Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Revert .package files help!!!!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DisfiguresDisfigures Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Disfigures said:
    > Ok so I was trying to install mc command center and it wasn't working and I ended up opening them with notepad and now 1. they're not working and mccc isn't showing up in game & 2. I can't revert them back. The files are .ts4script and I can't change them back to their original form. I've tried re-downloading them about 5 times and they always open with notepad. Please help. I just want to use mccc!!

omg ok I'm talking about sims 4 in a sims 3 topic so sorry but there's no topic for this in s4, at least an easy to find one ignore me
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @Disfigures I know you're looking for TS4 help, but one point made by posters here is relevant to you. Your computer opens the files in notepad because it "learned" to use notepad by default the first time you tried to open one (when you were likely prompted to select an application for the task). Without intervention, it will continue to attempt to use notepad by default for every file of this same type it encounters. You can remove this association using the steps listed on page 1, but it's not strictly necessary. As long as you're not trying to save the files after you open them, you're not actually changing them, and the game itself doesn't care which application your computer thinks it should use to open the files. It should be reading the mod as it's supposed to regardless.

I don't play TS4, but with the release of the new game pack (and likely a patch as well), you may be having compatibility issues with mccc. The mod's website should tell you if you'll need a newer version, which may or may not be available right away.

There are several threads here devoted to help specifically with TS4's mccc where you can post about your issue. Here's one:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/913483/mc-command-center-local-help-chat-thread/p57
  • Options
    MelliSimsMelliSims Posts: 1 New Member
    My all sims 3 cc turned into a Sims3 packages when i was merging all my sims 3 cc at s3pe and i accidentaly drag them into that white box and then they come Looking like the s3pe logo then I delete the s3pe and then they say type: sims3 package. WHAT TO DO!! Please somebody help me
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,434 Member
    edited April 2018
    Disfigures wrote: »
    Ok so I was trying to install mc command center and it wasn't working and I ended up opening them with notepad and now 1. they're not working and mccc isn't showing up in game & 2. I can't revert them back. The files are .ts4script and I can't change them back to their original form. I've tried re-downloading them about 5 times and they always open with notepad. Please help. I just want to use mccc!!

See @igazor's quote...@Disfigures
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you are having trouble, but suggest that you post on the TS4 Tech Discussions board for more assistance. It's not the current or former existence of S3PE that has done this, and it's not the file associations. It has to be something else.

This is the TS3 forums. You will get more assistance with TS4 problems in the proper forum for your game.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    MelliSims wrote: »
    My all sims 3 cc turned into a Sims3 packages when i was merging all my sims 3 cc at s3pe and i accidentaly drag them into that white box and then they come Looking like the s3pe logo then I delete the s3pe and then they say type: sims3 package. WHAT TO DO!! Please somebody help me

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but it is okay if they have the s3pe logo as long as they're still a .package
    All of mine have s3pe logos because I merge them.
    In fact, all my ts2 and ts4 CC have s3pe logos as well, as has been pointed out in this topic it's just what your computer has learned to associate. The logo doesn't affect anything at all.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    This thread is becoming a mess. :/

Different helpful members here have said something like 20 times now that it doesn't matter which program and icons that Windows (or Mac, for that matter) associate with package files, sims3packs, or other assorted file types. The games know what kind of files they are by the way they are created, not by their Windows file associations or what the icons look like to us.

Yet no one is reading the answers because the same questions keep coming up.

So I will say it a 21st time. It doesn't matter what the Windows file associations are nor what the file icons look like for package files. Different programs share the same file format and they "know" and can use whichever kinds of package files are made for that program.

I don't know why this is such a stubbornly difficult concept to get across. Just a suggestion, maybe this thread should stay in place for reference but be locked up?
    @EA_Mage
    @EA_Lanna
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    noobofaplayernoobofaplayer Posts: 2 New Member
    sorry for the disturbance but

My comp Windows 10 has converted my .packages files to Notepad. I tried using a default button but it would suddenly change to WinRAR ( so that's even worse )
    It's now back to Notepad and I'm now stuck there.

If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate your assistance.
  • Options
    noobofaplayernoobofaplayer Posts: 2 New Member
    > @noobofaplayer said:
    > sorry for the disturbance but
    >
    > My comp Windows 10 has converted my .packages files to Notepad. I tried using a default button but it would suddenly change to WinRAR ( so that's even worse )
    > It's now back to Notepad and I'm now stuck there.
    >
    > If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate your assistance.

