Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 logic vs real life

Comments

• WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    It is impossible to leave a double bed other than on the side you climbed in. Rolling over to the other side or crawling out anywhere else is out of the question. If something is blocking your path (other people, pets, books), you have to stay in bed until they are gone, or you died from starvation. On or the other.

(I never buy my sims washing machines, if I can avoid it. I had a weird bug at some point, which caused clothes piles to appear, without a washing machine or a laundromat anywhere in sight. Couldn´t find out a solution at that point, so that family now have their machine. Perhaps reseting the lot with Nraas mc would have worked).
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Not just double beds. I've had sims with cats get woken up by the cat, but were unable to actually get up because said cat went to sleep next to the bed. Another sim collapsed in exhaustion because a cat was sleeping on their half of a bunk bed (the other half was for when the toddler aged up to Child). This teen also tried to go nap on the couch, but another cat was sleeping there. So "pass out on floor over and over again" became the sim's default option. Despite the fact the parents were out of town due to the Vacation opportunity so THAT bed was available.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • pax1swpax1sw Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2018
    pax1sw wrote: »

When the wish to buy a washer or dryer comes up for one of your sims, just say "NO!" If there's no washer/dryer there won't be any dirty clothes. Your sims will just twirl into their outfits without leaving a pile of dirty clothes behind. However, don't know if a Laundromat in your town causes piles of clothes to appear for your sims or not, since I don't use that community building.
    @pax1sw Now you sound like my brother. He refused to put a washing machine in his sim house. Maybe it's not a bad idea... but it will never work in real life. :)

Thank heavens TS3 isn't real life! LOL I play it to escape, and laundry is one of the things I'm escaping from. A world where clothes stay clean without ever needing to be washed is a PERFECT world, far as I'm concerned. :D
    Funny thing, in a sim world without a laundromat I had an Architect sim get a commission for a townie who wanted three laundry hampers. But when I threw in a washer and drier he refused to accept the job as completed. But when I removed the washer and drier, he was happy.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Funny thing, in a sim world without a laundromat I had an Architect sim get a commission for a townie who wanted three laundry hampers. But when I threw in a washer and drier he refused to accept the job as completed. But when I removed the washer and drier, he was happy.

@Faerie197 I never really liked professions. When I am doing more work than my Sims... we've got a problem. Lol. I did the architect profession, and I kept getting denials and the house was called a squalor.
    As I learned, you need to have a LOT of architectural drawings in your sim's portfolio before you start trying to accept jobs. Otherwise they'll reject a job even if you meet the exact requirements for it. The fashion designer profession is much more forgiving.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Lol. I did the architect profession, and I kept getting denials and the house was called a squalor.
    One of the sets of reasons this can happen in addition to the portfolio thing would be due to pre-existing conditions that have nothing to do with the job your sim was taking on. If the residential lot does not have enough beds, for example, for the current household living there, you will get the squalor complaints (even if what you were working on was the home office or kitchen). Bunk beds do not always register as two sleeping slots and often enough unpartnered YAs or older will each require their own double-beds to satisfy that requirement. Babies, toddlers, and pregnant sims each require a crib of their own. The lack of a fridge onsite would also do it.

The lot may have met the family's needs when they acquired it, but of course things change as sims are born and age up over time; it's always been annoying that inactive sims have no way to purchase their own furniture without having to move to a new house just because they are currently lacking one bed or crib.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Not just double beds. I've had sims with cats get woken up by the cat, but were unable to actually get up because said cat went to sleep next to the bed. Another sim collapsed in exhaustion because a cat was sleeping on their half of a bunk bed (the other half was for when the toddler aged up to Child). This teen also tried to go nap on the couch, but another cat was sleeping there. So "pass out on floor over and over again" became the sim's default option. Despite the fact the parents were out of town due to the Vacation opportunity so THAT bed was available.

Wait, the cats sleeping on all of my bed, so I have to sleep on the floor, happens in real life, too. :D:D:D

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
    KevinL5275 wrote: »

Wait, the cats sleeping on all of my bed, so I have to sleep on the floor, happens in real life, too. :D:D:D

The thing is... The top half of the bunk bed and the master bedroom's bed were still available. yet the teenage sim kept passing out due to "no bed is available".
  • MineWarsMineWars Posts: 16 Member
    Criminal career level 10 Emperor of Evil/Master Thief in jail for only hours
    If you lock your door, your sim and neighbors will be unable to get through the door, even if their life depends on it. Burglars and repomen can get through a locked door effortlessly. The door just opens for them.
    edited April 2018
    MineWars wrote: »
    Unless you play a lifespan of over 30,000 sim days, a "few hours" of a sim's life is representative of much more than just that. Could be weeks or more than an entire month (guess that doesn't sound like a very strong mathematical argument for the short jail sentences, though).

Maybe we need to build more jails for them. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Yeah, on the default lifespan one sim-day is equivalent to 1 year of their life.

Which means that if a teen gets grounded, they are grounded for TWO YEARS.
    It's funny how taking vacation days from work works in the sims games. In Sims 2, you simply don't show up to work. In Sims 3 & 4, you call in a few hours before your work shift. That would not fly in real life. In real life, you must give a few weeks notice.

Maybe life should be more like the sims. B)
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    MineWars wrote: »
    Unless you play a lifespan of over 30,000 sim days, a "few hours" of a sim's life is representative of much more than just that. Could be weeks or more than an entire month (guess that doesn't sound like a very strong mathematical argument for the short jail sentences, though).

Maybe we need to build more jails for them. ;)

Sorry if I missed the joke but I belive @MineWars intention was sim-hours, and it is not so logical to let go the Emperor of evil after a few hours. Having said that, I think in real life it can happen too, they put some high profile criminal mafia guy in custady for a few days and then letting him go because there is not enough evidence for a trial. What the sims reality really lacks is the judicial system, speaking of sims logic :wink:
    It's funny how taking vacation days from work works in the sims games. In Sims 2, you simply don't show up to work. In Sims 3 & 4, you call in a few hours before your work shift. That would not fly in real life. In real life, you must give a few weeks notice.

Maybe life should be more like the sims. B)

Actually not to brag or something but in my job it's kind of close... I can take a day off/ few days off in a relatively short notice (yet the approval is depending on the workload at that time...) And the "call in sick" is very realistic too :lol: (not that I take advatage of this... but I know people that do :innocent: )

Sorry if I missed the joke but I belive @MineWars intention was sim-hours, and it is not so logical to let go the Emperor of evil after a few hours. Having said that, I think in real life it can happen too, they put some high profile criminal mafia guy in custady for a few days and then letting him go because there is not enough evidence for a trial. What the sims reality really lacks is the judicial system, speaking of sims logic
    It was not a joke (that part wasn't, anyway).

Humans tend to live for over 30,000 days. Sims tend to live for 90, maybe 180 or 360 sim days, depending on how the player has arranged their game. Even with a life span of 1,000 sim days, one sim day is a much higher percentage of a sim's life than a day in the life of a human is, therefore one sim hour is a much higher percentage of a sim's life than an hour is to us as well.

I did go on to agree that although a few sim hours behind bars is therefore the equivalent of much more than it seems, it's not enough to be an appropriate consequence for serious crimes or the evil emperor thing. It feels more like the equivalent of a Time Out that a teen would get for talking back to their parents. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2018
    igazor wrote: »

Sorry if I missed the joke but I belive @MineWars intention was sim-hours, and it is not so logical to let go the Emperor of evil after a few hours. Having said that, I think in real life it can happen too, they put some high profile criminal mafia guy in custady for a few days and then letting him go because there is not enough evidence for a trial. What the sims reality really lacks is the judicial system, speaking of sims logic
    It was not a joke (that part wasn't, anyway).

Humans tend to live for over 30,000 days. Sims tend to live for 90, maybe 180 or 360 sim days, depending on how the player has arranged their game. Even with a life span of 1,000 sim days, one sim day is a much higher percentage of a sim's life than a day in the life of a human is, therefore one sim hour is a much higher percentage of a sim's life than an hour is to us as well.

I did go on to agree that although a few sim hours behind bars is therefore the equivalent of much more than it seems, it's not enough to be an appropriate consequence for serious crimes or the evil emperor thing. It feels more like the equivalent of a Time Out that a teen would get for talking back to their parents. :)

Oh I'm sorry apparently I didn't understand to the end earlier (written language + language barrier).
    I view the sim days as a sample of days from their life. Sort of a collection of their more interesting days (of course, this is relative too and depends on sim's lifespan). But per day- I feel like it is more or less representing real life time proportions. Half a day at school, a few hours on a date, 8 hours sleeping etc... and all the routine days that are basically the same- just not included in the sample. (In real life a routine day could contain a "special" event as "the elevator did not work today", but the sims just don't get into these resolution of events...)
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    In TS3, not only can you travel the world for just a few hundred simoleons, many have of us have seen that you can take your personal vehicle on the plane (?) with you, navigating it into a remote valley apparently accessible only by dirt paths too narrow even for bicycles.

