Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Terrain Textures issue

I've been experiencing this issue quite a lot of times this recently.

Every time I either start a new game, move households to another lot, or even placing downloaded lots from the in-game community gallery. Most of the terrain textures are black.

I've tried repairing the game. But all files have been successfully verified. I'm not sure what's causing it. But its annoying as because I end up having to re-spray the textures all around the lot. Just to fix it. Which is the only workaround I can do. But tedious when I have to do it all of the time.

032418_24705_pmZESzQ_display.png
sims_forum_sig01OxVtU_display.jpg
YouTube: Good Sweet Games | SoundCloud: GAMESuite Tunes | Pinterest: GAMESuite Pins | Twitter: GAMESweetG

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there.

Try deleting the cache files and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.

If the issue remains, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site
  • GAMESweetGGAMESweetG Posts: 1,214 Member
    Hi sorry for the late reply. I've started experiencing this issue with Team Fortress 2 unexpectedly as well. As certain things are black, missing textures.

My computer has Nvidia GeForce 740M and I've just updated it to the latest driver. But since I'm experiencing the problem with another game. I was wondering how can I clear my Nvidia shader cache, so it can generate fresh shader cache?
    YouTube: Good Sweet Games | SoundCloud: GAMESuite Tunes | Pinterest: GAMESuite Pins | Twitter: GAMESweetG
    edited April 2018
    Hi I've found your other topic that you commented on about this issue.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/878591/objects-appear-black-or-incomplete

However I've been playing The Sims 4. For quite sometime now. And everything was alright before I had my computer serviced last year in October.

My computer specs are for my Toshiba P70-A 18 inch which costed over $3000 AUD are as followed below.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 740M 8gb dedicated graphics
    Intel HD 3rd Gen 2gb integrated graphics
    CPU i7 2.52ghz
    500gb SSD
    1tb HDD
    DVD-RW Burner

Last year I had my computer serviced due to a Windows Memory bluescreen crash error. The computer technician that repaired my computer. Had tested everything. And all parts checked out healthy. And the computer technician told me that the lifespan is exceeding over 1000 days.

So I know it can't be my computer. I tried reinstalling a clean install of Nvidia graphics.

However I don't fully trust the computer technician that I took my computer too. As before I had my computer serviced. Everything was great for the graphics. I'm fearing that the computer technician had partly tampered with my computer's parts. Or damaged them whilst testing them. Plus the computer technician stole my USB stick that I loaned for him. To install a bootable Windows 10 tool on it. To get it out of a stuck bluescreen error. If another bluescreen error arisen. The computer technician claimed that he put my USB stick in my laptop bag. But when I decided to use my older Toshiba L70 which I also had serviced at the same time as my main one. The USB stick wasn't in my bag with the service receipt. So I have a bad feling that computer technician was dishonest with me. As he lied claiming that he put my USB stick in my laptop bag. I've checked all laptop side pockets and compartments. No sign of it. So the conclusion is I doubt that he fully was honest or fully repaired my computer properly.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    There may be issues with your computer or graphics card if you started having issues after it was serviced, and the graphics issues are affecting another game also.
    It may be best to take the computer to another computer technician to have it checked over.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited April 2018
    If it is a failure of the update you could try uninstalling your Nvidia card via the Device Manager and then restart your machine. This has worked for me in the past. Don't worry, you haven't lost the device as the machine re-installs the card and finds the correct driver for it.
    I have the 850M card and had problems a year ago after an update and that problem was resolved by disabling then re-enabling a process but cannot remember what now. I found the solution on searching Google.

If all else fails you can rollback the driver concerned.
    rosemow wrote: »
    There may be issues with your computer or graphics card if you started having issues after it was serviced, and the graphics issues are affecting another game also.
    It may be best to take the computer to another computer technician to have it checked over.

Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable getting my computer looked at. Because last service costed over $500AUD.

I haven't actually got rid of the old cache files. Would that help fix the black areas?
    Simburian wrote: »
    If it is a failure of the update you could try uninstalling your Nvidia card via the Device Manager and then restart your machine. This has worked for me in the past. Don't worry, you haven't lost the device as the machine re-installs the card and finds the correct driver for it.
    I have the 850M card and had problems a year ago after an update and that problem was resolved by disabling then re-enabling a process but cannot remember what now. I found the solution on searching Google.

If all else fails you can rollback the driver concerned.

I tried Googling for it. But I could only find the rollback one.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi I've found your other topic that you commented on about this issue.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/878591/objects-appear-black-or-incomplete

However I've been playing The Sims 4. For quite sometime now. And everything was alright before I had my computer serviced last year in October.

My computer specs are for my Toshiba P70-A 18 inch which costed over $3000 AUD are as followed below.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 740M 8gb dedicated graphics
    Intel HD 3rd Gen 2gb integrated graphics
    CPU i7 2.52ghz
    500gb SSD
    1tb HDD
    DVD-RW Burner

Last year I had my computer serviced due to a Windows Memory bluescreen crash error. The computer technician that repaired my computer. Had tested everything. And all parts checked out healthy. And the computer technician told me that the lifespan is exceeding over 1000 days.

So I know it can't be my computer. I tried reinstalling a clean install of Nvidia graphics.

