Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If The Sims is only going to be a mobile game in the future then I am gone

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    If EA had wanted this then EA would have made PC versions of both the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile too just like most other game companies most often do with their mobile games. Only EA hasn’t done it for the mobile Sims games and won’t do it either. Why not? Of course because EA doesn’t want any TS4 or TS3 simmers to switch to those F2P games!

The reason is also very clear because several investigations have shown that only about 2.2% of the gamers use real money on their F2P games. Those 2.2% are very important for the game companies though. But the income from showing adds in F2P games is at least as important. Still this can’t compete with the hundreds of dollars that TS4 simmers use on all their packs. So there are no chance that EA will switch to mobile F2P games also for PC simmers in the near future.

But the market for mobile games has exploded and grown much faster than the market for PC games and the market for console games in recent years. So EA was forced to also try to get Sims games into those markets too anyway!

• jude72plajude72pla Posts: 784 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    If EA had wanted this then EA would have made PC versions of both the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile too just like most other game companies most often do with their mobile games. Only EA hasn’t done it for the mobile Sims games and won’t do it either. Why not? Of course because EA doesn’t want any TS4 or TS3 simmers to switch to those F2P games!

The reason is also very clear because several investigations have shown that only about 2.2% of the gamers use real money on their F2P games. Those 2.2% are very important for the game companies though. But the income from showing adds in F2P games is at least as important. Still this can’t compete with the hundreds of dollars that TS4 simmers use on all their packs. So there are no chance that EA will switch to mobile F2P games also for PC simmers in the near future.

But the market for mobile games has exploded and grown much faster than the market for PC games and the market for console games in recent years. So EA was forced to also try to get Sims games into those markets too anyway!
    This will slow down only when they become regulated by governments. Especially when state and local governments realize how much money they are losing through sales tax.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Same here! What the plum is EA's insistence that every game be online or mobile? They destroyed the Simcity franchise by making it online required. The Sims games are SINGLE PLAYER experiences! They've made millions and millions off of Will Wright's creative franchise and for some reason keep wanting to mutate it to be like the thousands of horrible to average mobile games saturating the market! The Sims series is near and dear to my heart. There truly is nothing else like it out there! They had easy access to people's wallets if they just kept releasing quality packs that dig into great ways to play. THAT IS ALL THEY HAD TO DO! The Sims was a phenomenon that EA is illogicaly slicing and dicing into some plum mobile product that will be nothing but a shadow of the game's original genius premise.

I was thinking about Will Wright as well. This game started out as a PC game as did the Sim City games and spinoffs before it. There was no mobile games in 1990, 1995 or 2000 and not in 2004 or 2009 either so why now? Who said that this is the 'step forward' considering that game play wise an mobile game will still be a step backwards

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Right I am going to share something her quickly.

I saw this a while ago, it is an unofficial fan remake of Tomb Raider 2 and after watching these lets plays I can say that it is the best Tomb Raider make in years. The graphics are beyond what you see in most games and it is very real. Now if only they could do this for The Sims. Take the best from the past but with new graphics and moving the game forwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqCdLtL4FXk

I sometimes feel like Simmers are being cheated out of their experience

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If Sims goes mobile I'm gone as well I have no interest in any phone based game they are all basic and boring.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    Same here! What the plum is EA's insistence that every game be online or mobile? They destroyed the Simcity franchise by making it online required. The Sims games are SINGLE PLAYER experiences! They've made millions and millions off of Will Wright's creative franchise and for some reason keep wanting to mutate it to be like the thousands of horrible to average mobile games saturating the market! The Sims series is near and dear to my heart. There truly is nothing else like it out there! They had easy access to people's wallets if they just kept releasing quality packs that dig into great ways to play. THAT IS ALL THEY HAD TO DO! The Sims was a phenomenon that EA is illogicaly slicing and dicing into some plum mobile product that will be nothing but a shadow of the game's original genius premise.

