Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Primer: Avoiding Game and Neighborhood Corruption

Comments

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Nah, it's what I do for fun these days. :)
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
    I got a question:
    I created a neighborhood and then I created a bunch of sims for said neighborhood, but in Pleasantview. I couldn't find said sims in the bin of the neighborhood I wanted so I put them on lots, then placed the lots with the sims in the gallery.
    It was the only way to have those sims in the new neighborhood.
    Will this cause issues?
    NK4koaX.png
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    earthgirl wrote: »
    I got a question:
    I created a neighborhood and then I created a bunch of sims for said neighborhood, but in Pleasantview. I couldn't find said sims in the bin of the neighborhood I wanted so I put them on lots, then placed the lots with the sims in the gallery.
    Will this cause issues?

It has already. :( Moving Sims in houses to the lots and houses bin will shatter their data. Plus there will be remaining shreds of these Sims in Pleasantview as well, which will attach to newly created Sims there.
    Banner.png
    I got a question:
    Will this cause issues?
    It has already. :( Moving Sims in houses to the lots and houses bin will shatter their data. Plus there will be remaining shreds of these Sims in Pleasantview as well, which will attach to newly created Sims there.

Yes: Sims can never be moved between neighborhoods. It will shred character files in their original neighborhood and any neighborhood you place them in. To be safe, open Pleasantview back up, put the occupied houses full of sims back down, and delete them from the lot catalog.

You cannot create a sim for a neighborhood in another. Use CAS in the neighborhood that you want to place a sim in, or pre-create individual sims in Bodyshop. You can make a HOUSE for them elsewhere and package it or move it to another neighborhood as long as sims have never lived in it.

When you create a sim in Bodyshop, they do not automatically appear in the families bin for a neighborhood: you have to go into CAS to create families. A sim created in bodyshop will not have relationships, a zodiac, etc. automatically: the only thing that you can make in Bodyshop is their appearance.
  • MirrorMasqueradeMirrorMasquerade Posts: 13 New Member
    Looks like my game's been thrown to the dogs of corruption, so to speak. One of the pre-made families just reset themselves.

I played a little bit with the Curious brothers, wanting to bring some more green to strangetown in the form of aliens, booted it up today, and bam. Both the born aliens were gone.

But i had modified the house, placing new objects and even making it bigger, and THAT stayed, yet all three brothers had their skills reset to their defaults, their memories wiped to the point where they started (All they remember is meeting a few of my sims as passerbys) And pascal's pregnancy started again.

I didn't play any other pre-made family, so i don't know if this would've just happened to the Curious brothers, but well...

I guess at this point i might as well go all the way. Give bella back her friendship with Therapist, move her in, see how it goes. I'm likely gonna reinstall and get the clean neighborhoods. Good thing i haven't played for long.

imgurDOTcom/a/MIENr
    Looks like my game's been thrown to the dogs of corruption, so to speak. One of the pre-made families just reset themselves.

I played a little bit with the Curious brothers, wanting to bring some more green to strangetown in the form of aliens, booted it up today, and bam. Both the born aliens were gone.

But i had modified the house, placing new objects and even making it bigger, and THAT stayed, yet all three brothers had their skills reset to their defaults, their memories wiped to the point where they started (All they remember is meeting a few of my sims as passerbys) And pascal's pregnancy started again.

I didn't play any other pre-made family, so i don't know if this would've just happened to the Curious brothers, but well...

I guess at this point i might as well go all the way. Give bella back her friendship with Therapist, move her in, see how it goes. I'm likely gonna reinstall and get the clean neighborhoods. Good thing i haven't played for long.

imgurDOTcom/a/MIENr

Yeah, disappearing sims? Probably fubar.

My guess is that either they've spontaneously become NPC's or Townies (this seems to be semi-common when Object NPC interactions bork a family.)
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Houston, I have a problem!

I've been playing in my neighborhood, haven't added any new CC. I noticed 2 things this morning. First, I had 4 families living in 1 apartment complex and now the neighbors are all townies. Second, the fridge only has the option to make many or make one (or whatever those options are called). What have I done and what do you suggest I check to try and root out the issue?

Side note - I got an error upon entering the building and I clicked reset. That probably messed it up.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I've been playing in my neighborhood, haven't added any new CC. I noticed 2 things this morning. First, I had 4 families living in 1 apartment complex and now the neighbors are all townies. Second, the fridge only has the option to make many or make one (or whatever those options are called). What have I done and what do you suggest I check to try and root out the issue?

