Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 vs Sims 4

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I think she means in CAS.

I do

TS2 has the alien eyes, skin, and face template available in CAS and/or bodyshop, last I checked.

really I will look again
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member

I do

TS2 has the alien eyes, skin, and face template available in CAS and/or bodyshop, last I checked.

really I will look again

You'll need to activate Boolprop testingcheatsenabled true first though. Then after you've loaded CAS, press shift+N
    Banner.png
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I do

really I will look again

You'll need to activate Boolprop testingcheatsenabled true first though. Then after you've loaded CAS, press shift+N

thank you
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I do

really I will look again

I did not know that! Thanks!
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member

I do

really I will look again

I did not know that! Thanks!

Yes, thank you. I have a mod that unlocks the alien skin and eyes automatically and had forgotten that you might need to open the cheat in the vanilla game. :)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I like sims 4 better

I like TS4 toddlers better. Care to share why TS4 is better for you? It's always nice to have some insight.

well I feel like sims 4 sims have more personality I really enjoy watching them do things its easier to see there facial expressions
    the building is easier and it's also easier to tell how they feel by the way they move I like that they can't lose skills like in sims 2
    and that I can turn ageing off if I want I like being able to go to work with my sims I like the toddlers and I feel like genetics is better in sims 4 because although sims 2 genetics are really good they had that twin bug where kids would look alike sometimes I also like that they can talk about different things more with out me doing much

that being said there are lots of things I want from sims 2 in 4 like
    the hobbies
    fear
    the babies
    games for kids that don't need objects
    easier deaths
    @Mstybl95

Why oh why when sims in this game failed to react to

Cheating
    Deaths
    Fight

I miss that so much in this game.

I do think sims look brilliant in this game well

Newborns and teens and elders don't for me but the rest do.

But they just don't react to those three things above very well.

Not Just taking about the face, body language is like robots.
    They don't even pay attention to fights or death

this is a sims 2 vs sims 4 thread you didnt say anything about sims 2 have you played it
    do you wish you could play it if so you can still get it on amazon

I have been talking about the sims 2 vs the sims 4.

I own every single sims game and have been playing since 2005

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

Rflong7 wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    I like sims 4 better

I like TS4 toddlers better. Care to share why TS4 is better for you? It's always nice to have some insight.

well I feel like sims 4 sims have more personality I really enjoy watching them do things its easier to see there facial expressions
    the building is easier and it's also easier to tell how they feel by the way they move I like that they can't lose skills like in sims 2
    and that I can turn ageing off if I want I like being able to go to work with my sims I like the toddlers and I feel like genetics is better in sims 4 because although sims 2 genetics are really good they had that twin bug where kids would look alike sometimes I also like that they can talk about different things more with out me doing much

that being said there are lots of things I want from sims 2 in 4 like
    the hobbies
    fear
    the babies
    games for kids that don't need objects
    easier deaths
    @Mstybl95

Why oh why when sims in this game failed to react to

Cheating
    Deaths
    Fight

I miss that so much in this game.

I do think sims look brilliant in this game well

Newborns and teens and elders don't for me but the rest do.

But they just don't react to those three things above very well.

Not Just taking about the face, body language is like robots.
    They don't even pay attention to fights or death

this is a sims 2 vs sims 4 thread you didnt say anything about sims 2 have you played it
    do you wish you could play it if so you can still get it on amazon

Might want to scroll up a little... they did say something more. :)

I don't see TS4 Sims being any more expressive... just more Over the Top Cartoonish in their "Emotions." That's my opinion.

TS2 is playing with Sims, TS4 is playing with Emotions...

Thanks.
    Thought that was an odd comment as I'm comparing the two sims games. Agree they react better in two, act it out better

In 4 they stand there like a robot not reacting very well to

Death
    Cheating
    Fights

Emotions is okay but I would love to see them act it out instead of just stood there like an unmoving zombie/robot
    Or paying no attention to those situations at all.

edited April 2018
    well its a very long thread not ever one reads everything that was said

Hi :)
    Really.
    Both of my posts were on the last page and 6 posts apart :#

Its helps to read post to post:(

Fair enough tho ;)
    Sure I have missed post myself at times.
    Happy smimming.

• SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    There are things I like and dislike in both games.