I was thinking about Will Wright as well. This game started out as a PC game as did the Sim City games and spinoffs before it. There was no mobile games in 1990, 1995 or 2000 and not in 2004 or 2009 either so why now? Who said that this is the 'step forward' considering that game play wise an mobile game will still be a step backwards

Because everybody now owns a smartphone, because mobile games generated about $46 billion in 2017 and because the market for mobile games is exploding especially in China. See http://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/comment-and-opinion/67626/h2-2017-china-mobile-games-market/
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Because everybody now owns a smartphone, because mobile games generated about $46 billion in 2017 and because the market for mobile games is exploding especially in China. See http://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/comment-and-opinion/67626/h2-2017-china-mobile-games-market/

Games on mobile are not true games. They are just mind numbing content. I will never join the mobile based genre.

Smartphone games are basic games. The Sims was never originally a basic game and any attempt to make it one would be a cruel way to treat the series

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    If the future of this franchise is mobile, I wouldn’t stick around. I like one mobile game (Animal Crossing pocket camp) but that’s it. I strongly dislike the sims mobile and free play and even playing it to pass time say in a waiting room the way I do with Animal Crossing, it’s just not a fun and enjoyable experience.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited April 2018
    come on:
    The sims mobile is the evolution of the sims freeplay and in no way will it canabalize the sims 4. What happened was that some officials were expensive to work and they are seeing that a new and smaller team in the sims mobile is doing a good job. The younger you are on the market, the cheaper your salary is. I do not believe the sims 4 is going to die. We have unpublished content that was already in progress. I think we'll still have news this month or the first week of May.

About the sims mobile, do not hate the game so much. The team has done a great job and he's being taken care of in a very cool way by the team. Despite the micro-transactions, you can play totally without spending a real one. In the first levels it gives you a simple experience, but as you move past lvl 16, you get new ways to recharge energy and new ways to play. The stories give depth to the game. Not like on the sims PC but still it is a good game.

And dont worry about all the rumors. There are many simgurus still in the sims 4 project.
    Just wait for the news.

That is not the Sims game that most of us want to play. If EA have success with the mobile games good luck to them but it looks like they are making a kind of "loot box" arrangement via Sims because they have been rumbled in other games.

If it does denote the nearing end of the PC game I will still have the games I bought and stick to them with modders' help but goodbye EA.

There's still Solitaire -sigh. :(

Smartphone games are basic games. The Sims was never originally a basic game and any attempt to make it one would be a cruel way to treat the series

Even that isn’t true anymore. Just look at https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/classic-pc-games-play-android-device/ and see how some of the biggest PC games just a few years ago now have been transferred to mobile devices where we therefore can play the full games. I still remember trying Baldur’s Gate, XCOM: Enemy Within, Doom and so on when they a few years ago were too big for most PCs. But now I can even play them on my tablets :)

Even that isn’t true anymore. Just look at https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/classic-pc-games-play-android-device/ and see how some of the biggest PC games just a few years ago now have been transferred to mobile devices where we therefore can play the full games. I still remember trying Baldur’s Gate, XCOM: Enemy Within, Doom and so on when they a few years ago were too big for most PCs. But now I can even play them on my tablets :)

They are not Sims games though... :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

They are not Sims games though... :no_mouth:
    No. But in a year or two EA could even make TS2 or TS3 available on Android and iOS too. So we shouldn’t just give up :)
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm getting a Dungeon Keeper vibe from this, back in 2014 when EA decided to turn a popular, classic PC game into a mobile game. It seems like EA is going in that direction with the sims. I guess EA just thinks all non-sports/ fighting games (such simcity) should be turned into mobile games some bizarre reason. :'(:'(
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited April 2018
    I had the mobile app on my phone, I deleted it last night. I downloaded it the day it was released and managed to play it for a few hours out of curiosity, and never spent a dime in it, but ultimately I got so incredibly bored with it my eyes started to cross. I haven't played it since and now that rumor has it that it may kill the real thing, I want nothing to do with it. The mobile versions are just not fun. The play structure is incredibly limited and the the other word I used to describe it in another thread was claustrophobic. You just can't pour all of your thoughts, feelings, and stories into a mobile app. Sorry EA, but I think you're making a terrible mistake.

I'd add "repetitive" and "uncreative" to the list.

Part of the beauty of the Sims series as it has developed is that you don't do the same thing every day. Maybe one day your Sim plays hooky from work/school and goes out to look for produce or crystals. Or maybe you spend all day working on your Hacking skills. Or instead of playing the game, you fine tune a house or venue with new content if you've picked up some packs recently, or you remodel a house to add a basement gym or meditation room. Maybe you go into Manage Households and give some of the neighbors a makeover with new CASsets. You don't have those options in a mobile game -- everything is settled around your own household. You can't even go and visit a friend; they have to come to your house.