However I don't fully trust the computer technician that I took my computer too. As before I had my computer serviced. Everything was great for the graphics. I'm fearing that the computer technician had partly tampered with my computer's parts. Or damaged them whilst testing them. Plus the computer technician stole my USB stick that I loaned for him. To install a bootable Windows 10 tool on it. To get it out of a stuck bluescreen error. If another bluescreen error arisen. The computer technician claimed that he put my USB stick in my laptop bag. But when I decided to use my older Toshiba L70 which I also had serviced at the same time as my main one. The USB stick wasn't in my bag with the service receipt. So I have a bad feling that computer technician was dishonest with me. As he lied claiming that he put my USB stick in my laptop bag. I've checked all laptop side pockets and compartments. No sign of it. So the conclusion is I doubt that he fully was honest or fully repaired my computer properly.

You were way overcharged for your laptop specs even for AUD . That laptop is lower end and not really meant to run this game. The 700 series cards are already 4 years old. If you bought this laptop last year your hardware may have been used before. Did you buy this refurbished ? @chesterbigbird lives in Aus and can tell you where you can go should you choose to take your laptop elsewhere to be looked at
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    @DARIUSSILVERTO
    there is no way in this world i would pay $3,000 for that laptop, where did you buy it? and where did you get it serviced?
    Firstly your so called computer technician over charges and no one can predict how long your laptop is going to last.. let alone down to the hour.
    What phoebebebe13 said about being not a good laptop for gaming is correct, It's on the lower end of what can play the game in terms of hardware but it's also not built for gaming and heavy use.. gaming laptops are called gaming laptops for a reason, they have the extra cooling that a non gaming laptop (like your's) does not.
    OK so your texture issue i am going to pin point at your graphics card being lower end and also old and possibly getting too hot.
    I doubt the shader cache would do anything, but you can try a "clean install" using DDU
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    First download the new driver from Nvidia and save the file to desktop. Then download DDU
    Install DDU and open the program it should start the launch options.. select safe mode and then rebot in safe mode.
    Once rebooted open the program again and now select clean and restart.
    After restarted install the Nvidia driver selecting "custom install"
    Only install the Nvidia graphics driver and Audio driver and pyhsx, Do not install the 3D drivers or the GeForce experience.
    Here is little guide on usage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiJkMnDcg4

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Sorry I forgot to mention I bought it in 2014 January. From Harvey Norman. Who recommended this computer, to play most pc games with.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Sorry I forgot to mention I bought it in 2014 January. From Harvey Norman. Who recommended this computer, to play most pc games with.

Oh ok you brought from Harvey Norman.. that explains the price tag and their lack of knowledge of computers LOL
    Sorry Harvey Norman will do anything to sell you a product, When buying a computer again stop by here and ask someone or PM me OR look online at places like Mwave/pccasegear/affordablelaptops.
    It's definitely not meant for gaming let alone all games. Try what i said above and i would also suggest buying a cooling pad for when you are playing
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39719?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Iz1ttiu2gIVU2i9Ch2UOQ0vEAQYAiABEgJUufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited April 2018
    @chesterbigbird
    I actually do have 3D drivers and GeForce Experience installed. What does that do? Can that put a heavy load on the graphics or what?

Also I hadn't had the laptop mode enabled in The Sims 4 options. I enabled it and reloaded the game. I placed a new lot down. And it didn't cause the blacked areas on the ground anymore.

Here's the Nvidia 740M details
    20180410_1mj31E_display.jpg
    edited April 2018

Oh ok you brought from Harvey Norman.. that explains the price tag and their lack of knowledge of computers LOL
    Sorry Harvey Norman will do anything to sell you a product, When buying a computer again stop by here and ask someone or PM me OR look online at places like Mwave/pccasegear/affordablelaptops.
    It's definitely not meant for gaming let alone all games. Try what i said above and i would also suggest buying a cooling pad for when you are playing
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39719?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Iz1ttiu2gIVU2i9Ch2UOQ0vEAQYAiABEgJUufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh that's a wonderful cooling pad. But my laptop is an 18 inch size though. And yes after awhile my computer does get a bit hot after playing for more than 30 minutes.

I haven't had any issues with The Sims 3 with any missing textures. Even when its in full very high quality settings. Since The Sims 4 isn't fully an open world. I'm not sure if its the game. Because everything else works very smoothly. But its just the terrain textures at odd times when I place lots or move households.

I even play high end games that requires higher performances. Which my computer still can run and play really well.

As for Team Fortress 2 blacked door. I actually remember seeing someone else posting the same issue. That it was actually the map had issues. So I'm actually doubtful as my computer never had any problems with the missing terrain textures before. My computer was serviced.

What can I do about the computer technician? Should I demand my money back because everything was alright before?
    Post edited by GAMESweetG on
    I have good news. Ever since I enabled the laptop mode setting. I do not see any black terrain textures anymore. When I place a lot. I've also turned off the Nvidia Control Panel setting that Enhances the game. So I've fixed it. Glad that the blackness is no more.
  • lbailllbaill Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for posting your fix! I had 1 lot with a black ground, also. It looked just like your posted pic. I took your "fix" of enabling laptop mode and it fixed it. I had tried many other things before doing that. It was very frustrating!