July 27th - Bug Fixes! Catch up on the fixes with the latest patch click here
July 30th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!

About 3 and a half years into Sims 4, how would you rate it?

12345679...Next

Comments

  • holeofwonderholeofwonder Posts: 33 Member
    Solid 9 or 8, however it's the first sims game i've played so I don't really have any say so in it.
  • oldaccountnotworkingoldaccountnotworking Posts: 21 Member
    1/10, no open world.
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited April 2018
    I've been reading all posts since the first one. I think it is very significant that most people voting more than 7 points are the ones that haven't played previous sims games. For me that means that this iteration of the game is much worse than the others, because long time simmers have voted negatively.

    I agree with most of the opinions here. The core game has too many restrictions so you can't play the way you want. Too many buy objects but just a few game play features. The game is very childish, beautiful and perfect (no graveyards, no robberies, killings are almost impossible). For me this game is not a sandbox, everything is so rigid and static. Loading screens for everything. Worlds are very small. Too many opportunities lost in EPs, GPs and SPs (good ideas, good start, but the final product is just "meeh"). What is the point of the improvement of the build mode when there are very few new objects in the build mode? The sacrifice of the open world and CASt has not reduced the bugs in the game.

    The best sentence that defines this game is: "it's a beautiful empty broken shell"

    Beautiful => good graphics
    Empty => lack of depth, childish, static
    Broken => too many bugs even after the extreme simplification.
  • Mort_OpalMort_Opal Posts: 55 Member
    I'll give it a 5 or 6

    Reason being is because as it is better performance wise, because Sims 3 is sometimes a nightmare to run. But, the sims just seem.... bland. They lack real emotion to them.

    I wish they could redo these sims and give them the life they had in Sims 2.
  • damageincracingdamageincracing Posts: 275 Member
    I gave it a 2/10, mainly because I feel it's a giant leap backwards from Sims3. No open world, no transportation, loading screens to go ANYWHERE, limited game play. The list goes on and on. I find it harder and harder to click that "Sims4" icon on my computer, just because there's more to DO in Sims3...
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    5/10. Whilst some aspects are great, i.e build mode, Create a Sim and multitasking (which needs finessing in my opinion because it takes far too long to perform a single task.) It is very limited in other ways:

    Babies are mere objects
    Limited style choices on furniture (would be better if the Sims 2 type of swatches were used if they were intent on using swatches)
    Loading screens
    No open world
    I miss the cuddling in bed interactions (not sure why they were removed)
    No terrain editing
    Everything feels linear, there's no real risks.
    Emotions mean zilch: "Oh my mum just died" *Enters room with expensive painting* "I am ecstatic!"
    Stuff Packs are just recoloured items that already exist in the game
    Everything gets boring super fast
    It's too repetitive.
    All townies look like identical twins :#
    Female Townies look pregnant, why!?

    I could go on all day about my peeves all day, I have 20GB worth of mods to make the game playable, if it wasn't for the modding community I don't think I could play this game.
    2UFyFUV.png

  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2018
    8 of 10. I tried to review the game by what it is so I write a lot to justify it. Sorry for that.

    +1 Graphic - for the first time and after 4 years I feel that the team find a strong visual identity in the franchise. The game is still beautiful and doenst seems outdated. A game like the Sims doesn't need to be realistic. Some animations and situations don't fit with a graphic realistic game. Imagine how creep could be the Death in realistic graphics.

    +1 Optimization - all the others 3 generations was very bad optimazed. TS1 is fast to run today but in their time, a medium PC owner should wait for so long in loading screens that I did remember to send the sims family to vacation and gone to make another thing like lunch or take a bath while it load. Even in modern PC TS2 has difficult to run smooth lagging when we rotating the camera or make us wait some time to load a community lot. Even today, to play TS3 with all EPs we need to wait a long long time to the first load (some saves could be more than 15min). After that first load, CaS has their little delay too and the objects textures load in front of us when we are visiting a lot. Last year I installed TS3 to test and saw BSOD two times in 4 hour. As owner of medium config PC now, I still can play TS4 without any problem or big bugs with almost all EPs, GPs and SPs and the load times are still fast.