The creativity of the Sims also appeals to many people. As the game developed we've seem some spectacular builds, even with the limited build tools we've had available in Sims 4. We've also seen how players have been able to take the general structure of Sims 4 and use it to create CC and mods. You lose that creativity with a mobile game; you're limited to what the developers determine is the function of the game. If the slogan of Sims 4 is (allegedly) "You Rule", the slogan of Sims Mobile should be "Take It or Leave It."

I'm playing Sims Mobile because it's something I can just pick up and do on my tablet, so if I'm out and about I can get a quick fix. But The Sims for PC, whatever the iteration, will always be my main game. I want that creativity in my Sims game, where I can build/remodel without having to wait to reach a specific game level, where I can make Sims or download from the Gallery that are just background characters to my Sim's leading role. I don't want the majority of my Sim's lives to be centered on their house; I want to build museums and restaurants and bars. I want workouts and conversations that last longer than 5 seconds. I want toddlers and children that are more than just objects to occasionally interact with when the game says it's okay.

If the Sims 4 is the last PC version, I can see myself happily playing for many years down the road. Maybe I'll actually install CC to go along with the mods once the last update has been released. And maybe EA will sell the rights and technology to a company who understands the simulation genre and do it right. Maybe Will Wright decides to buy the rights, start a new company and get the game back to its roots. Who knows? I'll just enjoy the game for as long as I can.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited April 2018
    I wouldn't like Sims 5 to be a mobile game. :(

That would be even more limited. We probably will never get a color wheel or open world if Sims 5 is a mobile game.

It's unimaginable that a game from 2009 (The Sims 3) offers more creativity and freedom than newer games
    Post edited by FreezerBunnyCowplant on
    a256aFi.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

It's not just smartphones now either -- the rise of the mini-tablets (like the iPad mini series or some of the smaller Android tablets like the LG tablets) have opened up markets to mobile gaming. A game that might be hard to play on a smartphone (especially for folks with fat fingers) could work perfectly well on a tablet.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

It's not just smartphones now either -- the rise of the mini-tablets (like the iPad mini series or some of the smaller Android tablets like the LG tablets) have opened up markets to mobile gaming. A game that might be hard to play on a smartphone (especially for folks with fat fingers) could work perfectly well on a tablet.
    Mini tablets aren’t very popular - except maybe as a first device to give to kids who aren’t old enough for a smartphone. Statistics show that medium sized smartphones are way the most popular devices for mobile gaming. Except maybe after 8pm where many mobile gamers switch to playing their games on tablets instead - and obviously because they then most often are at home and therefore prefer to use a device with a big screen.
  • BumbleeBee18BumbleeBee18 Posts: 2 New Member
    Mobile is kind of claustrophobic and repetitive. There's no way I'd spend as much time on it if I owned the PC version. With the newest update the layout glitched for a day to be able to see from all the angles and all over the current gameplay area, that was interesting. For some reason they designed an elevated highway with glowing blue traffic lanes in the downtown area, behind all the other buildings. There's so much Sims Mobile could become, I'm not giving up on it but it's difficult to progress and so frustrating to completely delete a house just to build something new. I really want to upgrade to PC.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    PC only for me too. I don't do mobile games. Truly sad if the PC version of Sims is coming to an end.
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    After playing The Sims Mobile for a while (and deleting it last night for good), I can see now why EA stopped FreeSO from being ported to Android. TSM wouldn't have a chance competing with FreeSO. I think calling TSM a Sims game is insulting.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I don't own a tablet and I don't want to play computer games on phone.

I want games on my PC. Fortunately I still have fun with older games on disk. I can also still access Sims 4 through origin.

Is it possible they are continuing along with sims 4 with stuff packs and games packs? Maybe they are just eliminating the Expansion packs? I hope so at least.

But I will not continue on with sims if it goes only the mobile route-- and I've been playing since the day The original sims was released. Yes I am older, maybe that's why the thought of my beloved sims only available via mobile is so awful to me.

Cell phones are horrid for typing and gaming. Look at all the typos I made (I'm on phone now).
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Absolutely not interested in being a mobile platform gamer. No way, no how.