Sims 2

+ More focused in building one family however you want them to be. Definitively more family focus game.
    + Lively neighborhoods
    + Open restaurants, the possibility to own a business but personally I don't do this often because I prefer to play with my families. To choose whether or not you want technologies in your house. To buy magazines, groceries on community lot or just call them
    + The possibility to change the neighborhoods, to add as much houses and decorations as you like.
    + I like how sims looks happy/disappointed after you do something which goes for/against their established personalities.
    + Wants and fears.
    + Hard to have friends and keep them but I like the challenge.
    + The memories and them reacting and being affected by events for more than 5 minutes.
    + I wasn't bothered by the closed world
    + Cars and sims interacting with rather than just teleporting.
    + Rotational play
    + Toddlers not being able to walk straight away. The different ways to wash babies and toddlers.
    + Universities/seasons/animals other than just cats and dogs
    + Timed dates
    + Having to impress the headminister to have my kids go to private school
    + Plenty of services
    + Apartments and the supernatural

Dislikes:
    - Not that much objects and clothes to choose. No CASt.
    - Having to choose all 25 personality points unlike the sims 1. Not having to choose our zodiac sign.
    - Too few skills which is really one of my major gripe with this game. For example creative sims who only improved their painting skills are also experts at playing piano or playing the guitar.
    - Not having the option to age more than 3 unplayed sims so when my sims age most of the people they know don't so there is some disconnect there.
    - Not being able to rotate furnitures as much as in 3 and 4.
    - Sometimes, sims do not do what I told them or the actions disappear but I think it's a bug.
    - Not being able to change how long a life stage last.
    - Young adults not being able to have babies in university.
    - Not being able to see what sims do or being able to choose what they do while at work.

So far it's all I can think of after many hours of playing this game.

Sims 4

I don't have every packs so I'm gonna judge with what I own actually.

+ Vary casual-friendly game. Building and CAS is a lot easier than in previous games and there are more options. Still no CASt though.
    + Easier to have social interactions with other sims.
    + The return of retail and open restaurants and timed social events (I still don't own any businesses though so I don't know whether they are broken or not). All sims are siting in their tables and they don't randomly get up unless I pick an interaction where they need to be up.
    + Toddlers are so well done, they can use the stairs and running now. They can also sit on the couch or pick food on the counter. They can also have nightmares and wake up their parents while crying. Progress.
    + Vampires.
    + I'm not mad that pets aren't controllable, still would have liked it to be an option for other players though
    + Rotational play, with options to age the town and played households, finally! Tried it recently and didn't have any bad surprises so far.
    + I'm also not mad with the semi-closed world, my loading screens only last less then 20-30 seconds so it isn't so bad. I'm also glad I can change sims I control while I'm on a community lot. I can find close to 14 sims on community lots, and employees are actually working in both games unlike in 3 where sometimes there's no one there.
    + The club system. You can create a club for anything which I the option appreciate a lot.
    + Professions are back, I tried some of them for a while and I didn't get bored.
    + The different festivals.
    + More skills
    + Breastfeeding as an option.

Dislikes:
    - Sometime the game is way too easy for me. When sims's relationships are bad I just pick the apologize option and they accept it easily if they're not angry. Actually, sims reacts all the same way depending on their current emotions, not their personality, unless I choose to create drama by myself. Like all my sims keep using the bookshelf even when they don't have the bookworm trait. Mean sims don't have more difficulty to have positive social interactions than other sims.
    - Their emotion changing every minutes can be very distracting at times.
    - Having a limited amount of place to add lots in the worlds and not being able to modify it reminds me a lot of mobile sims game.
    - Not a lot of jobs compared to the previous game, even with professions. Lots of them are missing.
    - No burglar, and in all my hours of gameplay I only got 1 vampire break in.
    - Only 2 pets and 1 supernatural. What about birds or wild animals?
    - Succeeding at social events is too easy.
    - Doing homework in less than 2 hours. I guess to give us time to do other things?
    - Disappearing actions again.
    - Not having to choose a crib for babies, and no option for toddlers.
    - Toddlers being able to walk from the start, it would have been better to add a level where we teach them how to walk.

That's pretty much it so far. To resume, the game is too easy to play sometimes and I get bored after a while.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    edited April 2018
    The Sims 2 was the best game because it had quantity. It was never about the looks. The Sims 4 was a half-baked game of quality.
    BuzzBuzz wrote: »
    The Sims 2 was the best game because it had quantity. It was never about the looks. The Sims 4 was a half-baked game of quality.

The sims 2 is still the best, because it has quality and quantity. the sims 4 isn't even a quarter baked and what is this quality in it?

