Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My builds - Jude525

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Hidehi,

Thank you for the extra info this is another wish on my list of sims 3 things to do probably in a largish city based world where I have always wanted to send my sims to work where I could visit along with them but as I have only been using mods/cc since the finish of 3 I am still on a learning curve and of course I have other projects in front of that for now such as Rflong7's world which I don't really want to play that sort of scenario in..

For some silly reason when I saw your post I assumed if the rabbit holes were in the basement the upstairs world area of the lot could be built to play a career theme but then realised of course it wouldn't sims would still just use the rabbit hole in the basement the same way-) as for rugs I have used one for the first time recently and while I am grateful for the way they work enabling lots of a similar style themes to be used in various worlds where normal rabbit holes would look out of place but if I remember rightly the sims still disappear rabbit hole style when walking towards the rug.. so after this long ramble (apologies) I realise it's all about the mod I would need as opposed to the rabbit hole builds/styles

Thank you for those links I have instantly bookmarked them they are very interesting :)<3
  • Jude525Jude525 Posts: 1,699 Member
    @60smusicluvr Although I am considering alternatives on Lunar Lakes, the main focus of this project is to provide an option for building on a small lot for any world. I chose the Lunar Lakes public lots because the buildings are a consistent size and, as far as I know, the smallest of all the options.

@Hidehi your example is exactly what I was aiming for. How did you get it into a basement? Even with a sub-basement the game complained that the ceiling was too low. So I resorted to lowering the ground and burying it. I then just built a set of stairs straight down to that ground level. As I'd mentioned, I was still working on the exact depth needed to let me build an actual floor above it for the rest of the build. I didn't care that the sub-level was dirt rather than walls because it would never be seen in-game.

That being said, your solution is what I was aiming for and I'd appreciate your sharing the rest of the solution with me.

@SPARKY1922 Having access to more LL builds would be wonderful! I've tried searching the exchange with almost no luck. I think I literally found two lots. It must be something about how builders tagged their builds and/or how the filters on the page work.

As for rugs and doors, my other goal is to provide a non-CC option for people. Yes, the Sims still disappear for the primary purpose of the lot, but the space can also be used for a secondary purpose. Allowing for a more compact town/city/world. Enter one door in the building and disappear into the grocery store. Enter a different door and play interactively in a consignment shop.
    aka Jude
    I own the store as of 1+7/17/17

My Studio

My build thread in the Creative Corner
    Hi @Jude525

I understand that sometimes when we search for a specific lot we don't always find what we may be looking for but realised when searching I often came across other lots that would suit other worlds and saved them for future purpose as I went along.

I understand you requirement for CC free lots and normally I find CC free builds and add CC if I want to but anything I post here for you to look at has been advertised by the creator as CC free otherwise I would state that.

Would you like me to post some pics of the lots for LL I have saved? if so it may take up some room on the thread and I do not wish to hog the thread?

I think I really like the idea of basement rabbit holes where another lot can be built at ground level and used for something else but as I am such a sorry builder I would have to look around for those style of lots so I could then operate a community lot above the rabbit hole if you know of any?
  • SimCaitySimCaity Posts: 40 Member
    I've just taken a look at all of your builds and oh my, you are incredible! Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see more!
    Origin: caitlynmaree95
    @SPARKY1922 I'd love to see some of those lots. If you know how to use the "Spoiler" function, that would be great. I was going to say to go ahead and post anyway if not, but I realized that I don't want people mistaking other peoples' work as mine when they come to my thread.

I don't know of any combined lots now, which is why I've started my current project. But let me know if you have a specific request and I'll see what I can do. Have I mentioned the GIFT OF CREATION GAME *REBOOT* thread? I think I did in one of the other threads we share. It's a group of builders who take requests. It started as a contest with prizes. We aren't sure from month to month if prizes will be available, but we've all agreed to keep it going regardless. It's a way for those of us who build to get inspiration to do builds we might not have otherwise done. And it isn't just lots. People also request Sims and stories. Anyway, you don't have to donate a creation or prize to make a request. Just pop in and let us know what you are looking for. I am hoping to have a rabbit hole template available so that anyone can easily build any lot on top of any LL rabbit hole, so any of the builders could potentially help you out.
    aka Jude

My Studio

@SimCaity Thank you very much. I always enjoy finding out that someone new likes my stuff.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Hi @Jude525

I have no clue what a spoiler function is but am happy to comply if you can explain what it means prior to posting details of the LL lots..

