Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Soooo about Mods...

13...Next

Comments

• AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited August 2014
    Cinderellimouse wrote

Lots of mods can be modded! If you look in the descriptions the modder will often list which settings can be edited to tweak different things. Some basic knowledge of S3pe/modding is required. Zerbu put up some tuning files which he already set up, you just pick the one you want and install it alongside the mod. There is also a custom tuning file, that's the one I used to set it so sims do not lose performance when not using career objects. It helps that Zerbu is pretty awesome and helpful and basically told me what exactly I needed to change! :oops: :D I'm afraid actually adding different individual objects to the list is beyond my modding capacities at the moment. :cry:

The settings I edited are:

<kAmountToDecreasePerformanceByWhenNotOnCareerLot value="0">
    <!-- Amount per sim-minute performance should decrease by when not on the career lot during work hours -->
    </kAmountToDecreasePerformanceByWhenNotOnCareerLot>

I changed the value to 0 so that I can direct sims can wander off the lot and do their own thing without the performance going down. An example would be my politician holding a rally at the park.

and:

<kPerformanceDecreaseWhenNotWorking value="0">
    <!-- How much performance should decrease by when not working -->
    </kPerformanceDecreaseWhenNotWorking>

I changed this value to 0 which means sims won't lose career performance when not using career objects. They still need to use the objects to gain work performance, but this means I have more flexibility to do my own weird imaginary jobs for sims. An example would be my journalist has to deliver newspapers to the newspaper kiosks (cc newspapers and kiosks from Around the Sims).

[/quote]

hmm. so you were able to alther the mod by only changing 2 variables to zero. Did you just do that in notepad, or do you need a special editor for SIMS files?
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited August 2014

hmm. so you were able to alther the mod by only changing 2 variables to zero. Did you just do that in notepad, or do you need a special editor for SIMS files?

You need S3pe from Simlogical.

Step by step:

* Download Zerbu's default tuning package for UC: http://zerbu.blogspot.co.uk/p/ultimate-careers-v3-tuning-packages.html

* Open the package with S3pe.

* Right-click on the xml and choose 'export to file'

* save it somewhere you can easily get to it (I normally make a new folder on the desktop so it's handy)

* keep s3pe open but minimise it

* open the exported xml file using notepad.

* change the numbers to 0 (or whatever you want to do). Save then close notepad.

* go back to s3pe and at the top of the box choose 'resource' then 'import from file'. Choose the edited xml. A box will come up, make sure 'replace duplicates', 'compress' and 'use resource name' are ticked.

* save. Then put the package in your mods/packages folder.

Hope that helps. :D
  • amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited August 2014

You need S3pe from Simlogical.

Step by step:

* Download Zerbu's default tuning package for UC: http://zerbu.blogspot.co.uk/p/ultimate-careers-v3-tuning-packages.html

* Open the package with S3pe.

* Right-click on the xml and choose 'export to file'

* save it somewhere you can easily get to it (I normally make a new folder on the desktop so it's handy)

* keep s3pe open but minimise it

* open the exported xml file using notepad.

* change the numbers to 0 (or whatever you want to do). Save then close notepad.

* go back to s3pe and at the top of the box choose 'resource' then 'import from file'. Choose the edited xml. A box will come up, make sure 'replace duplicates', 'compress' and 'use resource name' are ticked.

* save. Then put the package in your mods/packages folder.

Hope that helps. :D

Cinderelli, do you remember when I was frustrated because I was looking for a way to change the lighting mod parameters within S3PE without having to export and then import? Well, I found the way. :)

Find Notepad under Resource, as shown in this pic:

notepad_zpsb45c6170.jpg

Click on Notepad, and a window pops up. Make your changes. Close the window. Save. That's all there is to it. No need to export or import a file. Isn't that great? :D

clickonnotepad_zps352cdd3d.jpg

BTW, I tried to download the file you linked, for my pic example, instead of using Shimrod's mod, but I got a file missing error. Are other people able to access the file? Is it just something about my browser settings?
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited August 2014
    amjoie, thanks for your response. What you say is troubling. I use some NRAAS mods, but I have never had any indication that they corrupted my actual game files or done anything that a factory reset couldn't cure. If you haven't already you could run this past the break room in the technical forum and if you are not already a helper you should be.