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Sims 2 Superior, Sims 4 inferior.
    Seriously though, Sims 2 may not be open world or world map but as a more retro (erm...) old school it felt more open and had a lot more in depth game play to offer.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

Another thing S4 has over S2 is that shoes/hats/accessories are all separated and sims could use both feminine and masculine clothes which is a great improvement as far as I'm concerned.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited April 2018
    Oooo... 14 years later and shoes have improved. :lol:

*It is nice about the clothes but comeon... 14 years. :)

Like I said, both games have their pluses and minuses. Another example is pets not interacting with each AT ALL in S4 beside cats hissing at other pets when they don't like them.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member

Like I said, both games have their pluses and minuses. Another example is pets not interacting with each AT ALL in S4 beside cats hissing at other pets when they don't like them.

I actually like pets in the game but playing them in a household was kinda ...not much for me.-in all the Sims iterations. I haven't played them in TS4 but I bet it my view will hold. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    edited May 2018
    Played S2 since it's inception. Never played S3 - early reviews scared me off. I've played S4 since 2014. My major disappointment with S4, as a builder more than a player - NO TERRAIN TOOL. And, by those who know...because of the half-baked platform used for 4, we'll never get one. I always considered it a fun challenge to customize a lot with hills, valleys, streams and then build a house around it all. S4 only has the terribly boring flat lots.

However, I do like the sims looks better in 4. That long face in 2 bothers me. S4 definitely has the better CAS.

I'm getting convinced we will not have a S5....and S4 will never seem complete. I've started playing S2 again. S2 is definitely where I'll go if the whole Sims game production fizzles. I have absolutely no confidence in EA. :#

Edit: Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention that in S4 EVERY building on the lot has to be the same elevation, think "foundations". So, if you like the look of a front porch and steps you cannot reasonably have a garage even if all you have is deco cars! Foundation for your house?? then you also have a raised foundation for your garden shed, pool cabana, garage, barn...any other building on the lot. Yeah, now you get an idea why I have little or no respect for EA.
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Played S2 since it's inception. Never played S3 - early reviews scared me off. I've played S4 since 2014. My major disappointment with S4, as a builder more than a player - NO TERRAIN TOOL. And, by those who know...because of the half-baked platform used for 4, we'll never get one. I always considered it a fun challenge to customize a lot with hills, valleys, streams and then build a house around it all. S4 only has the terribly boring flat lots.

However, I do like the sims looks better in 4. That long face in 2 bothers me. S4 definitely has the better CAS.

I'm getting convinced we will not have a S5....and S4 will never seem complete. I've started playing S2 again. S2 is definitely where I'll go if the whole Sims game production fizzles. I have absolutely no confidence in EA. :#

Edit: Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention that in S4 EVERY building on the lot has to be the same elevation, think "foundations". So, if you like the look of a front porch and steps you cannot reasonably have a garage even if all you have is deco cars! Foundation for your house?? then you also have a raised foundation for your garden shed, pool cabana, garage, barn...any other building on the lot. Yeah, now you get an idea why I have little or no respect for EA.
    You of course have no real problem when there won’t be a Sims 5. Not having played Sims 3 at all and it being totally new for you. If only I were so lucky, I’d start tomorrow! No bias will ever beat own experience.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Iodum99Iodum99 Posts: 6 New Member
    I like both, but if I have to choose, I'd say TS2 is better, for me that is.

I like the humor TS2 had, all the goofy animations, reactions etc... It really had a "soul" of its own. Also, I just love all the premade worlds in TS2, they all had interesting stories and almost all families were connected, you could really immerse yourself in it. TS4 seems a bit bland in that area. It does have some of the Sims we all love, but that's it.. There's no history to it like in the other games (Oh how I loved looking at TS2 memories).

The areas where TS4 wins for me are, of course, CAS, build mode and graphics, I really love the cartoon-ish approach they took with this one, itreally suits it! TS4 is really nice, it just still lacks old content I have no doubt will return some time in the future!
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member

(TS4) Likes:

+ Rotational play, with options to age the town and played households, finally! Tried it recently and didn't have any bad surprises so far.

I was so excited for TS4 because at the time, I hadn't gotten TS2U and was really missing my Sims. Rotational play was my #1 dislike for TS3 and why I didn't play it much at all. So I started playing TS4 and while I had many dislikes, at least I had rotational play... I thought. That's when I found out that if you leave a family to play another family, make SURE that family you're leaving isn't pregnant. Because the baby will be born and it will be auto-named. Not only that, the pregnant mom doesn't age. So let's say you want to have 2 kids, her husband will age up way beyond her and become a senior way before her.

