Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why still no career pack?

Comments

• CreampuffcatCreampuffcat Posts: 162 Member
    In all honesty, I’d just like to be able to play as a bartender. They kind of get to see all the drama. They know almost everything. I’m fine with the careers we have now though and I’ll just wait until I see something I like....

.....Until then, Simmers.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    BlueOvale wrote: »
    This is one thing that's been bugging the player base since launch ; the lack of realistic careers.
    A game pack with loads of careers in it would sell really well, I bet.
    I even read that's it's one of the easiest things to implement since they're rabbit holes.

We have Get To Work.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    This is one thing that's been bugging the player base since launch ; the lack of realistic careers.
    I even read that's it's one of the easiest things to implement since they're rabbit holes.

I don't get the complaint about "no realistic careers."

We got culinary, writer, painter, and entertainer in base game. We also got tech guru which is a very realistic career depending where you live; tech companies are all over the world. We also got Business and Athletic patched into the base game when people requested more "normal" careers. The only careers that are really "out there" are Secret Agent and Astronaut. Even the Criminal career has a bit of realism if you're talking about mob/gang activity.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    While theoretically new careers is cool, the last thing we need is new rabbit holes to go to.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

We got culinary, writer, painter, and entertainer in base game. We also got tech guru which is a very realistic career depending where you live; tech companies are all over the world. We also got Business and Athletic patched into the base game when people requested more "normal" careers. The only careers that are really "out there" are Secret Agent and Astronaut. Even the Criminal career has a bit of realism if you're talking about mob/gang activity.

When I talk about "realistic careers", I mean careers you can realistically expect your neighbors or your former classmates to be in, so . Jobs in the medical field, law, education, bank, insurance or construction are far more common than painters, entertainers or athletes. Most of the careers in the game are too much out of the ordinary for me.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    There is no real reason why a Sim needs a job. All my Sims work from home and make more money not to mention less stress.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    While theoretically new careers is cool, the last thing we need is new rabbit holes to go to.

I actually prefer the old-fashioned rabbit hole careers. Means I can focus on other sims for a few hours.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    There is no real reason why a Sim needs a job. All my Sims work from home and make more money not to mention less stress.

I guess we play very differently! My Sims don't have jobs just for the money, they have jobs because it's part of who they are in the world I make for them. It's why I'm with @Neia in wanting more everyday type careers. And like @BabySquare I don't want them all to be active - sometimes I really want a Sim to go away for a while. I suppose if I played mostly one-Sim households I'd feel differently, but I don't. I do very much like the City Living job structure as a third option, and it's one I'd like to see for an active school system.

All that said, I'd rather see new careers integrated with other new gameplay not as a new pack. Except active school.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I wouldn't buy a pack with normal rabbit hole like careers, I would if it was active careers but we have get to work so I don't see that happening. Maybe in other eps we may get teacher or daycare or even celeb careers. I don't see another pack purely dedicated to them coming though.
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Just downloaded a bunch of new CC careers. I’m content for now.

I have been making CC careers. So fun!
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited April 2018
    As someone who works in the education field (and daycare), I would love for education and daycare jobs one day like in past games.

ETA: Since we got toddlers now, I would love for a home Daycare job in Sims 4, like the one we had in Sims 3! :smile: Or even something like paid babysitting!
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
    BabySquare wrote: »

I actually prefer the old-fashioned rabbit hole careers. Means I can focus on other sims for a few hours.

One of the great things about the CL careers is you've got the option -- you can either send your Sim to the rabbit hole or have them work from home. There are a set of mods on MTS that adds CL work from home options to the base game careers; I've been using those and they really breathe new life into the old careers. Also great for toddler care -- you can alternate which parent stays home with the kid(s).
    As someone who works in the education field (and daycare), I would love for education and daycare jobs one day like in past games.

ETA: Since we got toddlers now, I would love for a home Daycare job in Sims 4, like the one we had in Sims 3! :smile: Or even something like paid babysitting!

A pack that focuses on education for younger Sims (children/teens) adding homeschooling or study from home options (similar to the CL careers) would be a good addition; could include an active day care for toddlers. I'd also like to see a Self-Employed option patched in to cover jobs like restaurant ownership, retail, and freelancing, or even stay at home parent so you're not counted amongst the ranks of the unemployed when the game looks for Sims to fill jobs like mixologist or food stall jobs.
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I think we need more careers like Education or Law. Those could be implemented in a university pack. I do miss the military career as I used that alot in previous games. Overall I agree we need more careers both rabbit hole and active!
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    hevker wrote: »
    I think we need more careers like Education or Law. Those could be implemented in a university pack. I do miss the military career as I used that alot in previous games. Overall I agree we need more careers both rabbit hole and active!

I’d love to have more active careers. Rabbit hole ones I don’t think we need there’s a ton of career mods that are a lot better then the ones the sims team make.
    I think we need rabbit hole jobs, or jobs that have the option of "work from home" like the City Living careers, because it's nice to be able to send a Sim to work so you can focus on one of your other Sims if you've got a medium to large household. I can send a sim off-screen for several hours so I can have their spouse/partner play with their toddler to help him/her skill up. Or I can get everyone out of the house at work/school with just one Sim at home to go out and find collectibles or just go fishing nearby without the need to worry about the rest of the family.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Seeing how so many people don't want any more rabbit holes careers and so many others do want them, I think as @stilljustme2 says the best is a middle ground. The careers in CL are a perfect combination. You can work from home (so common nowadays with most jobs allowing you home office every now and then) or go to the classic rabbit hole. For my gameplay style is very important to have more variety of rabbit hole careers since I usually play households with more than 1 sim in them and I like to focus on other things while some sims are at work. It is also important for the stories I want to play.