    +0.5 Neighboohods - We do not have an open world, but the mix between the closed lots of The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 with a big backyard to do some interactions like running, fishing or collecting things was a good solution to keep the game with a feeling that the neighborhood is alive and active. This helped a lot in the immersion. Obviously I would love not to have loading screens between lots from the same neighborhood but currently I do not consider this a serious problem as the loading screens are fast. But traveling between lots teleporting is a big problem of immersion because it breaks the context. I have hope that in the future this will be corrected with the addition of cars, bicycles, buses and etc. I do not see it as something that takes points out of the game because it is very common for me to press M to speed up the process of traveling and not to see the Sim walking for 1 hour until the end of the city. If in the loading screen one day I saw a car, cab or bus I will be happy.

    +0.5 Community Lots - The Sims 3 has open worlds, but many community lots were rabbit holes and If you wanted to open it, you had to spend a lot of money on the TS3 Store. I have not liked that since the base game. And the community lots that came with the expansions in that game were always very empty, different from what we saw in TS2 and TS1. I liked how in TS4 the experience of being in a community place comes back. I like that community lots are always full of Sims doing things. Once again I do not think we would need to have loading screens between lots in the same neighborhood but I will not give up live lots instead of loading screens.

    +1 Multitasking - Multitasking was a significant evolution in the franchise. Multitasking is so amazing when it works (and works well almost every time) that it's hard to play the old games. Watch a family sitting at the table talking, a teenage Sim listening to music while doing homework or a party where Sims talk in groups on the dance floor or sit on the bar stool are pretty significant game changers.

    +1 EPs - The EPs are much more general than those of previous generations but bring contents that makes the difference. I enjoyed playing in the active careers, I liked to create and manager retail stores, I liked the club system and the random events, I liked the festivals and the neighborhoods of the city. I can not imagine my game without these expansions. I do not think they are worth what they cost after the price increase but they really makes a difference to my play style. The only thing I did not like was that it was not possible to build your own apartment. I still do not have Cats & Dogs too so there's no way I can talk about it.

    +1 GPs -I liked all the GPs. ALL. I use a lot of everything that came in them. In all my saves, at least one family takes a vacation in Granite Falls, goes to the spa or practices yoga or goes to restaurants once a week. Parenthood was the best by far. I use this all the time. I don't have vampires and Jungle Adventures yet but by what I saw I will like them a lot.

    +1 SPs - I dont have all the Sps but the ones I have I use a lot, in almost all my buildings and saves. The Butlers, Popcorn machine and movie iteractions and earpods are my most used features. All my houses have a jacuzzi, the kitchen equipments from Cool Kitchen and the bathroom from fitness stuff.
    I bought theses SPs before the price incresed so i think that woth it.
    I do not have Luxury Party, Spooky Stuff, Romantic Garden, Toddler, Laundry Day and My First Pet So I can't say anything about it.

    +1 Build and Buy - There are big improvements in this mode. The push and pull system, copying and pasting and search bar was one of the things that changed everything for the builders and makes the game last longer. Even today with a lot of content, we just need some clicks to find some furniture and build something. The end result of simple houses is also a lot better than in previous games. There are details that make quite a difference as the finishes on the side of the floors and on the roofs.

    0 Outdated Neighborhoods - While on the one hand the new neighborhoods are incredible, the old ones are starting to get strangely outdated. The lack of a neighborhood editing tool is starting to get pretty serious in the game. Having the possibility of placing the food stalls in the windenburg square or placing the toodlers playground in a residential neighborhood would be very important to keep the old neighborhoods fresh.

    0 Difficult - The game is so easy to play. It's very easy to keep our Sims happy and out of dangerous things. It's very easy to be rich too. To build and mantain a big mansion with all the expensive furnitures. This is not good to a game like the sims be so easy. The random events are very rare too. I saw fire in my house only 2 times and i'v already play almost 1000 hours. My Sims never died from strange things.


    With all this said one more thing. Like a lot of players I miss a lot of features too but the game wasn't what it miss, is what it have. You can't review an horror movie cuz you miss the comedy.
    Post edited by Tutano on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Tutano
    • On my old computer starting Sims 3 (with all EP’s and SP’s) took 11 minutes all in, meaning using the launcher which isn’t even necessary I discovered later. On my current computer that’s 4 minutes.
    • Sim 3’s open world has as much open venues as the other games. Sure you had to buy them (through the Store or through packs), but the same goes for Sims 4. Or did you get the hospital and the restaurant in Sims 4 for free?

    Wholeheartedly disagree with a lot of other arguments but those are opinion. Just wanted to adress some false ‘facts’ ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,792 Member
    edited May 2018
    @JoAnne65
    Sims 4 had a number of venues that came with the base game on release. A gym, a bar, a lounge and a library. You could send your sims inside. There were also parks. I didn't explore the Sims 3 base game all that well but I remember going to the town center area and being disappointed that I couldn't go into the bookstore.. or the other places.
    Sims 4 also has secret lots in the base games.. not that there was much to do in them at the time but fish and collect, but they were also new areas that your sim could make their way into.
    Since you made a deal about "false facts" I thought I'd pipe up.
    egTcBMc.png
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Tutano
    • On my old computer starting Sims 3 (with all EP’s and SP’s) took 11 minutes all in, meaning using the launcher which isn’t even necessary I discovered later. On my current computer that’s 4 minutes.
    • Sim 3’s open world has as much open venues as the other games. Sure you had to buy them (through the Store or through packs), but the same goes for Sims 4. Or did you get the hospital and the restaurant in Sims 4 for free?
    Is the false fact that the game can run 4min less on your old PC than on mine? Or Is the false fact that your new PC is better than mine? Your experience is different from mine. I never have a good PC Gamer. Just this year I bought an SDD and I heard that this could help in Sims 3. But if to play a game that was released in 2009 fast, you should wait almost 10 years, I think there is something wrong. Do not you think so? Do you think Sims 3 is more optimized than TS4? Cuz that was what I pointed.

    Many players have asked for open restaurants since launch. And that came years later as a paid, expensive, and incomplete experience at TS3 store.
    After your comments, I'll guess you started playing on TS3. Because none of the community lots in TS3 had anything as close as an experience to play on a ts or ts2 community lot. And even if you play TS3 as it is, the community lots still are not as alive as it should be to an open world game. And ts4 has it again. And that's what I pointed out.
    Post edited by Tutano on
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Current average score according to poll results is 5.5 out of 10.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    Sims 4 had a number of venues that came with the base game on release. A gym, a bar, a lounge and a library. You could send your sims inside. There were also parks. I didn't explore the Sims 3 base game all that well but I remember going to the town center area and being disappointed that I couldn't go into the bookstore.. or the other places.
    Sims 4 also has secret lots in the base games.. not that there was much to do in them at the time but fish and collect, but they were also new areas that your sim could make their way into.
    Since you made a deal about "false facts" I thought I'd pipe up.
    Sims 3 basegame had an open gym, an open museum and an open library as well. And a beach and parks and a cemetery. Sims 4 basegame just had one secret lot I believe? (the tree) Sims 4 came with basically the same amount of open venues as Sims 3. The rest you’ll have to buy. I do make a deal about facts and everybody is welcome to refute them but maybe do some research first before you decide to pipe up?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    Tutano wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Tutano
    • On my old computer starting Sims 3 (with all EP’s and SP’s) took 11 minutes all in, meaning using the launcher which isn’t even necessary I discovered later. On my current computer that’s 4 minutes.
    • Sim 3’s open world has as much open venues as the other games. Sure you had to buy them (through the Store or through packs), but the same goes for Sims 4. Or did you get the hospital and the restaurant in Sims 4 for free?
    Is the false fact that the game can run 4min less on your old PC than on mine? Or Is the false fact that your new PC is better than mine? Your experience is different from mine. I never have a good PC Gamer. Just this year I bought an SDD and I heard that this could help in Sims 3. But if to play a game that was released in 2009 fast, you should wait almost 10 years, I think there is something wrong. Do not you think so? Do you think Sims 3 is more optimized than TS4? Cuz that was what I pointed.

    Many players have asked for open restaurants since launch. And that came years later as a paid, expensive, and incomplete experience at TS3 store.
    After your comments, I'll guess you started playing on TS3. Because none of the community lots in TS3 had anything as close as an experience to play on a ts or ts2 community lot. And even if you play TS3 as it is, the community lots still are not as alive as it should be to an open world game. And ts4 has it again. And that's what I pointed out.
    If I may quote you:
    Even today, to play TS3 with all EPs we need to wait a long long time to the first load (some saves could be more than 15min)
    That doesn’t imply personal experience, there’s a ‘we’ in there. I happen to be a simmer, so I am part of ‘we’. I never had to wait 15 minutes for my game to open. So no, ‘we’ don’t necessarily have to wait a long long time to the first load (and CASt has never given me any problems either). When you say “I had to wait a long long time”, that’s experience. When you say “we had to wait a long time” you present it as a general fact. And it’s not. I started playing Sims 3 in 2010 (basegame and WA) on a 2006 computer and the game would load in a flash. When I got more EP’s I bought a new computer and in the end (all EP’s and SP’s) that resulted in 11 minutes to load (I clocked it once, from putting in the disk, waiting for the launcher - 2 minutes - till the save opened). That was 2014. In 2014 I had to buy a new computer because the old one couldn’t run Sims 4 oddly enough (probably the video card; it would completely shut down after 5 minutes) and on that one it’s 4 minutes (clocked again). When I skip the launcher it’s even faster. My community lots in the game have up to ten, eleven sims, who are quite active. They talk, use other social interactions or they use features available on that lot. In fact they are a lot more fun than sims in Sims 4 who just ‘talk’ into thin air or just stand there.

