Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hollowness' Sims 3 Showcase Thread

Comments

• HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    TY! I have done a sort of 🐸🐸🐸🐸/drifter park ever since I first tried sims 3 first was in Moonlight Falls (Supernatural expansion). And I just had my fishing/outdoor loving 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sims live there 24/7 (they rarely wanted to go home). And this lot was big enough for multiple caravans (usually I only did 1 before).

Usually I turn on the Egyptian music channel on the radio I have on the one deck, light the campfire and have my fishing /drifter sims hang out all day/night long :p
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited April 2018
    I wouldn't have thought there would be a way to make a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 camp fit into MH, but you managed to do it. Makes me feel like making a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 just to play in MH now. :)

I agree, @Jessabeans. DH's lots are amazing. :)
    I wouldn't have thought there would be a way to make a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 camp fit into MH, but you managed to do it. Makes me feel like making a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 just to play in MH now. :)

Which reminds me I have also put a more bright mini camp for the fortune teller career rabbit hole too.

Od80uxE.jpg
    aUtU0Xs.jpg

Its put on the side of the Passe Park (small park) lot.

Its kinda hard cause its so bright red :s
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    The colorful camp looks great, the colors do leap right out at you in MH. Do you have that one in your studio too? I don't remember it.
    edited October 2019
    Supernatural Hangout Lots, one is a MH existing lot renovation/makeover and the other is the Supernatural Expansions The Toadstool lot renovation/makeover.

hLUXX0e.jpg
    Twisted Tavern - Download
    Type: Commercial (Supernatural Hangout)
    Size: 20x25
    Notes: Renovation/Makeover Lot.
    Full Gallery

AL2oCT8.jpg
    Hexes and Toads - Download
    Type: Commercial (Supernatural Hangout)
    Size: 40x40
    Full Gallery
    Post edited by HollownessDevour on
    edited April 2018
    Jessabeans wrote: »
    The colorful camp looks great, the colors do leap right out at you in MH. Do you have that one in your studio too? I don't remember it.

No that was a quick reno - I haven't uploaded yet. I can eventually add as another renovation lot, as you can see I am trying to play catch up with the MH renovation/makeover lots. I am trying to get them all lined up so basically you all can have my redone Hollowness' (steampunk/Victorian/whimsical/voodoo/drifter) version of Midnight Hollow, so you guys see how I play it while still keeping the MH outdoor theme intact (since everything is grayed and gothic-fied originally).

Which reminds me I have also put a more bright mini camp for the fortune teller career rabbit hole too.

<snip>

I really like the look you got there, although it doesn't quite fit in with that world, does it? :)

You could sort of fix that by covering up the rabbithole with a building shell, and then give that shell the appearance you like. Just don't put a door in the building shell or block the front of the caravan, or it might interfere with routing. I *think* the only entrance/exit to the rabbithole is the front door, so blocking the rest of it shouldn't be a problem.

There are also (and yes, I know this is CC) rabbithole replacements on MTS that are recolorable. Anyone who wants to can always download that and replace the rabbithole, then recolor it to their heart's desire.
    No that was a quick reno - I haven't uploaded yet. I can eventually add as another renovation lot, as you can see I am trying to play catch up with the MH renovation/makeover lots. I am trying to get them all lined up so basically you all can have my redone Hollowness' (steampunk/Victorian/whimsical/voodoo/drifter) version of Midnight Hollow, so you guys see how I play it while still keeping the MH outdoor theme intact (since everything is grayed and gothic-fied origially).
    I have a bit of a problem playing in MH. Although I love the ambiance, sometimes I find it hard to see things. (Isn't it fun how our vision goes as we get older?) I usually use a lighting mod in my game, but unfortunately the particular one I use for other games makes MH all... wrong. I think I might need to find a darker one specifically for when I play that world, that isn't QUITE as dark as the default lighting. :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    It is great that you are uploading your madeover /renovated Midnight Hollow versions of the lots that you have in your MH world! :) Simmers will be able to download these versions for their own MH world. The versions suit the world so well! It is great to have builds that fit in with the world type and outdoors areas.
    edited April 2018
    @MiaSkywalker I'm using burnt waffles dream dimension (I edited it so there are earlier evenings, and added in Nilxis's clouds to it.) it looks fine in any world so it takes less swapping out mods but there is a great post about using a different lighting mod for different worlds here, aminovas's MH plant recolors, and Shimrod's MH terrain replacement mod. Together it still looks like a weathered Victorian village but it's possible to see during the afternoon.