Side note - I got an error upon entering the building and I clicked reset. That probably messed it up.

The neighbors are all townies: do you mean that the unplayable apartment residents were Al social group members and they're now completely different townie sims? Or did you have only playable neighbors and all but one family suddenly became unplayable?

With BoolpropTestingCheatsEnabled True, shift click the fridge and force error. This might fix the fridge, possibly the apartment, but I advise you to move out the playable sims immediately and place on a small, non-apartment residential lot.

SimPE and the Hood Checker will be your best friends here: the Hood Checker will hunt for specific errors in addition to what you mentioned. SimPE will allow you to open up your sims and check if they still have character data: It's possible for sims saved as playable to become set as townies and it be reversable, but if they've become NPC's or they suddenly have no memories, it's a bad sign.

If you discover that the sims are fine and simply need to be re-set as playable rather than townie, do that via SimPE and move them out of the apartment complex. Check that they still have all their memories and relationships.

Before you move the last family out, you will want to slap down the bat-box and force errors on all in-world and off-world, to see if a non-interactable object is fudging up the apartments - possible candidates for apartment problems are genie money that didn't have enough room to fall, disease tiles that didn't reset properly, and tiles that have accidentally become inaccessable for routing.

If you have a never lived-in copy of the apartment complex in your lot bin, I encourage you to delete the lot you have been using (check with the Lot Inspector first,) and replace it with a new copy, just in case. You can then move families back in if all seems well, though I'd run the hood checker periodically after you "fix" all this to make sure it wasn't a symptom of a different problem.

Go ahead and post any weirdness you find in hood Checker so I can see if I know what it is.
    edited April 2018
    I don't remember what neighborhood corruption manifests as, but despite moving those sims out and in another neighborhood, my game is doing fine.
    No bugs yet whatsoever.
    The only thing that happened is one of my sims disappearing from the control panel, but that got fixed when I exited and re-entered the household. I've been playing with no problems ever since and I'm rotating 3 households.
    NK4koaX.png
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I just got UC a few weeks ago, and I totally forgot how careful I have to be about everything :joy: So thank you for this! It was very informative to read, and easy to understand. Hopefully it can help me keep my game safe :)

Just a quick question though. What is a good and easy way to backup my neighborhoods/sims? Is it as simple as making a few copies of folders like in TS4? Or do I have to do something completely different? Also, I’m sorry if you already mentioned this, and I just missed it :blush:
    Star Wind Flower Sun

The neighbors are all townies: do you mean that the unplayable apartment residents were Al social group members and they're now completely different townie sims? Or did you have only playable neighbors and all but one family suddenly became unplayable?

With BoolpropTestingCheatsEnabled True, shift click the fridge and force error. This might fix the fridge, possibly the apartment, but I advise you to move out the playable sims immediately and place on a small, non-apartment residential lot.

SimPE and the Hood Checker will be your best friends here: the Hood Checker will hunt for specific errors in addition to what you mentioned. SimPE will allow you to open up your sims and check if they still have character data: It's possible for sims saved as playable to become set as townies and it be reversable, but if they've become NPC's or they suddenly have no memories, it's a bad sign.

If you discover that the sims are fine and simply need to be re-set as playable rather than townie, do that via SimPE and move them out of the apartment complex. Check that they still have all their memories and relationships.

Before you move the last family out, you will want to slap down the bat-box and force errors on all in-world and off-world, to see if a non-interactable object is fudging up the apartments - possible candidates for apartment problems are genie money that didn't have enough room to fall, disease tiles that didn't reset properly, and tiles that have accidentally become inaccessable for routing.

If you have a never lived-in copy of the apartment complex in your lot bin, I encourage you to delete the lot you have been using (check with the Lot Inspector first,) and replace it with a new copy, just in case. You can then move families back in if all seems well, though I'd run the hood checker periodically after you "fix" all this to make sure it wasn't a symptom of a different problem.

Go ahead and post any weirdness you find in hood Checker so I can see if I know what it is.

Thanks for all this!

Here is what happened. And I think I caused the wonky-ness by using the cheat to enable building because I wanted to add a wall.