Aside from my many dislikes of TS4, this one made me stop playing. But fortunately, I came to these forums and found out I might be able to get TS2. In fact, when I checked my Origin library, it was already there!

edited June 2018
    Some likes/dislikes I forgot to mention in my first post:

S2:

- Not being able to switch between sims on different lots in live mode. This always frustrated me because if I wanted a sims to come with me I had to go back to the household, I'm so glad S4 simplified that and made it easier. Same thing for using build/buy mode on community lots in live mode, I didn't like that I had to pause, go back to the neighborhood view and then click on community lot just to add a few objects.

- I always felt that choosing between 5 personality for our seems to be way too limiting. They should have added more options ,imo, with the possibility to add all or none of the personality points. Max personality point for all "traits" should have been given as an option to create the "perfect" sim which is extremely important for me as I like to experiment in my stories a lot. I'm all for gameplay in my game and for that, I need more options.

+ More supernaturals than just vampire and aliens.

+ Attraction/chemistry. My only nitpick id that I wanted more choices for turn-ons/offs.

+ Sunbathing, lounge chairs, water slides etc.

+ The cut scenes (first kiss, propose, wedding, first whoohoo, going to university) especially when they fail, it's hilarious.

+ The humor/ autonomous behavior when they see things they like/dislike.

+ Hobbies. I would have liked more but it was a big step in the right direction. Too bad skills were not as detailed though.

+ Graveyards.

-/+ Minus the Romance aspiration, I liked all aspirations but I always felt it needed to have more aspirations or just more detailed but I guess the fact that it is so broad is part of the appeal.

S4
    :

- How could I forget the lack of aspirations and traits? This always make me go crazy every time I create a new family because there is so few of them. I never liked to have only 3 slots for traits (4 when you pick an aspiration and 5 when you complete it, but you don't choose them). How can children have only one slot? Toddlers I can somewhat understand but children? They also need to add more negative traits/aspirations.

- Emotions having more influence than traits, especially for autonomous behaviors. My sims still go straight for the TV/computer/bookshelf not matter what traits I choose. They should have made more exclusive interactions in relation to their traits, not just their emotions. Speaking of emotion, sadness is not the same thing as fear. They definitively need to add this important emotion.

- No memories after the moodlets disappear.

- Romance in general. They removed lots of romantic interactions from previous games (cuddling in beds, slow dancing, chemistry/attraction etc.) There seems to be less intimacy in general compared to S2. Sims in S4 don't really dance together either. Hopefully there might be a Love pack at some point in the future, maybe.

- Lack of pool activities and hobbies in general. No lounge chairs, no water slide, no sunbathing. There should be more "hobbies" in CAS as well.

- No cut scenes for important moments in life.

- No private school.

- No dog house.

- No cleaning skill.

- It's really impossible for my pets to breed with strays. I tried everything but there is no option to get them to interact with each other beyond the "be nice " interaction. Only after I adopted another pet did the "breed" interaction succeeded on the second try and only NOW do my pets autonomously nuzzle with each other. Before that, they barely acknowledged each other beyond the occasional hissing from a cat.

- Hobbies. If they do a pack about it, then I would like it to be even more detailed as it was in S2.

- Deaths/accidents. I like how they cry all over the place and that there is a different moodlet when they directly witness a death even if it doesn't always work. I don't like how they react for strangers who also get the "death of a loved one" moddlet and they don't react AT ALL when sims die in a different lot. There is just a notification that they passed on but no reaction at all from my sims who build strong relationship with the deceased and it's bugging me a lot. Death rarely happen in my game, the only time it does happen is in this apartment that has the gremlins trait in which all electronics broke at night while my sims are sleeping. I also let food on the stove for hours multiple time without any fires and I'm not scared when fires happen since all sims are experts to extinguish fires.

- I'm not a builder at all but it's sad they don't have the choice to build their own apartments or their own world. They should give us the tools to best satisfy all play style even if I don't use it as often as they do.

- No cars but it's not really a deal breaker.

- My sims can't go to the hospital lot unless they work or if they are pregnant. Sick sims can't go there and need to buy medicine which is weird. Sims also can't go to the two other profession lots unless they're working there but sims can go to the veterinarian lot any time even when their pets are fine.

+ Speaking of aspirations, even if it bums me out that there is so few of them, I like how they did it in S4. This feels like an updated version of S2 aspirations and more detailed. For example, I always hated how the the romance aspiration worked in S2, if you chose it, it's basically like if you chose the serial romantic aspiration in S3/S4. I liked how S4 gave us a choice in what kind of romantic aspiration I wanted for my sims. Now if only they gave us more complete and balanced aspirations I think this would make things better (aspirations with more options to choose from).

+ I feel like there is definitively more objects/clothing, especially thanks to the gender customization. There seems to be more customization options in S4 than in S2 without third party programs.