Although things seem to have slowed down a bit since we don't have the new patch problems we used to have.
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited August 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    AmaraRena wrote:
    I would also love a Mod that allows you to dress your butler however you want. I want my smexy cabana boy 🐸🐸🐸🐸! ROFL!

Oh, and I wanna be able to edit him in CAS so I can MAKE SURE he's a smexy cabana boy! LOL

I actually just wanna be able to change Sims' work outfits in general. Sometimes I just don't like what various NPC workers are wearing darn it! LOL

I don't play careers, so I haven't tried it -- but I thought since Showtime, that you could choose a second work outfit, through the plan option of the dresser. I don't think you can alter the first one the game chooses, but you can add a second one and then put them in that before work. They should always use the second one, after that.

Does anyone know if this still works after the patches between Showtime and now?

I do know there is a mod somewhere at TFM’s Naughty Sims Asylum that makes sims not change into work outfits at all, which means you can dress them any way you want, for work. There is also one to not allow the various martial arts uniforms.

I don't mean my active Sims, I meant the NPC Sims. If they are wearing work outfits you can't cheat them into CAS in order to change their outfits.
  • MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited August 2014
    amjoie wrote:
    The following is my PERSONAL OPINION, and is written from my perspective and from my personal experience. I do not ask for anyone's agreement, nor am I trying to change anyone's mind. I don't want to argue about it, and I won't answer any replies about it. Just take it for what it is -- personal opinion. Please.

The method to remove the awesome mod from a save was discussed ages and ages ago. I don't trust that it still works, because the one time I tried, that method seemed to fail. So assume the mod cannot be removed.

You won't get help from Pescado's site. You'll get yelled at for asking, and probably flamed to a crisp. Don't post there. Not even while wearing a flame suit.

[cut for quote length]

And as far as not being able to remove the mod -- why would I ever want to remove it? I use it for a reason.

I just wish Pescado, himself, and his site by extension, was nicer and more user friendly. Sigh.

Amjoie, I have the utmost respect and fondness for you. It certainly was not my intention to start a debate or argument! :(

I am sorry you had a bad experience with Twallan's mods; I think you may be the first person I have ever read who has, where it was not user error. (I am not implying your issue was, you are too methodical with issues to make foolish mistakes!)

I have to admit I had not read the thread when I posted, and afterwards, I just glanced through it (too little free time with school out for summer!). I saw the mention of AwesomeMod and just wanted to add the additional information as I know that many people do not realize that your saves won't work without it in.

I used AM before I ever tried Twallan's mods (my husband's choice; he was tired of having to fix my game when EA kept messing it up!). This is going back a few years now so maybe the mod is completely different now, but it kept causing issues with my game back then so I removed it and found out the hard way, that every save I'd played with it in was unplayable.

I then did my own research and found Twallan's mods and they saved my game and allowed me to continue playign TS3. The NRAAs mods, along with advice from you and Writin_Reg, have allowed me to play the huge, bustling, alive towns I like and control as much or as little of the town as I want. I can't say it runs completely smoothly, I put too many demands on Story Progression for me to be able to play without any lag! But even with all these mods in, my game plays better then it ever did without any mods in.

I think Mods can be personal things. We all have our favorites and what is right for one person may not be right for another. Thankfully, TS3 has had very talented modders enabling anyone to play the game just about any way they want to. :)
    edited August 2014
    Amjoie and AldermanTom...

Thanks for pointing out notepad, Amjoie, it had slipped my mind because I'm in the habit of exporting files. That'd be easier.