I have an apartment with 4 units. Each apartment houses my created/played families. Usually I get the kids outside playing in the street so the families know each other and spend time outside every evening. But when I entered the lot this last time, the neighbors doors were the wrong last names. So I exited without saving and went to play a different family in the same complex. They were there, but again, the names on the doors weren't right. Then the fridge issue happened the night before, which is what I was originally trying to fix. Next time I went in, the beds disappeared, but they were still there because I couldn't place anything over the spot where they were. I turned moveobjects on and placed the beds, but they disappeared right before my eyes. So then I was like..something major is going on.

So that's where you and your help come in. I ran the hood checker and all was well. Then I used the bat box and the lot inspector and they didn't find any errors. So I moved my sims out and deleted the lot. I went into one of the empty buildings and built the wall the way I wanted it and saved it. Then replaced them in the neighborhood. Moved the families back in and everything was fine. The fridge worked, the beds stayed put, and the neighbors were my played families again. When I looked up the disappearing beds, it seems like others had it and it was after they used the cheat to enable build mode on the apartment.
    Faberries wrote: »
    I just got UC a few weeks ago, and I totally forgot how careful I have to be about everything :joy: So thank you for this! It was very informative to read, and easy to understand. Hopefully it can help me keep my game safe :)

Just a quick question though. What is a good and easy way to backup my neighborhoods/sims? Is it as simple as making a few copies of folders like in TS4? Or do I have to do something completely different? Also, I’m sorry if you already mentioned this, and I just missed it :blush:

Go into Documents>EA Games>Ultimate Collection>Neighborhoods and back up the neighborhoods you want to keep to something. (Your desktop, a large jump drive, etc.

For sims - backing them up is a longer process involving SimPE and Bodyshop. Note that you can't skip repackaging in body shop for totally safe backups. http://modthesims.info/t/94489

Thanks for all this!

Here is what happened. And I think I caused the wonky-ness by using the cheat to enable building because I wanted to add a wall.

I have an apartment with 4 units. Each apartment houses my created/played families. Usually I get the kids outside playing in the street so the families know each other and spend time outside every evening. But when I entered the lot this last time, the neighbors doors were the wrong last names. So I exited without saving and went to play a different family in the same complex. They were there, but again, the names on the doors weren't right. Then the fridge issue happened the night before, which is what I was originally trying to fix. Next time I went in, the beds disappeared, but they were still there because I couldn't place anything over the spot where they were. I turned moveobjects on and placed the beds, but they disappeared right before my eyes. So then I was like..something major is going on.

So that's where you and your help come in. I ran the hood checker and all was well. Then I used the bat box and the lot inspector and they didn't find any errors. So I moved my sims out and deleted the lot. I went into one of the empty buildings and built the wall the way I wanted it and saved it. Then replaced them in the neighborhood. Moved the families back in and everything was fine. The fridge worked, the beds stayed put, and the neighbors were my played families again. When I looked up the disappearing beds, it seems like others had it and it was after they used the cheat to enable build mode on the apartment.

My guess: when you edited the apartment you invalidated one or more apartments, which apparently freaks the lot out like whoa. Making sure to only edit unoccupied apartments will prevent this in the future, especially if you turn a never-lived-in-lot residential, do the editing, and then turn it back.

The only parts of build mode that are enabled on apartments that shouldn't have consequences are changing floor and wall coverings and plants - messing with walls, fences, doors, or foundations (not windows, I don't think,) causes the game to recalculate the boundaries of each apartment and possibly freak out. Beds and fridge were probably affected due to restrictions in game about which on-lot sims can use them (so the neighbors aren't constantly raiding your fridge.

Glad to be of service!
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I don't remember what neighborhood corruption manifests as, but despite moving those sims out and in another neighborhood, my game is doing fine.
    No bugs yet whatsoever.
    The only thing that happened is one of my sims disappearing from the control panel, but that got fixed when I exited and re-entered the household. I've been playing with no problems ever since and I'm rotating 3 households.

And one day you'll start to experience the signs in all of the neighborhoods.

You want to go ahead and accept the fact that one day, your neighborhoods just won't open. It will cause your game to crash. That's end stage neighborhood corruption. I doubt you'd get here without more signs.

Here are a few ways it can manifest:

1. Sims jumping at inanimate objects like they would if they were reacting to a ghost. The Sim in the picture below is reacting to a microwave, no ghosts are active as you can clearly see that it is daytime.