    Did you ever play WA by the way, with its tombs? For me the best open venue experience in any of the games, they sure beat the temple. And I’m familiar with some of the Sims 4 open venues, it’s basically a collection of interactable items and in GTW’s case checklists. And the temple, which was a big let down for me. I loved the jungle for its open character and the exploring. I regretted there wasn’t much to explore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited May 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    Sims 4 had a number of venues that came with the base game on release. A gym, a bar, a lounge and a library. You could send your sims inside. There were also parks. I didn't explore the Sims 3 base game all that well but I remember going to the town center area and being disappointed that I couldn't go into the bookstore.. or the other places.
    Sims 4 also has secret lots in the base games.. not that there was much to do in them at the time but fish and collect, but they were also new areas that your sim could make their way into.
    Since you made a deal about "false facts" I thought I'd pipe up.
    Sims 3 basegame had an open gym, an open museum and an open library as well. And a beach and parks and a cemetery. Sims 4 basegame just had one secret lot I believe? (the tree) Sims 4 came with basically the same amount of open venues as Sims 3. The rest you’ll have to buy. I do make a deal about facts and everybody is welcome to refute them but maybe do some research first before you decide to pipe up?

    I think it also had the cave secret lot in oasis springs, or at least that was added in a patch if it wasn't there off the start. :)

    Tutano wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Tutano
    • On my old computer starting Sims 3 (with all EP’s and SP’s) took 11 minutes all in, meaning using the launcher which isn’t even necessary I discovered later. On my current computer that’s 4 minutes.
    • Sim 3’s open world has as much open venues as the other games. Sure you had to buy them (through the Store or through packs), but the same goes for Sims 4. Or did you get the hospital and the restaurant in Sims 4 for free?
    Is the false fact that the game can run 4min less on your old PC than on mine? Or Is the false fact that your new PC is better than mine? Your experience is different from mine. I never have a good PC Gamer. Just this year I bought an SDD and I heard that this could help in Sims 3. But if to play a game that was released in 2009 fast, you should wait almost 10 years, I think there is something wrong. Do not you think so? Do you think Sims 3 is more optimized than TS4? Cuz that was what I pointed.

    Many players have asked for open restaurants since launch. And that came years later as a paid, expensive, and incomplete experience at TS3 store.
    After your comments, I'll guess you started playing on TS3. Because none of the community lots in TS3 had anything as close as an experience to play on a ts or ts2 community lot. And even if you play TS3 as it is, the community lots still are not as alive as it should be to an open world game. And ts4 has it again. And that's what I pointed out.

    I started playing with the original sims and have played every version. My community lots worked just fine in ts3 as well. That honestly came down to the computer you were on. It really really did, maybe that was your experience but it is not everyone's.

    I also think plenty of ts3 lots rival ts1 and 2 lots.

    It's all opinion and circumstance. Kind of like how restaurants in ts4 a very buggy and none functional for some people and they are understandably cheesed because they payed 20$+ for it. Some people also have had issues with ts3 packs. It's just how it goes.
  • ZeoZeo Posts: 9 New Member
    The AI of TS4 is terrible, manage a family with more than two sims is a nightmare, even worse after the pet's update, I'm not a saudosist but for me there's no better Sims than 2, but I like a lot of TS3 just because it is open world and the expansion packs really brought life for the game, the expansion packs of TS4 are mediocre :'(

    I only don't rate TS2 high because the programation of the game is kinda wonky, no matter what PC you have the game have slowdowns, TS3 always run smooth but they have their share of bugs, in this sense TS4 is a lot more stable.