The only current lot/sims build thread I know of I have used before is the DNA build thread I believe it is called where I have placed a number of build requests which have been beautifully fulfilled and added to the appropriate world I want to use it in ...

I still have so many things I want to try out in 3 there are hardly enough hours in the day lol
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hi @Jude525 ,

oops ... I'm so sorry I did not give you the full instructions on how to get the rabbit hole into the basement.

Here goes ... once you have chosen your lot and built your basement you will need to do some MOO-ing ;) ... pressing the shift, ctrl and c keys at the same time will bring up the cheat window ... as you are dabbling with CFE already that'll be nothing new to you.
    Type moveObjects on then press enter and hey presto you can move your LL rabbit hole into the basement without any problems ... and don't forget to build stairs or an elevator to connect to the ground floor.

You can do the same with all the other EA rabbit holes .... the game doesn't seem to render the building above ground and as long as the entrance to the rabbit hole is inside the basement and not obstructed it will work as normal.
    Criminal hideout in the basement of a 15x18 lot
    3NtFZ7Z.jpg?1

Above ground build whatever you like (this one is supposed to be an interpretation of a railway station)
    ndOAkCs.jpg?1

Hope that explains it well enough. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask and I will try to come up with an answer if I can. Happy Simming! :)
    @funkeeferret *sigh* It took more emotional energy than I thought it would, and about a dozen tries, but I managed to simplify Hydrangea Hedge for you. I then did some additional landscaping to try to fill in the gaps for things that were removed, including the entire balloon launch area. I actually like some of the changes. I was editing the lot in Lunar Lakes and the stark contrast of the default sandy ground made some original applications of terrain paint really stand out.

Allegedly, I've managed to remove all store content. But, since I know it uses build items from the Stones Throw Greenhouse, I know this can't be true. So, I guess this just means it contains only store content from venues? And from a handful of packs. Hopefully any substitutions from packs you don't have won't make any major changes to what is left. It should just be trees and plants at this point. Although, to be honest, in a garden, that's kind of a big deal. But, I've let go this much, I can trust your design judgment further from here on. And I do trust your design skills to do the lot justice. *smile*

Here's the link to the Exchange page. link

Post some pics of what you do with it. But please use the Spoiler feature. As I've mentioned before, I think it's a good way to avoid people getting confused about which posts are my work.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Actually, the invitation goes for anyone who chooses this option. Please share with me how you make this venue your own. Seeing it brought back to life will be great fun.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    edited March 2018
    Jude525 wrote: »
    @funkeeferret *sigh* It took more emotional energy than I thought it would, and about a dozen tries, but I managed to simplify Hydrangea Hedge for you. I then did some additional landscaping to try to fill in the gaps for things that were removed, including the entire balloon launch area. I actually like some of the changes. I was editing the lot in Lunar Lakes and the stark contrast of the default sandy ground made some original applications of terrain paint really stand out.

Allegedly, I've managed to remove all store content. But, since I know it uses build items from the Stones Throw Greenhouse, I know this can't be true. So, I guess this just means it contains only store content from venues? And from a handful of packs. Hopefully any substitutions from packs you don't have won't make any major changes to what is left. It should just be trees and plants at this point. Although, to be honest, in a garden, that's kind of a big deal. But, I've let go this much, I can trust your design judgment further from here on. And I do trust your design skills to do the lot justice. *smile*

Here's the link to the Exchange page. link

Post some pics of what you do with it. But please use the Spoiler feature. As I've mentioned before, I think it's a good way to avoid people getting confused about which posts are my work.

Oh, wow! Thank you so much, @Jude525! I really do appreciate all of the time, creativity, and emotional energy you put into simplifying Hydrangea Hedge for me. I'm so grateful! :blush: As a fellow Sim builder, I know how much work goes into building, modifying, simplifying, and all of that, so I am really thrilled that you did all of this.

Thanks for the additional notes. It will be interesting to see what it looks like in my game and what I will do with it. Just downloaded it now. :)

Thanks for the compliment. I hope I can do your beautiful lot justice. I'll be sure to use the Spoiler feature when I've got some pics to show.

Thanks again! Having you do this means a lot to me. :smiley:

***************************************************************************************************

*************************************edited to add a photo of Hydrangea Hedge in my game**************************
    @Jude525 this is your stripped down version of the Hydrangea Hedge Greenhouse. After downloading it from your studio on the exchange, this Hydrangea Hedge was placed in my game on the water's edge in Hidden Springs. I love how it looks there! In the space that you originally placed the Hot Air Balloon, (since I don't own it), I added more flowers on to your garden area and placed an outdoor love seat there. This space will be used to take outdoor wedding photos.

So for anyone looking at this photo, Jude525 built this wedding venue, then he modified it. All I added were a few minor changes since I do not own some of the wedding items.

Thanks again for your beautiful wedding venue and for modifying it for me so I could use it in my game. :)

F7pKY46.jpg
    Post edited by funkeeferret on
    @funkeeferret It looks lovely on the water. And it is nice to see the bubble bar and dance floor have found their way back into the pavilion. I'm glad you found a use for that back corner. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do with it once I had removed the balloon and just added a bit of fill. One suggestion though, I had taken out the all-in-one bathrooms that were functioning as port-a-potties, so restrooms might be a good addition somewhere. Maybe just a unisex single occupant unit placed somewhere unobtrusive?
    aka Jude

My Studio

• funkeeferretfunkeeferret Posts: 415 Member
    edited March 2018
    Jude525 wrote: »
    @funkeeferret It looks lovely on the water. And it is nice to see the bubble bar and dance floor have found their way back into the pavilion. I'm glad you found a use for that back corner. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to do with it once I had removed the balloon and just added a bit of fill. One suggestion though, I had taken out the all-in-one bathrooms that were functioning as port-a-potties, so restrooms might be a good addition somewhere. Maybe just a unisex single occupant unit placed somewhere unobtrusive?

@Jude525, thanks. Oh yes, I used all of your pics on page 1 as a guide so I knew what items were needed and where to put them. :)

About the bathroom.... When I was looking at your original pics, I saw what looked like a bathroom area. I wasn't sure where to find that tent you used to disquise that area, or if I even own it, though I hunted for it, lol, so I decided to just build a tiny bathroom with a sink, into the back corner of the pavillion. There are additional pics too, including one at dusk that I like.
    Since the pavillion was built on a platform, I was not able to add a door to the bathroom. The game kept saying, "Must be placed against a wall" ??? and I don't ever really use MOO, I just prefer not to. I think this added bathroom will do nicely. There's a sink in there too. I'm happy with it.
    I moved the bar area off to the other side of the pavillion, away from the bathrooms, though, to get rid of the eww factor, lol.
    87i1xGj.jpg

Here are the rest of the photos of the venue in Hidden Springs where Anipa and Sebastian are getting ready to book the Hydrangea Hedge Greenhouse for their upcoming wedding.

5DqooEi.jpg
    I love how you angled the chairs so I made sure to arrange my tables and chairs like that too. I also liked how you used the wedding buffet along with the Valentine's Day buffet, so I did the same.
    2wFuHKR.jpg
    CfdYYtu.jpg
    I really like this pic taken at dusk.
    Ii86Etg.jpg
    P3kY5YB.jpg
    pyyPdNr.jpg
    I see I forgot to add some of the outdoor lights, like the string of lights you used and other lights, so will get to that and any other finishing touches that are needed in the way of objects and flowers. Thanks again for making this available.
    Post edited by funkeeferret on
  • TuttyGamer8TuttyGamer8 Posts: 51 Member
    You are super talented! Wish I had your skills! <3
    @funkeeferret I think you've done a wonderful job filling in the gaps of Hydrangea Hedge 0.5. And the bathroom solution is a very clever workaround for the platform problem. (I will be using that!) Although I fully intended for you to make it your own, I am honored that you worked so hard to replicate my original creation. Had I the patience, I could have had you present me a list of exactly what you did and didn't have and take out only what was unavailable. But, I felt that since I was doing this I might as well strip it down to make it as versatile as possible.

