed the four terrain pictures, but looking inside the templates there is an extra pic of a few houses and other stuff in the hood in a png so yeah, I guess they did have some lots in it at one time and didn't clean it out properly or something. I was thinking it had been made fresh without lots or Sims but inside the files the extra picture (I guess) proves they did have houses and stuff in it at one time. :/ Oh well, I guess I let it go because the bugs got even worse.
  • Options
    Thanks, I looked in the files and it contains a png of houses that had been in that hood. When I downloaded it it only showed the four terrain pictures, but looking inside the templates there is an extra pic of a few houses and other stuff in the hood in a png so yeah, I guess they did have some lots in it at one time and didn't clean it out properly or something. I was thinking it had been made fresh without lots or Sims but inside the files the extra picture (I guess) proves they did have houses and stuff in it at one time. :/ Oh well, I guess I let it go because the bugs got even worse.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can find another that you will enjoy as much.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Did they share the map? Just the map so you can make a clean neighborhood?

If you use the Hood Replacer to transfer the map to a new neighborhood... that way you can still have the map- if they didn't share it. :)
  • Options

Oh yeah. Overall, do not download any neighborhood that is not a direct SC4 file without other data, unless you are very committed and good at SimPE, because SOMETHING will not be removed completely. (Exception being cleaned neighborhood templates because you're better off with those than the vanilla maxis neighborhoods...)
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Did they share the map? Just the map so you can make a clean neighborhood?

If you use the Hood Replacer to transfer the map to a new neighborhood... that way you can still have the map- if they didn't share it. :)

Thanks! You rock!
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    It is possible that at one time the neighborhood contained homes and sims. The creator might have deleted and used programs to remove things, but didn't get all the garbage left behind, before posting it for download. How old is it? The older it is the more chance of the creator doing something silly, not much was known about the negative effects until years after the games release. That's why you can still download lots sims had lived in ect. No one knew any better.

Yeah, I think what you said is actually what happened, because to best of my knowledge there is like four programs you have to use to clean out a hood map. It looks clean but I think stuff was left behind. I read the other day there are at least four tools that have to be used. Thank you guys! Maybe I can clean it up.
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Yeah, I think what you said is actually what happened, because to best of my knowledge there is like four programs you have to use to clean out a hood map. It looks clean but I think stuff was left behind. I read the other day there are at least four tools that have to be used. Thank you guys! Maybe I can clean it up.

Hopefully you can clean it up. I knew there was a way to clean them, though I have never done it so couldn't make a suggestion there. Rflong to the rescue!!! As always. :)