No need for the reply anymore as I've figured out the problem by re-reading everything and doing them step by step.
  • Options
    Cromulent16Cromulent16 Posts: 1 New Member
    SIMS 4 PACK CONVERT *FIXED*

I have Sims 4 and I saw your comment I just experienced the same problem I was messing with my computer and I changed the file type so I went back in because I was determined to get it back to a blank .package file and it worked so basically here are the steps I took to fix it

YOU DONT HAVE TO DELETE YOUR PACKAGE FILES TO DO THIS

DELETE SIMS 4 AND SIMS 3 IF YOU HAVE IT TAKE OUT ALL THE FILES YOU NEED FIRST OR THEY WILL BE GONE FOREVER

the reason for this is because anything associated with Sims is why the package files exist so after you delete restart your computer the package files should be back to their former selves and then you can reinstall as long as you keep your backup saves in a SEPERATE folder first you shouldn't have to restart your game hope this helps it helped me I don't know what else you could do but this is the only option I tried out that worked for me have a good day!
  • Options
    AntiSocialSim72AntiSocialSim72 Posts: 186 Member
    edited May 2018

I have Sims 4 and I saw your comment I just experienced the same problem I was messing with my computer and I changed the file type so I went back in because I was determined to get it back to a blank .package file and it worked so basically here are the steps I took to fix it

DELETE SIMS 4 AND SIMS 3 IF YOU HAVE IT TAKE OUT ALL THE FILES YOU NEED FIRST OR THEY WILL BE GONE FOREVER

the reason for this is because anything associated with Sims is why the package files exist so after you delete restart your computer the package files should be back to their former selves and then you can reinstall as long as you keep your backup saves in a SEPERATE folder first you shouldn't have to restart your game hope this helps it helped me I don't know what else you could do but this is the only option I tried out that worked for me have a good day!

DO NOT DO THIS!! EVER! This is beyond overkill, for TS3 OR TS4. Please, someone lock or sticky this so this doesn't keep popping up and maybe people will read it before taking such drastic steps. Just read the thread, all the correct info is in here many times, and written much better than I could at the moment.

@EA_Mage
    @EA_Lanna
    @igazor
  • Options

I'm very sorry, but that is about the worst possible advice one could give for an issue that is not really an issue. It doesn't matter what the file associations are, package files will work as they are intended to as long as the individual files themselves have not been tampered with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I have seen much information in this thread boiling down to this: as long as the actual file name isn't changed, plopping it in downloads will be enough for the launcher to recognise them.

However some people still panick because they once used 'open with' with the wrong program and windows conveniently decided this was the program you wanted to use every time from now on, which also changes the icon.

What I miss in this topic is that there is a very simple solution for this issue in the form of Unassoc, a windows tool that is specially made to remove unwanted file associations.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I have seen much information in this thread boiling down to this: as long as the actual file name isn't changed, plopping it in downloads will be enough for the launcher to recognise them.

However some people still panick because they once used 'open with' with the wrong program and windows conveniently decided this was the program you wanted to use every time from now on, which also changes the icon.

What I miss in this topic is that there is a very simple solution for this issue in the form of Unassoc, a windows tool that is specially made to remove unwanted file associations.
    Well, sort of. Package files aren't meant to be placed in Downloads and they aren't read by the Launcher. That's only for sims3packs. Package files in TS3 are meant to be placed within the Mods\Packages framework with a proper Resource.cfg file in place.

I would not recommend the Unassoc application because (a) it's only stated to work on Vista and Win 7, which not everyone has today and (b) sorry, it might be fine but I don't recognize the source as being trustworthy and known to deliver helpful applications free of accompanying ad/malware.

An arguably better strategy might be to install a harmless application that can actually open and edit package files such as S3PE, NRaas Packer, or whatever the equivalent is for TS4, then work with Windows to make the new file association to one of those. The downside is that all package based files, no matter for which game they were intended, will have the same association but it's still all harmless and only eye-candy for the user. The games don't care what the icon or double-click associations are.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Seems like a good strategy. I have personally used unassoc in the past, but one can never be too carefull.
  • Options
    MelaninMonroexMelaninMonroex Posts: 1 New Member
    > @alternative_erin said:
    > Messed up all my previous file, Help!
    > Hey guys I really messed up here and would greatly appreciate some positive guidance on what I should do.
    >
    > I am currently running Windows 8 for starters.
    >
    > Well while I was trying to get my mods to work and you know, kind of exploring (which I won't be doing anymore) I accidentally changed a file (a .package file) by clicking open with...word doc.
    >
    > Problem is, now all my .packagefiles are word docs, and I don't know how to revert the files back to their previous condition. Whenever I try to load the game, it crashes at the loading screen. (I don't have the screenplay in the beginning because I added a mod to get rid of it)
    > Please Help!

Found a solution? Having the same exact problem, difference is I've accidentally changed all my files to Win.rar
    I'm unable to download my skins and dont know how to revert them, does anyone????
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Found a solution? Having the same exact problem, difference is I've accidentally changed all my files to Win.rar
    I'm unable to download my skins and dont know how to revert them, does anyone????
    I'm afraid the OP is probably not going to answer because they posted this over four years ago and have not returned to the forums since then. The answers have been given on this very thread, multiple times. It does not matter what the file associations are, we are not meant to be double-clicking on .package files for TS3. We are meant to be placing them into a Mods\Packages folder if they are .package files or into the game's Downloads folder to be read by the Launcher if they are .sims3pack files.

Your browser should be directed to Save Target As (or Save Link As), not to actually run the files it is downloading as there is nothing to run. If you are actually downloading .rar files, then you need an application installed such as WinRAR or 7-zip to decompress them after they are downloaded, but actual .package and .sims3pack files do not need that step if they are not compressed into rar (zip, 7z) files.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16444687/#Comment_16444687
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Thanks Igazor. I'll close the thread here as it has been necro'd.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top