These were taken at 8 in the morning in my Midnight Hollow.
    tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg

If you really like the look of Midnight Hollow brnt waffles also has a lighter version of it here.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
    edited April 2018

<snip>

I really like the look you got there, although it doesn't quite fit in with that world, does it? :)

You could sort of fix that by covering up the rabbithole with a building shell, and then give that shell the appearance you like. Just don't put a door in the building shell or block the front of the caravan, or it might interfere with routing. I *think* the only entrance/exit to the rabbithole is the front door, so blocking the rest of it shouldn't be a problem.

There are also (and yes, I know this is CC) rabbithole replacements on MTS that are recolorable. Anyone who wants to can always download that and replace the rabbithole, then recolor it to their heart's desire.
    No that was a quick reno - I haven't uploaded yet. I can eventually add as another renovation lot, as you can see I am trying to play catch up with the MH renovation/makeover lots. I am trying to get them all lined up so basically you all can have my redone Hollowness' (steampunk/Victorian/whimsical/voodoo/drifter) version of Midnight Hollow, so you guys see how I play it while still keeping the MH outdoor theme intact (since everything is grayed and gothic-fied originally).
    I have a bit of a problem playing in MH. Although I love the ambiance, sometimes I find it hard to see things. (Isn't it fun how our vision goes as we get older?) I usually use a lighting mod in my game, but unfortunately the particular one I use for other games makes MH all... wrong. I think I might need to find a darker one specifically for when I play that world, that isn't QUITE as dark as the default lighting. :)

I do not do CC nor mods, and really I picked that lot because trees hide most of the color, but yes it is the most out of place lot I have and did only as a quick add of the rabbit hole, I really don't feel like putting much effort in it since it is so minor and mostly hidden anyways.

I have the opposite problem I find most Sims 3 worlds too bright MH, MV and Moonlight Falls are the only ones my eyes don't bleed (other worlds I can play but only in small doses and building in them can be difficult with how bright the terrain is since i build for long periods of time). Why I like MH darkness the most is it helps pop the interior of buildings (and in some cases sims) - usually I have to build underground for a similar effect.

and FYI the pic I did was in the middle of the night so looks way darker than it really is.
    I agree, some of the worlds are a little too bright. I still think it's impressive that you don't use mods, especially with your sims you've made so many great looking sims without any sliders.

I used to get the Nvidia dark screen bug where I could barely see in most worlds (or even the world selection screen) because the whole game was super dark, I would have to put the buy debug lights in just to see if it wasn't mid day. I honestly couldn't see anything in MH whatsoever when it first came out so I just used the build/buy items and hairstyles in other worlds. It was briefly amusing getting a jump scare when the mail carrier would show up, but I never looked around the town.

Once I didn't have that problem any more I found some of the worlds too bright, mostly the sunny ones Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Roaring Heights, Isla Paradiso. Especially the bloom, it's still a little strong even with bloom reduction mods. It could be that I usually only play at night, so it's pretty dark in the room I am in sure it seems brighter on the screen.
    I agree, some of the worlds are a little too bright. I still think it's impressive that you don't use mods, especially with your sims you've made so many great looking sims without any sliders.

I used to get the Nvidia dark screen bug where I could barely see in most worlds (or even the world selection screen) because the whole game was super dark, I would have to put the buy debug lights in just to see if it wasn't mid day. I honestly couldn't see anything in MH whatsoever when it first came out so I just used the build/buy items and hairstyles in other worlds. It was briefly amusing getting a jump scare when the mail carrier would show up, but I never looked around the town.

Once I didn't have that problem any more I found some of the worlds too bright, mostly the sunny ones Lucky Palms, Sunlit Tides, Roaring Heights, Isla Paradiso. Especially the bloom, it's still a little strong even with bloom reduction mods. It could be that I usually only play at night, so it's pretty dark in the room I am in sure it seems brighter on the screen.