I sent a message to Zerbu this morning but he hasn't got back to me yet.
    edited August 2014
    Amjoie, I have the utmost respect and fondness for you. It certainly was not my intention to start a debate or argument! :(

I am sorry you had a bad experience with Twallan's mods; I think you may be the first person I have ever read who has, where it was not user error. (I am not implying your issue was, you are too methodical with issues to make foolish mistakes!)

I have to admit I had not read the thread when I posted, and afterwards, I just glanced through it (too little free time with school out for summer!). I saw the mention of AwesomeMod and just wanted to add the additional information as I know that many people do not realize that your saves won't work without it in.

I used AM before I ever tried Twallan's mods (my husband's choice; he was tired of having to fix my game when EA kept messing it up!). This is going back a few years now so maybe the mod is completely different now, but it kept causing issues with my game back then so I removed it and found out the hard way, that every save I'd played with it in was unplayable.

I then did my own research and found Twallan's mods and they saved my game and allowed me to continue playign TS3. The NRAAs mods, along with advice from you and Writin_Reg, have allowed me to play the huge, bustling, alive towns I like and control as much or as little of the town as I want. I can't say it runs completely smoothly, I put too many demands on Story Progression for me to be able to play without any lag! But even with all these mods in, my game plays better then it ever did without any mods in.

I think Mods can be personal things. We all have our favorites and what is right for one person may not be right for another. Thankfully, TS3 has had very talented modders enabling anyone to play the game just about any way they want to. :)

I have respect for you and all the people who use the NRAAS suite, too. And literally everyone praises them. I positively KNOW that NRAAS has saved big and old games from exploding, because so many people say the only way they can play their game is to use the mod suite. And I don't want to make people feel bad about their chosen mods, either. Everyone has to play what works for them.

I didn't mention it, earlier, because at this late date it makes no difference. But the awesome mod, previously, needed constant updating, each time an EP/SP or patch was released. The first few versions he put out were always buggy, and people who followed his mod actually expected that, and did a flurry of bug reports to help him squash the inevitable bugs. I used to redownload his mod several times the first week, and sometimes more than once on the first day it was released. But in a short time, the awesome mod stabilized. And then it could go several weeks before needing an update. Regardless, I always updated weekly, just because he did tweaking to the mod, rather constantly.

Pescado knew people would most likely want to download his mod, and never think about it again, so he put an expiration date on it where it would stop playing unless redownloaded. However, waiting until then to redownload most likely meant playing the game for quite some time on a beta mod, rather than a fully tweaked mod.

I was never particularly vocal about recommending the awesome mod simply because it required a good deal of work to keep up with it, and because it could not be removed from a save. In fact, if the topic came up, it was usually to warn people it couldn't be removed, and wasn't for the faint of heart.

Now, though, the awesome mod is nearly in its final form. And it works better than any other mod out there. So I took the opportunity to say something, for the sake of people just considering mods, for the first time.

I used awesome mod ever since I started modding my long ago sims game. I trusted Pescado's expertise long, long before TS3 came out. So the transition from earlier sim games to TS3 was natural for me.

Twallen appeared on the scene with TS3, and offered an alternative to awesome mod, with a different philosophical approach, and what appeared (in the beginning) to be a "safer" approach. And Twallen got rave reviews, which I watched closely. But since I already trusted awesome mods, from previous games, I stayed with what I knew, especially since it was a "choose only one" situation.

In the very beginning, I occasionally slipped Master Controller into a factory reset game to take a peek at it, and it wasn't ever a good fit for me. It was way too much in-game fussing to accomplish the same thing awesome mod did quietly in the background. So I ignored NRAAS, for years.

In fact, for most of TS3, I ignored all the other small mods, as well. It got to the point that the only mod I used was awesome, because I just got tired of having to redownload several mods every couple months, especially since many early TS3 small modders made a couple useful mods and then disappeared, rather than doing the constant updating each EP/SP/patch. Which was grueling, to be sure.

And I always had an entirely mod-free game I played, as well, because I wanted to keep up with how the game acted entirely mod-free, since many people played that way. (I talked much more about my mod-free game on this forum, than I ever did about my awesome modded game.)

It has only been fairly recently that I have shopped widely for my "final" group of mods. I am determined to find just the right combination of mods that give me a smooth, safe, "played my way" game. And I haven't entirely decided what that will look like, yet.

It was because I have had my eye on Traveler for quite some time, that I decided to give NRAAS another try, shortly before Twallen quit modding. I was disappointed when I tried it. So I went back to awesome mod. Then after the other group of modders took over the mod, I decided to try it again, to see if the things I didn't like had been fixed. Nope, they hadn't. And Traveler was one of the most glitchy parts of the suite. So, I gave up on that dream. Regretfully.

I hesitated to say anything about my experiences with NRAAS. Primarily because I didn't want to make anyone feel bad and/or defensive about their favorite mod suite. But then I thought maybe a lone voice of caution might help someone just starting out, and I decided to take the unpopular stance.

All I wanted to do was give people a viable choice, and tell them to try things out, in their own game, so they could see for themselves and choose wisely for THEIR game. Because no two games are the same, and no one, in the final analysis, can make the choice but the players, themselves.

NRAAS will always save old, nearly ready to explode games. Awesome mod will always give smooth as silk play to optimized games. Most people will fall somewhere in between, and need to make informed choices. I just want happy simmers, so choose what works best for you, and never look back. :D

edit to fix quote, so it showed up blue and second edit because I fail at editing :P
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited August 2014

Amjoie, you might want to read what The Sims Resource is saying about moding the Sims 4.

As for AM I often thought about trying it, but I got confused about his installation instructions and I didn't want to put a 3rd party file in the actual Sims 3 installation files. Also I didn't like the rudness and meanness on his site. If you know of a place that has simple and updated instructions on its installation for a game patched to 1.67 I might give it a go in a new user data folder.
    edited August 2014
    Bronwin2 wrote:
    Amjoie, you might want to read what The Sims Resource is saying about moding the Sims 4.

As for AM I often thought about trying it, but I got confused about his installation instructions and I didn't want to put a 3rd party file in the actual Sims 3 installation files. Also I didn't like the rudness and meanness on his site. If you know of a place that has simple and updated instructions on its installation for a game patched to 1.67 I might give it a go in a new user data folder.

The awesome mod and separate config file (where you made choices for what you want the mod to do) go right into Packages inside the normal Mod folder. Only the Resource.cfg inside the regular Mods folder needs to be changed, to include a couple extra lines that awesome uses. Those extra lines will have no effect on a game that isn't using awesome mod.

But if you want to try awesome, just download my mod folder framework. It is already set up for awesome mod, and you won't have to change a thing. Just transfer any files you have in your current Mods folder, to the new Mods folder, and put the new Mods folder into your Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder. Then you are set to go. :)

Link for a Mod folder already set up for awesome mod -- can be used without awesome mod, as well:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dtidsn2sa4sd10i/Mods.rar

(But throw away the blueprints I made, if you don't want them. I left them in their for AmaraRena. The blueprints are the only extras, and everything else is just empty folders waiting for renaming, if necessary. You'll see what I mean when you open Packages inside the Mod folder.)

So, nothing of the awesome mod goes into any Programs folders. That was the old way of doing things, when ANY mods needed to be installed into Programs folders. But since EA made it possible for us to use a Mods folder right inside our The Sims 3 folder, awesome mod is used like any other mod, being put right in Packages inside the Mods folder. Nothing needs to go into any Programs folders.

