Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Order?

nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
Hi Sims 4 Lot gurus! I just wanted to get some tips on how to build lots in a methodical way.

Right now, I'm assuming the best way to build is this:

Walls > Doors > Windows > Lighting > Furniture/Objects > Floor > Wallpaper > Decorations > Roof

Is that close? I'm curious if you folks have a build order, and if so, in what order do you do them. Also curious if you don't have a build order, and just wing-it. I'm hungry for tips as I'm starting to build more lots that have stories in them.
TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png

Comments

• jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    Interesting question!
    I never thought about a specific order. It depends on the house I say. Sometime I want to recreate a curb appeal I've seen in real life or one that I had in mind. Sometime I try to build a house I've seen somehwere and so I often find myself starting from the outside and work myself to the interior layout. Then of cause furniture and decoration.
    Inside I start with all the simple necessities, this kind of furniture sims can't live without, then I give them some skill objects and then I clutter the houses. Room by room, area by area.

But my order usually would be: Walls - Doors - Roofing - Windows - Siding - Landscape- Layout of the rooms - Floor - Wallpaper - Furniture - Objects - Clutter

Sometime I build an entire house around a specific color of an object I like (say a bed or a couch or so...)
    I hope that helps. :)
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Thanks @jhgkjhgkjh ! Definitely helps. Just want to get ideas on a process since I want to start building more lots.
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    My order when building things is in a different category. In my case, it goes like this:

Exterior> Roofing> Landscaping> Interior Walls> Room Layouts> Furnishing> Designing> Minor Details/Finishing Touches> Playtesting
  • XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    I usually start with the room layout, sketching it on paper before I actually start building. If I have a general idea of what sort of shape the house is supposed to have, I'll do the layout like, "If I put the dining room here I can have a bow window here which will give me the sort of shape I want on this side," and so on. My basic idea is that the rooms have to make sense first.

Once that's done, it's: Walls - refining the layout - windows - doors - roof - wallpaper/floor together - furniture/objects for the kitchen or bathroom, whichever one I see first - furniture/objects for the rest of the house - clutter/decoration - landscape - lighting.

It's only by accident that I leave lighting to the end: unless we're talking about standing lamps in the living room or an especially grand chandelier that I want for the dining room, I always forget about lighting in general until I'm in the middle of doing the landscape. Lighting is more important than clutter, so by rights it should be dealt with before clutter ... but, like I said, I always forget.

Also, I have this thing about nice, round building costs. My last step is always to edit to bring the cost either up or down to a multiple of 1000, which generally means trading clutter for more essential items, and often involves slight changes in the floors and wallpaper as well.
    edited April 2018
    Thanks @pronterus and @Xinqun ! Hopefully more will share their build orders. Maybe I can do an average or statistic on it by the end.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    I, personally, use floor plans when I being a build. I love working off actual floor plans so I get a better realistic layout and flow to my builds. From there I start with the walls and rooms one the main floor, then the second, then I add the roof to complete the basic shell. From there I go on to the windows, doors and siding, and begin the layout for the exterior landscaping and design. Then I do the furniture and much of the decorating. Lately, I have been leaving the flooring and wall colours to the end, so I have an idea of the colour scheme of the rooms. Not all floor flatter certain furniture or wall decor, so I leave that to the end.
    misscbong wrote: »
    I, personally, use floor plans when I being a build. I love working off actual floor plans so I get a better realistic layout and flow to my builds. From there I start with the walls and rooms one the main floor, then the second, then I add the roof to complete the basic shell. From there I go on to the windows, doors and siding, and begin the layout for the exterior landscaping and design. Then I do the furniture and much of the decorating. Lately, I have been leaving the flooring and wall colours to the end, so I have an idea of the colour scheme of the rooms. Not all floor flatter certain furniture or wall decor, so I leave that to the end.

When you say floor plans, do you mean actual sketches or drawings?
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Furniture > walls/floors > lighting
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    The first thing I do is find the center of the lot and put a shrub there so I can see where this is. I use those like guides so the build looks balanced when I'm done. Next what door do I want, a two space or three space. That way the door will center correctly. Doing this first makes everything else easier, at least for me it does.
  • itslouisitslouis Posts: 24 Member
    +1 for doing roofing as soon as the exterior walls are in place. Friezes before windows too! Learn that one after a few instances of losing all your windows
    Thanks all!

I was watching Deligracy and made notes on how she builds her amazing creations. At a glance it looks like this:
    • EXTERIOR
      • Shape of building (Walls)
      • Doors and Windows (ext)
      • Roof
      • Landscaping (ext)
      • Wallpaper (ext)
    • INTERIOR
      • Walls and Doors (Floor plan)
      • Placeholder Lights
      • Flooring
      • Furnishing: Basics (room by room)
      • Furnishing: Details/Accents (room by room)
      • Wallpaper
      • Specific Lighting

Yikes! A list, you say. But I enjoy me some lists.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    @nastyjman - I mean I find house floor plans online, used for architecture and building actual houses :)
    misscbong wrote: »
    @nastyjman - I mean I find house floor plans online, used for architecture and building actual houses :)

That's awesome! I may have to look at some just to understand the flow of things.