Some mods are needed for fixing things, I used Nraas MC for a bit and may use again if needed for fixing issues. But for building/CAS I like to show what I can do within the limitations of the game. With a few in game cheats of course :lol:

I have the opposite problem from both of you; things tend to be too dark for me. I have to use a fairly bright lighting mod (one of burnt waffles' as well - can't remember which one) that also has daylight during the night. It has nothing to do with my video card, and everything to do with my eyes. (My mother's problem is even worse; she has macular degeneration, and it's like she has this huge black hole in the middle of her vision. She quite literally has to read using peripheral vision. I tried that once, and couldn't manage it, so I have complete sympathy for her.)

But because I was already using a lighting mod, I decided to go all out and use one that's sort of fantasy. Since I mostly play medieval fantasy games, it fits. But in MH it kind of makes me laugh. :D.

I really like the lighting mod you showed that you use for MH. But although it looks nice, I might have trouble seeing well in it, particularly at night. I noticed that you said yours has a night that is only from 9pm to 6am, so that's not TOO bad, but another issue I've had is the blueness at night; that really hurts my eyes.

The bloom also hurts; I found a mod to get rid of it, but I haven't tried it yet. Unless a build uses a lot of white, it's usually not a problem for me, though.

I don't use any lighting mods at all while I'm building, or when I'm doing screen captures for displaying a build. If I did that, it would make the build look different from what it would for the players who are downloading it, and that's not fair to others. In fact, the only mods I use at all while building are all the Nraas ones, because they're so helpful. I don't want to inadvertently add some CC to a build, or have a mod that does something weird to one of the items, and then have the file be corrupt when someone downloads it. Just as I won't install a build that has CC in it, I'm not going to foist my own CC off onto another player.

But I DO use CC in my own game, so I was just figuring that if a user REALLY wants a goth looking fortune telling rabbithole, it's possible to manage it. :)
    edited April 2018
    @MiaSkywalker I'm sure you are familiar with s3PE, to adjust day and night settings just takes changing one number in the mod file so it would be pretty easy have a longer night. If you use burnt waffles mod's it's under the 'sky' ini, change numbers these two lines to whatever you'd like in 24h time.

SunriseTime = 6.0
    SunsetTime = 18.0

You can also adjust the sun settings very easily to turn your favorite lighting mod into a generally brighter one. Or this mod is great because it lets more light in from windows so interiors are brighter. You could try out the plant and terrain recolor to see if the lighting mod you light looks less silly in there. I use terrain replacements for Midnight Hollow, Hidden Spring's grass and the sand of Barnacle Bay when I play.

I have a few copies of my mods/installed store content folders for different purposes. I do use some cc myself, but I have it in an entirely different game folder than I build with. Everything in my studio custard-checked cc free, one lot has a pattern attached but everything else is CAP free too. I used to take my lighting and gameplay mods out for screenshots so my pictures are exactly how it would look in the game but I've left it in for the past couple because I've been so short on time, I don't think it's fair either to misrepresent a build or sim. Any of my older builds screenshots, I would patiently wait for the right moment in the sims day for the light to be nice for pictures. When I was building and uploading regularly I didn't even bother using lighting mods because I rarely even switched to my 'play' folder.

I use tons of mods myself, some for building, some for gameplay, changes here and there. I only use limited CC when there just isn't an EA option and I convert it to packages to avoid installing it through the launcher, but still remove it for building.

I'm sorry about your mom, my husband has very early macular degeneration and the tiny spot has already started to interfere with his work. (He is a Systems administrator so he looks at computer screens all day and it's tricky not to misread lines.) I can't imagine what it's like for her with it so advanced.
    edited October 2019
    This is a renovation/makeover lot of Lonely Literary Café, since it seemed brighter than most MH lots I kept it up with this revision.

tdHncpm.jpg
    Whimsical Café - Download
    Type: Commercial (Hangout)
    Size: 40x40
    Full Gallery

I had a hard time deciding between two color schemes, so under the central rug is the alternate version and alternate floor tile is found on ceiling or under stairs.
    hR7PagJ.jpg
    Oh, I love how you used some of that Alice in Wonderland type stuff! What a cozy eccentric little place to visit!
    Oh, I love how you used some of that Alice in Wonderland type stuff! What a cozy eccentric little place to visit!

