Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No more hiding categories for the "Discussions" link?

Until now, I hid categories on the Categories page. I could still access them from the Categories page, but if I selected the Discussions page instead, I just got all the topics from the non-hidden Categories. That's gone now. Is it going to stay gone? It made keeping up with a handful of categories a *lot* easier than digging down into separate category menus :/
EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I just noticed this tonight as well. I wondered why I was seeing Sims 3 and Sims Mobile discussions when I had those categories hidden. I don't have anything against either one, I just have never played Sims 3 and I don't play Sims on mobile either so had no interest in seeing those topics. I hope this is just a mistake made during recent maintenance or something and will be corrected soon.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I didn't even know you can hide categories on here...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'll keep track of this because I'd like to hide some things also ....
    egTcBMc.png
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I miss it too, it was convenient to have all the categories you were interested in show up in the Discussions page
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi all,

The hide/mute category feature has indeed been removed as a part of the forum platform development.

Instead we have enabled the Follow function in the same place:
    cciuyb6kj4rg.png

Once you follow a category you can then sort the Recent Discussions page to show only discussions from Followed categories:
    fsdtigs8w7zh.png

Hope this is a good substitute :smiley:

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Awesome - thank you!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    @EA_Mage. Sorry, for some reason I can’t see all the pics on this thread (on iPad) so I don’t know if I am doing this correctly. I went through and clicked on the main category headings and selected follow, but when I then clicked discussions all that was showing was Forum Ideas and Feedback posts (stretching way back to the beginning of time).

Do I have to go into every sub (or child) category and individually select every single one I want to follow? I was only hiding the Sims 3 section, so it was quicker the way it was before. Also every time I click to follow a sub category it takes me back to the main category list then I have to go back in to select the next one. :|:|
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
    edited April 2018
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hi all,

The hide/mute category feature has indeed been removed as a part of the forum platform development.

Instead we have enabled the Follow function in the same place:
    cciuyb6kj4rg.png

Once you follow a category you can then sort the Recent Discussions page to show only discussions from Followed categories:
    fsdtigs8w7zh.png

Hope this is a good substitute :smiley:

Thanks,
    -Mage

Okay, thank you for the clarification but I still have a problem. I 'followed' all the boards I want to see in recent discussions, but when I click on 'discussions' at the top for recent discussions and then choose to view 'following' boards now instead of 'all' I only see threads from the Off Topic category and nothing else. I double checked to make sure I'm actually following them and I am. I followed your directions exactly as posted so I'm guessing there's a glitch involved?

It was a lot easier when we were allowed to just hide the boards we didn't want to see. I'm curious as to why this was changed to the new method? In my opinion it's not as user friendly. :(
    @Karababy52 The threads in Recent discussions are still sorted by most recent post. Off Topic is just a very popular section with a lot of threads. If you un-follow Off Topic do you see discussions form other categories?
    joleaco wrote: »
    @EA_Mage. Sorry, for some reason I can’t see all the pics on this thread (on iPad) so I don’t know if I am doing this correctly. I went through and clicked on the main category headings and selected follow, but when I then clicked discussions all that was showing was Forum Ideas and Feedback posts (stretching way back to the beginning of time).

Do I have to go into every sub (or child) category and individually select every single one I want to follow? I was only hiding the Sims 3 section, so it was quicker the way it was before. Also every time I click to follow a sub category it takes me back to the main category list then I have to go back in to select the next one. :|:|

@joleaco That sounds like it is working as intended - you would have to follow every category you wish to follow individually.
    Also every time I click to follow a sub category it takes me back to the main category list then I have to go back in to select the next one. :|:|

That sounds like something we can take look at for the future as an enhancement for this - thank you for the feedback!

-Mage
    @EA_Mage I tried what you suggested, unfollowing the Off Topic thread and when I did that, I couldn't see any threads when I chose 'following' in recent discussions. It said 'No discussions found.' I checked again and I do have multiple other threads that I'm following so I don't know why it won't work for me.

I know Off Topics is popular, but it wasn't showing just the most recent, it was showing ALL the Off Topic threads and only those when I was following that thread along with others. :(

For some reason the follow feature is only recognizing the first thread I followed and ignoring all the others. Any ideas why?
    Hi @Karababy52 ,

Could you give me an example of a category your following in addition to Off Topic? For example, I tested this just now on my account by following Off topic and The Sims 4 General Discussion categories and discussions from both showed up.

Thanks!
    -Mage
    Sure, I'm also following every board under the Sims 4 category with the exception of "The Sims 4 Modding & Custom Content" and "Community Stuff Pack Project." That's it. :)
    edited April 2018
    Mhm Interesting!

Just to make sure did you follow the categories from the main forum page or did you go into the category and follow the "child categories"?

For example if you want to follow The Sims 4 General Discussion you would need to select the Follow option after entering The Sims 4 › Discussion category.

-Mage
    edited April 2018
    Ah, okay, maybe that's why it didn't work for me. I followed boards from the main categories page. I didn't click on each categories' header and then follow individual child categories from there. The Off Topic category doesn't have any child categories so perhaps that's why when I choose 'following' it only shows that category? If that makes sense. o.O

I'll try to follow child categories as suggested and see if it works for me and let you know. Thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated! :)

EDIT: @EA_Mage Cool, it works for me now! \o/ :) #thumbsup
    Glad to hear that @Karababy52 !