Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA firing employees at TS4 or moving them to mobile. Is this the end?

https://simsvip.com/2018/04/19/maxis-update-multiple-sims-4-simgurus-fired-others-moved-to-mobile-teams/

What does this mean for us?
Cutting TS4 budget even more and making the team smaller means, even less quality and quantity. And for how long?
Is this the end of TS as a PC game? Or do you think is because some budget is being put towards the development of TS5? Personally I doubt, as I have been fearing for a long time I think EA wants from now on the Sims to be just a mobile game.
Maybe this opens the door for other companies to start developing a Sims like game?
What do you all think? I just woke up to this news and haven't thought about it for long. But it seems very straight forward what's happening.
My First Pet Stuff was only the beginning of the closing down process I fear.
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    If this is true, then it really could spell the beginning of the end. I hope The Sims doesn't completely morph into a mobile game though, because that would be the beginning of the end of my patronage (although MFP kind of did that already for me)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    edited April 2018
    here's another link.
    simscommunity.info/2018/04/19/several-maxis-veterans-working-on-the-sims-4-got-laid-off-by-ea-for-budget-reasons/

Sadly i dont think we will get any kind of response to this any time soon. due to the upcoming "exciting news" mentioned in the past month when we didnt get a new quarterly teaser trailer. hopefully exciting news means they are building a new sims 4 team that will vastly improve the sims 4 beyond its current capabilities, or it's time to put this disappoinment of a game to rest and move onto the sims 5 (New and improved back to what worked edition).
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited April 2018
    Deleted
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    MiSFiT203 wrote: »

"I get the impression that they want to milk what they have for as long as they can and then kill it off. It doesn’t fit the overall company strategy neatly and they don’t want to deal with the complication."

This statement says it all...
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2018
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    This thread is going to be closed, no doubt.

I'm afraid it will, but I'd like to father as much info as possible before they do :)

Thanks for the Reddit tip!
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2018
    Thats the death knell of EA about to behead yet another gaming company/franchise - EA's digital graveyard must be nearing full capacity by now
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member

I'm afraid it will, but I'd like to father as much info as possible before they do :)

Thanks for the Reddit tip!

I also screenshotted all the comments made by the person, so may the stuff ever get mysteriously ''lost'', I got it covered. ;)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I don't think that it is fair to talk about employers who might be losing their jobs but maybe some staff are moving to other areas?

The Sims 4 will not last for ever of course so maybe things are changing?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,178 Member
    I just want EA to know one thing, Mobile Gaming is a leech on gaming in general. It's fine to put little spinoff games on Mobile but don't you dare make Sims 5 mobile or it's the end of your franchise.....well okay fine, won't be the end because there'll be plenty of people who don't look into the big picture and instead go "Oh wow, Sims 5....for FREE!!!! This is amazing! Why yes, I'll gladly pay real money for this digital currency I can use to unlock careers! It's a freeeeeee game!" and make you guys billions of dollars because that's how mobile gam-you sneaky devils.
  • BellanotBellaBellanotBella Posts: 14 New Member
    This does have me worried, I'm an avid player of The Sims series; if they stop progress on the series all together, there will be a huge retaliation from the Simmer community. It's sad to see EA's microtransactions leaking into other beloved games. I really do hope this "new Sims 4" experience will start the engine for a better development team and more content of higher value and more gameplay value. My First Pet showed only the Simmers' retaliation to a Stuff Pack, imagine them reacting to the entire series coming to an end -- it would be absolute chaos.
  • OxanaPihlajamaaOxanaPihlajamaa Posts: 153 Member
    Well, plummity plum. Now I am really curious what the "big news" is gonna be. If it's TS completely going mobile, I'm out. I uninstalled it quite a while ago, coming back to the PC version. If they give us Seasons and that's the end of TS4, they're not getting me on their "free portable" plum. If there is ever The Sims 5, which seems unlikely at this point, I hope it's still on good ole PC. Otherwise they can shove it.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited April 2018
    Like Maxis Salt Lake, BioWare Montreal, Visceral, and many other studios, The Sims Studio will be closed.

Need For Speed was made by EA Black Box, today it's made by Ghost Games.

The Sims will continue to be developed by other studios. Patrick Söderlund want the studios be flexible.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Doom and gloom! Doom and gloom! Wake up people, companies restructure all the time. It's how they stay in business. Let's not assume the worst until the worst happens.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited April 2018
    Yes, Tomb Raider still exist even if Lara is no longer Lara...

A new game for a new generation of players, it's always like that.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Check reddit.

There is a ''former SimGuru'' spilling a lot of beans.

However we cannot verify if it's a REAL guru, but the comments he made are really worrying.

According to him they haven't even started with The Sims 5 since the creative leadership is gone.

Look at the Sims reddit and for 'fashionPolice2001' comments... Again; we don't know if it IS a real guru, but it sounds legit to me. It's not the first time guru's hop on forums to talk about it anonymous.

The account is most likely real. Their only previous comment on Reddit is that one of the offices in the Science Lab is decorated as a homage to X-Files. This is kind of trivia only people who have worked on the game would know.

And I’m not surprised in the slightest if no work has started on TS5. Things are changing fast, in the entire video game industry really. The people who think EA would still follow the old “new game every 5 years” have no clue what’s going on.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t think this is good news for the Sims 4. Laying off employees that have been there for over twenty years? Not a good sign.
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    The Sims franchise is dying. I've been warning people about this since 2015. Guess I was right.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • nasTdudenasTdude Posts: 95 Member
    OMG seriously EA this is how we go out not with a bang with this pile of garbage game TS4 it was a mobile game destined to fail from the start and now if these rumours are true EA you done stuffed up.
    Mobile is not the way forward.
    No way will I ever play some silly mobile game.
    You guys are infuriating I have been waiting patiently as TS4 just feels so meh!. I can't play it without seeing something that is so lack lustre.

This EXCITING news better not be. You can play ts4 on ur phones now woo.... I hope you get boo'ed.

peace Im out!.

R.I.P franchise
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited April 2018
    I've caught wind of this as well. I just couldn't put my finger on why things seem to produce at a crawl now.
    I've since then fell back on The Sims 2 and occasionally 3 because of this content drought.

Like my girlfriend said, I'd rather see this franchise go out with a fight versus them outright axing the franchise itself so abruptly.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I don't believe the person on reddit knows anything the things that they're saying are to vague its like a fake psychic going I see a man he's old
    did you maybe have a grandfather me why yes yes I did the psychic I'm getting something something with a p did your grandfather wear pants me yes now your freaking me out
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Doesn't someone have a link to the reddit thread?
  • nasTdudenasTdude Posts: 95 Member
    its the first topic in the sims on reddit don't be lazy :P
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top