I also would love "dead-end" jobs and part-time jobs for YA+ as well as self-employment.

I think a pack that combines all of the above could work really well as a GP.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

One of the great things about the CL careers is you've got the option -- you can either send your Sim to the rabbit hole or have them work from home. There are a set of mods on MTS that adds CL work from home options to the base game careers; I've been using those and they really breathe new life into the old careers. Also great for toddler care -- you can alternate which parent stays home with the kid(s).

I really enjoy that system too, and I also use these mods, especially for careers like Writer, Painter or Entertainer. Some fully active jobs like in GTW could be nice, but I can live without that, however, I hope they could continue the CL career style.
    hevker wrote: »

That's the two careers I also miss. Maybe they're not my favourite, but somehow their lack is quite noticible for me.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Neia wrote: »

When I talk about "realistic careers", I mean careers you can realistically expect your neighbors or your former classmates to be in, so . Jobs in the medical field, law, education, bank, insurance or construction are far more common than painters, entertainers or athletes. Most of the careers in the game are too much out of the ordinary for me.

Well, a lot of the jobs are actually realistic, they just get less so as you get promoted... that's kinda the way the game works. I suppose you could try real hard not to get promoted though...

For me, I'm just bored with the careers and the same requirements also. The 'semi active' careers are kinda a joke however, it's much easier to just let your Sim go to work than to do the 'work at home' tasks.

But either way, yes, I'd love more careers too. But they have to think of related careers in the same field that actually have a possibility of promotion... although it would be nice if Sims could get part time jobs too.

I'm guessing they didn't bother with insurance careers because it would be similar to the business career. Law/education would be nice though (we have a medical career already). Construction... sounds good but you would probably end up as the head of a company anyway.

An Education career would go well with a GP that addresses improvements in schooling for kids/teens. I'd like to see homeschool added, or some sort of CL-style "study from home". Kids/teens with good grades might only have to attend school 3-4 days a week, and/or get out earlier. That would give more incentive to get grades up.

I'd like to have a Self-Employed option; currently if your Sim is without a job (basically freelance), if you rotate to another family then that Sim is eligible for the game to put into one of the NPC jobs like Mixologist or Food Stalls or Restaurants. A Self-Employed option could cover those situations, especially for restaurant or retail store operators, or just making money doing freelance programming or as an amateur archaeologist.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Seeing how so many people don't want any more rabbit holes careers and so many others do want them, I think as @stilljustme2 says the best is a middle ground. The careers in CL are a perfect combination. You can work from home (so common nowadays with most jobs allowing you home office every now and then) or go to the classic rabbit hole. For my gameplay style is very important to have more variety of rabbit hole careers since I usually play households with more than 1 sim in them and I like to focus on other things while some sims are at work. It is also important for the stories I want to play.

I also would love "dead-end" jobs and part-time jobs for YA+ as well as self-employment.

I think a pack that combines all of the above could work really well as a GP.

Yes!! I know so many parents who work part-time, I would really like to see that in the game as well. Jobs that only go to lvl 5 so that you never get to that well-payed lvl 10 would also be nice. Just because you can tell different stories with that, now I demote sims but they get so sad then.

For fulltime jobs I would like the ones that are mentioned in the link below. They are supposedly from a survey but this is the rumor and speculations so it fits. I would love love love to have an active astronaut-career but I have no idea if this is real or not. My Mass Effect Commander Shepard Sim would be glorious!

The Sims 4 – Dream Jobs

The sims may now pursue careers that very few people have access to in The Sims 4 Dream Jobs. Go for glory and fortune by floating in space as an astronaut, leading dangerous heists as a burglar or by strumming guitar chords on stage!

-Become an astronaut – Launch into space and land in a fascinating space station. Conduct scientific experiments, float around, and even leave the station to roam around outer space.

-Lead the life of a scoundrel – Sims looking for a more thrilling lifestyle may become world-renown burglars. Successfully pull off risky heists, steal jewelry, and manage a company of international thieves.

-Rock your way to the top – Get a band together and go on tour to become rich and famous and live new experiences! Practice playing multiple instruments, ranging from the guitar to the drums, to better your performances.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/02/19/the-sims-4-game-pack-expansion-pack-survey-speculation/
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    Is it even possible to get fired in Sims 4? I know you can get demoted or get negative buffs from work, but I remember in Sims 2 you could lose your job over a variety of things. I miss the spontaneity of that and if they add more careers, I'd like to see a little more chaos added for more interesting gameplay.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    domina89 wrote: »
    Is it even possible to get fired in Sims 4? I know you can get demoted or get negative buffs from work, but I remember in Sims 2 you could lose your job over a variety of things. I miss the spontaneity of that and if they add more careers, I'd like to see a little more chaos added for more interesting gameplay.

I think one of my sims got fired.

If you want a challenge I would recommend a sim with the noncommittal trait and then adding the Irresponsible trait from the Parenthood Game Pack. It is like pulling teeth to get that sim to get anywhere in the career :p

traits.equip_trait Irresponsible

Source of cheat code:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sims4Cheats/wiki/parentcheats
    edited April 2018
    I would like to see some of the sims 1 careers come back, like slacker, military etc
    domina89 wrote: »

Yes I found out playing on console, it took my sim that long to go to work due to an issue on console with sims just standing around and not registering their queued actions that they kept missing work, and eventually got fired.