The Protective Pavilion is part of the Duke of Bows venue. And, yes, using it the way I did does require MOO (Move Objects On.) However, I just did a quick test. If you have it and would like to use it, you can get two all-in-one bathrooms under it just by using the "alt" key while positioning them. It might require a little fiddling to make the routing work, but it should be possible. At the very least, I'm certain that one would functionally fit in the center where I didn't need to use any special moves to place it. It would then be a matter of using the "alt" key to place some shrubs to fill the "dead" space under the pavilion and make it more pleasant to look at.

A similar effect can be obtained with pieces from the Big Top circus tent from the World of Wonder collection. Although, it would take more space.
    aka Jude

My Studio

edited March 2018
    @TuttyGamer8 Thank you so much. I know I've said this before, but it is always true: I am always grateful for a new fan. :)

And keep a lookout at the signatures of others who post here for their own build links. I am friends with several other wonderful builders. Let me know if you want some links.
    aka Jude

My Studio

So, started working on a larger house for my current family. They will be marrying and need room and a more manageable floor plan for toddlers. (They live in a three level stilt home on Lunar Lakes.)

I wanted a grand, spacious central room. Well, that got WAY out of hand when I considered an underground connection through the basement up to the pool. Then I added windows between the pool and the basement. I've never done pool windows before and loved the way the light came through to the underground room.

This is where everything went down the rabbit hole. I put the pool in the center of the great room, with the basement the same size. Then placed an island in the center of that. I placed Nature's Soil rugs from Into the Future so that I could make the island a garden, including a tree.

The tree requires the house to be four stories. I surrounded the house with windows, essentially making it a giant conservatory/greenhouse. But the four story house just looked like a child's building block. So, I stepped each floor in a few squares, ending up with a ziggurat. It still looked too municipal. That's when it came to me; Hanging Gardens of Babylon!

So, Natures Soil rugs now cover the entire roof area, and that is planted with ground cover flowers. Ivy and wisteria are spread across the walls. Each level will be further planted with additional small trees and shrubs.

Here are some work in progress pics. Ignore any plants in the background. I've thrown multiples of almost anything I thought might work somewhere in the build onto the property for perspective.

The whole building.

7pofawR.jpg?1

The interior.

VjowcFh.jpg?1

The basement, with a view of the pool.

fnFYTNt.jpg?2

A close up of the plantings on the rooftops.

7pofawR.jpg?1

It's all subject to change. Although I'm pretty committed to the main structure. I'm not likely to start at the beginning after placing all the ground cover flowers. The original concept was to have rooms radiating in all directions, but I built it too close to the property line on one side, so that will be a compromise. I think in Sims 4 you can just lift a whole house. That would be great here. Custom blueprinting wouldn't work, since all the work is done on the exterior. *sigh* (Oh, wait, thought.... maybe if I add walls to the outside of each level, I can blueprint what would then be an interior room. Maybe the program would then grab the rugs and flowers. Not sure, since they are normally intended for outside, but I'll give it a try. No harm trying.)

I haven't even committed to it being a house at this point. It may end up a public pool or even a resort. Although it does meet my primary criteria for a home in that it will be on one or two levels when it's done. Updates to follow.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    The Hanging Gardens of Babylon is such a great idea, I think it would be maddening to hide all the resort stuff in the build. I wish they hadn't made it a requirement to have all that tropical themed stuff, the resort lot type could have been so much more useful if they had left it open-ended. Anyway, I think it will made a really interesting home or a great pool lot. It looks great so far, looking forward to seeing what you decide to do with it.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,578 Member
    Your Hsnging Gardens of Babylon WIP is looking so very great. :) You have designed it so very well! It looks very grand! The greenery on it looks very nice! Very nice rooftop area.
    It is looking so very nice! I hope that your work on it continues to go well :)
    @jessabeans, I've never built a resort before, so I'm not familiar with the requirements. I'll have to look into that. Maybe I'll start with the public pool lot. It'll be the easiest to finish, and I really want to get back to my game without leaving it a WIP. I can then go back later and expand it to something more complex. And if not, then at least I've made a playable lot. All the planting was REALLY complex. LOL And that was just the terraces. I still need to landscape the rest of the lot. 64x64. What was I thinking? Oh, yeah. Was going to get a horse. LOL again.
    aka Jude

My Studio

edited April 2018
    So, I've gone ahead with the resort option of the Hanging Gardens project. @Jessabeans I saw what you meant about the restriction when I discovered the need for a "tower." I got around that by burying a beach tower under a better structure and running some stairs down to the basement to keep it available for functionality. I'm pretty sure there's no reason to ever go down there in normal gameplay, and once I start game testing it I'll minimize the available space to keep Sims from loitering down there. But, otherwise, I think everything else is do-able without effecting my theme.