Or are you confusing the FPS limiter with the awesome mod? The FPS limiter is totally separate, and can be used by anyone, whether they use the awesome mod, or not. The FPS limiter is put, along with its associated files, loose inside the base game folder. See my Know Your Game thread for pics and how that is installed.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/766086.page
    edited August 2014
    For those who wanted my tuning package for the Ultimate Careers mod, Zerbu kindly said I can share it! :Dhttp://www.mediafire.com/download/h04g26iw2t3tqf1/Zerbu_-_Ultimate_Careers_3.5_-_Tuning.package

I edited it so that the career performance will not drop if sims are not using the career objects and there is no penalty for leaving the lot. You can also open the package and tune it the way you want it.
  • AldermanTomAldermanTom Posts: 499 Member
    edited August 2014
    For those who wanted my tuning package for the Ultimate Careers mod, Zerbu kindly said I can share it! :Dhttp://www.mediafire.com/download/h04g26iw2t3tqf1/Zerbu_-_Ultimate_Careers_3.5_-_Tuning.package

I edited it so that the career performance will not drop if sims are not using the career objects and there is no penalty for leaving the lot. You can also open the package and tune it the way you want it.

WOW. Thank you, and Zerbu too. And thanks for the detailed instructions furthe up in the chain.
  • Katty0Katty0 Posts: 3,907 Member
    edited August 2014
    Cinderelli What lots do you use with this? and can they go to the regular science lot? Can they work the career in the regular way if i want them to?

I want this mod just want to be sure I understand it and how it works.
    edited August 2014
    Bump?
    edited August 2014
    Katty0 wrote:
    Cinderelli What lots do you use with this? and can they go to the regular science lot? Can they work the career in the regular way if i want them to?

I want this mod just want to be sure I understand it and how it works.

Mini explanation:

* The mod allows sims to work in 'open' workplaces, so they don't disappear inside a rabbithole.

* You need the rabbitholes (or rabbithole rugs) in the world to get the option to work in that career. I found I required a Town Hall rabbithole as the mod's interactions didn't show up on the rug, but you can hide it in a basement if you like.

* Once your sim is in a career, you click on the Town Hall in Live mode and choose Zerbu-->Ultimate Careers-->Enable/Disable Careers--> and then toggle the career you want enabled.

* Sims in that career will automatically travel to the lot that the rabbithole is on but they do not go in the rabbithole. They will automatically start using objects appropriate to their career. See: http://zerbu.blogspot.co.uk/p/ultimate-careers-v3.html

* You can choose ANY lot to be the workplace simply by clicking on the lot and choosing Zerbu, and then (something like) 'assign the career rabithole to lot'. Sims will now route to THAT lot to work.

* You can toggle the career on/off at any time. (When off the sims will return to the rabbithole as usual).

* You will need to build an appropriate workplace for them. I built Crumpleton with this mod in mind so it has many buildings which can be used as career workplaces. Like a bank for the business career (with computers/business planners/registers/whiteboards/etc).

Iron Seagull has reviewed the mod on his Youtube channel, but bare in mind he recorded most of them with older versions of the mod so it will work slightly differently. Use the videos to get an idea of what the mod does, not as a tutorial.

edited August 2014
    Thank you!!!

I have a sim in the science career and your description of playing your science sims intrigued me!!
    Ok, so can I use this to just change the Science career?
    @cinderellimouse I added your version of zerbus career mod, but nothing shows up in game? Do I need to download his too? (I have all of nraas mods so I do know how to install them)

Im so sorry to keep asking questions I just really want this mod lol
  • Cee618Cee618 Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2018
    amjoie wrote: »
    I use mods to stop coughing while eating/grilling

amjoie, could you please let me know which mod you use that stops coughing while grilling? I have a mod that stops coughing while eating, but my Sims still cough when grilling and it's so annoying. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks! :)

EDIT: P.S. The mod is for my Sims 3 game, not Sims 4.

• honeyhoney8honeyhoney8 Posts: 2,192 Member
    This is the one I keep seeing:

No coughing/choking while eating

Haven't used it myself, as the coughing doesn't bother me. Hope that helps. :)