    I tried to support this game, but after the pet's update I'm not going to give a dime to EA, I'm not buying even the next Dragon Age (and I'm a fan of the series), EA needs to receive a good punch and have compromise in make good games again, EA back in the 90's was a synonymous of quality, when you saw that logo you knew that no matter what they released It was going to be a good game.
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks, we all have opinions but let's try to keep it focused on the game and try to stay away from whether something is a false fact or not. Otherwise, I'm going to have to close the thread down. Thanks! :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

    Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

    Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • TutanoTutano Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    @JoAnne65
    Sims 4 had a number of venues that came with the base game on release. A gym, a bar, a lounge and a library. You could send your sims inside. There were also parks. I didn't explore the Sims 3 base game all that well but I remember going to the town center area and being disappointed that I couldn't go into the bookstore.. or the other places.
    Sims 4 also has secret lots in the base games.. not that there was much to do in them at the time but fish and collect, but they were also new areas that your sim could make their way into.
    Since you made a deal about "false facts" I thought I'd pipe up.
    Sims 3 basegame had an open gym, an open museum and an open library as well. And a beach and parks and a cemetery. Sims 4 basegame just had one secret lot I believe? (the tree) Sims 4 came with basically the same amount of open venues as Sims 3. The rest you’ll have to buy. I do make a deal about facts and everybody is welcome to refute them but maybe do some research first before you decide to pipe up?
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Tutano wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Tutano
    • On my old computer starting Sims 3 (with all EP’s and SP’s) took 11 minutes all in, meaning using the launcher which isn’t even necessary I discovered later. On my current computer that’s 4 minutes.
    • Sim 3’s open world has as much open venues as the other games. Sure you had to buy them (through the Store or through packs), but the same goes for Sims 4. Or did you get the hospital and the restaurant in Sims 4 for free?
    Is the false fact that the game can run 4min less on your old PC than on mine? Or Is the false fact that your new PC is better than mine? Your experience is different from mine. I never have a good PC Gamer. Just this year I bought an SDD and I heard that this could help in Sims 3. But if to play a game that was released in 2009 fast, you should wait almost 10 years, I think there is something wrong. Do not you think so? Do you think Sims 3 is more optimized than TS4? Cuz that was what I pointed.

    Many players have asked for open restaurants since launch. And that came years later as a paid, expensive, and incomplete experience at TS3 store.
    After your comments, I'll guess you started playing on TS3. Because none of the community lots in TS3 had anything as close as an experience to play on a ts or ts2 community lot. And even if you play TS3 as it is, the community lots still are not as alive as it should be to an open world game. And ts4 has it again. And that's what I pointed out.
    If I may quote you:
    Even today, to play TS3 with all EPs we need to wait a long long time to the first load (some saves could be more than 15min)
    That doesn’t imply personal experience, there’s a ‘we’ in there. I happen to be a simmer, so I am part of ‘we’. I never had to wait 15 minutes for my game to open. So no, ‘we’ don’t necessarily have to wait a long long time to the first load (and CASt has never given me any problems either). When you say “I had to wait a long long time”, that’s experience. When you say “we had to wait a long time” you present it as a general fact. And it’s not. I started playing Sims 3 in 2010 (basegame and WA) on a 2006 computer and the game would load in a flash. When I got more EP’s I bought a new computer and in the end (all EP’s and SP’s) that resulted in 11 minutes to load (I clocked it once, from putting in the disk, waiting for the launcher - 2 minutes - till the save opened). That was 2014. In 2014 I had to buy a new computer because the old one couldn’t run Sims 4 oddly enough (probably the video card; it would completely shut down after 5 minutes) and on that one it’s 4 minutes (clocked again). When I skip the launcher it’s even faster. My community lots in the game have up to ten, eleven sims, who are quite active. They talk, use other social interactions or they use features available on that lot. In fact they are a lot more fun than sims in Sims 4 who just ‘talk’ into thin air or just stand there.

    Did you ever play WA by the way, with its tombs? For me the best open venue experience in any of the games, they sure beat the temple. And I’m familiar with some of the Sims 4 open venues, it’s basically a collection of interactable items and in GTW’s case checklists. And the temple, which was a big let down for me. I loved the jungle for its open character and the exploring. I regretted there wasn’t much to explore.


    In this topic http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/866726/loading-times you said that you had a high end pc. So with a high end PC you take 4 min? Well thats very optimized!

    And yes, I played WA and I'm not saying here that I hated TS3.
    I played WA, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Seasons and University Life.

    TS3 has both positive and negative points as well. It's not a 10of10 game either.

  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey folks, closing the topic now down. In the future please refrain from posting attacks towards each other over who said what when. Thanks!
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

    Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

    Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top