Thanks it one of my favorite themes :D
    It's like the only time I am not so dark/bold in colors :p
    Your renovation of the cafe is gorgeous! I love the hanging chairs in the gazebo area, and great idea putting in a playpen.
    Your renovation of the cafe is gorgeous! I love the hanging chairs in the gazebo area, and great idea putting in a playpen.

I was kinda going for laid back hangout, I was gonna put a barista but with the tea tables and so many npc's needed for current baristas in this neighborhood; I decided against and figured that npc's would more likely drink tea, play or read.

Yes this lot is 'sort of' kid/toddler/baby friendly. :) But I have had my sims have 'day time dates' (or let's go for coffee/tea type dates) here :lol: usually goes well too - enough to do but not too many distractions that your date wonders off too much :p
    Whimsical Cafe looks so very nice! :) Very nice furnishing of the lot, both indoors and outside! The Wonderland items throughout the build are such very nice touches! The way that the tables and chairs have been set up through the areas of the venue and the type of chairs and tables used looks so very nice. Very nice gazebo area! Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the hanging chairs. The picket fencing looks very nice. Very nice interior wall and floor patterning! The wall decor adds a great look to the areas of the build.
    It is a very nice cafe! :)
    I even more steampunked Steampunk Townhouse Labyrinth! and Made it darker for MH. I put one of my fav Sims in here Montgomery Bevel. I love this version soooooo much more than the original. Enjoy!

VIye9Io.jpg
    Steampunk Townhouse Labyrinth V2 - Download
    Type: Residential
    Size: 20x15
    Bedrooms: 2 Bedrooms
    Notes: This revision is for Midnight Hollow the original is in my studio.
    Floor Plans:
    soGiXCE.jpg
    HzEgjhY.jpg
    DdxLCqJ.jpg
    U5SDpqC.jpg
    YQi4n2t.jpg
    zxaZn1m.jpg
    Full Gallery
    rosemow wrote: »
    Whimsical Cafe looks so very nice! :) Very nice furnishing of the lot, both indoors and outside! The Wonderland items throughout the build are such very nice touches! The way that the tables and chairs have been set up through the areas of the venue and the type of chairs and tables used looks so very nice. Very nice gazebo area! Sims will enjoy sitting resting on the hanging chairs. The picket fencing looks very nice. Very nice interior wall and floor patterning! The wall decor adds a great look to the areas of the build.
    It is a very nice cafe! :)

TY most of the shell and set up is original from a Midnight Hollow lot, so I can't take all the credit :lol:
    The Midnight Hollow version of Steampunk Townhouse Labyrint looks great! :) It is a very creatively designed, built and furnished build! The darker and more steampunk themed furnishing gives a great look to the build!
    It is a very nice and detailed Steampunk home ! :)
    Great townhouse makeover, I love the color pallet you used. Especially the umbrella on the table outside.
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi, @HollownessDevour! So glad to see you're back and still into steampunk, I see. :smiley:

*bookmarks*

You, @AmaraRena and @murfeel really got me into it, back in the day.

It's funny how everyone here is talking about the game lighting and mods. I, too, have never put mods or cc in my game and I looooove midnight hollow, the sims and their backstories. However, I'm one of those that think the world is just too dark, so I haven't played it very much. I tried a couple times, but yeah. I think your renovations/add ons may change my mind. o:) The buildings, as you would expect in a store world, are pretty plain inside, so I'm happy you're taking up the challenge of redoing a lot of them. With the lighting being so dark imo and so many to redo, that would be so overwhelming, for me.

I look forward to seeing your new sims. I think you did such a fantastic job at your older ones, always making them look unique, that I cannot wait to see your newer creations.
    Jessabeans wrote:
    @MiaSkywalker I'm using burnt waffles dream dimension

These were taken at 8 in the morning in my Midnight Hollow.

tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p6rtjvrO8h1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg

Gorgeous! :heart_eyes: So tempting! @Jessabeans, is this what it looks like just by using a lighting mod or did you do some work on the world somehow? It just seems so much different, since the original lighting is so dark.