+ No store and free updates.

+ Teenagers can "mess around".

+ Children can take care of themselves when their parents leave the household.

+ Can easily switch between sims on different lots in live mod and can control what sims does when I don't control them (build skills, take care of themselves, what they do at work etc.)

+ No random maternity clothes.

+ The Parenthood GP is the closest to a generation type pack in S4 and I don't think they will do another for this version. It did a lot to make me invested in my toddlers/children/teens. Provides lot of gameplay possibilities. Too bad YA and older life stages stop getting character values, I liked that a lot and it seems to integrate things from other packs as well so it's even better.

-/+ multitasking needs more improvement. It's great for socialization but our sims still can't talk to each other while building skills.

-/+ Babies tied to the bassinet is no deal breaker for me but I wouldn't be against more mobility.

• joBaggerjoBagger Posts: 37 Member
    As I see it, TS4 is far closer to TS2 than to TS3. Before TS4 came out I was so excited about it and read all available news and remember one of the Gurus say that with TS4 they wanted to return to the roots. So the better comparison would be TS4 vs TS1.
    But if we were to compare TS 4 and TS2, I think we all agree that TS2 has better gameplay, better graphics, it is better thought out.
    TS4, on the other hand, has far superior CAS. But , in my opinion, that is its only advantage. All in all, TS2 over TS4 absolutely.
  • BlueJeans04989BlueJeans04989 Posts: 84 Member
    The "no memories after the moodlet disappears" and babies tied to the bassinet are my biggest disappointments in Sims 4. Sims 2 was so fluid with their babies that I sometimes had to click on the crib and tell the parent to put the baby there just to find out where (usually in the snow) they left the poor kid. To me, although that's not at all realistic, it was/is hilarious!

And yes, I'm a bad simgod... I walk away from my keyboard from time to time. With Sims 2, if something bad happens, I can review the memories and figure out, at least to some degree, what went on while I was away. With Sims 4, "the world may never know...".
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    There are a lot of things about both games I like and dislike. I probably posted on this thread before. But mainly mechanics of the games. Pros and Cons of both.

Sims 2 Cons: I dislike the FT idles, so I modded them out. I disliked witches showing up on owned business lots so I modded them out.
    I disliked the BV townies barging into homes when we first got that EP. I disliked the easy peasy FT rewards..might as well play TS4 if it's going to be that easy. You know the ones that ease off on bladder, energy, hunger etc. No, I like my Sims have to fill motives.

I disliked the AL 'greet' everybody when my Sim visited a community lot. No, I don't want to meet that Sim. That just about ruined TS2 for me. I uninstalled AL for a very long time because of that, but I loved building apartments. I disliked the AL townies with a purple passion.

I finally learned turning things at a 45 degree angle (mostly dressers and chairs/sofas, end tables coffee tables) would not break my game so I never looked back. Most my homes have things set at a 45 degree angle..but it won't work out too good for stoves etc. Some things work just fine.

AL broke OFB, by making the owner have to greet every customer/ Sim before we could 'sale' so I modded it out.

One of the EPs..or a patch started making owners have to pay themselves and family members..that still irks me.

The mechanics I would add from TS4 to TS2 are the following: I would like to have TS4's feature to leave one Sim at a community then return home to play the other Sim. I really liked that. They would eventually come home on their own, so yeah, with big households it's nice to get one out of my hair sometimes. Now, in TS2 I just send one for a drive in the car to get them off the lot for awhile.

From TS4 I would add the feature to edit the Sims that are in the bin, change clothes, hair etc. I always want to change the TS2 townie clothes, without having to sell them an outfit or have to cheat. That's a good feature to have.

I wish TS2 had some open spaces near my Sims' homes, so it would feel more busy on their street. That's a good feature in TS4. So, I added mods to TS2 to add more walkbys and Cars! It works great. But might be too much on some huge lots to have a lot of cars and Sims walking by.

I loved introduce to so and so in TS2. But TS4 has a feature to ask about so and so, and or talk about so and so. This can make the other Sim like/love the Sim they are talking about (this has many different options) I wish I had that in TS2.

There are things about TS2 that TS3 or TS4 have like photo skinning. Take any picture of a real person and paste and build a skin of that person and it looks just like them. We had that in TS1, too. I'm not really all that good at it, but I keep trying. It was easier in TS1. So, as far as CASt which TS4 doesn't have I would like CASt from TS3 in TS2, but don't mind creating my own cc in TS2 which I find to be very relaxing and interesting to try to do.

There are only those few things I would keep from TS4 and add them to TS2. Oh, and save a room. I do wish I had that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.