Here is a peek at how it is coming along...

z2FopfA.jpg?1

The "requirements" for a resort, as I understand them, are met. The pool is inside the main pyramid. There is a bar area to the lower right, across from the "party area." As mentioned, the tower is buried under the building to the left, with the check in desk and dining area on the main floor. The second floor holds the gym. The flat topped building in the center is a premium room, with en suite. A couple basic rooms are across to the far back left, with a shared bathroom in a separate building between them. (Not sure if that works, but I liked the concept.) Finally, in the far back there will be a wedding area.

This is a view from the opposite side, showing the standard rooms to the right and the premium room on the left.

17UNYJK.jpg?1

There will also be a secluded spa area on the right of the pool area with a couple massage tables and a sauna. I am trying to leave the back of the property pretty much empty so that the lot can be easily placed on a beach front lot. Assuming that there exists a 64x64 beach front lot somewhere in some world!

Right now I suppose it is a couples' only resort. I'm not sure what to do if a family checks in. I'll work that out in play testing. I have room to make adjustments if necessary.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Jude525 Burying the tower itself isn't so bad, it's about like any other rabbithole. You will need access to it if you want to use the spa services. It's if you want to fiddle with the resort stars ratings, you'll need a gym, poolbar, 2 firepits and a few other things that should work fine with the style you've chosen. It's coming along nice so far!
    edited April 2018
    I've got the gym and a pool bar. Thanks for the heads up on the firepits. I probably would have tossed one in just out of habit. They tend to show up on most of my properties. Especially since I've learned that you don't have to place all the chairs. Extra chairs will mysteriously appear as needed, the way things do in the Sims.

Based on the availability of blueprints, I assumed a bar, "party area" and wedding/chapel area are benefits as well. Of course, this is only relevant if I want to play as the resort owner. If I am simply going to place it and let my Sims vacation there, the details are less relevant. As long as they can check in and find a bed to sleep in. Although, since Michaela and Laz are both alien, they don't even need to sleep.

But, now that it is almost done, I do think Michaela and Laz will be having their wedding there. So, the chapel area will probably get some decent attention.
    aka Jude

My Studio

Wow, almost a month! Well, game update. Michaela and Laz have married and have two children, Zach and Sondra.

More relevant to this thread, the Hanging Gardens of Babylon Resort is complete and has been play tested. I think I've mentioned before that I've been lax in the past about play testing builds. Square rooms are generally safe. Luckily, I have NRaas's Overwatch installed. Because I got routing warnings night and day after opening the resort. I did several things trying to resolve the problem, from moving several plants, to building walls to keep Sims out of some planting areas completely.

Nothing was working. Then it occurred to me to check the "buried" resort tower. Sure enough, resort staff kept getting stuck when exiting the back doors of the building. I opened up the space around the building by a couple squares and suddenly all the routing notices were gone. By that point I chose to leave all the changes in place. Some actually made the build nicer.

The only thing I'm still keeping an eye on is that when I first visited the resort, after about a week of operation, the game had generated trash on the roofs of buildings, where maintenance staff couldn't get to it to clean. But, after I manually relocated it to ground level, I have not seen it happen again. Which is a relief. I couldn't imagine creating access to all the terraces of the ziggaraut.

I need to set aside some time to do a "photo shoot" before posting the build. But, here are two teaser shots:

z2FopfA.jpg?1

17UNYJK.jpg?1

Actually, these shots are not of the completed build. All the buildings are complete and as shown. But there is a LOT more landscaping and some of the service areas have changed, ie: the hot tub, the wedding area, and an interactive spa area. I promise to post it within the week.
    aka Jude

My Studio

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,578 Member
    It is great that you have finished the Hanging Gardens of Babylon Resort ! :) Other simmers have also had the issue that there needs to be free space around the hidden resort tower.
    The teaser photos of the build look very nice! :) Very nice exterior designs of the buildings! I will look forward to seeing the pictures of the completed resort with the added landscaping work. :)