Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Installing the Sims 2 on Windows 10?

2...Next

Comments

• EmilytheSimmer18EmilytheSimmer18 Posts: 8 New Member
    MYBB for Sims 2, somebody need to find it for me!
  • WickedLlamaWickedLlama Posts: 1 New Member
    Hiya - I made an account because I have some questions along a similar line, but I can't make a new topic, because, you know, new.

So I have Sims 2 and a bunch of expansions installed on a Windows 10 laptop right now - all my data was on an XP before and I already moved it and did the thing in the video to make it work. I'm now getting a new Windows 10 laptop, though. Will I have to do it again when I move all the files over?

Also, when it comes to reinstalling the games, do I have to use the same discs with the same serial codes for my saves to load up as they used to? I still have the expansion packs but I gave away my old 4 disc base game. If I buy another 4 disc version and install that alongside the expansion packs, will I be able to run my data? Or are the serial codes linked to the data? If anyone knows, that would be great.

Would just get the base game and try to get the UC, but that's about 12 years worth of neighbourhood building I have on there, haha.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi, New Member :cookie:@WickedLlama

I would ask EA for the UC and say you lost your base game or gave them away and they lost them so you can't get them back. Having the codes for the rest of the packs should be enough to show you have it.

It might not install on a Win10- the old base game has trouble installing on Win10. So, you can ask. Many have gotten the UC without even having the game before. You might have to try a few times but being nice and asking is worth it if you like the game. :)
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Hiya - I made an account because I have some questions along a similar line, but I can't make a new topic, because, you know, new.

So I have Sims 2 and a bunch of expansions installed on a Windows 10 laptop right now - all my data was on an XP before and I already moved it and did the thing in the video to make it work. I'm now getting a new Windows 10 laptop, though. Will I have to do it again when I move all the files over?

Also, when it comes to reinstalling the games, do I have to use the same discs with the same serial codes for my saves to load up as they used to? I still have the expansion packs but I gave away my old 4 disc base game. If I buy another 4 disc version and install that alongside the expansion packs, will I be able to run my data? Or are the serial codes linked to the data? If anyone knows, that would be great.

Would just get the base game and try to get the UC, but that's about 12 years worth of neighbourhood building I have on there, haha.

There is no link between serial codes and data. I have successfully brought neighborhoods between computers. (It requires a rather large backup drive though.) Technically speaking, one could share a neighborhood between friends on two different machines and each person have a different version of the neighborhood (changing one wouldn't change the other,) but giving someone an entire neighborhood would be very tricky considering CC.

Your best bet is probably to get the UC and import all your neighborhoods and CC carefully. You will have to run the graphics rules maker again (if you've forgotten how, tutorial is in my sig.) Happy Simming!

Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited August 2018
    Any tips for someone who wants to play sims 2 on windows 8.1 rather then windows 10 (which I don't have)?
    I have the game CD's/DVDs and the download codes. Are there any tips on how I can get (or try to get) this Ultimate Collection that I apparently missed out on when it was originally available? I have the four disk version and the one disk DVD version.
    Any tips for getting it to play smoothly? I also have an integrated graphics card. I can install the game, but it the graphics on the map screen are not the best, but it plays pretty good in live mode I just want it to play better if I can.

Edit: I tried to watch the video that's provided, but it says video unavailable.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    simgirl542 wrote: »
    Any tips for someone who wants to play sims 2 on windows 8.1 rather then windows 10 (which I don't have)?
    I have the game CD's/DVDs and the download codes. Are there any tips on how I can get (or try to get) this Ultimate Collection that I apparently missed out on when it was originally available? I have the four disk version and the one disk DVD version.
    Any tips for getting it to play smoothly? I also have an integrated graphics card. I can install the game, but it the graphics on the map screen are not the best, but it plays pretty good in live mode I just want it to play better if I can.

Edit: I tried to watch the video that's provided, but it says video unavailable.

I would contact EA Support and ask for TS2UC since you have the game they would probably go ahead and let you install the version but you will have to install Origin if you don't have that installed.

The Graphics Rule Maker is necessary for some of us still on Windows 7, Windows 8 or even Windows 10 because the game doesn't know about newer processors, video cards and or even newer chips because it ended in 2008. So, it's Easy Info tool that sets what the game sees and uses thinks all new hardware is too old to play. The Graphic Rule Maker changes the Graphic Rule SGR file in Program files so the game will know hey, this hardware is good, let it run nicely. :)

As far as intergrated graphics it doesn't mean you have to run things on low etc. Some of the newer chips all these years are way beyond what was built in 2008 or earlier. So, I wouldn't worry about that. But you do need and should install Graphic Rule Maker and run it to make the game see your hardware since I have no doubt is not in the game files and they need to be in the game files so the game can run right.

ETA: I think I posted on the wrong thread, I was trying to post this on a newer question. Sorry, about that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • TheMuiscalSimTheMuiscalSim Posts: 6 New Member
    I really wish to play the sims 2 - it sounds soo good!
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I have the discs... Is there any way I could run them on origin??? Without having the ultimate collection? I missed that promotion. :(:(:(
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hejix wrote: »
    I have the discs... Is there any way I could run them on origin??? Without having the ultimate collection? I missed that promotion. :(:(:(

There is no way to link your disks to Origin. It is either one or the other, disks or Origin. I am not sure if they will still give out the UC to someone wo has disks, I think they slammed that door shut.
  • jrizzo0425jrizzo0425 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have looked through this whole thread trying to figure out how to install The Sims 2 and all my expansions on Windows 10, but the video in the beginning tells you the fix to the problem is to install it on Vista. I don't understand how this is a fix on how to install it on Windows 10. Can someone please help me?
  • Breegirl113011Breegirl113011 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ive just downloaded the sims 2, and did the patches you can download to help it run on windows 10. Well when you open the game it doesnt automatically open. The screen revolution changes and the screen freezes for like maybe 5-10 mins then automatically loads the game and i have no trouble playing it then. Is there a way to fix it to where it doesnt freeze and "no responding"? I love this sims 2 and would like to get it to run with no issues. Thanks in advance! :)