ElakNWq.jpg

2. Sims start pathing weirdly.

o5ri08b.jpg
    QJg0Wgn.jpg
    d1GAXJw.jpg

3. Inappropriate wants and fears. Like a toddler who wants to woohoo. Or a toddler or child with a LTW that is not Grow Up.
    4. Invisible Sims whom you can't direct to do anything and you can't even kill them.

5. Towards the end you could even load up a lot with Sims that were born in game and live with family members to find that they don't remember growing up and they no longer recognize their family members as family members. And that despite being all adults that their aspirations are all Grow Up. And that their personalities are all 0/0/0/0/0. And despite the fact that you left doing specific things and they hadn't just moved in, that they're all standing out by the mailbox like you just moved them in.

These have all happened to me, except for #3 (I don't recall seeing anything inappropriate, but I could have missed it). Luckily, I had a back up after #5 happened. Then I went on to experience items 1-4 above. I was playing an alphabet legacy. My corruption occurred beginning of generation C's time as a young adult (deleted a few Sims from the Sim bin and placed down a lot that I had downloaded that had a Sim on it) and beginning of generation D (placed down a lot that had been previously lived in by Sims in a different neighborhood).

#5 happened about halfway through generation D going through university. #1 and #2 stayed local to that house, which was the house I had downloaded that had been previously lived in. That was generation D as adults.

#4 happened during the middle of generation H raising generation I. It wasn't my main legacy Sims that were affected, but one of my generation D spares and his wife (who happened to be my Simself).

Do not go around preaching that moving Sims between neighborhoods is without risk. It is not. Your neighborhoods will become corrupted 100% of the time. The only variable is how quickly does the corruption appear and how quickly does it progress to end stage. Mine never reached end stage because I had a back up when #5 happened and I spent DAYS after #4 happened manually recreating my legacy neighborhood using a combination of Body Shop, SimPE, and CAS.

This is NOT a lesson you want to learn the hard way. Take it from me. I learned it the hard way and I wish I could have realized it in time to do the manual recreation after #5 happened. Because it wouldn't have taken as long to do.
    No bugs yet whatsoever.

It can be very slow. It took me a year and a half of playing to manifest obvious signs of corruption in Riverblossom Hills 2.0: I moved an object NPC into a family and the lot corrupted after about a year (granted, a year in college where I rarely got to play every week,) and it started as sims randomly being unable to leave the lot. School, work, "walk to lot" all could be selected and would just drop out of their queues. I aged up one of the teens and sent him to university. Played one sim year there, moved one of his dorm mates into a greek house, opened the game one day to find that there were no playables in the greek house or the dorm: they'd all been converted to NPC and were missing portions of their character files. It resulted in a whole-hood reconstruction that I still haven't finished (because ONE of the fifteen lots I was able to extract from this neighborhood that had once been lived in has issues and I still don't know which one.)
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    This has been a very informative thread. I'm perpetually worried about corruption in my game and live in slight dread of the day that it all blows up no matter how careful I think I've been :s

I have a question about the RC Car. I've read in the past that this object is treated as an NPC or something along those lines and cannot be deleted, is this the case? Can anyone elaborate on it at all? Thanks!
    I heard the same thing and I'd like to know, too.

But to be honest, before I knew about all this corruption business, I had a game that was 18 generations deep with many rc cars bought and deleted, even lots. I'd say it was a couple of sim centuries of game play and I never had corruption that broke the game.

Now...after the fear has been instilled...I live in constant worry.
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Lol, yeah, I know for sure that I've deleted it every time Santa has brought it. It didn't even occur to me that it might not be safe to do so, so I definitely facepalmed when I read that it was one of those random objects you have to be careful with.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Iirc- it's not adding the RC-car to the family. That's all I remember about it.

And don't mess with the Penguin. :)
  • MirrorMasqueradeMirrorMasquerade Posts: 13 New Member
    I have some questions regarding moving lots, if anyone would be kind enough to help.

Is it safe to move a lot that was once inhabited to the lots & houses bin? I know moving an inhabited house there will turn everything to pickles, but if i move the family out first, and then the house into the bin, is that safe?

What about placing said house into a different neighborhood? Say i place a house down in Veronaville, have some sims live there for some time, then move them out and decide i want said house for a different neighborhood. Can i put the house into the bin, then place it down in strangetown, or will that cause corruption beyond repair?

And finally, what about pre-made families living in pre-made houses? Can i move the Pleasant family out of their house, move their house into the bin, then put it down in Strangetown?
    edited April 2018
    Vacant lots are safe despite them having been inhabited, but you'll lose all the furniture so you'll have to refurnish them, sadly.
    When you move the sims out you're removing all the saved data, including the objects.
    NK4koaX.png
    edited April 2018
    I have some questions regarding moving lots, if anyone would be kind enough to help.

Is it safe to move a lot that was once inhabited to the lots & houses bin? I know moving an inhabited house there will turn everything to pickles, but if i move the family out first, and then the house into the bin, is that safe?

What about placing said house into a different neighborhood? Say i place a house down in Veronaville, have some sims live there for some time, then move them out and decide i want said house for a different neighborhood. Can i put the house into the bin, then place it down in strangetown, or will that cause corruption beyond repair?

And finally, what about pre-made families living in pre-made houses? Can i move the Pleasant family out of their house, move their house into the bin, then put it down in Strangetown?

If you don't use the stay shrub, houses without graves are potentially okay to move, but the safest method of using a previously inhabited house elsewhere can be found here. You don't even need to move the family out for this method, AND you can take new furnishings with you. Essentially, it works because you are copying the house's last build/buy mode save state. I would still put it down in a throwaway neighborhood and check it out with the lot inspector and batbox first, but that's me. More on this when I've actually done this method myself on my current computer.

It is always safer to build all your houses, save a copy to the bin, and then put a fresh copy down in each neighborhood.
    Post edited by Scribal_Goddess on
    mortia wrote: »
    This has been a very informative thread. I'm perpetually worried about corruption in my game and live in slight dread of the day that it all blows up no matter how careful I think I've been :s

I have a question about the RC Car. I've read in the past that this object is treated as an NPC or something along those lines and cannot be deleted, is this the case? Can anyone elaborate on it at all? Thanks!

The RC car and a variety of rideables that have been cloned from it, as well as the "npc" in the non-servo OFB robots, appear to be deletable safely (when at rest, so don't do it with move Objects On...) based on my research but should never be made selectable in any way. The NPC's appear to be generated at the start of movement and deleted at the end, presumably so that each will be tied to the object and you can have no cap on the number of RC cars on a lot. At a guess, I'd advise against deleting them while they're in motion. You may also make the most current game objects read only (see here) to add further protection - it won't make NPC's safe to mess with, but it prevents the game from changing those files. This will probably conflict with global mods that affect those files, however, due to the highlander rule of game modding. (There can only be one...) That said, knowing this I'd be very afraid of a global mod that changes the RC car's behavior or animations anyway.

Another thing to be wary of: One thread I visited posited that the NPC may be stuck on a lot if you save while the RC car is in motion. Looks like the safest thing to do with the piece of junk is to delete the object before anyone interacts with it. :) It's also possible (though not probable) this got fixed in OFB when they added the robots. The RC car is a base game object, my bet is it's way buggier than any later successors, because basegame is an absolute mess.
    edited April 2018
    That link was helpful. However I stiiiill have a question:
    If I save some of the occupied houses in my custom neighborhood that I originally placed from Pleasantview using the copy/paste method, will I still risk the new neighborhood to be a ticking time bomb since I first moved them out using the wrong method? Will they carry the corruption with them?
    I'd want to know before I do anything regrettable.

EDIT: Also, I used the copy/paste method as mentioned, did everything to a T and the lots I supposedly "saved" arent showing up in the lot catalog AT ALL. :/

EDIT2: nevermind, I found them. Looks like they transferred over without sims. I kept looking in the occupied lots section.
    Post edited by earthgirl on
    NK4koaX.png
    That link was helpful. However I stiiiill have a question:
    If I save some of the occupied houses in my custom neighborhood that I originally placed from Pleasantview using the copy/paste method, will I still risk the new neighborhood to be a ticking time bomb since I first moved them out using the wrong method? Will they carry the corruption with them?
    I'd want to know before I do anything regrettable.

EDIT: Also, I used the copy/paste method as mentioned, did everything to a T and the lots I supposedly "saved" arent showing up in the lot catalog AT ALL. :/

EDIT2: nevermind, I found them. Looks like they transferred over without sims. I kept looking in the occupied lots section.

You want them to transfer over without sims, so it's prefect. :)

If you put an occupied lot in the lot bin it probably isn't safe to evict the residents, put it in the lot bin unoccupied, and carry on, but the game files method should still be safe.