But what happens when you're a sergeant, and your personal vehicle is a police cruiser? And when you drive said police cruiser to the Forbidden City to do a little light shopping? (Or maybe raid a tomb conduct a thorough search for evidence of valuable artifacts criminal activity. Of course it's my jurisdiction. Shut up. Yes, I definitely have a warrant, and no, you can't see it. You ask too many questions.)

lrRNyOA.jpg

Apparently, not only do the locals accept this blatant disregard of any semblance of boundaries, but the regional authorities have also declined to raise any objection. Really.

zU3ViSd.jpg
  • harmonia_nectere7harmonia_nectere7 Posts: 33 Member
    Whenever you visit a neighbors house if you dare open their fridge, you're being inappropriate, plz leave don't touch my leftovers, but if a sim comes to MY house they can just climb right in my bed when they get tired.
    Whenever you visit a neighbors house if you dare open their fridge, you're being inappropriate, plz leave don't touch my leftovers, but if a sim comes to MY house they can just climb right in my bed when they get tired.

Talk about hypocrites. This just happened to me twice yesterday. One sim invited himself to my house and the game even made a point to send me a notification saying something like "Don't mind if I slip in, hope I won't be a bother, if this isn't a convenient time for you, it won't bother me". Then he went into my bed and slept.
    In TS3, not only can you travel the world for just a few hundred simoleons, many have of us have seen that you can take your personal vehicle on the plane (?) with you, navigating it into a remote valley apparently accessible only by dirt paths too narrow even for bicycles.

But what happens when you're a sergeant, and your personal vehicle is a police cruiser? And when you drive said police cruiser to the Forbidden City to do a little light shopping? (Or maybe raid a tomb conduct a thorough search for evidence of valuable artifacts criminal activity. Of course it's my jurisdiction. Shut up. Yes, I definitely have a warrant, and no, you can't see it. You ask too many questions.)

Apparently, not only do the locals accept this blatant disregard of any semblance of boundaries, but the regional authorities have also declined to raise any objection. Really.

I would love to keep a car in my inventory. I wouldn't have to spend a long time looking for parking spaces or paying criminal amounts of money to park a car.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    pax1sw wrote: »

When the wish to buy a washer or dryer comes up for one of your sims, just say "NO!" If there's no washer/dryer there won't be any dirty clothes. Your sims will just twirl into their outfits without leaving a pile of dirty clothes behind. However, don't know if a Laundromat in your town causes piles of clothes to appear for your sims or not, since I don't use that community building.
    @pax1sw Now you sound like my brother. He refused to put a washing machine in his sim house. Maybe it's not a bad idea... but it will never work in real life. :)

What you want to do, is build a laundromat somewhere in town. Then you can go there, and pull some dirty clothes out of, where ever sims keep stuff, and get the clean clothes moodlets for a week or two w/o having piles of dirty laundry all around the house.
    I like how the quality of the bed you purchase restores your energy faster, thus requiring less sleep. On the flipside, napping on the couch restores your energy quite slowly.

If only I can find an efficient bed in real life, I could get more stuff done.
  • jennydb91jennydb91 Posts: 23 Member
    I think the way the traits work, defy logic sometimes.

For example, my sim child with the "shy" trait has a twin sister who is social butterfly ++. Of the two, who is the first to bring a friend home? AND to visit a friend? Yes, the shy kid. Even though she gets the "uncomfortable"-moodlet.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited June 2018
    When your sims is friendly as trait and has a grumpy face thinking of getting friends. xD
    When your sims improve a shower for a friend and he has a grumpy face suddently at you when you tell him. Then he tells you hello and after he is grumpy again.
    The hot-headed sims are often grumpy. :(

other logic from pets.

When you are a one star celebrity because a friend of the sims you play is a one star celebrity (contagion effect by the way) and your dog is nice not aggressive he starts to be aggressive with the mailman/postman before he didn't care of him. I don't know why lol.

Celebrity is an illness you catch it by contagion. xD As if you speak to any celebrity you meet you become a celeb in your turn ahahahah.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top