Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reinstalling Origin

lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
edited April 2018 in The Sims Medieval
Long story short, I've encountered a bug with Medieval that requires a clean reinstall of Origin. Not a guaranteed fix, but (according to EA) it's either that or clean-boot my OS at this point, and I really don't want to do that.

All of my other Sims games still work fine, and I REALLY don't want to have to reinstall the entire TS3 store if I don't have to.

The person I spoke to at EA live chat assured me that my store content and all previous games will remain intact... but, you know, it's EA, and I trust anything they tell me as much as I'd trust a 3-year-old to perform brain surgery.

So can anyone here confirm that my store content is safe? Or will I have to redownload everything?

If redownloading is necessary, can I pull my DCCache/Dowloads folder before uninstalling and use that to put everything back?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-von
I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the Origin client software should not affect your installed games nor disturb any of the content or game saves in their respective user game folders in Documents. If you are really apprehensive about this, you could copy or remove your entire game folder(s) from Documents before the procedure and, if you have removed them, put them back again when finished with the reinstall.

If a game folder is not there at all at the time a game is started up, a new one with no content at all (that can then be used for testing if desired) will spawn in its place, but it doesn't have to stay there if that wasn't the intention.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the Origin client software should not affect your installed games nor disturb any of the content or game saves in their respective user game folders in Documents. If you are really apprehensive about this, you could copy or remove your entire game folder(s) from Documents before the procedure and, if you have removed them, put them back again when finished with the reinstall.

If a game folder is not there at all at the time a game is started up, a new one with no content at all (that can then be used for testing if desired) will spawn in its place, but it doesn't have to stay there if that wasn't the intention.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!

Thankfully, someone helped find a fix for the Medieval bug that didn't require a full uninstall. S/he just saved me a ton of work (hence why I don't trust EA's suggested fixes 95% of the time), though this will be good to know for future reference.

Appreciate the assistance, as always :)
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif